[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a question for you guys If Sun/Moon >has the same
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: 1453846125497.png (61 KB, 188x228) Image search: [Google]
1453846125497.png
61 KB, 188x228
I have a question for you guys

If Sun/Moon
>has the same graphics/aesthetic as XY/ORAS in both battles and overworld
>can battle and trade with XY and ORAS as long as you take new megas/Pokemon out of your party
>doesn't change any of the battle mechanics from XY and ORAS
>still uses the same pentagon system like XY and ORAS
>has the whole PSS/amie/super training system on the bottom screen like XY and ORAS
>has 50 new Pokemon in Hawaii inspired region
>has a Zygarde subplot

would you consider it gen 6 or gen 7?
>>
>>25805541
Gen 7, because those new pokemon can never exist inside a gen 6 game.
>>

You just fucking described gold and silver to red and green, retard.
>>
>>25805541
>can battle and trade with XY and ORAS as long as you take new megas/Pokemon out of your party
>still uses the same pentagon system like XY and ORAS

These will ultimately seal Sun and Moon as Gen 6. Gen 7 can still use/carry over the PSS and other features. But using common sense and not grasping straws, it's a safe bet that these are Gen 7
>>
>>25805541
Gen 7. New pokemon are what characterizes a new generation. How is this even a question?
>>
File: RUSE BIIIIRD.gif (97 KB, 340x323) Image search: [Google]
RUSE BIIIIRD.gif
97 KB, 340x323
>>25805541
>I have a question for you guys
>If Gold/Silver
>>has the same graphics/aesthetic as R/B/G/R in both battles and overworld
>>can battle and trade with R/B/G and Y as long as you take new Pokemon out of your party
>>doesn't change any of the battle mechanics from R/B/G and Y
>>still uses the same IV system like R/B/G and Y
>>has 100 new Pokemon in Japan inspired region
>would you consider it gen 1 or gen 2?
>>
7. New Pokemon is the single defining characteristic of a generation.
>>
>>25805566
>>25805593
this
>>
>>25805566
>can battle
>same mechanics
>same graphics

no
>>
>>25805566
But G/S introduced breeding and weather, those were important changes
>>
>>25805560
>>25805566
>>25805592
Okay, I'm all for rooting for 7th gen, but multiple things are taken into consideration for deciding a new gen besides new Pokemon. If they can still trade, battle, and connect with 6th gen, then its 6th gen. but that pretty much got BTFO with Bank's updated statements about Sun and Moon
>>
>>25805593
>>25805566
holy shit you guys are retards.

No wonder gen 7 fags are stupid, they're fucking underagefags who can't even remember gen 2 properly.
>>
>>25805621
>Gen 2 introduced weather
Either you mean the day/night cycle, or you're a retard.
>>
Gen 6.5
>>
>>25805592
Because mechanics also characterize a generation.
>>
>>25805635
Rain Dance and Sunny Day were gen 2 moves, you bingus
>>
>>25805632

New Pokemon define the next gen you 6.5 fucktard
>>
>>25805621
ORAS introduced Primal reversion, Soaring in the sky and Dexnav. those were important changes.
>>
>>25805627
But you just made those standards up? Name me a single X.5 gen game that added dozens of new pokemon.
>>25805632
>Actually believes new pokemon doesn't mean a new gen
>Calls other people retards
Glass houses, friend.
>>
>>25805664
>New Pokemon define the next gen

No, multiple things define a gen. Including battle mechanics. Which gen 2 didn't share with gen 1. It also can't battle with gen 1.

You gen 7 fags are gigantic retards who can't even read and just spout the "hurr gen 1.5" nonsense every thread.
>>
>>25805665
>those were important changes.

No they're not. Primals are just more formes and Soaring/Dexnav are just single player features that can be excluded from the next game, same gen or not. They're not the same as battle mechanics that have to be shared for compatibility reasons.
>>
>>25805650
see: >>25805664

You're only playing the MUH MECHANICS card now because you're butthurt that XY only had 70 new Pokémon and Zygarde got cucked out of a game. And when the mechanics are proven to be different you'll pull some other criteria out of your ass, don't deny it.
>>
>>25805659
Rain dance and sunny day are just new moves. ORAS also has new moves.
>>
>>25805686
Based on what? Are you privy to Nintendo's design documents? Does Nintendo even utilize a gen system like the one that's being argued over here? And if they don't, isn't this thread just a slapfight between screeching retards arguing about whether orange is really yellow or red?
>>
>>25805670
>Name me a single X.5 gen game that added dozens of new pokemon.
Name me a single mid-gen game that added abilities and moves. Oh wait. ORAS did. Because they can break patterns.

