[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Moves and abilities that shouldn't exist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9
File: Scald2PointOh.jpg (40 KB, 282x365) Image search: [Google]
Scald2PointOh.jpg
40 KB, 282x365
ITT: Moves and abilities that shouldn't exist
>>
>>25845877
Scald shouldn't exist either

It's a very poorly balanced competitive move
>>
>>25845877
it's the entire gimmick of the legendary

fuck scald tho
>>
Yeah but it's not like anyone is using the move
>>
I like the idea of stealth rocks, but taking away 50% of your health is bullshit
>>
>>25845909
I agree, one move completely defining the meta is bad, It being equivalent to two Spikes on neutral pokemon is fucking stupid, it should go
4xR 1/64
2xR 1/32
N 1/16
2xW 1/8
4xW 1/4

That way, 30% of all Pokemon aren't invalidated by their typing
>>
>>25845877
I just imagine it as a lasting burn injury rather than the burned Pokémon literally getting set on fire.
>>
>>25845877
>5 PP
>Volcanion's signature move

Nigger, you act like every pokemon can learn it.

Inb4 muh scald viability
>>
>>25845935
>It being equivalent to two Spikes on neutral pokemon is fucking stupid,
Not as stupid as getting this shit wrong when you could literally look it up in 10 seconds.
>>
>>25846043
I decided to go with what's in my head instead of looking it up, forgive me namefag!
>>
>>25845935
neutral rocks is one layer

also instead of limiting damage, it should've had type exclusivity to rock types like some water abilities and moves do to water types
>>
What's the issue with water-type moves which can cause burns?
>>
>>25845935
>>25846043
>>25846059
How about
.25x 1/16
.5x 1/12
1x 1/8
2x 1/6
4x 1/4
>>
>>25846065
its a meme
>>
>>25846074

Okay, but why did it become one?
>>
>>25846077
its a meme dude
>>
>>25846077
>>25846065
because a fucking water type move has a better chance to burn than most fire type moves
>>
>>25846086

Ah, it's about the percentage. I don't follow competitive Pokemon much, so I'm out of the loop on a lot of these trendy jokes you kids have.
>>
>>25846086
Which makes sense, you get worst burns from scalding water than from fire due to thicker medium and that fire can be put out fast but water wants to stick to and absorb into you
>>
>>25845935
yeah dude instead charizard talonflame and pinsir should be free to run around doing whatever they want

fukc rocks they're why delibird is PU >_<
>>
>>25846065
>the only regular pokemon that cant get burned either hate water attacks or are mediocre
>high burn rate, good base power and pp
>high accessibility to nearly all water types, the best of whom were already incredible walls before
>>
File: 1389475878068.png (50 KB, 325x212) Image search: [Google]
1389475878068.png
50 KB, 325x212
>>25846107
>It makes sense that you're more likely to be burned by a cloud than by being engulfed in flames
>>
>>25846086
it's the same base power and burn chance as lava plume.
the issue is that most water-types are big bulky tanks/walls, whereas most fire-types are fast sweepers (bar heatran, who's probably the only pokemon that occasionally runs lava plume, though it runs fire blast more because it has high enough base sp.a that it can be invested tanky and still do a lot of damage, or it's running WoW already). sweepers need the extra damage from flamethrower/fire blast/heat wave (or in water's case, hydro pump, which is why you don't see a lot of scald starmie), whereas most bulky water-types can deal with an 80BP stab move because they can get hit more than twice and live.
the whole issue is not that it's a 30% burn, but that water as a type is broken because it's incredibly defensively and offensively, as compared to steel (good only defensively) and fire (good only offensively)
>>
>>25846122
>a cloud
>>
>>25846133
Anon if I need to explain to you that clouds are made of steam I don't think you're old enough to be here
>>
>>25845909
Rock types should remove Stealth Rock upon entry (although still take the damage they normally would have).
>>
>>25846140
You're retarded
>>
>>25846140
>He thinks clouds are made of steam

Water Vapor =/= steam, dipshit. Also, Scald is boiling water, not steam.
>>
File: wigglytard.png (72 KB, 210x243) Image search: [Google]
wigglytard.png
72 KB, 210x243
>>25846113
yeah dude, dozens of Pokemon should be actually worthless just to keep smogonbird in check
>>25846122
You're joking, right?
>>25846140
Oh god, you're retarded. Clouds are made up of ice crystals condensing with dust in the air, they are closer to snow than to steam you idiot.
Pic related just for you
>>
File: funny.png (23 KB, 595x160) Image search: [Google]
funny.png
23 KB, 595x160
>>25846164
>Water Vapor =/= steam
>boiling water =/= steam
This is some ">implying owls are birds" meme shit, right?
/vp/ isn't seriously so retarded that they don't know steam is the gaseous form of water, right?
>>
>>25846178
>yeah dude, dozens of Pokemon should be actually worthless

those Pokemon are worthless because they're actually worthless. Not because of stealth rock.

