[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>having a great mix of old and new Pokemon in the wild >letting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6
File: pokemon_xy.jpg (185 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
pokemon_xy.jpg
185 KB, 1920x1080
>having a great mix of old and new Pokemon in the wild
>letting you get pseudos like Gible and Axew relatively early

Say what you want about X/Y, but it had the best distrubution of Pokemon of any game.
>>
I actually like what Gen 5 did, 150 new pokemon, previous gen pokemon not catch-able till post game
>>
File: 1430639600380.png (26 KB, 145x121) Image search: [Google]
1430639600380.png
26 KB, 145x121
Why would you want old pokemon? My whole team was all gen 6 except Blastoise and I only used him because you get his mega stone straight away.
>>
>>25783713
White 2/ Black 2 would like to have a word with you.
>>
X/Y and B2/W2 have had the best distributions of old and new, by far. I'm looking forward to next gen just because, despite other aspects of the series being up and down, the available Pokemon just keep getting better.
>>
>Wanting old Pokes
Kill yourself
>Wanting OP handouts
Kill yourself
>Wanting easy normieshit
Kill yourself

You've just proved exactly what's wrong with Gen 6
>>
Lack of new Pokémon introduced
>>
>>25783713
i agree, 450 pokemon in a regional dex is amazing.
>>
>>25783713

I prefer the unova approach, or at least more new pokemon added.
>>
>>25783765
are you me?
>>
File: 1425265210791.gif (360 KB, 500x420) Image search: [Google]
1425265210791.gif
360 KB, 500x420
>>25783713
>it had the best distribution of Pokemon of any game
I can unironically agree with this.
>>
>>25783765
>using megas in-game
Spotted the pleb. Lose your smartphone or something? What's with the 4chan filename and not image.jpg?
>>
>>25783713
>every trainer has a completely unique team
This was the best thing about X/Y. I hate how the older games have a limited Pokedex of around 200 so every trainer uses the same team. They've made over 700 Pokemon, they may as well at least use them all instead of arbitrarily locking away the old ones and forcing trainers to have boring teams.

It was also one thing I would have liked to see in ORAS. I wish they just gave you the national dex from the start instead of waiting until after the Kyogre/Groudon sub-plot.
>>
Platinum did a decent distribution too.
>>
>>25783713
The variety was nice, I suppose, but the distribution was awful, and the sheer number of old Pokémon completely overshadowed the new additions and drained the region of any sense of identity. It feels like one of those romhacks that crams every single Pokémon in for the sake of it.
I have to agree with >>25783772, BW2 struck a good balance between old and new with its dex and the distribution of Pokémon. XY took it too far.
>>
>>25783713
This is one of the few things X and Y fucking nailed, every area had different pokemon which made them feel very unique, it's a shame they fucked it up in ORAS.
>>
>>25783980
In fairness, ORAS was a remake, so they probably wanted to keep the distribution from 3rd gen intact.
>>
>>25783713
>pseudos like Axew
haxorus pls go
>>
>>25783713
>>25783732
Both were garbage
A majority of new mons with some older ones like Sinnoh and Hoenn did is the best

Too many older mons deprives the region from its own identity, and zero older ones feel weird (and uncomfortable is most new ones are shit like in Gen V)
>>
>>25783906
That's not a fair comparison because gen 5 added a bunch of new pokemon and gen 6 didn't, not to mention that gen 6 had to add gen 5 pokemon as well
>>
File: seeeyymouur.jpg (3 KB, 125x115) Image search: [Google]
seeeyymouur.jpg
3 KB, 125x115
>>25783772

This.

But to be honest, I love the feeling of being in a completely unknown region, finding and discovering weird and unfamiliar creatures that you have to learn how to use. Gen 5 is still the greatest gen to this date, because it does that so well. It captures what the actual premise of Pokemon IS, and completely redoes it. It's amazing how it was brave enough to do what Gen 1 did all those years back.

Seeing yet another Zubat in a cave is just a depressing experience.
>>
SM will probably be like this. The concept art has a bunch of different old Pokemon. Since they're 20th anniversary games they might make it so you can catch all 720+ Pokemon just between the two games.
>>
>>25784299
But Zubat appears in a grand total of one cave in XY. That's how it should be, each area should have completely new Pokemon. Gen 5's approach of replacing every Zubat encounter with a Woobat encounter didn't fix anything, it just made you pissed off with Woobat too.
>>
I feel like it cheapens the experience.
I don't really know how to put it but finding magnemite was supposed to be factory.

