[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would /vp/ feel about a starter trio that isn't Water,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8
File: typetrios.png (358 KB, 1591x580) Image search: [Google]
typetrios.png
358 KB, 1591x580
How would /vp/ feel about a starter trio that isn't Water, Grass, and Fire?
>>
>>25775402
They would lose their shit.
>>
nah
>>
The first one is too imbalanced because Dark is immune to Psychic rather than just resisting it.

I would like this though:

>Water/Grass
>Grass/Fire
>Fire/Water
>>
I would lose a lot more than my shit
>>
File: 1458547130951.png (1 MB, 1019x881) Image search: [Google]
1458547130951.png
1 MB, 1019x881
>Dark/Steel
>Fighting/Ice
>Psychic/Ground
>>
>>25775402
they need to have the same interactions with each other in reverse, too.

grass/ground/poison would be nice. i'm thinking ekans, phanpy, and skiddo?

alternatively, we could do ice/rock/grass, too.
>>
It'll never happen. Fire, water, and grass are simple elemental types with intuitive match-ups between them, that lend themselves well to distinctive designs. So they're perfect to introduce new players to the game, and perhaps more importantly are ideal for use as marketing mascots. They're not going anywhere.

The best we can hope for is interesting secondary types.
>>
>>25775402
Neither of those is a perfect type triangle
>>
>>25775402
If Game Freak wanted to do that, they shouldn't have gone 6 generations with W/G/F starters. Anything else would feel like a spinoff or a fanhack.
>>
They already did the first one in Gen 6
>>
Fighting
Flying
Electric
>>
The only other ones that would work are Flying/Fighting/Rock, Grass/Poison/Ground, and Fire/Rock/Steel. None of these can compete with a Water/Grass/Fire trio (although I wouldn't mind a well-thought-out 3-stage Poison line).

I wouldn't MIND them removing Dark's immunity to Psychic, but I doubt that'll happen.
>>
There should be a starter for each type but dragon
>>
>>25775457
>Implying GF would waste pokedex slots on that
>>
>>25775431
How would Ice/Rock/Grass work? Grass doesn't resist Rock. Rock doesn't resist Ice. Ice doesn't resist Grass.
>>
I will be so disappointed if there is no bug/dragon this one
>>
>>25775402
fairy/dragon/dark would be fine
>>
I wish Ice type wouldn't be so garbage
Maybe a Fire/Ice type starter would be a pretty big curveball and throw off some of its weaknesses
>>
>>25775466
I said in my original post that they need to have the same interactions with each other in reverse, too. With that logic, we could do Dragon/Dragon/Dragon and Ghost/Ghost/Ghost too.
>>
>>25775492
>muh clandestine cobblestones
>>
File: dragon eevee.png (79 KB, 267x244) Image search: [Google]
dragon eevee.png
79 KB, 267x244
>>25775545
>starters are Dragon/Fire, Dragon/Water, Dragon/Grass
might be cool
>>
isn't fighting/flying/rock the only other monotype that works
>>
>>25775466
So long as they all lack resistance what does it matter? Besides it's not like anyone ever tried to hit their rival's starter with the obvious type disadvantage. So things like resistance or immunity really don't matter. And if it were really that big an issue you can add a second type to the starter that happens to add the resistance needed.
>>
>>25775402
Those three types are not immune to anything
>>
>>25775492
>throw off some of its weaknesses
Fire/Ice is weak to Water, Ground, Fighting, and very weak against Rock. It loses resistance to Fire and Steel. The only thing it gains that's a bonus is the double resistance to Ice
>>
>>25775402
>that right sample

Replace Sandshrew with Trubbush and you're onto something
I propose this name for your game: Pokemon Feces and Pokemon Bogey
>>
Thinking all ghost starters
>>
File: Balance.jpg (10 KB, 330x249) Image search: [Google]
Balance.jpg
10 KB, 330x249
>>25775402
There's no reason to change it. It's the most intuitive and functional working triangle.
I definitely wouldn't mind secondary rivals/recurring trainers that experimented with other Types, though.

