[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How will we even know whether Sun/Moon will be gen 6.5 or 7?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
How will we even know whether Sun/Moon will be gen 6.5 or 7? it's not exactly a clear cut deal.

I think that the deciding factor should be EITHER an official confirmation from game freak OR the presence/absence of backwards compatibility. if you can trade pokemon from sun/moon to XY and ORAS, it's 6.5. If not, it's 7 unless GF says otherwise.

personally I have no idea or opinion either way.

pic somewhat related
>>
>>25838213
Well, if i can move my Yellow VGC mons to Sun or Moon, but i cant to XYORAS, maybe, MAYBE gamefreak is trying to say something.

That, and the fact pokebank was not only created for gen 6, seeing we have 100 boxes, so POKEMON #3000 WHEN!?
>>
It's Gen 7, I don't know how it is even being thought to be Gen 6.5, I mean in the trailer they show Gen 1-6, so it's clear the last show, Sun/Moon was Gen 7
>>
>>25838257
>Well, if i can move my Yellow VGC mons to Sun or Moon, but i cant to XYORAS, maybe, MAYBE gamefreak is trying to say something.
Confirmed SM is gen 1
>>
>>25838213
If we can't transfer from previous games until postgame it's pretty much Gen 7.
>>
>New Region?
>New Pokemon?
>New regional pokedex?

It's a new generation. Period. End of discussion.
>>
>>25838213
S/M are gen 7.

if we get new starters = Gen 7

in the direct trailer for s/m they only showed main games:

R/B
G/S
R/S
D/P
B/W
X/Y
AND
S/M

so gen 7
>>
>>25838213
If it has new Pokémon, it's Gen 7

There's no such thing as a fucking half generation
>>
>>25838347
fuck off "henry"
>>
>>25838213
SM is already confrimed to only be compatabile to Gen 6 by Pokemon Bank. Plus we know we are getting new Pokemon. It's clearly Gen 7.
>>
The only defense gen 6.5 fags have for their convoluted theory is "they said they wanted to surprise us" as if skipping Z in favor of a new gen isn't enough of a surprise. Yes they can break patterns, that doesn't mean they'll do so in the most spectacular and unexpected way possible just because you're butthurt over skipping XY for the Z that never came.

Occam's razor is a thing, you guys need to look into it. The explanation that makes the fewest assumptions is usually the correct one. Gen 7 assumes that new Pokémon mark the start of a new generation, which has been the case up to now. What does gen 6.5 assume?

>new pokemon are introduced in the middle of a generation for the first time in series history
>the secondary non-remake games of a generation don't star the third member of the mascot trio for the first time since gen 2
>more specifically they don't star an alternate form of said third trio member despite alternate forms existing, when this has been the case since gen 4
>the secondary non-remake games based on title alone don't have any apparent connection to the primary games

It also seems to be the general consensus that the single most important factors determining what gen the games are a part of are mechanics and battle compatibility, neither of which we have any confirmation of, so that's two more assumptions right there. It's more likely that new Pokémon come with new mechanics and no battle compatibility as has always been the case.

"They want to surprise people" is a copout that makes way too many assumptions, when the simplest explanation is that they decided to skip Z in favor of a new gen, which most people didn't see coming. That's the surprise. Just because you don't like the surprise doesn't make your crazy theory more likely.
>>
This is how its going to work out:
>its going to be gen 7, gen 6.5 is impossible
>gen 6.5 fags will keep moving the goalposts and keep calling it it gen 6.5 even though it makes no sense
>>
If there is new starters, new engine, and 100+ new mons, then we'll know for sure. Otherwise it'll be a grey area. The only reason we have this discusision now is because XY only had 70 new mons and felt like have a generation.
>>
>>25838409
/thread
>>
>>25838425
there is no gray area.

new pokemon
new region

NEW GENERATION. That's it. Nothing else matters.
>>
>>25838485
Naw. It can just be a romahck and have that stuff. You need a new engine to have a new gen.
>>
>>25838213
I don't have a clear opinion either because of that. I rather wait for an official announcement. The gen 6.5/7 war is pointless although somewhat funny.
>>
>>25838347
ORAS is gen 6.5 because it has pokemon that are incompatible with XY.
>>
>>25838503
But thats wrong.

