[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do YOU play Pokemon? I haven't seen a thread like this,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: ZoTk1UD.jpg (64 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
ZoTk1UD.jpg
64 KB, 500x282
How do YOU play Pokemon? I haven't seen a thread like this, but are there any special rules or ways that you play casually through a main series game?

Do you just pump your starter or do you try and create a balanced team?

Do you try and avoid trainers or do you battle everyone along each route?

Do you go out of your way for all the extra items lying around?

Stuff like that
>>
>>25736331
>Do you just pump your starter or do you try and create a balanced team?
I always have a party of 6 by the end. I used to solo everything with my starter back in gen 1 and 2 the first time around as a kid, but I quickly realized how boring that is.

>Do you try and avoid trainers or do you battle everyone along each route?
Battle everyone.

>Do you go out of your way for all the extra items lying around?
Yes. I must get them all.

I like to have balance in my team but I won't force it. For example, if there's a water type I really like and want to use I'll use it even if I picked a water starter or already have another water pokemon.
>>
The only thing I do like that, is I always grind my starter to 15 or so in the first area. Grinding habits
>>
If the game has Skarmory, I'm getting one. No matter what
>>
>>25736371
>if there's a water type I really like and want to use I'll use it even if I picked a water starter

You're braver than me, I feel wrong if I double up on a type even if there's two of a type I really like
>>
>>25736331
Use six Pokémon every run, generally try to have it by the fifth Gym unless there's something I specifically want for the run.

Avoid trainers.

Generally try to make myself underlevelled enough so the game isn't one endless chain of pushovers.

But I also catch every Pokémon available on a route, so Gen 6 fucks everything about my plans up.
>>
>>25736331
I always try to make a team of 6. Usually like to have
One fire Pokemon
One Water Pokemon
One Grass OR Electric Pokemon
One Ground Pokemon

I try to battle errybody.

I try to pick up whatever items I can, but super -hidden ones, meh.
>>
>>25736371
Oh and I failed to mention that I always use a Togekiss if I can since gen 4.
>>
I try to only use cute Pokemon's in my main gamss since in competitive there isn't many to use. Oh and I like playing the contest things in each gen with my main Mon.
>>
I try to keep everybody within a few levels of eachother, I hate unbalanced teams. I usually plan out what mons I'm using before I begin, then ignore everything but those 6. Fight every trainer, but run from all wild pokemon. Yes, I get all the items, and end up using almost none of them.
>>
File: trainercard.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
trainercard.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>>25736331
I always try to get the highest rank of trainer cards for some reason.
>>
I only use pokemon from their region and have three males and three females. e.g playing HG and using only johto pokemon until after the elite four, from there I use whatever for rematches. Also I dump my starter after the first gym depending on the game.
>>
>>25736331
Since getting back into Pokemon, I always train a team of more than 6. I realise it's not the best idea. It makes Emerald MUCH harder, and even when training 13 pokemon, Y was easy as shit.

I always talk to and battle everyone to get everything, the only exception being the Hoenn games because FUCK those last water Routes and that currents shit.

My Registered Items are always the Bike and Dousing Machine.

I dont rush the games, and usually spend some time at the facilities that are introduced, except Y because there were none that didnt suck, and ORAS Contests because I just didnt feel it.

Order of playing the games:
Crystal when it came out. Then when I got back into it,

Platinum->Black->Soul Silver->Black 2->Emerald->Y->Omega Ruby all close together. Next I'm gonna play FireRed, and Crystal again
>>
I never carry 6 pokemon, I try to have 5 or 4 + the slave.
One of them is always a pidgey or alternatively the first bird that shows up, just because I'm gonna need someone with Fly later.
With the rest I always try to have mons I've never used, sometimes I'll even trade my starter for something else.
I'm also always sorting my team in ascending order of levels so that they always remain at the same level, whoever is a single level above the rest just doesn't go into battle unless really necessary.
>>
>>25736393
I don't know, doubling up on dragons had little downside before gen vi
>>
>>25736331
I balance my team. I usually have a core of 3 that I actually use to fight, but I do keep a couple in rotation just in case I feel like changing it up. I don't like to actually use Pokemon with HMs other than Surf, so I just have shitty HM slaves taking up 2-3 slots in my team.

At first I fight every trainer, but sometimes I just get impatient and rush for a town as the game goes on.

I try to get as many items as possible, but I don't obsess about getting everything. I'll only go back to look for things I'm missing when I need them.

When it comes time for elite 4 I'll box the HM slaves and bring in the benched pokemon I keep in rotation.
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 540x452) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 540x452
>>25736376
My fucking nigga
>>
Always use Pokemon that I like, personally. They tend to be pretty weak though.

Stuff like Jumpluff and such
>>
>Use only starter
>Catch a team of 6 from the get-go
>Keep most of them level <10 for HM-slaving and paralyzing attacks
>Catch all pokemon on every route, using only pokéballs
>Do all the side stuff for extra items
>Talk to EVERY NPC and battle every trainer
>Never use ANY items that I have picked up other than pokeballs
>>
Pick the grass starter, love the water starter. Pick a normal-type bro. Pick a bug.
Things I always do in a Pokémon game
>>
The Gen6 exp is the best thing to happen to the game desu

