[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay /vp/. I haven't played any Pokemon games in years.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1311644156058.jpg (5 KB, 148x150) Image search: [Google]
1311644156058.jpg
5 KB, 148x150
Okay /vp/. I haven't played any Pokemon games in years.

>played through Blue and Yellow back in '96
>played Gold/Silver + Crystal
>played FireRed, enjoyed it
>played Sapphire + Emerald, didn't enjoy them much
>lost interest until just recently

Feel like getting back into it, so which Gen/Game do you suggest I try out after all this time?
>>
>>25841621

The gen V games are the best imo, but they're way too alienating and different for new fans and people who haven't played Pokemon in a while imo.

HeartGold/Soulsilver is definately most ideal for people who enjoyed both the old games, and for people who want something new. Plus it has loads of shit to do and content to enjoy so it'll get you back into the series 100%. So yeah, HG/SS. Idk how much they go for these days, but it's definitely worth the money.
>>
>>25841621
>played through Blue and Yellow back in '96
Pretty sure you mean 1998.

But anyway, as >>25841645 said, HG/SS is a generally good starting point to hop into. The Gen V games are also good to hop onto after that.
>>
>>25841680
1999* you mean in ww release
>>
You have three options;

>Option A) HeartGold or Soulsilver.
They're remakes of Gold/Silver, but with the more recent Pokémon mechanics, and they slowly introduce you to some of the more modern Pokémon, while keeping it SUPER nostalgic and easy for old timers.

>Option B) Black or White.
These games were a "soft reboot", in which, until you beat the Champion, restricted you to using entirely new Pokémon. This will throw you in the deep end, but may give you the strongest sense of adventure and discovery.

>Option C) X or Y.
The most recent games, in the current Gen. Easy to pick up and play, with 3D models, and will be directly compatible with the next Gen of games, at least in regards to sending over your Pokemon, if that matters to you. These games are most relevant, currently.

Other thoughts;

>Platinum
Platinum is an absolute solid game, and fairly challenging even. However the mesh of new and old Pokémon, while not being in a familiar setting, may not be what you're looking for.

>OmegaRuby or AlphaSapphire
Avoid avoid avoid! You didn't like Sapphire or Emerald, you definitely wont like these. Extremely watered down games, that are still plagued with the problems that their predecessors had.

>Black 2 or White 2
These games are fantastic. If you do decide to play Black or White, then DEFINITELY play these after. They are stock full of content, and are perfect because they flood you full of choice in regards to classic Pokémon, which will be delightful for you following the predecessors. (Make sure to get the corresponding version (Black & B2, OR White & W2) as the Memory Link Feature will actually unlock you even more content!
>>
>>25841746
>Platinum
I'm kind of in OPs boat and I tried Platinum. Even with 3x speed on Drastic it was too slow. I was trying to use purely new Pokémon but they all seemed to be weird and gay except Starly and Shinx. I didn't like the starters either, I boxed the monkey after I got Starly leading.
>>
>>25841746
OP here. I'd heard good things about HG/SS, but part of me wants to dive into something new and unfamiliar, so I may check out Black/White. Same for Platinum, some challenge sounds inviting, as looking around the general opinion seems to be that the games are much easier these days.
>>
>>25841837
If you're looking for challenge, then Platinum and Black/White are hands down the hardest.

Platinum has, universally agreed, the hardest Champion. Usually throws off even seasoned players.

Black/White has a very, VERY different endgame. They actually tried to mix things up, and make more mature games, story wise. Even from the moment you start, you'll notice you play as slightly older characters than usual. These games have, universally agreed, the most challenging villain in the series.

If difficulty is important, then avoid X/Y. They're much easier than even the average Pokémon game.

HeartGold and SoulSilver are probably the largest games, with the highest quality, but the difficulty is sort of average.
>>
>>25841746
>(Make sure to get the corresponding version (Black & B2, OR White & W2) as the Memory Link Feature will actually unlock you even more content!

IIRC, it doesn't actually matter. White 2 can download data from Black, it will just pretend that protag caught Zekrom.
>>
OP again.
All right, thanks for the info. Guess it's Platinum then Black/White for me then, shouldn't be difficult to find.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.