It's not a romhack if Gamefreak/Nintendo releases it.
>>
>>25838528
ok dude pff
>>
>>25838309
I get the joke, but it's the fact that you can trade backwards, not forwards, that lends credibility to the new gen claim. Going from vc rby to sm is forward.
>>
Gen6.5fags just try to deny that gen 6 is dead and X/Y were simple and tasteless, they try to think GF shall fix it with new pokemon, new starters, new region, new story BUT related to Kalos(?)

X/Y were like a beta, ORAS are the final product, let Gen 6 rest in peace and enjoy the new generation

I guess even if GF says it's a new generation the shall say "but it's gen 6.5 bc my biased opinion, everyone is wrong, i am roit"
>>
>>25838519
So are BW2 5.5?
>>
>>25838605
>this shit again
Not a gen6.5fag, but BW2 are perfectly compatible to BW. Kyurem and Keldeo forms will simply appear with the standard sprite in the BW cartridge, but with different stats
>>
>>25838588
Gen 6 fag here. You have it backwards. I think Gamefreak is so jewy that they split the game up into two pairs just to squeeze more money out of fans. I fully expect SM to have just as few or fewer new mons and to be equally lame and bland.
>>
>>25838213
If it has the same overworld as XY and ORAS, it's Gen 6
Easy, isnt it?
>>
>>25838646
But why would it? Its been 3 years.
>>
>>25838646
It's a new region though so it's not.
Easy isn't it?
>>
>>25838409
Sadly this. They can officially announce it being Gen 7, with new starters, new region, and no compatibility with Gen 6 without Pokebank, but there will be people still crying "Gen 6.5!"
>>
File: BTFO.png (171 KB, 595x469) Image search: [Google]
BTFO.png
171 KB, 595x469
>>
>>25838213
>Trade
GSC Gen 1.5 confirmed
>>
File: whichgen.png (171 KB, 619x496) Image search: [Google]
whichgen.png
171 KB, 619x496
Problem is that GF has never refered to "generations" just "new pokemon"
I'm certain that they do divide pokemon the same way as we do, but seeing as we don't know exactly how they divide the pokemon, it could be they would one day release new pokemon without releasing new starters, region, engine etc
But assuming that it won't be a new gen is kind'a weird, seeing as we have so little to go on
The biggest argument is basically that there were so few new mons in XY.

If you exclude wishful thinking, most people wouldn't even make this assumption at all
>>
STOP
SAYING
"6.5"
YOU ABSOLUTE
FUCKING IDIOTS
>>
>>25838976
>GF has never refered to "generations"
Iwata stated in X and Y's reveal direct that they were "the next generation"
>>
>>25838857
When has Germany ever been right about anything, remember how they lost both world wars?
>>
>>25838257
ALL THINGS CONSIDERED, THEY REALLY SHOULD INCREASE BANK SIZE BY NOW. MY BOXES ARE ALMOST FULL.
>>
File: 1458410096885.png (8 KB, 494x376) Image search: [Google]
1458410096885.png
8 KB, 494x376
>>25838213
It really confuses me why people continue to take part in this discussion, getting themselves overly worked up about it. Everything has already been said on the subject. It all now just boils down to people purposefully egging others on and succeeding.

Amazing how threads like these can get a shit-ton of replies, yet more interesting threads don't.
>>
>>25838213
>you can trade pokemon from sun/moon to XY and ORAS, it's 6.5
G/S/C confirmed for Gen 1.5
>>
>>25839197
>not using the homebrew version of Pokebank
Absolutely kickass

>>25839201
>>25839006
>>25839006
>>25839006
>>25839006
>>
>>25838213
>the presence/absence of backwards compatibility. if you can trade pokemon from sun/moon to XY and ORAS
We already know compatibility is out, Sun and Moon have BRAND NEW Species of Pokemon that aren't in the code of Gen 6, we also know they won't do big updates for the games to bring in added content, so Gen 7 it is.
>>
>>25839225
But, that's not true.
>>
>>25839225
Well, OR/AS megas aren't in X/Y or its code. Same thing. Don't bullshit "dex me the fuck out".
>>
>>25839201
This.

Gen II was the 2nd generation.
NO ONE questions that.
Just like NO ONE should question that Sun & Moon are Gen VII

Honestly, the fact that threads like this keep popping up just prove to me that /vp/ posters just adore acting like idiots and are only doing this for some sort of "in joke".

