[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rank the gens in terms of story
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10
File: N.png (12 KB, 134x176) Image search: [Google]
N.png
12 KB, 134x176
Remakes count as their original gens.

5>6>4>3>1

I played Gold as a kid and find SS too boring to beat so I can't give an accurate judgement for Gen 2.
>>
File: 43431241234.png (294 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
43431241234.png
294 KB, 600x450
>>25833161
5>3>4>2>1>6

6th is last because it wasn't memorable in the slightest for me. I can't even remember what the bad guys goal was.
>>
>>25833382
To kill everyone except team flair.
>>
>>25833161

2>4>5>1>3>6

>Johto
Johto's feels like an adventure and you being caught up in different things rather than setting out to stop something. You meet an evil team, see a legendary, go to the Pokeathelon, and so on, and it's all unrelated.

>Sinnoh
Sinnoh did the "bombastic story" the best. The Lake explosion is my favourite Evil team setpiece, and the Distortion World, and Cyrus getting lost in it rather than trying to change was chilling

>Unova
Unova's story is overrated, but the idea of some people regretting what they did and the two sides of the group pushing against each other was great. N was a good character, Colress was a good character.

>Hoenn
Hoenn's story was silly, the two evil teams were idiots (they got a lot better motivations in the remakes) and the fact that you were the chosen one destined to save the world not once, but TWICE was shit.

Zinnia sucks and that set piece disaster Episode sucked.

>Kalos
I despise this shit. Everything felt forced and random. They tried to fuse Team Rocket's simple motivation with Team Galactic's huge bombastic ideas, and it was shit. AZ was forced, everything just kept jumping forward. Worst rivals and companions.
>>
>>25833161
>spoiler
You can use emulators and cheats to speed up the battles if that's the reason you found it boring.
>>
Anyone who says Gen 5's story is shit stopped playing after the second gym.

5>4>3>6>2>1
>>
File: 1457737260846.jpg (17 KB, 348x342) Image search: [Google]
1457737260846.jpg
17 KB, 348x342
>>25833518
>Johto's feels like an adventure and you being caught up in different things

Can't all of the games be boiled down to "set out for an adventure and be caught up in different things"?

>You meet an evil team, see a legendary, go to the Pokeathelon, and so on, and it's all unrelated.

So you like the fact that the story is disconnected from the gameplay?
>>
File: 1457158057426.gif (12 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1457158057426.gif
12 KB, 500x500
>>25833764
In later games, the legendaries, evil team, and a tonne of characters are tied to one event.

Johto's story feels more like a natural world because several different unrelated events happen. The world existed before you did and are just passing through

>So you like the fact that the story is disconnected from the gameplay?

what
>>
>>25833977
Oh, I see what you mean now. Thanks for clearing that up.
>>
File: 1433468185184.png (633 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1433468185184.png
633 KB, 640x480
>>25834003
no problem mi familia. Glad I could explain my opinion well
>>
5>3>1>4>2>6

BW was pretty good for a Pokemon story. BW2 was a step down but still had ok characters.

ORAS breathed life into Team Aqua/Magma and Delta Episode was a nice Pokemon rendition of Sonic Adventure 2. Not to mention some super deeper lore with things such as Mr. Bonding's origins and Sea Mauville.

Kanto doesn't have much of a story, but piecing together stuff like Mr. Fuji and the Cinnabar Mansion is pretty interesting.

Johto could be better Tbh. It definitely had the evil team with lamest ambitions. Things aren't as interesting to piece together like in Kanto either.

S.mh at Kalos. The stuff with war was kind of interesting, but it felt really strange for a Pokemon game. It doesn't really resolve itself in a satisfying way. It really left me with a feeling of, "that's it?"
>>
>Kanto doesn't have much of a story, but piecing together stuff like Mr. Fuji and the Cinnabar Mansion is pretty interesting.
Yeah came here to post this. I'd like it if they went back to being less explicit, finding out the story for yourself in videogames is always neat. They did this a bit with Sea Mauville, which I liked. I have no power...
>>
>>25833161
4 > 3 = 5 > 2 > 1 = 6

Platinum has my favorite story. I liked Team Galactic and Cyrus, the story was there without bashing you over the head with it like gen 5 sometimes did.