>>Actually believes new pokemon doesn't mean a new gen
Not necessarily. If they say, made a Z version but added one or two new Pokemon it wouldn't suddenly make it a new gen.
>>
>>25805714
Oh, it was bait. I'll see myself out.
>>
>>25805701
Breeding is just a single player feature that can be excluded from the next game, same gen or not.
>>
File: HPnRc89[1].png (82 KB, 980x1068) Image search: [Google]
HPnRc89[1].png
82 KB, 980x1068
>>25805727
>Based on what?

Based on the community. There are already multiple people in this thread who answered it gen 6 if it has the same mechanics. And the Smogon dictionary mentions smilar mechanics but not new Pokemon. I wonder why that is.
>>
>>25805748
Dark type, Steel type, special attack stat, special defense stat, and move effect changes aren't single player features.
>>
>>25805763
So this argument IS based on fan definitions, and nothing that actually stems from Nintendo.

Great. Retard slapfight confirmed. I'm out.
>>
>>25805541
dumb frogposter
>>
>>25805737
Yes it would.
Let's say you play competively. You want to make a Gen2 battle. which games do you use? the Gen 2 games/mechanics.

Let's say you want to make a Gen6 battle. Which games di you use? The Gen 6 games, with the Gen 6 Mons.

If a Gen 6.5 had new Pokémons (wiitch would make it a Gen 7), competively, you'd have to ask "so, yoou want to do Gen 6 or Gen 6 MINUS THE NEW POKÉMONS, witch makes it A DIFFERENT GEN.

God, you're so retarded on here.
>>
>>25805773
Did I say they were retard?
ORAS also has battle changes, to the point where it requires a compatability mode to play with XY.
Windows vista also has a compatability mode for Windows XP. Does that mean Vista is the same operating system as XP?
>>
>>25805797
But the same thing applies to ORAS you retard, except the question is "so, you want to do Gen 6 or Gen 6 MINUS THE NEW MEGAS"

it's the same fucking thing but ORAS is considered gen 6 because the battle mechanics are the same. Either way people are going to move to the newest game for competitive.
>>
File: 1441718040157.jpg (22 KB, 480x364) Image search: [Google]
1441718040157.jpg
22 KB, 480x364
Is anyone capping the 6.5 retards for the ultimate BTFO compilation? :^) I encourage you all to use tripcodes.
>>
>>25805829
That's the thing though, we're not the ones arguing that a gen is defined by mechanics.
>>
>>25805851
More Megas aren't new mechanics the same way More Pokemon aren't new mechanics.
>>
>>25805829
Forme changes have been a thing between games of the same generation since Platinum.
>>
>>25805829
it's the same generation because it's the same MONS. A new Gen = new mons. New forms have been around since D/P/P
>>
Definitely gen 6 if the games are THAT similar.

If they added new Precipice Blades/Delta Stream/Dragon Ascent/new Megas/etc to ORAS I can see them doing the same with new Pokemon.
>>
>>25805861
They break compatibility either way.

Saying ORAS is gen 6 because it's compatible with XY is like saying Nintendo DS is a Gameboy because it plays Gameboy games.
>>
>>25805877
But formes before ORAS could battle with previous games of the same gen. Megas can't.

>>25805925
Nintendo DS is Nintendo DS because it has different hardware.

ORAS is still gen 6 because it can battle with XY period. Having to possibly take a few things out of your party first doesn't change that. The core mechanics are the same so they are compatible.
>>
>>25805925
>Saying ORAS is gen 6 because it's compatible with XY is like saying Nintendo DS is a Gameboy because it plays Gameboy games.

No, a better comparison would be Nintendo DS to Nintendo DSi

Nintendo DSi has some extra features and it even has access to games the DS doesn't, but in the end it's still a DS family system that isn't a part of a new video game console generation.
>>
>>25805763
>quoting smogon as if it's an official rulebook on Pokemon
>>
>>25806015
I'm not saying it's an official anything. But it is a community that defined generations having to do with mechanics. Not Pokemon.
>>
>>25805956
What if all future pokemon game have some limited battle capability with past games, like how we can transfer pokemon up from Gen 3?

