[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
be honest, anon. did you like the megaevolution gimmick?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 10
File: 1454329558063.png (6 KB, 283x285) Image search: [Google]
1454329558063.png
6 KB, 283x285
be honest, anon.

did you like the megaevolution gimmick?
>>
>>25768852
no
>>
>>25768852
hell no
>>
File: 1434659310051.png (10 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1434659310051.png
10 KB, 500x500
Yes, a lot. It's the reason I came back to Pokémon after stoping on Gen 2.
>>
no, the worst part is this feature will be here forever
>>
>did you like
But its not going anywhere. It'll be crammed into S/M and we'll only have 3 new Pokemon again.
>>
>>25768852
It's the best design additions Gamefreak has come up with since the Physical/Special split
>>
I liked the concept, but the execution has been pure ass and only served to make the meta more hyper-offensive than it already was.
>>
>>25768852
I hated it at first but now I don't mind it to much. I just wish some of the designs were better, I'm looking at you sharpedo/metagross/aerodactyl.
>>
>>25768871
>its not going anywhere. It'll be crammed into S/M and we'll only have 3 new Pokemon again.
Oh no, less pointless filler in the pokedex whatever will we do.
>>
>>25768871
Yeah, man. They should introduce 200 new pokemon each generation. By gen 8 we should have 1500 pokemon in the pokedex. Yeah, that's totally awesome. Every route should have 25 different pokemon at 4% encounter rate each. So awesome!!!
>>
>>25768895
90% of megas are even more pointless and just make strong Pokemon stronger.
>>
>>25768852
liked the concept, not so much in the execution
>>
>>25768895
>implying the vast majority of Megas aren't filler

New Pokemon >>> An ugly version of an old Pokemon that still isn't worth shit in the meta anyways
>>
>>25768906
Oh no. Pokemon are strong. That's such a big problem...

Where's my top percentage rattatas!!
>>
At first I kept my thoughts indifferent, mostly because I wanted to observe the shit storm that hit when they first announced it.
Now, I admit I like it because of 2 reasons:
>1. I gotta agree with the whole concept of "giving old Pokemon something new to keep up", even if Gf isn't handling it well atm...but hey, my most anticipated mega is one for Hydreigon

>2. It gives me something to look forward to alongside new Pokemon and new mechanics. Now we can anticipate if whether any Pokémon we like will get a Mega.

The only con I agree with is how Megaevolution will affect the number of new Pokemon from here on out. Will we have the number reduced to around 70~80 now, instead of a good 100?
>>
>>25768880
You people either complain about the hyper offensive meta, or the stall meta. You people just want to bitch
>>
>>25768925
>You people just want to bitch
Yeah, that's what happens when most of the board is filled with underaged angsty teenagers.
>>
>>25768852
No, it was too gimmicky. I liked Fairy types though so burn me and my opinion.
>>
>>25768920
>Oh no. Pokemon are strong. That's such a big problem...

When the whole point was to give older Pokemon that were left in the dust a leg up, yeah, it's a big fucking problem. They basically accomplished nothing.
>>
>>25768852
Yeah. Still remember my first reaction when I went on Serebii and I jumped to 4chan immediately, made a thread, and watched the flow of 700 posts of butthurt.

I thought Mega Blaziken looked dope
>>
>>25768919
You can just ignore megas you won`t see the majority unless you use their stone.

I can`t ignore not pidgey.
>>
>>25768946
I can't ignore them when I play online
>>
>>25768913
this.
>>
>>25768939
Yeah, same. I saw it on Serebii and flew the fuck down my stairs to tell my brothers. I couldnt believe it, it was like a dream come true. Each one of them looked so fucking cool too especially Lucario
>>
>>25768955
Took me a while to realize Dedenne wasn't the Mega Evolution of Raichu
>>
>>25768938
>They basically accomplished nothing.
But they did give old pokemon a boost. No one ever said that that was the only point of megas. They give old pokemon a boost. They expand upon a pokemon's strengths and offer different options. Most importantly the don't devalue the original pokemon like a normal evolution would. They give you an ace in your team or a special partner that is different from your 5 other pokemon.