ORAS really improved upon RSE in terms of story. Team Aqua and Magma were legitimately entertaining, though I didn't like the Delta Episode. BW's story is decent too, but BW2's story is stupid as hell (I liked Colress though).

Not much to say about gen 1 or 2 story-wise. There wasn't much in the way of it. I'd take simplicity over a story that falls flat like gen 6. It felt like they were trying too hard to make it "deep" like BW. Team Flare weren't great villains which didn't help.
>>
Gen 5 has the best history

>"overrated"

I know, but BW/BW2 are pretty different from previous ones, they feel more organic, more realistic, i remeber when i realised N's purpose, when N's Castle attacks the Pokemon League, the music, when the gym leaders came to help you, when N is betrayed and getchis attacks.

I also like Gen 2 history, you are following the path that one trainer did time ago, when you beat the team rocket, win the pokemon league, and then you go to kanto to unveil who did it before, and the last step, beat Red, oh boy, that feels awesome

Gen 5 and Gen 2 ftw
>>
>>25834951
When I say overrated, it's because I feel that when people praise the story for being, well, anything, I think Sinnoh did it better. Outside Gym Leader interaction
>>
>>25833382
They wanted to eradicate all NEETs.
>>
>>25833382
They wanted to cause genocide by killing off everyone that wasn't a part of Team Flare as well as killing off every single Pokemon in the world in order to make a world without war and selfishness.
>>
>>25833161
>6>4>3=2=1>5
6 is in first purely because of OR/AS' perfectly executed story. It pressed all the right buttons for me.
>no cutscene spam
>not a major part of the game but an integral one
>amazing character building
>excellent world building
>isn't really in the way if I'm not playing for it
Only detractor was the cunt that Zinnia was.
X/Y was okay.
Gen 4 was good but could've been better.
Gens 1 through 3 didn't really have a story aside from beating the enemy team so they're pretty bare bones when it comes to story, if at all.
Gen 5's story was forced, annoying, and unavoidable. The game was centered around it and shoved it in my face and that's not what I play Pokémon for. It was also bad because 90% of the characters were either forgettable or insufferable cunts.
>>
>>25835060
This. And all the genetically inferior people. This is why Lysandre was literally Hitler. And I honestly didn't disagree with him. Eradicating the NEETs and retards would make the world a better place. Eugenics returning when?
>>
>>25833161
Good Tier:
Gen 3

OK Tier:
Gen 1

What Story Tier:
Gen 2

Cancer Tier:
Gen 4
Gen 5
Gen 6
>>
5>4>1>2>3>6

5 was best, hands down. Great characters, surprising ending, well thought out and a more mature look at the games than I ever expected Gamefreak to take. The games had a LOT of flaws, but the stories made them worth it.

4 was the first time they tried to make a compelling and worthwhile story. The story felt so much larger than previous games, and the way they culminated with a huge confrontation on top of mt coronet always stuck with me. Best rival too. First time it felt like you were working with a team to take the bad guys down.

1 is a classic rpg storyline, and it's barebones, find it yourself style is something missing from the games now. Go ahead and say "muh genwun", but 1's story is easily the most natural and least forced in the series. It's simple but timeless.

2 was a good continuation of 1, but it's just so short. Johto's storyline always felt rushed to me. It works, but I just wish it had more.

3 is ridiculous. The teams were crack, and though the pacing is nice, it just didn't make a whole lot of sense. Emerald helped, but still, both off the teams motivations are dumb. ORAS added some color to it, characterizing the teams more, but also made it so much easier.

