[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did mega evolutions kill cross gen evolutions?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 16
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 480x360
Did mega evolutions kill cross gen evolutions?
>>
>>25828294
That isn't a bad design.
>>
Sylveon
>>
Remains to be seen.
>>
>>25828306
I would call Eeveelutions an exception to this, they use Eeveelutions as a marketing image and it has always seemed to be the intent to make an Eeveelution for all types.

If there is an Eevee related Mega it should be a Mega Eevee that stays normal type.
>>
>>25828304
It's not a good one, either.
>>
Potentially. Its looking like megas are just going to fully replace evolutions, but we'll see.
>>
>>25828294
We have no way of knowing honestly.
>>
Only way to know for sure is if SM doesn't have any. It's a shame, because natural evolutions have actual benefits but it seems people only care about Megas now.
>>
>>25828294

Nope, Eviolite did.
>>
>>25828402

>Knock Off
>>
File: autismintenisfies.gif (2 MB, 460x246) Image search: [Google]
autismintenisfies.gif
2 MB, 460x246
>dusclops has a normal evo
>bannete has a mega
>>
>>25828294
Really fucking hope not. Megas are okay for 3 stage Pokemon but there's literally no reason for single or double stage mons to have them instead of regular evolutions.
>>
i hope so, evolutions are now obsolete wit megas.
>>
No, fucking whinging babies killed cross evolutions. Even though gen 4 brought way more awesome cross evolutions than the few stinkers, we will have to listen to whiners until the end of time that their "favorite pokemon" got "ruined"

Fucking magmar and electabuzz faggots are the worst
>>
File: 1430506498650.gif (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1430506498650.gif
1 MB, 1280x720
>>25828294
>sceptile gets a mega and gains dragon
>still can't learn fire type moves
>>
>>25828777
>electivire
>Not insanely cool-looking
Magmortar was a fairly large stinker though.
>>
>>25828799
Grass and fire are two opposites that cannot synthesize because one destroys the other and then itself
Water/fire synthesizes to steam, volcanion
Ground/flying form dust, landrous
Psychic/dark forms the malice of intelligence, hoopa U
>>
File: twisted02.jpg (135 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
twisted02.jpg
135 KB, 1280x720
>>25828825
Magmortar is my favorite fire type period

>not liking a demented clown with cannon arms

Also, let's be real, magmar himself looked dumb; magmortar is an improvement.
>>
>>25828777

Trips of truth. People who whine about cross-gen evolutions being "terrible" forget that they gave us:

>Crobat
>Bellossom
>Politoed
>Slowking
>Steelix
>Hitmontop
>Blissey
>Kingdra
>Scizor
>Espeon, Umbreon
>Porygon2

All before the "reviled" Gen IV, which gave us:

>Magnezone
>Lickilicky
>Rhyperior
>Tangrowth
>Electivire
>Magmortar
>Leafeon, Glaceon
>Porygon-Z
>Togekiss
>Ambipom
>Yanmega
>Honchkrow
>Mismagius
>Gliscor
>Weavile
>Mamoswine
>Gallade
>Probopass
>Roserade
>Dusknoir
>Froslass