You're thinking the whole thing from a solely competitive perspective when the whole game is literally designed around single player. Give it up. You'll most likely never get a pokemon game where multiplayer or the competitive side is the design focus. Pokemon multiplayer is a niche and you should understand that. The overwhelming majority of people don't ever try out the multiplayer.
>>
I like the idea behind them, but they were implemented incorrectly. I must ask, IS there a way for gameplay to not shoot story in the foot? Definitely not as pokemon was imagined. All of the collection aspect undermines it.
>>
>>25768852
I did. Now the real question is will GameFreak keep making new Megas or will a new gimmick take their place?
>>
>>25768974
>game is design around single player
>megas are owned by less than 12 people in the whole game
>>
>>25768974
>You're thinking the whole thing from a solely competitive perspective when the whole game is literally designed around single player. Give it up.

>"why does Gen 6 have no postgame or difficulty levels"
>"playing Pokemon for SP is dumb, do multiplayer"
>"why is MP so awful"
>"Pokemon is for SP, deal with it"

I fucking hate Gen 6 fags
>>
>>25768852
I'm not gonna debate the "strong pokemon stronger" ordeal,
because, frankly, I just use whatever Pokemon I like, ANYWAY

That said...

I think it's a really cool idea, and, in some cases, it's KINDA cool because it gives new life to older Pokemon (i.e., Mawile, Beedrill, etc..)
But, in other cases, it just seems excessive (i.e., Mewtwo, Rayquaza)
I guess, in a sense, that IS "makes strong Pokemon stronger" but, really it's more of an issue of giving Mega's to Pokemon that could have just had a regular evolution (Mawile) or didn't really need to be that much improved on (Tyranitar)
IDK, I really like it, its super cool, it just seems...fuck, man, I really DON'T know.
I really do like it, but, there's just something about it that seems...limiting, in a weird way.
>>
>>25768974
>aim of the game is to catch them all
>design it so that some pokemon are version exclusive, forcing you to trade with people who have the other version
>'pokemon multiplayer is a niche'

The games would never have gotten as big as they did if they didn't focus on playing with other people to an extent
>>
>>25769000
What the fuck are you even trying to say? Be coherent. I enjoyed gen 6 like every generation. It's far far away from being anywhere close to my favorite generation.

>>25768997
Yeah, that's a problem. That doesn't change that the game is designed around single player. Most trainers should definitely have megas. Perhaps the issue was that too few pokemon had megas so giving the same megas to a lot of trainers would become old very quickly.
>>
>>25768852
I liked some of the designs, but not mega evolution. Give me cross gen evos any day.
>>
>>25769024
Playing with other people != design focus is a competitive meta.
>>
>>25769024
Was that really a thing? As far as I know, people just liked to play the game. They only traded because they had to. I don't think it would've made a difference.
>>
So a gimmick is a mechanic when I don't like it? I like the mechanic
>>
File: 1457630601467.png (4 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1457630601467.png
4 KB, 500x500
>>25768852
I like in a competitive battling sense but I wish more mega pokemon were viable. I also like how it brings some pokemon that might never have seen the light of day some well needed buffs like Manetric or Sableye or Venusaur

I hate it in a story sense of "you are the chosen 10 year old boy now digivolve and defeat the bad guy" and also that most mega evolutions look awful or have wasted potential

All in all I'd just prefer them to stop mega-evolutions next game. Although I won't be heart-broken when they have them in anyway
>>
>>25768902
Honestly. Would play/10.
>document the existence of creatures other than humans while we still can
>>
>>25768931
Guys are angsty till theyre like 28, and thats just science
>inb4 underage faggot, im actually 24, with about as many edges as a sphere
>>
File: 1459007055265.png (451 KB, 783x509) Image search: [Google]
1459007055265.png
451 KB, 783x509
They confirmed in the Delta Episode that the Mega Universe is separate from the Original Universe. Any chance they'll ever make another game in the Original setting?
>>
>>25768852
I love having a "nuclear option" in games. That being said, some of the designs are pure diarrhea.
>>
>>25768852
No
>>
>>25769065
they will have to stop making new megas sooner or later

not only because the feature itself will be old news by the time SM comes out, but also because scrolling through hundreds of different mega stones is going to be tedious as shit (not like it already isn't)
>>
>>25769002
>new life to older pokemon
>mawile
What is fairy type for $200
>>
>>25768852
You should probably learn what a gimmick is

And yes, I did. Probably because I'm not a casual fag and actually enjoy PvP
>>
>>25768871
Yeah because alienating new players is a good thing
Having so many Pokemon that new players won't remember them all is a good thing

It's funny, because even a lot of the PvP player on Youtube I see don't even know all the Pokemon, and yet they should add more? I don't think so...
>>25768880

Mega Slowbro is a hyper offensive mon. I'll remember that next time I go make an HO team
>>
>>25768852
You know what, I did. It gave old and underdog Pokémon something to live for.