Also, can everyone stop pretending the Type matchup between the starters matters past the first stage? Everyone is going to have coverage options and a full team to back up their choice of starter, it is completely irrelevant whether one or the other has an immunity or 4x weakness. If you want the triangle to be "completely balanced" you're going to have to start with addressing shit like literally every Water Type in the game having Ice moves.
>>
>>25775402

Poison, Grass, Ground
Rock, Flying, Fighting
Fire, Steel, Rock

Did I miss any?
>>
I would hate it.
>>
>>25777160
Nope, that's all of them. Any others won't work because the type chart doesn't work backwards, being NVE against the stronger type.
>>
>>25775448
Fighting doesn't beat electric though fuckwit

try flying fighting and rock or ice
>>
>>25777160
I'll love to start with a Ground or Steel type, as Marshstomp and Empoleon can tell...
>>
I wouldn't like it.
>>
>>25775402
>flying paper plane
>fighting scissor swordsman
>rock rocky rock
>>
File: 1445230670107.jpg (23 KB, 436x432) Image search: [Google]
1445230670107.jpg
23 KB, 436x432
>>25775402
>gears
>ice cream
>>
>>25775402
It would be stupid because no other trio is perfectly balanced like Water/Fire/Grass. The only reason you would change it is so that you can be different for the sake of being different.
>>
>>25775402
Screw you, I want to choose from any type.
>>
>>25783604
>perfectly balanced like Water/Fire/Grass
>Water learns Ice moves and can kill both others
k

Now if Fire Pokemon could inherently learn Electric moves and Grass Pokemon could inherently learn Ground moves like how Water Pokemon can inherently learn Ice moves, THEN it would be perfectly balanced.
>>
>>25775402
They should do "secondary starters" (like the elemental monkeys in Unova or the Kanto starters in Kalos) with other type matchups.
>>
>>25783822

eevee exists
>>
File: 1427234440025s.jpg (3 KB, 125x108) Image search: [Google]
1427234440025s.jpg
3 KB, 125x108
>no starter of each type to choose from
>>
>>25783822
I always liked the idea of each version of the game having its own set of starters (e.g. Pokemon This version has Grass/Fire/Water, Pokemon That version has Dark/Fighting/Psychic)

EIther that, or, you're given a choice at the beginning of the game that determines what set of starters you get,
>You save the professor from some thugs, you take him back to their house where they give you a Grass, Fire, or Water starter to help you should you run into thugs or wild pokemon again
>You save the professor from some thugs, then go after them cause they stole something expensive from the professor. You set off immediately to chase them down to get it back, but the Professor stops you, then allows you to choose a Dark, Fighting, or Psychic starter they had on them
>>
The closest we'll get is another secondary triangle like we had in XY.
>>
Yes please
>>
File: 143153151655.jpg (38 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
143153151655.jpg
38 KB, 600x450
>new Pokemon mainline game comes out
>you can choose any of the following to start with

Normal: Lillipup

Fire: Magby

Water: Spheal

Electric: Mareep

Grass: Budew

Ice: Swinub

Fighting: Machop

Poison: Zubat

Ground: Trapinch

Flying: Pidgey

Psychic: Ralts

Rock: Roggenrola

Ghost: Duskull

Dragon: Axew

Dark: Sandile

Steel: Magnemite

Fairy: Floette
>>
>>25786828
nah famiglia. they should all be monotype.
which of course means flying gets Tornadus :^)
>>
>>25787971
Not possible. I selected those mon for a few reasons. They're the only mon that were
1. a 3-stage line
2. not starters, pseudos, or legends
3. gave each Gen the best representation I could
4. didn't replicate a type via dual-typed mon more than once (no more than 2 Ground-types, etc.)
>>
>>25775402
ice flying fighting could work, but the flying starter would need to be pure flying somehow to make things properly balanced
>>
>>25787998
this is true, but I feel like some could be changed and still be fine.

spheal -> poliwag
swinub -> vanilite (though swinub is honestly probably better)
possibly zubat -> nidoran
ralts -> abra, gothita, or solosis
possibly magnemite -> klink (rip movepool), honedge (rip balanced when it becomes aegislash), or aron (rip usefulness)
other than that I like your list, and these are nitpicks. only ones I feel strongly about are spheal and ralts.
>>
>>25775402

We literally have the first trio in gen 6. The second one lacks resistances except steel against ice.
>>
>>25788174
I liked Spheal for an alt. Ice, but Poliwag is perfectly fine, and I wanted Raltz for an alt. Fairy, but Abra is perfectly fine. Even Solosis.
>>
>>25788200
yeah abra represents psychic type better imo, solosis line is too slow & physically bulky. and gothita might be overpowered with shadow tag, but idk cause the AI tends not to switch.
>>
>>25775852
Did you even read the thread?
>>
File: 1363875678747.jpg (83 KB, 850x566) Image search: [Google]
1363875678747.jpg
83 KB, 850x566
Machop
Geodude
Zubat
>>
>>25775402
never going to happen
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.