6 was a mess. The pacing was terrible, the team couldn't pin down their own motivation, and in general didn't make much sense. Besides hand holding you the entire way, it just felt slapdash, and the sparcity of fights in each encounter made it feel like they weren't even trying. They're still a dex completionist's wet dream, but the story isn't worth shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 239x237) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 239x237
>>25835189
>Gen 1
>not What Story tier
>>
>>25835189
Gen III's story isn't cancer, but Gen IV's is? How, exactly? Gen IV and Gen III are very similar except IV's is just straight-up better.
>>
>>25835213
It has a story silly goose. You're fighting team rocket.
>>
>>25835226
Gen 4 is way over the top, from Berry to Mecha Dragon Dildo Space God
>>
File: image.jpg (3 KB, 173x167) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 KB, 173x167
>>25835236
>fighing team rocket in gen 1 counts as story but not in gen 2
>>
Can we at least agree that from a storytelling perspective Hilbert with Zekrom and N with Reshiram > Hilbert with Reshiram and N with Zekrom?
>>
>>25835173
I took Lysandre's motivation to be killing non-wealthy people, "filth" basically meaning poor people. That's why the only qualification for getting into Flare was paying a large entry fee and why he bitched about people not being grateful enough to him in one of those books in the Flare hideout.
>>
>>25835251
Nah, being over the top has nothing to do with being fun, the characters and dialogue in DPP are way more interesting and imaginative than in RSE.
>>
2>5>3>1>4>6
>>
>>25835264
Gen 2s team rocket is very disbanded. Its more like incidentally running into remnants of Team Rocket than taking down the organization while witnessing their inhumane genetic engineering, corruption of local business, and the pokemon league system. Gen 1 didn't have a big story either but it definitely was more than Gen 2. Pokemon overall has yet to produce a good story IMO. So Gen 3 topping my list isn't saying much.
>>
2 > 3 if you ignore Delta Episode > 4 > 6 > 1 > 5 > having your eyeballs slowly extracted with scalding hot spiked tongs and nothing to dull the pain > 3 if you count Delta Episode
>>
>>25835277
You had fun. I cringed the entire time
>>
File: 1406786712887.jpg (52 KB, 735x300) Image search: [Google]
1406786712887.jpg
52 KB, 735x300
>>25835338
>>
4 > 5 > 3 > 6 > 2 >>>>>> lucario dick >>>>>> 1
>>
>>25833161
2=5=4=3>6>1>>25834035
>>25834035
I could've fucking sworn I saw you on /co/ just 2 minutes ago.
>>
>>25835372
you must be young to vote 1 that low.
>>
>>25835357
Really I just like it when the story is more minimal with some lore and worldbuilding in the background. Gen 2 has both. Gen 4 covers the lore and worldbuilding part quite well. Gen 3 itself is really weak with it, but I felt ORAS did a good job putting more worldbuilding in and a lot of stupid things about Team Magma and Aqua were lessened to some extent, they also made most returning characters more likable. But Delta Episode is the worst fucking shit. Fuck that noise, the only good part was spoiled before release.

Gen 1 might as well not have a story. But it's inoffensive in that.

Gen 5 I don't mind if people like, personally I found the story outright intrusive and I took issue with pretty much everything about Team Plasma, but it does have its moments.

Gen 6 really should be equal with Gen 1, I found it generally inoffensive, though it's still a bit more intrusive than I'd like, but on the other hand I have a huge weak spot for the Looker Bureau part of post-game. And KISEKI but that's not really story.

Really though I don't care which people like more. Just my own dumb opinions.
>>
>>25835444
Seriously? Are you baiting me or something?
>>
>>25835407
I also forgot to note that I still love gen 1 and it doesn't really deserve all the hate. Y'know, because it was the very first fucking game and things were still being figured out.
>>
>>25835477
I keep forgetting about the Looker plot in the postgame. I liked it too, much more than the main story. XY is the reverse of ORAS in that regard.
>>
>>25835407
No, I also saw that reaction image thread, but it was a coincidence

>>25835338
I'd never rate 5 that low but yeah, Delta was shit
>>
>>25835159
remakes count for the Gen they are remaking, didnt you see OP?