Diglit had its own tunnel
So did Unown etc.
I feel like the habitats are cheapening
>>
>>25783995
>>25783980
Which is a bad thing, starting the game with level 999 dexnav at minute 1 is how you're supposed to play oras
>>
>>25783713
I appreciated that a lot of stuff was available too, in games other than X/Y and BW2 I just feel handicapped by limits to particular types of pokemon. Like in Hoenn if you want a good flier, you have to use fucking Swellow.

I think the ideal region would have 150 new pokes but have something like the pokeradar or something that you could use to find a lot of other stuff relatively early, like if you looked long enough on route 1 you could find any of the vermin or any of the noob birds.
>>
>>25786354
what?
>>
This is true and its one of the reasons I think very highly of gen 6.

>>25783765

Shut the fuck up. I was happy to use the new and improved Fairy type Granbull which I have never touched before and never would have touched if not for the retyping.
>>
>>25786413
What do you not understand?
Even the variety in Emerald is better.
>>
>>25783713
As much as I had issues early on because I NEVER use a lot of first generation pokemon due to generally finding them boring looking, I really do like XY's distribution and outside of the horribly slow story stuff at the start, its my favorite game to do repeat playthroughs of due to the team variety you can have, I've used a lot of pokemon I've never used on an In-game team before in XY like Toxicroak, Drapion, and Bagon, because they were actually obtainable at the point in the game before catching new pokemon stops being viable (like how in Gen 4 you pretty much have to get through half the gyms before you encounter anythings besides Bidoof)
>>
>>25783713
>450 dex only 16% of which are new pokemon

Shit ratio. If you're going to give us 72 new pokemon at least make sure they are about half of the entire pokedex.

If you want 450 total dex, at least give us over 100 new mons.

And not make us all see pidgey as the first encounter ffs.
>>
>>25784561
>it just made you pissed off with Woobat too
Woobat debuted on that gen so that is still better than seeing zubat for 5 generations straight even if it was isolated to just one or few routes/caves.
>>
>>25783765
>Why would you want old pokemon?
Because what the fuck is the point of experiencing a Pokémon adventure if I can't even use my favorite Pokémon?
>>
>>25786938
>not realizing this is there way of delaying the inevitable
>not realizing with gamefreaks weird autism of not retconning things (like making new evolutions of old pokemon ALWAYS require methods that weren't available in the previous games to explain why they couldn't evolve in those games) will not allow them to make Bulbasaur 0001 instead of 001
>not realizing that if they dont add less new pokemon each game, we will very much quicker get to the point where they dont add any new pokemon at all.
>>
>>25783732
I loved that and hope it happens again, but I also appreciate being able to rerun the game and use all sorts of old-ass mons that I always took for granted. Both are good and they can alternate between them.
>>
>>25786991
> ALWAYS require methods that weren't available in the previous games to explain why they couldn't evolve in those games
So just give them a new move. There's plenty of inconsistencies and retconning going on each gen. Hell even ORAS is inconsistent to XY and ancientpower tangela exists before gen 4.
>>
>>25787244
Just out of curiosity, how is ORAS inconsistent with XY?
>>
File: 1439869972832.png (46 KB, 637x412) Image search: [Google]
1439869972832.png
46 KB, 637x412
>>25787269
Just 1 out of the >721 inconsistencies.
>>
>>25787288
I don't get it.
>>
>>25787320
>>not realizing with gamefreaks weird autism of not retconning things
>>
>>25783713
Well of course it did, gen 6 is far and away the best generation.
>>
>>25787337
Movesets have always been the exception. With other things like Evolutions they always try a bit too hard to make that stuff consistent across gens, adding weird-ass random items and backwards evolution methods to evolve older pokemon. This is also the reason why mega-stones are individual types of stone rather than just a universal "mega stone" item, so that they have a future-proof solution for adding new megas in future games.