Now, how many of those actually have terrible designs that nearly everyone hates, as opposed to being just ambivalent? Rhyperior, Ambipom, and Lickilicky are the only three that I very rarely see even the slightest amount of affection for, while all of the others are either beloved or flat out ignored entirely most of the time. Even weirder ones like Probopass have gained a bit of a cult following.
>>
>>25828917
>dust
dustigar
dustiscor
>>
>>25828294
eviolite did
>>
>>25828413
this comment doesnt even make sense in that context
>>
>>25829233
I genuinely like Rhyperior, but it's probably because I'm a mineralfag
>>
>>25829233
I'll list what Gen 4 crossgens I see a significant amount of hate for, and why I think that they are hated.
>>Magnezone
>"Ruined" the best case of "Just add more!"
I like it, personally.
>>Lickilicky
>Fat.
I like it, as well.
>>Rhyperior
>Bad colors, too fat, and bad helmet.
I dislike it, but it could totally be redeemed with a model that let its ears stick out.
>>Tangrowth
>It just gets bigger!
It looks amazing, I love it.
>>Electivire
>Bad eyes. Bad tail.
I dislike the eyes, but don't dislike the overall design.
>>Magmortar
>Fat, dumb head, bad flames on stomach, clownish, shoulder flames look stupid.
I dislike it, but it could be redeemed if the flame design on its stomach and the shoulders were retconned with a new 3D model to be actual flames burning.
>>Ambipom
>The haircut and fingers.
Once again, I dislike it but think that it could be completely fixed with minimal changes, so few that it could get by as more of a simple change in the way its sprites looked. Just make the hair shaggier and look less like it was done on purpose and make the fingers less fat.
>>Probopass
>Looks like a Jew, too silly.
I love it, it's a perfect evolution and one of the best simply silly designs.
>>Dusknoir
>Too fat and bad antene.
I like it. The antene send signals to the underworld, the stomach is a storage pouch for spirits.

I love the crossgens.
>>
>>25828753
Fucking this. I'll never forgive GF for wasting that Mega Mawile design
>>
>>25828294
lets be honest here
electivire, magmortar, weavile, and rhyperior all look like mega evolutions and probably should have been
i am hoping for more cross gen evos but i don't have my hopes up
>>
I think one unfortunate thing is that a mega-evolution might not solidify, but certainly makes a strong case for a particular Pokemon. I want to see an evolution for Pinsir, Tauros(miltank would be fine), as well as dunsparce. I fricking love dunsparce.

I personally didn't care for magnezone too much, though am warming to it, electevire I thought it seemed over the top, and rhyperior I still think looks bad. The colors are bad and looks more like a golem than a rampaging rhino-rock. Magmortar isn't bad though. Fits a "Matrix" or similar shoot out movie vibe.
>>
File: datstache.gif (2 MB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
datstache.gif
2 MB, 500x280
>>25829233
> Probopass have gained a bit of a cult following.

Maybe it's because its design is incredibly clever and it's really funny playing with it with those animations.

For that, Probopass is my absolute favourite Pokemon.
>>
>>25828925
Honestly yeah Magmar is really damn stupid looking. At least now he's stupid looking with arm cannons.
>>
>>25829596

Mega Mawile doesn't look different enough to be an actual evolution.
>>
>>25829637

>weavile

u wot m8?
>>
>>25829790

Evolutions don't always look drastically different.
>>
>>25829637
>electivire, magmortar, weavile, and rhyperior all look like mega evolutions and probably should have been

Megas look like transformations (which they are), not entirely different Pokemon. None of them would be able to pass as actual evolutions.

Electivire/Magmortar/Rhyperior all look too different from their pre-evolutions to be Megas.
>>
File: probopass.gif (236 KB, 94x81) Image search: [Google]
probopass.gif
236 KB, 94x81
>>25829764

>That blinking.
>>
>>25829813
The first two, maybe, but Rhyperior is really just a fat Rhydon. It's about as passable as, say, Mega Audino or something.
>>
File: Mawile.png (427 KB, 1216x599) Image search: [Google]
Mawile.png
427 KB, 1216x599
>>25829812

Outside of Gen 1, they usually aren't just "same thing but bigger".

Mega Mawile still looks like the same Pokemon, it just got taller and grew another pair of horns.
>>
>>25829863
Also changed some bottom colors.
Looks different enough to be an evo. Same thing for Banette.
>>
>>25829863
Looks about the difference between Sneasel and Weavile.
>>
>>25828753
>there's literally no reason for single or double stage mons to have them instead of regular evolutions

Some single and two-stage Pokemon are already complete as they are.