>>25835212
Agree mostly. I cant get past the idiotic teams of Hoenn.

>>25835337
A fractured Team trying to rebuild after being disbanded, a house of women trying to fulfil a prophecy, and two guys searching for a legendary beast werent also compelling story elements?

>>25835407
This is an interesting list

>>25835477
I love 5's story, but DAMN was it tedious before the third Gym. I quit a Black Randomizer challenge due to remembering how awful that opening 3 or so hours is.
>>
>>25835159
Yeah, I can agree with the opinions on ORAS and Gen 5's stories. I'd easily say that ORAS has the best story elements if it weren't for Zinnia and Delta Episode being shit.
>>
File: Looker approval.png (297 KB, 594x331) Image search: [Google]
Looker approval.png
297 KB, 594x331
>>25835265
My fucking nigger.
>>
>>25833161
4>5>2>3>1>Shit>6

>Sinnoh
The evil team set up and climax was wonderfull. I don't really like the time/space duo and couldn't care less about the lake trio but the story was set up way to good around them with the lake explosion and the final tagteam with Barry showing up was also cool as fuck.

>Unova
Ghetsis is a fucking psychopath and I love it. The events leading up to the league were something different we actually didn't have in previous games. I rank B/W above B2/W2 because after that neat high quality animated introduction video I was way to hyped but it kinda didn't deliver

>Johto
Storming the rocket base two times is pretty damn nice, I also remember being hyped as fuck as a kick when the the rocket radio kicked in. Also being able to do one whole set of badges more with it leading up to wreck Red is pretty damn glorious, this is something B2/W2 had the chance to do too but they absolutely failed to deliver

>Hoenn
The teams especially Aqua were being fucking stupid as shit. It was however the first introduction of Pokemon being able to wreck a whole region with their powers and I found it to be pretty intense the first time I saw it. Considering remakes the delta episode was pretty ok too, it gets way to much hate for little reason that much is sure.

>Kanto
You crush an evil organisation. That was pretty damn cool the first time it came around and even though Rocket is one of my favorite organisations nowdays the way they did it wouldn't be that exciting anymore.

>Kalos
I don't even know what happened here man. The region and all that I kinda like but the story was just to damn bad. The evil team was lead by some kind of fashion Hitler and there was something about a death machine and some immortal giant and the final battle climaxed with the big bad having a robot arm suit
>>
>>25833161
5>4>3>6>2>1

Nothing still tops Unova's story. Also having the final battle against N and then Ghetsis, instead of the champion was really cool. Team Galactic's still my fav evil team though and i like Sinnoh and it's characters+mythology.

gen3 would haven been after kalos but oras really stepped up with the evil teams (i love magma and don't think i can ever play AS bc it's not the same without me bullying tabitha) and character interactions in general. Kalos was pretty ridiculous but I actually did like my group of friends... and attempted genocide is always cool.

Kanto and Johto... they are kinda just there I guess. hgss has it's moments, kanto not so much.
>>
>>25836044
>liking the fact that Ghetsis is a psychopath
I only like a truly evil villain in a game where I can legit slaugher his ass, not just faint his stupid captured animals. Chucklefuck villains like Archie and Maxie are honestly better, in the regards that they're probably friends with the MC after the events of the story.
>>
5 > 4 > 3 = 1 > 6 > 2

I don't even remember what the hell Gen 2 was about, and Gen 6 squandered its potential.

Gen 3 and 1 were pretty simple, but in a good way.
>>
>>25833161
5>4>1=2=3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>6
>>
5>3>6>4>1>2

All of them were pretty shit aside from BW1, and even that was bleh. The Mystery Dungeon stories are a sizeable improvement, but I wouldn't say any of them are actually good aside from Gates
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.