For some I would have preferred regular evolutions first (Mawile, Sableye, etc.), but for Pokémon that seemed to have reached the end of their line like Blastoise and Latias it's a new lease on life.

If Nintendo doesn't drop cross-generation evolutions altogether in favor of Mega Evolutions it will be 10/10 in my book.
>>
>>25768852
yes, very much
>>
>>25768852
There should have been fewer mega evolutions. Others just needed regular evolved forms.
>>
File: 1406432120392.png (48 KB, 350x277) Image search: [Google]
1406432120392.png
48 KB, 350x277
>>25768852
It took some time getting used to but it's still pretty messed up and had poor execution

>Megas given to already powerful pokemon
I get that they have to promote to sell but buffing a pokemon feeds its popularity and popularity demands that it be buffed some more in the future. It's a vicious cycle and it leaves a lot of more underpowered pokemon even less relevant.

>Megas given to pokemon that could still have a regular evolution
Giving them megas pretty much is a death sentence to a possible future traditional evolution, which it could use better as it has to compete with even better megas

>Bad mega design (gameplay)
Who the fuck would choose M-Steelix over other better, one-species-fits-all-teams like M-Kangaskhan? Why would you go for M-Gallade when M-Medicham exists? It's even worse than regular mons because if you're good, you can still fit both Gallade and Medicham in a team if you really want to, but with the limited slot, you literally have to choose just one, and leave the outclassed in the dust

>Bad mega design (aesthetics)
A lot of them appear lazy and are weird with some being outright horrible or counter-intuitive to their fucntion. Aerodactyl has high speed? Give him more spikes that should somehow reduce streamlining but doesn't because why the fuck not? More spikes are cool. Mega-Manectric, Mega-Heracross are outright abominations of designs.

I mean yeah, they gave life to pokemon like Kangaskhan and Beedrill, but we have several that were totally unnecessary and served only to break the metagame even more.

>Counterparts
before anybody starts saying "m-muh patterns", certain pokemon WERE made to be counterparts. It's undeniable. They are either version exclusives, have a number of similarities in typing, stats or movepool, often depicted as rivals in other media, etc. Why they leave some out in the dust really bothers me.
>>
>>25768852
Not really. I'd prefer stat changes and evolutions, but oh well.
>>
>>25768852
Yeah.
>>
>>25769207
Its your fault if you don't keep up. It just means you don't care. New Pokemon are always a good thing.
>>
>>25768852
Dear god no.

At least Gamefreak intentionally designed megas as a mechanic to be easily discarded and forgotten about in gen VII in case they turned out to be a disaster. Mega evolution was a zero comitment/zero risk strategy for them. It would be painfully easy to erase them from future games:

>reintroduce an item barrier like the one going from Gen V to Gen VI
>don't code any data for mega stones or forms in gen VII
>Pretend megas never existed, erase all mention of megas from official sources. Stonewall anyone who asks about megas.
>>
>>25769175
>implying it wasn`t both
>implying anyone who isn`t insane would use a regular mawile
>>
>>25769464
The fact that people this delusional browse /vp/ always amuses me.
>>
>>25768974
If the game is designed around single player, then why isn't the Battle Frontier in ORAS?
>>
>>25769575
I don't know. Go ask gamefreak. Wait, do you think the exclusion of a single player end game feature makes the design multiplayer focused? Wut? I really don't get your logic at all.
>>
>>25769505
My fairy/steel of choice is klefki
>>
Yes it was really cool and still is.
>>
>>25768852
I like it until they just gave 90% of them to popular mons who are already powerful
>>
File: 1333669674449.png (2 MB, 945x1337) Image search: [Google]
1333669674449.png
2 MB, 945x1337
>>25768852
It was a cute gimmick and not done horribly in XY, but all things considered I think making it a continuing staple of the series was a mistake.
>>
>>25769065
>I hate it in a story sense of "you are the chosen 10 year old boy now digivolve and defeat the bad guy" and also that most mega evolutions look awful or have wasted potential
So there's no difference with the pre gen 6 games.
>>
>>25769984
This, it's my only real problem with them since I always figured they were designed for starters or Pokemon that desperately needed to be brought back into the fold because they've fallen into obscurity, but then shit like Scizor and Gengar get one solely because they're popular.