Take Lucario, Abomasnow, Kangaskhan, or Pinsir/Heracross for instance, they already look complete as they are.
>>
>>25829896
I agree. Some single-stage are fine as they are, and tons of double-stage are fine.
Some need more though. Miltank and Tauros need a prevo, Farfetch'd needs and evo, Etc.
>>
>>25829928
What exactly would Miltank or Tauros get out of a pre-evolution? I don't think there's any reason to make them unless it gets them something they wouldn't have had normally. there's lots of pre-evos that don't do that that exist but that doesn't mean it's ok.
>>
File: Tangrowth a cute.jpg (189 KB, 800x625) Image search: [Google]
Tangrowth a cute.jpg
189 KB, 800x625
>>25829863

"The same, but bigger" isn't always a bad thing, and it isn't limited to Gen 1 either.
>>
>>25829950

I think the idea would be something akin to Tyrogue, in that the prevolution is used to combine other previously unrelated Pokemon into one family.
>>
>>25829959
Oh, sorry, I guess that was obvious, and I can see that. And it would also do what I was saying anyway since it'd crossover their movepools via breeding.
>>
>>25829959

It works for the Hitmons, because they're all brown humanoids who practice martial arts, but with Tauros and Miltank, one is a realistic bull, while the other is a cartoony bipedal cow.
>>
>>25829863

Man you faggots have no eye for detail. Probably the same idiots that spew "spikes and stripes."

Its mouths are a different shape, more warped, with "hair" spikes at the top
Its head is a different shape, like a snapping turtle
Its eyes are a different color
Its hair ribbons are longer with a different tip
It has flared sleeves now, with a different pattern, matching its now purple pants
Also its torso is the same size, just its legs got longer
>>
>>25828294

Eviolite did.

Now, if they wanted to any new Evolutions, they'd have to retcon the old Pokemon into being compatible with Eviolite.

And as we've seen with incenses being required for baby Pokemon past Gen 2, and all the new evolution items introduced in Gen 4, Game Freak likes consistency and hates doing retcons like this.
>>
>>25829989
So what? Tons of branches look different.
Maybe the males stay on their feet to be able to stampede while the females start sitting up so that they can more easily feed their babies and feed injured males.
Their milk has healing properties, so of course they'd feed injured adult males, too. And adult bulls can't fit underneath a smaller cow. So they stand up.
Boom.
Plusle/Minun, Solrock/Lunatone, and Throh/Sawk are other needed babies. What else?
>>
>>25830024

The only thing that needs a baby is Kangaskhan. Babies in general are a shit mechanic. Pichu practically ruined its line.
>>
>>25830021
>Game Freak likes consistency
My Lickitung knew Rollout in Gen III, but wouldn't ever evolve. Why is that?
My Clefairy was hurt by Dragon Claw in Gen IV. Why is that?
Go fuck yourself and your shitty excuse.
>>
>>25830035
>Babies in general are a shit mechanic.
It's just them needing the Incenses, it's actually a good idea. Just not used in the right places.
>>
>>25830039

Because the benefits outweighed the inconsistency. They still try to avoid it when they can.

But you're right, adding Eviolite compatibility isn't a consistency problem. It's a balance problem. Eviolite Sableye or Slowbro would be broken as all fuck.
>>
>>25830039
>My Lickitung knew Rollout in Gen III, but wouldn't ever evolve. Why is that?

Oversight, and it was an Egg Move back then. It couldn't naturally learn it until Gen 4.

>My Clefairy was hurt by Dragon Claw in Gen IV. Why is that?

Type match-ups and evolution methods are two entirely different things.

If Game Freak didn't care about consistency, they wouldn't bother making all these new items so that old Pokemon can evolve.
>>
>>25830055
Then Sableye and Slowbro don't need evos.
What about Farfetch'd? Will it be broken with Eviolite?
Anyway, they clearly don't care that much about balance.
>>
File: tumblr_mwvznzuJ151r5wkkso1_1280.jpg (213 KB, 600x360) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mwvznzuJ151r5wkkso1_1280.jpg
213 KB, 600x360
>>25829822
> That sleeping pose
>>
File: 1416166158631.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1416166158631.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>25830068

>they clearly don't care that much about balance

Yes they do. Just because they make mistakes with it doesn't mean they don't care.