Stop using muh pebbles as an excuse for your bro being shit when there are plenty of SR weak pokemon that are some of the best in the game.
>>
>>25846184
Scald involves being sprayed with boiling liquid water, steam has absolutely nothing to do with it
>>
>>25846189
>Best in the line
>Worthless without Rapid Spin teammate
The only reason Smogonbird is still good is because it was never made to survive a turn anyhow, it Priority Brave Birds its target into oblivion then dies. Anything that wants to be defensive now has to have a Rapid Spin teammate and the Stealth Rocker dead to even be viable
>>
File: haha.png (81 KB, 198x181) Image search: [Google]
haha.png
81 KB, 198x181
>>25846178
>Steam is water in the gas phase, which is formed when water boils. Steam is invisible; however, "steam" often refers to wet steam, the visible mist or aerosol of water droplets formed as this water vapor condenses.
>In meteorology, a cloud is an aerosol comprising a visible mass of liquid droplets or frozen crystals made of water or various chemicals.

>"steam" often refers to wet steam, the visible mist or aerosol of water droplets formed as this water vapor condenses
>a cloud is an aerosol comprising a visible mass of liquid droplets or frozen crystals made of water
Go back to /b/ science threads

>>25846205
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Steam_Eruption_(move)
Did you even read the fucking OP
>>
>>25846212
What you are describing is Mist, not Steam. Steam is never used to describe anything other than the Gaseous state of water caused by boiling water, Mist is condensed mater droplets (still in liquid form) on the ground while clouds form in the Ice layer. In fact the info you just posted supports that, so I don't know what your deal is
>>
Any move with an accuracy other than 100%
Any move whose secondary effect has a chance to happen other than 0% or 100%
>>
File: Hold Back.png (81 KB, 300x180) Image search: [Google]
Hold Back.png
81 KB, 300x180
>>
File: Hold Hands.png (42 KB, 400x239) Image search: [Google]
Hold Hands.png
42 KB, 400x239
>>
>>25846189
>those Pokemon are worthless because they're actually worthless. Not because of stealth rock.
Articuno
Moltres
Jumpluff

I could go on......
>>
File: v in a shellnut.jpg (118 KB, 682x306) Image search: [Google]
v in a shellnut.jpg
118 KB, 682x306
>>25846231
>Steam is never used to describe anything other than the Gaseous state of water caused by boiling water
Except in the most common usage which I was using and was explained in the same post, which is visible "wet" steam, an aerosol of condensing water. Which, as you should know if you are not a complete mongoloid trying to school people on the internet about a subject you have marginal knowledge of, is a more basic general term synonymous with other terms for water aerosol such as"cloud" and "mist"

>clouds form "in the Ice layer"
Clouds, mist, and fog are all literally the same phenomena; an aerosol of condensed water suspended in our atmosphere. Clouds form in the upper atmosphere and are not at all necessarily an aerosol of ice, it is just as plausible for them to form from the liquid condensation of water vapor, and the much lower pressure higher in the atmosphere significantly reduces the necessary temperature to initiate the boiling, condensation, and freezing of the water. Of course, being ice or liquid water is irrelevant to their categorization as a water aerosol.

Please buy a 5th grade science textbook and read up on your water cycle, it's never too late to start learning.
>>
>>25846258
what?
>>
>>25846290
Yeah, they're worthless because they're worthless. Like I said. It has nothing to do with rocks. Articuno would still be shit even if SR didn't exist.
>>
>>25846316
Are you from England or something? Because I have read up on weather and meteorology a bit and I have seen the term Aerosol, Mist, condensation, and vapor used to describe clouds, but never "wet steam". I have only ever seen steam used to describe the gaseous forms of things caused by boiling. You are using some terminology I have never come across before.

They are the same phenomenon, but they are called different things based on their location.

None of this however, pertains to a justification to calling boiling water "clouds" however
>>
>>25845881
>scald
>not using surf and toxic
>>
Scald makes conceptual sense. It shouldn't exist though, or at the very least not be a nigh universal TM for water types.

>Super effective on the type immune to burns.
Fuck off scald.
>>
File: hi.gif (1 MB, 400x221) Image search: [Google]
hi.gif
1 MB, 400x221
How much would things change if more Fire-types got Scald
>>
>>25846902
Not at all, water types would still be better at using it
>>
>>25845909
I think 25% should be the max
>>
>>25846266
>>25846258
Don't you dare.
>>25846902
They wouldn't because most fire types are sweepers whereas most water types are bulky. If you really need to burn something as a fire type you'll probably use WoW
>>
>>25846266
M-MODS
>>
>>25846207
>Smogonbird isn't meant to survive a turn
Clearly you have experienced the joy of the Bulky Acrobatics set. A lot of teams just fold under the pressure from Talonflame not killing itself from Birdspam.

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp

No item means you can tank Knock Offs form an unboosted Bisharp and survive to cripple it with WoW. It is a previously unseen level of obnoxious.

You can also make it specially Defensive and use Taunt over Swords Dance and have wonderful little Stallbreaker.
>>
>>25849747
Well, Fire types would have Water coverage for taking down those damn Rock types that would otherwise wall them. Some fire types even have usable bulk.

Scald would be pretty good on Arcanine (Bulky sets, especially), Volcarona, Torkoal, and maybe even Houndoom. Charizard-Y would be great with it, but Drought weakens its power, so maybe not.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.