[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you guys using Memento competitively?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: Weezing.jpg (42 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Weezing.jpg
42 KB, 512x512
Are you guys using Memento competitively?
>>
I haven't, but I want to use it somehow. Any suggestions other than "Arena Trap/Shadow Tag".
>>
>>25793326
It seems like the kinda thing a belly drum set up sweeper would want, along with screens.
Maybe using linoone in a lower tier.
>>
>>25793326
whats wrong with trapping? otherwise, the enemy will just switch out and you barely bought yourself a turn in the cost of a pokemon. why not trap and build up while the enemy in front of you can do almost nothing?

anyway, some moves trap the enemy. if you think the enemy will set up with SR you might want to use wrap and such, but why bother?
>>
Is there an arena trap held item?
>>
>>25793366
Nothing wrong with trapping, I've just seen it a million times and wanna know if there's any other neat applications for it other than setting up and/or trapping.
>>
>>25793427
Memento costs you one mon and the opponent has the ability to cancel it's effect by switching out.
It has no uses outside of setting up sweeps, almost by nature because of it's cost.
>>
>>25793427
you can use it to force a switch. it can also be nice to have some person who built up their stats suddenly get a setback, but haze is better use for both canceling a buildup and canceling momento effect.

the fact you yourself switch is also kinda nice. that way you can pick the pokemon in your party that's best for the battle ahead. the statdown will allow the pokemon you send in a smoother lending than one getting in after a u-turn and the such.

you can have the pokemon that come next spam pursuit. just because. and if you are sure enemy won't switch this turn, you can evil look/ spider web/ block whatever. but we are back in the trapping trope. at least with those moves you will have more variaty in pokemons, provided you know enemy won't switch.

anyway, providing a smoother lending for the most fitting pokemon in your party seems like a good idea. after all, switching out or haze can undo memento and some enemies don't care about a hit to offense because they like to stall... but on those kinda enemies, not using memento is the better option.

tl;dr use this to switch. the incoming pokemon will have easier time considering his enemy is weakened.
>>
Memento is useful on mons with low HP and focus sash. You can use a prankster Whimsicott and use memento before getting KOed, then send a sweeper that needs a turn to set up, like a shell smasher.
>>
What about healing wish?
>>
>>25793502
Using memento to "ease up a switch" just makes it a really bad slow U-turn/volt switch.

Also, using evil look-like abilities is really bad since memento's effect on it's own will most likely force your opponent to switch out, especially if the match-up you just set-up is at your advantage (and if it's not, what's the point of using memento?).
>>
>>25793545
It's good in offensive teams, it allows some unexpected sweeps and can even be used to save a mon that was supposed to die from hazards.

It's way better on fast, offensive mons than on slow bulky ones and on mons who sets work better with only three actual moves, thanks to a combination of strong stabs or lack of other viable options.

In OU, it's commonly used on latias but I've seen it being used on (mega) gardevoir and the likes of scarf jirachi.
>>
>>25793553
u turn only do damage. whatever you send in will be open to the full power of the enemy.

the enemy might want to use a set-up move like SR or light screen. if you predict that, use mean look. or send in sneasel and the like to make enemy be caustious of pursuit, which will heighten the chance of not switching. you can even bait the enemy with fragile/disadvantaged pokemon that the enemy will think it can kill it even with whatever they have, than mean look and baton pass.

>>25793545
works well with pokemons that hurt themselves via recoil/ belly drum/curse/ held item, than switch those out... and have them return later with new spirit. (tough not immediatly.)
>>
>>25793609
I was talking about slow U-turners and volt-turners, it's a term used to simply discribe the fact of using U-turn of volt switch against a faster opponent, leading to your switch-in taking no damage.

And I insist, I really don't advice using memento to set up a mean look effect, it probably won't work outside of the very low ladder, since the fact that you used memento in the first place is more often than not a huge red flag to the opponent, you just don't kill your own mon without a plan.

Also, it only results on one kill, which just makes it a bad variant of the arena trap variant.

Memento-ing into a pursuit-traper is a nice option but :

-Why not just use a slow u-turn?
-You're verry limited as to what you can kill on the spot since there's not def. drop, it's only a 80BP move when it works, still.
-Why would you ever use sneasel over weavile outside of UU/RU?
>>
>>25793708
next turn they will take full damage tough.
for memento, weather slow or fast, if the enemy switches you bought yourself a turn and if he stays than you got yourself a non-danger in the short run.

and yeah, mean-look is tricky since its too much about predicting enemy actions. this can't be done, since people react to different situations differently.

>Why not just use a slow u-turn?
explained
>You're verry limited as to what you can kill on the spot since there's not def. drop, it's only a 80BP move when it works, still.
As i said its about mental warfare more than anything, and as you said before is problematic. the main point is to make enemy think im gonna use pursuit... and suprise them with a mean look if i think they think pursuit will ko it.
>Why would you ever use sneasel over weavile outside of UU/RU?
I was talking of the sneasel line, and only as an example of a pursuit user.
>>
>>25793326
Smeargle
>>
>>25793545
Good move now that there are Megas who are really good but have no recovery. I remember at the height of Mega-Mom, there was a joke team that was basically Mega-Mom+ 5 Healing Wish mons, but it was actually surprisingly good.
>>
Memento is only worth it if you have a mon that can sweep teams with 1 turn of setup. That niche is actually really hard to find now with every team running twave and priority.
>>
>>25794209
Question: How does parental bond works with moves like volt switch?
>>
>>25794234
Shell smash cloyster with icicle spear, rock blast, and ice shard.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.