>then sableye and slowbro don't need evos

Exactly, that's why they get mega evos instead. New formes for people to enjoy, without breaking the game.
A conventional evo for Farfetch'd would be perfectly reasonable. But at the same time, Mega Sableye and Mawile are far more powerful than any normal evo would have been, giving them far more use, and without drastically changing their designs that their fans love. A mega could be far better for Farfetch'd than a standard evo.
>>
>>25829596
>Mawile went from a miserable weakmon to a force to tremble before with the Mega.
>"fuck gf!"
The mega design is perfect for Mawile, it's strong as fuck and I don't see why it should trigger autism just because it is not a regular evolution instead, if it was a regular evolution I don't think that it would be similary strong or relevant.
Futhermore, many single stage pokémon are made with stats of full evolved pokémon (Basculin has the same amount of BST of Sharpedo).
>>
>>25828294
Post your crossgen ideas! Post what they'd look like, what their stats would be(It's fine to be vague on stats if you don't have the time to figure them out or don't have a good grip on how they work!), Ability ideas, and any extra stuff like moves or evolution methods.

Druddigon evolution
Dragon/Rock
Same abilities.
77 +3
120 +5
90 +20
60 +10
90 +20
48 -33
Becomes a real gargoyle, bright colors fade to very light shades, spikes get chipped, legs become smaller and more like decoration, wings get bigger, grows bits of moss.
"This Pokemon was little known in Kalos and neighboring regions long ago, so they were shipped from Unova to act as fake statues and guard important buildings from thieves."

What do you think? Post your own!
>>
>>25830106
>A mega could be far better for Farfetch'd than a standard evo.
I hate you people.
Farfetch'd has a signature item, a good design, and tons of potential for an evo and a strange evolution method.
It needs an evo, not a mega.
>>
>>25830198
Male Combee evolution.
Pure Bug.
Ability is some signature one that lets it take SE attacks for allies.
Evolves after level up if there are 5 Male Combees in the party and one Vespiquen, and all Combees hold some new item.
Becomes a big wall of bees.
100/50/130/50/130/50
How is it?
>>
>>25830281

I like it.
>>
>>25828294
Yes besides eeveelution
>>
>>25830315
Needs more heads.
Also, Vespiquen should get its stats changed if it gets a counterpart.
HP: 85
Attack: 60
Defense: 95
Sp.Atk: 60
Sp.Def: 95
Speed: 120
The Order moves now depend on the stats of the next Pokemon in the party, Attack Order depending on its attack stat, Defend Order on its Defense Stat, Heal Order on its HP stat, and new moves Special Attack Order and Special Defense Order on its respective stats.
The Order moves can no longer be sketched.
>>
File: full_of_combees_by_probertson.png (5 KB, 600x440) Image search: [Google]
full_of_combees_by_probertson.png
5 KB, 600x440
>>25830406
>>
>>25830417
No wings, then shape it like a hive.
>>
File: 1356586489774.jpg (58 KB, 527x518) Image search: [Google]
1356586489774.jpg
58 KB, 527x518
>>25828777
>>25828925
>>25829233
>>25829288
Good taste. I'm making a video series based on Pokemon throughout its twenty years and I'm gonna be tackling cross-gen evolutions in the next video.
>>
>>25830446
Please don't link it.
>>
>>25830456
Why not? Scared of some truth?
>>
>>25830488
No, I just don't want you to shill your shit here.
>>
File: 1376154529138.jpg (34 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1376154529138.jpg
34 KB, 640x480
>>25830495
I'mma do it anyway.
You're not the boss of me.
Faggot.
>>
>>25828342
>Eonite
>Can be used by any eeveelution.
>No matter what eeveelution it is the result will be the same mega (could be mega Eevee or something else)
>no matter which eeveelution, It'll always apply the same stat boost, but using the eeveelution's stats as the base
>It gets protean
How does this sound?
It could even be compatible with all future eeveelutions
>>
>>25830198
Equality-inspired Plusle/Minun prevo(I know they're based on positive and negative charges, this is an equal charge.)
HP: 75
Attack: 40
Defense: 40
Sp.Atk: 75
Sp.Def: 75
Speed: 105
Total: 410
Ability: Equality- All stat changes are the same for all Pokemon on the field.
Evolves to Plusle if its attacking stats have more EVs than its defensive ones at level 25. Evolves to Minun if its defensive stats have more EVs than its attacking ones at level 25.
Minun
Attack: 40
Defense: 105
Sp.Atk: 75
Sp.Def: 110
Total: 510

