[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you miss the sprites, /vp/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: all_pokemon_sprites__gen_i___v_.png (1 MB, 1576x1450) Image search: [Google]
all_pokemon_sprites__gen_i___v_.png
1 MB, 1576x1450
Do you miss the sprites, /vp/?
>>
>>25717494
No.
>>
No
>>
>>25717494
no.
>>
>>25717494

I haven't missed sprites since Gold and Silver.

They were all really uniform and boring after gen I, and in gen III, they didn't have interesting color pallets to make up for it.

In III and IV, the sprites just did their job of potraying the pokemon, but they weren't really that interesting or varied.
Gen V made the sprites moved, which was novel at first, but when the dust settled, they looked like ass.

The 3D models are fine. They're slightly less boring than sprites because they move, but they don't look like ass while doing it ( unless they're flying type )

Some more interesting idle animations would go a long way though.
>>
>>25717494
No
>>
File: 1440919504207.gif (4 MB, 270x263) Image search: [Google]
1440919504207.gif
4 MB, 270x263
>>25717499
>>25717502
>>25717510
/vp/ is lost. The furries and underage have won. Thanks mods.
>>
>>25717572
No.
>>
>>25717572
no
>>
>>25717572
nO
>>
>>25717494
I think it would be interesting if they had the sprites in the pokedex. But nah I don't really miss them.
>>
Yes and no.

While there is way more that can be done with a model, the sprite style was really great, and in my opinion, due to mimicking the pokemon painted artstyle of (whatever the japanese dude), come off a little bland and pale.

Then there's a ton of problems with the models, like not having good animations on certain pokemon (scizor for example), certain models having bad proportions and not having the cartoony body shape & then other pokemon that are traditionally shinier or smooth (like porygon 2) not having enough of a contrasting shine to the model.

I think if Nintendo keep upgrading and fixing models as they go along, now that they have all the models and rigs done (which I assume is the reason they are on the whole a little on the bland side), they could do all the tweaks much easier & faster. In fact, I kinda expect that to happen, because not doing so would be really lazy, as there is a ton of room for improvement (flying pokemon stance and animations being the obvious one that comes to mind).

I could go on and on, but no one would be interested in that. I guess I'm happy that nintendo made the jump from sprites to models, but it wasn't done to the standard that I would've expected & I hope it will be improved going into the next titles.
>>
>>25717657
>and in my opinion, due to mimicking the pokemon painted artstyle of (whatever the japanese dude), come off a little bland and pale.
the models, that is, my b.
>>
>>25717494
Yes but they reached their peak quality in gen IV (most of the sprites in V are from IV anyway). I'm sure the 3D models will be tweaked and continue to improve in future.
>>
>>25717657
Yeah this is my thought on it too. Did they change anything in OR/AS? I thought I heard they fixed some of the awkward flying animations.
>>
If they fix the shitty hovering bird animations and add some idle animations or something, that'd be great

Otherwise I'm quite fond of them
>>
>>25717494
Yes, considering they butchered most models>>25717494
>>
A little, but not enough to dislike models.
They just need the technology to catch up so they start looking more alive and defined.
>>
I really liked the sprites, it's what got me into spriting and pixel art.

It kind of sucks not having official sprites of the new pokemon to play with.
>>
>>25717494
I liked the early sprites. They were more...hardcore.
>>
>>25717494
not at all
they felt so robotic
>>
No

It was neat when each version had its own sprites but after a while it was obvious they stopped giving a shit

Plus Gen V was really fucking ugly
>>
Very much so. I don't understand why most people think 3D is an inherent upgrade from 2D.
>>
File: Shark-human-teeth.jpg (9 KB, 212x181) Image search: [Google]
Shark-human-teeth.jpg
9 KB, 212x181
>>25717572
>Oh he likes a humanoid pokemon, that must mean its his waifu.
>>
Yes, but 3D models aren't that bad.
>>
>>25718342
It's not...

But moving models is an upgrade from static sprites. If they had animated the sprites properly instead of that butchering we got, it would have been a whole different case.
But sprite scaling and rotation looks like shit.

Since the entire game is now 3D it only makes sense to have the pokemon be 3D models as well.

No... while the sprites were well done, I don't really miss them.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.