It's Gen VII

There's:
>new region
>new Pokemon

It's a new generation.
100%

No other way to call it.
>6.5
No.
>>
>>25839275
It's because 6.5 would be 6th gen regardless
IN ANY CASE, SEE >>25839006
>>
>>25839244
It is 100% safe to infer it IS true.
XY didn't get patches to include the Mega Pokemon that ORAS added in, they simply became obsolete.
SM will become the new "standard" for battling, as it'll have the newer Pokemon, and, arguably, new Megas.
There's no indication that they'll patch the new Pokemon or new Megas into XYORAS.
Just like before.
This is Gen VII, and anyone who states otherwise is literally trolling.
>>
>>25839294
See >>25839255
>>
>>25839284
Right, so, if they made a "Z" or, god forbid, a "Delta Emerald" it'd be a "6.5", but its not.
It's Gen 7.
My point still stands.
>>
>>25839303
Are you retarded?
Any game that is in the same generation is THAT generation. I'm saying "6.5" is a bullshit term because if it's "6.5th gen", it's still 6th gen. The .5 only causes confusion and arguments which are never agreed upon by even the same sided people.
>>
>>25839144
just checked, you're right
he says "The next generation of the pokemon sreries for nintendo 3DS"
Which means they do use that term, unlike what many Gen6.5fags think
>>
>>25839303
>>25839327
I'm against all ".5" or whatever things because of this. It does not make fucking sense to put such a label with arbitrary definitions when we know what can be solidly pointed at as what has defined generations. There hasn't been any confusion about it until "6.5" became a thing.
>>
>>25839327
>are you retarded
Nope.
Thanks for checking.
>>
>>25839720
No problem :)
>>
>>25838334
>>25838330
>>25838301
>>25838347
>>25838408
etc

yeah hey guess what that's not what the thread is about

i somewhat agree, but shut up.

and besides, just because i think it's gonna be gen 7 doesn't mean i can't see why it COULD be gen 6.5.

>>25838409
THIS is what the thread is about, though the bias is stupid. OP was asking what the deciding factor will be.

i think that >>25838425 and >>25839225
make the most valid points so far. backwards compatibility is without a doubt not going to be fully available due to the new pokemon, BUT game freak has been blurring the lines between generations for YEARS. there is a formula that we have reason to expect, and there are rules that we can invoke, but the bottom line is Game Freak has been taking Pokemon through a transitory period ever since the backlash against Gen IV, making drastic changes to what pokemon is and what is expected out of a pokemon game. Honestly, all bets are off. Our old metrics don't work anymore, so Sun/Moon could be anything. Gen 7 is the safer bet but Gen 6.5 is by no means impossible.

It all depends on what game freak values most in the pokemon franchise. if they value the third-game tradition and value continuity and richness in their storytelling and gameplay, it will be 6.5. if they value the three year cycle and overall approachability by new players, then SM will be gen 7. unfortunately, GF pretty obviously prefers the latter, so although I want 6.5, I expect 7.[/spoiler.]

final note: >>25838976 is INCREDIBLY biased toward gen 7. there are so much more pro-gen 6 arguments, like the unused moves and the tons of in-game clues, like the strange souvenir and the "battle frontier is under construction" sign.

now someone screencap this so i never have to write it out again
>>
>>25839953
oh goddammit i fucked up my spoilers with that period

my point still stands
>>
>>25839953
please
>>25839006
sorry
>>
If SM
>can battle with xyoras
>can trade with xyoras
>has the exact same graphics/aesthetic as xyoras, down to having super training/amie/pss on the bottom screen
>no battle mechanics changed from xyoras
>uses same pentagon system as xyoras

Then it's gen 6, no questions asked. Region and Pokemon don't change anything if EVERYTHING ELSE with the game matches gen 6.
>>
>>25839953
Why do you ask people to screencap for you? why don't you just screencap it yourself, and repost it next time you need to speak that jazz?

And the "strange Souvenir" is not a clue to it being gen6.5, or anything else at all
And battle frontier stuff is about as valid as the house that guy in Vermilion hadn't finished building by the end of GSC
I will add the unused moves though
>>
>>25839989
It really has to fulfill that it can battle with XY/ORAS, or rather in the extreme case where it doesn't, have the exact same battle mechanics.
The other things are things that will most likely naturally come if it is gen 6.
>>
>>25838503
Black and White run on the same engine as Gen 4 just with a 3d modelled battle scene and they improved the graphics of the overworld.
>>
>>25840972
Mentioned in another thread.
>>25839935
>>25839912 (latter part)
>>
>>25840972
>>25841012
Ah fuck whatever, I'm tired, excuse me.
>>25838503
As just replied, no.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.