Plusle
Attack: 105
Defense: 40
Sp.Atk: 110
Sp.Def: 75
Total: 510

Plus now lets the user use its allies' every other attack.
Minus lets the user take damage for its ally every other turn.

How is it?
>>
>>25830198
Donphan evolution
Speedboost as ability
Ground/Steel
80-90-120-90-85-75
Body gets as big as a real elephant, rubber tread design on back is upgraded to a tank tread one, ears get big enough to completely cover the sides of its body when it rolls up & start looking like metal sheets, tusks get a hinge to be able to fold while rolled up & now look like exhaust pipes.
>>
>>25830198
Torkoal evolution
Fire/Steel
Same abilities
Starts growing metal pipes out of its shell to direct its smoke.
>>
>>25830580
>mega eevee with protean
>has a different design for each type it becomes
>>
>>25831242
>Eevee with protean
>Mangafags rejoice, for their main hath been revealed
>>
>>25830198
Farfetch'd evolution
Fighting/Flying
Super Luck as ability, same hidden one as Farfetch'd
Looks like a samurai: eyebrow feathers grow long, then get tied together with head faethers in a topknot; webbed feet grow around toes in a rectangle, look like those Japanese sandals, complete with the toes in place of the teeth; long feathers grow along underside of wings and hold together, creating the appearance of a kimono, with the wings looking like sleeves; underneath the kimono, stiff black feathers, like on its head, grow on its sides, ready grown holsters for its weapon; the stiff feathers that it uses as chopstick-like fingers turn black; legs and neck grow long like a crane; its old leek is turned into a sheath for its new plant-katana, which is made of another plant.
70/120/65/70/70/115
It would evolve after leveling up holding Stick around a small grove of nearly extinct plants.
I like the soldier one, too. Maybe they'd be branch evolutions.
>>
>>25830446
pls link, im interested
>>
>>25831415
Alternate Farfetch'd evolution
Grass/Flying
Sniper as ability, same hidden one as Farfetch'd
Looks like a soldier: eyebrow feathers grow long enough to be pulled back and tied, head feathers are held against the head in a style like they were combed back and held with grease; plants grow on its body like armor, even intertwining with its feathers; grows like a bulletproof vest; some patches have little tools, like thorns used as caltrops, seed grenades, Etc.; has gourd boots; has half melon helmet; leek is fashioned into a rifle and bayonet.
90/100/95/100/95/30
It would evolve after leveling up at max friendship holding Stick and knowing Weapon Shine, a new move learned by all item holding(Alakazam, Marowak, Etc.) Pokemon that raises crit chance by one and gives its next move, if it's an attack, priority,
>>
>>25830198
Chatot 2
Ground/Flying
Ability that enhances the power of sound moves
70/60/75/110/75/110
Male only, based off Kakapos.
Kakapos dig holes that are designed to enhance their calls, which fits with Chatot's sound theme, and at one point there was thought to only be a single one left, a male calling out for a mate.
Another parrot can be the base of a female evo.
>>
>>25830456
Asshole
>>
>>25830212