Back to what my post was focusing on, the pokedex numbers of the pokemon are slightly iconic in a way, I just cannot see them redoing Mewtwo as "0150" for example, which is what they would have to do very very soon if we kept getting BW-size generations (which we dont even have enough room for two more gens of that size)
>>
>>25787426
>movesets have always been the exception
and base stats, and abilities, and design. And item descriptions, and item's abilities, and move's powers/descriptions/abilties, and the type-chart

So pokemon have always been the exception to GF's weird autism of not retconning things?
They're retconning everything every single opportunity they get

>Back to what my post was focusing on, the pokedex numbers of the pokemon are slightly iconic in a way, I just cannot see them redoing Mewtwo as "0150" for example, which is what they would have to do very very soon if we kept getting BW-size generations
MEWTWO was written like that for 4 gens. They honestly do not care. They do not copyright the numbers. You'll still call it 150 it just shows up differently. If you think that's their reason for not making many pokemon you're a fool. It's literally a non-issue.
>>
>>25783887
>wanting to have fun in game

What an asshole!
>>
>>25783765

All odd generation games are best experienced by using new Pokémon
All even generation games are best experienced by using a mix of old and new.

This is undisputable.
>>
>>25783713
>bagon is easily obtainable before 2nd gym
>so is absol
>so is axew

Gee, sure loved how all these rare Pokemon were just practically handed to you. Seriously, the rarest Pokemon in the game are fucking Ekans and Taillow.
>>
>>25787537
Adding older pokemon earlier and before the post game can make replay value better. I've already played through X&Y like 5 times because of the selection. I guess it says a lot about the Gym Leaders though because I barely remember much about half of them. Maybe a face, but that's like it.
>>
>>25787566
>getting good Pokemon is bad

Yeah, it needs to be more like Gold and Silver where Larvitar and Sneasel can't be obtained until you beat all 16 gyms.
>>
>>25787599
good greif please tell me you pokebanked your previous 'mons before starting a new game.
>>
>>25787487
I just think your autism isn't compatible with GF's.
>>
>>25787906
Why do I have autism? Your deflection is nonsensical.
>>
>>25787911
Dude, you get triggered for level up movesets that have been varying from game to game for six gens. Tell me with a straight face that's not autistic. Not even the other anon with the Mewtwo issue.
>>
>>25783732
Yeah much prefer this method, really makes the region and experience feel fresh, you're forced to experiment with new pokemon rather than relying on old favourites
>>
>>25787944
Non sequitur and strawman
>>
>>25787817
but Sneasel is a shitmon
>>
>>25783713
100% agreed. The distribution is next fucking level. Huge selection of Pokemon at all stages of the game.For me it is my favorite game to play through right now just because there are so many options as to what team you can go through the game with.The post game is a joke and the design of the areas is probably some of the worst the series has to offer but the teambuilding is absolutely the best in the series for me, bar-none. So disappointed to see ORAS stick to the original distribution from R/S instead of stepping up to X/Y's level.
>>
>>25786976
So just play the damn old games if you dont want to shake up a few things here and there

>>25786991
What the fuck even is the relation of your rant on my post? I was talking about the ratio. If they dont want to make tons of new mons, fine. But dont oversaturate the dex with pokemon we've seen literally for decades to the point that you have to go out of your way to experience the new pokemon because it takes away the identity of the region and the gameplay

>>25787060
Which is why Gen 7 is a good gen to do it again. Simply because Gen 6 brought back sooo many old pokemon. Or at least limit old pokemon to like 30% of the pre-e4 dex
>>
>>25783995
There are some things that are a bad idea, and Wingull in 25+ locations is one of them
>>
>>25787835
Well duh.
>>
>>25788136
ORAS distribution is ass. It's hard to build a team in game, especially because I like to dump my starter, but ORAS might make me keep it.
>>
File: 1446826742354.png (76 KB, 662x413) Image search: [Google]
1446826742354.png
76 KB, 662x413
>Kalos has a handful of Pokemon from all generations in one region
>The paralells and homages the Kalos region has to the Kanto region, Johto region, Hoenn region, Sinnoh region, and Unova region
>yfw X and Y was only a preview of it all coming together
>>
>>25784248
> is most new ones are shit like in Gen V
having tastes this shit
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.