[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been trying to think of concrete reasons as to why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: natures.png (13 KB, 356x295) Image search: [Google]
natures.png
13 KB, 356x295
I've been trying to think of concrete reasons as to why all the games after Gen II have seemingly lost their magic for me, and I've finally settled on the one thing above all others that bothers me most about neo-pokemon. It happened while I was playing Black version, and I transferred over a random level 60 Misdreavous I caught in Soul Silver about 7 years ago. Then I came upon a terrible realization: it had an Impish nature and was USELESS.

Natures ruin the games. I've said it. This is not an exaggeration or hyperbole. They are an unenjoyable experience. Your mon are useless unless you are blessed by the RNG gods with the 2-3 natures out of 21 that aren't completely useless for your specific Pokemon. It's just bad game design, and it wouldn't even be that hard for them to fix. Just make it so you can't get an objectively bad nature for a given Pokemon, like a Lonely Alakazam or a Naughty Blissey.

GF are stubborn fucks though and I don't expect they'll ever implement a new system that isn't anti-player. They care too much about the Pokemon having "personality" (meanwhile 99% of competitive players breed legit perfect pokemon from hacked parents to get around their stupid IV and nature mechanic).

Anyone who thinks natures were good for Pokemon is autistic.At best it's another box I have to click on powersave. And in gen IV and V, with Pokegen dead and me having sold my Action Replay almost a decade ago now, it's a game ruiner.
>>
>>25740149
I think I may agree with you. Was replaying Crystal and it was definitely a more relaxed experience, since I didn't have to worry about Abilities or Natures. I missed the physical/special split a bit, but knowing the game didn't have it beforehand, it helped me decide who to catch.

The sprites had some charm to them too, in part because of how ragged and different from the anime they came across (e.g. Entei). And they left to more imagination that way.
>>
>>25740149
Natures only negatively affect the metagame, which GF isn't required to care about. There's nothing wrong with them in-game.
>>
I don't mind natures because they're easy to manipulate and they all have a fair distribution. There might genuinely be someone out there who wants to build a physically defensive physical Mismagius.

IVs are the real cancer because there's no downside to min/maxing them and they're a pain to control.
>>
Why make a game conpetitive if the competition is borderline inaccessible? I can't stand this luck based 5 hour breed for perfect stats "game".
>>
Remove IVs too, while your at it. Fuck that retartded bullshit. Natures can stay if they remove IVs
>>
>>25740307
Because Pokemon was never designed to be competitive. Instead, a competitive fanbase started up around the games. The system's broken in the competitive meta because GF doesn't care about the competitive meta, and never will.
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 500x375
Nigga are you serious? I've beaten games with adamant alakazam, timid blaziken and so on. The games are so piss easy natures and IVs literally mean nothing ingame.
>>
File: generation-3.png (363 KB, 1600x1024) Image search: [Google]
generation-3.png
363 KB, 1600x1024
>>25740908
I'm struggling against Cynthia right now with my underleveled Misdreavous. I wanted to train him up the old-fashioned way but it's hard when his nature is so painfully sub-optimal.

>>25740336
Physical/Special split can stay but IVs and natures are both cancer.

>>25740228
Crystal is my favorite game of the series, but I prefer Gen V's sprites by a slight margin. Crystal's sprites are infinitely better than anything from Gen III though. Gen III was irredeemable garbage.
>>
>>25741107
>using unevolved shitmons

That's your problem
>>
I swept Cynthia's entire team in my first Diamond playthrough with a lv 66 Hasty Infernape and a lv 54 CAREFUL Dialga. When Garchomp came out, I had to pray that he gets a low roll on his attacks and I get a high roll on Roar of Time.
>>
One of my fondest memories of Pokemon was playing through Gold with a team consisting of freshly hatched Magby, Elekid, Smoochum, and Larvitar traded over from Silver.

Self-imposed sub-optimal runs can be fun if you don't have crippling OCD about it. I always thought it ended up being nice once you had to put effort forth to not be sub-optimal.
I do understand how terrible it must be for certain groups of people though, like those who can't stand the sight of a crooked picture frame in their house.
>>
>>25740149
Natures exist for competitive purposes.
I agree however, that they are implemented in a very bad way.
Both natures and IVs should be able to be manipulated or changed in the game, that way you can even stick with that "special pokemon" like your starter.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.