>Farfetch'd has a good design
>lets shit on it by completely replacing it with something like OP's pic

You're only supporting the mega argument.
>>
>>25828294
retarded 5th generation killed the cross gen evolutions?
>>
>>25830281
Only if it is called combeenation
>>
>>25835320
>Implying I want OP's pic
I want one of these.
>>25831862
>>25831415
They'd be perfect.
OP's pic isn't even horrible, just bland.
>>
>>25836084
I like how you think.
>>
I hope we get more cross gen evolutions.
>>
Snorlax mega evolution when?
>>
>>25828348
It's quite riduckulous
>>
>>25830106
Is this from the OVAs?
>>
>>25828720
>Dusknoir will never be retconned into it's own mon
Don't remind me
>>
>>25838913
It's from the ORAS one
>>
>>25830198
What other Pokemon need an evo?
>>
File: 1380842139042.png (171 KB, 500x695) Image search: [Google]
1380842139042.png
171 KB, 500x695
>>25831415
>>25831862
>>
>>25840124
No.
>>
>>25829360
I agree completely. With so many of there designs, they are dissapointing, but you at least know what they are going for. Also, I too am in love with probopass, and tangrowth not every pokemon needs to look like a pseudo legendary.
>>
>>25840124
Nah, this is like the mega of an evolution.
>>
>>25831190
>less attack/sp atk for more sp def and hp
nobody would use this evolution, everybody would just use torkoal with eviolite instead for better defense, attack, and typing.
>>
>>25840250
How would you cut it, then?
I only really enjoyed the design and typing.
>>
>>25830198
Stantler evo
Looks like a moose with shaggy fur, also grows huge. At least 7 feet high. Horns get intricate. Starts looking menacing.
Psychic/Dark or pure Psychic.
Abilities stay the same.
75-80-70-110-75-110
>>
>>25830198
Time for Delibird to shine! Gets an evolution with tons of fat blubber, feathers on its head that shape into a cone to look like a Christmas hat, feet get black and big, wings get big.
It would get Klutz as its hidden ability, Thick Fat as one of its normal ones, and a signature one that makes all foes attempting to attack it(Status moves are fine) in its first turn out flinch. Present would be changed into a status move that gifts a copy of the user's item unto the target.
70/50/100/50/100/130
>>
>>25832496
It would lose STAB off of Hyper Voice if it became ground type tho, making that new ability less useful
>>
>>25841223
Kakapos can't fly, so it could be Normal/Ground.
>>
>>25841127
>Klutz Delibird 2 for Knocking Off items and giving everything bad ones
>Naughty List (or whatever it'd be called) Delibird 2 with Sitrus Berries, Normal Gems, other single use items in doubles
What tier would it be? Hopefully, Smeargle wouldn't be able to Sketch Present, but even if it could, Delibird would still be good.
>>
>>25828304
it's pretty terrible.
>>
>>25830198
Evolution of Girafarig, Psychic/Dark
HP: 70->80
Attack: 80->70/105
Defense: 65->80
Sp.Atk: 90->105/70
Sp.Def: 65->80
Speed: 85->105
Total: 455->520
Gets a signature ability that switches its attack and special attack stat based on the moves it uses.
Grows to at least 14 feet high, back head gets very large. Back hooves have claws on their heels.
>>
>>25828917
But Gligar/Gliscor/Landorus have nothing to do with dust.
>>
>>
>>25828304
The random X on the belly doesn't add to it, but I like the eyebrows.
>>
>>25842684
I like the 3 leeks idea. IRL Samurai often carried 3 swords. I can't remember exactly but it was something like "one for distance, one for close combat, and one for horses". It's a nice nod to the samurai theme of Farfetch'd.
>>
>>25842686
Maybe this is too edgy but I think the X is supposed to represent where a samurai would cut themselves for seppuku.
>>
>>25842747
>the samurai theme of Farfetch'd.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.