No more battle swapping to level, and leveling more than one mon at a time

All they need to do is increase the levels on trainers slightly so the game remains difficult while encouraging you to have a balanced team, rather than having a single overleveled mon that wipes out everyone
>>
>>25736331
I usually dump my starter asap but other than that I just catch lots of mons so I have options to train if I want to latter, especially if they have good abilities/natures
>>
File: 1424730348020.png (74 KB, 248x211) Image search: [Google]
1424730348020.png
74 KB, 248x211
I get half-way through the game and stop playing because I get bored
>>
I level the whole team most of the time while favoring leveling up the starter.
Very combat focused.
>>
Full team. No legendaries, no overlapping types. Usually train each party member 5 levels between each gym. After I beat the league, I explore the region and do any story stuff that's left, battle online for a while then shelve the game forever.
>>
I've found by the end of any playthrough, if I didn't pick a fire starter then I usually have coverage against almost every type except grass.
>>
>>25736331

I try to only catch 6 Pokemon over the course of the entire game (Always trying to catch my favourites, and especially a nincada), usually banishing my starter to the PC after I got far enough in the game not to need it anymore. For example, in gen 3 I would use: Shedinja, Ninjask, Absol, Flygon, Salamance, and Skarmory. It made me have to grind forever but it was satisfying beating the elite 4 with a few pokemon you got to grow close with. (And I got to use my Ninjask for double team substitute baton pass shenanigans as well as my Shedinja as a pseudo wall, so I had to do a lot of planning and strategizing to make the most out of them.)
>>
>>25736331
Lately, I start a new file, pick my starter and then get bored. Pokemon doesn't hold my interest like it used to.
>>
I use 6 pokemon, pick the starter I like the look of most and use a balanced team and try not to have any types overlap (it's fine if they do but I try not too). I also pick up items but rarely use them unless i'm desperate. I don't use legendaries.
>>
no pokemons
>>
>>25736331
>My Rules
ALWAYS have the team as similarly-leveled as possible. To this end, all high-level mons to the back, all low-level mons to the front. I'm extremely OCD about this.
First Flying-type male Pokemon I catch is ALWAYS named Wingman.
ALWAYS get extra items that I know about. Trainers are free XP and money.
>>
>>25736331
> Do you just pump your starter or do you try and create a balanced team?
I try to have different types of pokemon, but I ultimately just end up with a team composed of pokes I like. I only go for balance if I'm getting my ass kicked, which is not often at all.

> Do you try and avoid trainers or do you battle everyone along each route?
I must battle everyone and go for the maximum number of team battles I can. Everyone needs to get rekt.

> Do you go out of your way for all the extra items lying around?
Yes, everything belongs to me.

I also consciously try to not be overleved, and I end up switching my team far too often.
I also try to only catch females
>>
File: 11.gif (721 KB, 446x251) Image search: [Google]
11.gif
721 KB, 446x251
>>25736592
>>
Rule 1 - Ditch the Starter as soon as I have 3 other pokemon
Rule 2 - No Legendaries
Rule 3 - Put everything aside to build a quick silly team as soon as the impulse arrives
Rule 4 - Have fun.
>>
1) If I get a 6KO, I soft reset
2) If I faint a wild, I soft reset

This makes EXP into a finite resource, so I can't grind. This makes gen II into by far the hardest in the series.
>>
All of the pokemon on my team must have a 3 line evolution, otherwise I feel they are useless
>>
I tend to get six Pokemon on a team as quickly as possible, with the caveat that I only have a maximum of one Pokemon of each type on my current active team.

I adhor wasting a move slot on HMs. So I have six dedicated Pokemon for battling and 2-3 dedicated HM slaves, which I bring along only if necessary.

Usually try to battle every trainer and catch all wild Pokemon on a route before moving on. But for my latest run of X , I'm avoiding wild encounters if I can. Best time I've had with the series in years.
>>
>Do you just pump your starter or do you try and create a balanced team?
I try to make a balanced team. I only use my starter during the first playthrough, afterward I pick a set of 6 Pokemon I've never used before and use them.
>Do you try and avoid trainers or do you battle everyone along each route?
Usually I try and avoid trainers, unless I'm very underleveled.
>Do you go out of your way for all the extra items lying around?
Depends on my mood, usually I don't go too far out of my way for an item. I'll get to one if I see it on my screen, though.
>>
>>25737238
Have you tried a Nuzlocke or another set of imposed rules, anon? I think I was in your shoes until I did what I described in the third paragraph of >>25738806. Like I said, best time I've had with the single-player game in a long time.
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 587x409) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 587x409
I always try to create a balanced team, both with type coverage and level wise. That being said I usually keep my starter a couple of levels higher than the team average since I've always thought of them as my "lead" Pokemon.
I always battle every trainer and grab every item I come across, as that usually keeps me pacing pretty evenly with the game. Sometimes I'll save some trainers if I know I'm about to get a Pokemon that I need to level up faster than normal (like Game Corner or Egg Pokemon).
I usually don't use more than one Pokemon of the same type unless they have different secondary types, as I feel that leaves my team vulnerable to a certain type.

Pic somewhat related, it's my current Red team.
>>
>>25736331
>Change Battle Mode to "Set" at first opportunity
>Don't actively seek Pokemon with Gym Battles in mind unless absolutely necessary
>Never skip a trainer
>Keep starter 2-3 levels above the rest of the team
>>
>>25736331
I change it up. I notice I've been trying harder and harder methods over the years. Originally I'd just solo the game with my starter, like a lot of kids. Eventually I started doing full teams, and then rotating teams, and now I find it most fun to have full teams and be wildly underleveled (accomplished by avoiding all possible trainer battles and using repels to avoid as much exp in caves/grass as I can).

I just started the Madkip challenge, but I'm worried this might be a little too much.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.