It's like Blizz's/WoW's efforts at balancing. Frost Mage gets all the random buffs solely because the most people play it, solely because it's the most powerful already. It's a weird thought process.

Other than that I'm fine with Megas beyond the few straight up awful designs like Manetric and Aerodactyl.
>>
>>25769984
So you will never dislike them?
>>
Like Fairy, it's a daring idea and a good concept, but could be better executed. I think the only complaints I have are that legendaries should not have them, and they fucked up with the ORAS E4 all having megas, but not their aces.
>>
>>25768852
NO
NO
FCKING NO
>>
My greatest hope is that, next gen, none of the current megas will be included, and we'll get a fresh batch of them instead.

GF has stated that it wants each gen to feel unique, and this would be a great way to do that: give each gen a unique selection of megas and let those megas shape that gen's meta and gameplay.

I like megas, but if they keep adding more and never trim the fat, we'll end up with every single Pokemon having a mega and them having to find a place to jam hundreds of MegaStones into the game. It just isn't sustainable.
>>
>>25771881
You people should give up. Actual new forms of pokemon will never be removed from the games. Also, are you seriously implying that it's easier for Gamefreak to tell people that Mega-Lucario and Mega-Charizard X/Y are gone than finding a way to distribute fucking hold items in the overworld? Are you serious right now?
>>
I'm pretty neutral on it. I do like the idea of giving older/weaker pokemon more viability. but i don't like giving megas to pokemon like mewtwo that don't need the boost, or the fact that it'll likely make it so they no longer give older pokemon traditional evolutions any more.
>>
>>25768852
Some were fine, some were unneeded, for some I would've preferred a regular evolution. Mixed bag, all things considered.
>>
>>25768852
No.
>>
File: 1447490676841.gif (2 MB, 500x455) Image search: [Google]
1447490676841.gif
2 MB, 500x455
>>25768859
Are you me?
>>
>>25769065
>implying that mega sableye is worth using
I always use my normal prankster and he is the most feared by all my pokéfriends(only have like 5 irl but still)
>>
>>25768859
>>25772011
Not him but I'm you too
>>
What I dislike most about megas is that in each new game after this they will inevitably be shoehorned into what little plot the main games have even though they were originally billed as being exclusive to Kalos.

I can picture it now...

>gen n, maybe even Sun and Moon
>get your starter from your mom
>go on a short fetch quest for the professor
>professor gives you a pokedex and a mega ring, telling you that it'll probably be useful in the future
>>
>>25772837
How can you say a new pokemon form is exclusive to a region? Did you also think that the rotom forms initially looked like a sinnoh exclusive because Charon's lab was there?

Any new pokemon form is as good as a new pokemon. Never expect exclusivity to a region or gen.
>>
>>25772837
Who the fuck cares?
>>
>>25772837
Gamefreak really dropped the ball on that one, if its gonna be in more then one game, don`t say its exclusive to a region

But then again Gen 6 lore was pretty good, even if the games themselves were meh.
>>
>>25768852
Yes. It and 3D are what brought me back after the shitshow that gen 5 was.
>>
File: 889c.gif (156 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
889c.gif
156 KB, 500x282
No, and it's here to stay.
>>
>>25768852
Definitely.

I think it's a brilliant gimmick but with absolutely terrible execution.
Megas should've been given mainly to shitmon or other fairly unpopular mon to help them see more usage while not having to go fucking insane with the stat increase, bringing Mons with bad stats to acceptable levels instead turning them into demigods and adding to the power creep.

At the moment, it at least slows the pokedex down, and evolutions for old moms are unlikely when they can just give them a Mega
>>
>>25768852
I don't mind it, but I wish certain Megas where cross-gen evolutions. Also, some of them like Mega Slowbro are kinda ridiculous in design.
>>
File: 1456789268871.png (253 KB, 329x305) Image search: [Google]
1456789268871.png
253 KB, 329x305
>>25768852
I'm polarized. On one hand it makes some of my favorite mons a little viable. On the other hand, everyone has to pack one, it gets rid of permanent evolutions we needed and if they are shit/ugly you're stuck with them.
ALSO:
>giving legendaries fucking megas
>>
i dont mind
I would REALLY hate burst/fusion evolutions tho but they are coming
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.