What if a future Pokemon game can battle with Sun/Moon but not with XY?
>>
Just look at it this way. This is all there is to it.

If there is a new batch of starters, it's gen 7.
>>
>>25806069
so if a game has new mechanics and 150 new Pokemon but no new starters it's gen 6?

or if all the mechanics are the same and it introduces no pokemon except new starters it's gen 7?

why?
>>
>>25806097
Listen, there is a 0% chance that Sun and Moon are not generation 7 games. There has never been a game with NEW POKEMON in it that did not belong to a new generation.

We've seen Magearna and a new bird Pokemon. It's gen 7. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional and I can't wait until it's confirmed so you guys will all just stop.
>>
>>25806142
>There has never been a game with NEW POKEMON in it that did not belong to a new generation.

There has never been a game with NEW ABILITIES in it that did not belong to a new generation
...until ORAS

There has never been a game with NEW MOVES in it that did not belong to a new generation
...until ORAS

times are changing and patterns are not as certain as they seem. Get used to it anon.
>>
>>25805956
>>25805977
Regardless, DS could play GBA games.
How can you claim that compatibility with XY (which is not confirmed) means it's not a new generation, but DS is a new generation despite being compatible with a previous generation?
Why can backwards compatibility exist in consoles but not in Pokemon games?

>>25806180
Maybe the compatibility pattern is the one that will be broken. Maybe Sun and Moon will be compatible with XYORAS despite being a new generation?

There has never been a new generation that can battle with a previous generation... Until Sun/Moon!
>>
>>25806180
On a scale of the pacific ocean to a block of salt the size of the earth, how salty are you about no Z version?
>>
>>25806226
not a Gen 6.5 fag, but Gen 2 could battle Gen 1 if I'm not mistaken?
>>
>>25806471
>but Gen 2 could battle Gen 1

nope. Only trade via time capsule.
>>
The only way I'd see this as gen 6 or 6.5 is if it's able to battle with the older games.

Gen 2 set that precedent. You could trade with gen 1 as long as it wasn't from gen 2.
>>
>>25806226
>Regardless, DS could play GBA games.

And the GBA can't play DS games. So they're not the same. Compatibility is still a two way street even if you have to remove some Pokemon.

>DS is a new generation despite being compatible with a previous generation?
Because of the vastly different hardware and it's only backward compatible. The GBA isn't forward compatible.
>>
>>25805541
its 6.5
>>
>>25806517
XY isn't forward compatible either. When ORAS plays with XY, it essentially pretends to also be XY.

No matter how many new features and mechanics are added to the new games, it would still be technically possible for Gamefreak to make a backwards compatible battle mode.
>>
I'm tired of this bullshit argument.

I personally believe that it'll be a new generation. Why? Because we are getting new Pokemon. There's no argument against that. The bird from the trailer and Magearna are proof.
"Hey, there are these new Pokemon but they're part of the previous generation because the games they're in have the same graphics and mechanics as the previous ones!"
No. Remember how GSC had pretty much the same graphics as RBY but in color and with better sprites? In the end they looked very similar but they're still two different generations. Why did we decide that they are different gens? Because there were new Pokemon. Sun and Moon will most likely have very similar, if not identical graphics compared to XY because we can't really go that much further from what we have now. Maybe they'll make some of the models a little more detailed, but the 3DS still has some graphical limitations.
Not only that, SM will probably be built on the same engine as XY. BW for example, was built on the gen 4 engine but they're still a new generation of games.
We don't have to worry about compatibility either, since we have Pokemon Bank. We'll be able to trade our XY ORAS mons to SM and maybe even back, but obviously can't trade the new mons from SM to previous games. Battling is a entirely different thing. Maybe they can make it work, but due to the difficulty that could be I doubt it'll happen.

Oh. And then there are fucknuts like this guy.
>>25806180
When will people realize that using ORAS as an example for a new game with new Pokemon, abilities and moves that still belong to the previous gen games is just retarded? ORAS aren't exactly 'new' games. They're remakes. Like all previous remakes they belong to the generation they were released in (like FR and LG belong to gen 3 and HGSS belong to gen 4). The new things don't matter. They're still gen 6. Using ORAS as an argument against SM being gen 7 is generally just idiotic.

It's 1h 15min til 6.5fags get BTFO anyway.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.