[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you want to see in your rival in Sun/Moon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 18
File: 1407851487553.jpg (184 KB, 500x312) Image search: [Google]
1407851487553.jpg
184 KB, 500x312
I want our rival to be Gary Oak again. Not literally but I want to see that asshat who is always ahead of you and is a tough fight. The rivals since gen 3 have been really lackluster and more of an xp farm as opposed to the wall that they once were.
>>
>>25714560
Nah
>>
>>25714555
nah fuck that, Gary is a dick and never a challenge

I prefer the new ones like Barry, Cheren and Serena who act like rivals instead of straight antagonists
>>
>>25714555
A rival that isn't my friend

I'm getting tired of that shit, at the very least give me a rival who's been told to fill a pokedex and just doesn't care much about me.
>>
I really couldn't care less whether the rival is friendly or hostile. If they're fun to battle, that's enough.

Some character development would be nice also, though that could be either a friendly or hostile rival. The last one who did that well was Bianca.
>>
File: image.png (661 KB, 580x700) Image search: [Google]
image.png
661 KB, 580x700
Dick rival or no, I want a rival with actual character development. Silver, Cheren and Bianca did it well, with Silver learning to appreciate his mons and getting a Crobat to signify it, Cheren learning that getting stronger isnt everything and mellowing out into a teacher, and Bianca finding out her purpose in life after being sheltered and protected all her life.
The XY rivals were terrible because they were shallow, one-trait characters with no actual growth. May/Brendan too. If we include N as a rival, I want more like him: being an integral part of the plot and also going through actual change throughout the journey. Having a difficult rival would also be nice but really, they're only difficult because as a kid, it was harder to plan against a trainer with a balanced team. That being said, under no circumstances should your rival only have 3-4 Pokemon.
>>
File: Silver_opening.png (4 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
Silver_opening.png
4 KB, 256x192
>>25714555
I just want a rival that's actually a fucking rival.
>May/Brendan wanted to be friends
>Wally was a nice sort of "role reversal" thing where he was striving to get stronger and beat you instead of the other way around
>I don't remember much about Barry other than him constantly bumping into you, but he was always ahead of you due to his impatient nature, making both of your journeys feel like a race
>Cheren and Bianca were cool I guess because muh symbolism
>Hugh more or less only cared about that fucking Purrloin
>X/Y "rivals" in general
>>
A mean girl
>>
>>25714594
Cheren was fine
>>
>>25714555
I want them to not suck your dick all the time. Either make them an asshole or make them not really a rival (like Silver or N).
>>
>>25714715
>but he was always ahead of you due to his impatient nature, making both of your journeys feel like a race

That's exactly what a rival is
>>
>>25714758
Yeah, I was listing that as a good thing.
>>
They should make the rival into a literal toddler. That way, they might be more challenging than all four of the fags from XY.
>>
>>25714777
Oh sorry, I thought since you listed him, you didn't think he really counted as a rival.
>>
I want a spoiled rich kid rival.
I want said rich kid to never even get close to your level.

Then you fight their dad who is one of the elite four.
>>
>>25714933
smug ojou-sama rival when
>>
Only one of them, no fat faggot or other idiots, only one rival and a rival that is actually a difficult fight.
>>
>>25714933
he should have a Snubbull, and then the rest of his team should be different every time you fight him since he bought new Pokemon after the old ones lost to you
>>
Go for the cliched troubled youth that joins the villain team only to realize the errors of his/her way at the climactic battle.
>>
>>25714682
This. Don't get why actual good characters in an rpg is lost on Gamefreak. The potential is there and often times it falls flat. This is my biggest issue with the main villains too. The story cops out to be another bland "save the world" thing.

Hugh was pretty neat, the fate of Purrloin was something I wasn't expecting, and it gave your rival a reason to travel that isn't you.
>>
>>25714555
Someone like Wally except take it further.

Someone who's an useless kid at first but later in the game tears you a new hole.
>>
One dickbag rival

One friendly but competitive rival who looks up to you as a role model
>>
File: Pokémon.full.1336524.jpg (569 KB, 1000x883) Image search: [Google]
Pokémon.full.1336524.jpg
569 KB, 1000x883
The rival doesn't have to be a dick, but I'd like it if they challenged you frequently, actually had strong teams, and had some type of character development or drive.

The problem with Serena/Calem was that beating them made you feel bad. They get depressed about their losses but never become any better either. I was expecting some jealousy issues but the whole thing just went nowhere.
>>
Nothing, just more higher leveled pokemon, less childish dialogue.
>>
Not some annoying ass hos like the ones from xy. I swear I wanted to punch all of them
>>
>>25715132
I know it would be edgy but they would have been so much more interesting if they were like >>25715001 and joined Team Flare
>>
All I'd like to see is your first Pokémon following you again, and the option to change your appearance. Also, significantly less legendaries per game compared to Gens 4-6.
>>
How about

>Rival is not the opposite gender character just for an excuse to use the model
>First couple battles are easy to mid difficulty - but in awkward locations like just after you get your starter
>After the third battle he disappears for a little while (say two gym's worth)
>When he comes back his team is COMPLETELY different and is very difficult
>Next battle after that his team has changed again, he doesn't even have his starter anymore
>Next battle he has a mega stone - before you even have a mega bracelet
>The champion you face is dependent on something like how many times you win/lose/encounter/something else with your rival; if you do too well he is a super ridiculously difficult champion
>Is available postgame for battles and co-op battle frontier
>>
>>25715199
The rival didn't get enough screen time for that to make any sense. You only fought them like once before you destroyed Team Flare, and by that point it was obvious to everyone Team Flare was literally a dodecahitler joke of a criminal organization.

>>25715249
Gen VI has just 6 legendaries. The only problem there is that half of them are mythical event-only bullshit.
Gens IV and V are the disaster areas with 13 legendaries per region.
>>
>>25715303
That sounds like it would be difficult as fuck to code, (I could be wrong, I know nothing of code, personally) but it would be an interesting concept. It would also apply challenge to the pussies who hack themselves x999 Rare Candies.
>>
Make the first rival encounter a "hopeless boss fight" to establish them as a credible rival.
>>
>>25715322
Difficult to code? Which part? You mean making him the champion? I guess there would be unforeseen difficulties, but I was thinking an "if [victories] > 7, [rival] is champion, else [babbymode] is champion"

I just think Pokemon could do a lot by taking lessons from Dark Souls II's intrinsic difficulty; you can choose to make the game harder by using certain combinations or easier by using another. Another example they could do is give you an HM key item at the point you're meant to use it, but before that make the HM available as a move if you want to skip the longer route (but sacrifice a moveslot to do so). If Pokemon's problem with difficulty is "people won't play it if it's too hard", make it so they can choose how they want to play it. Don't make it a cakewalk for literally everyone.
>>
>>25714555
What I liked about Gary was that you were rarely ever prepared for him. In X/Y your Rival literally offers to heal you.

Also I liked how he was a real dick giving you incentive to WANT to beat him. People like to tell me Silver does this but he really doesn't do it in the same way. Silver was a borderline villain while Gary was never a "bad guy" just a douchebag.

Other things about Gary that were great were things like how he was ALWAYS one step ahead of you. He was was BETTER than you and deep down you knew it.
>>
I want to battle against amiibos opponents that could level up with the fight. For example a Mario character with a pokemon team related to the idea of Mario character, the polemons in their team evolve and upgrade with the level of the amiibo and also get better in te estrategy. In level 50 they got full 6 team with a legendary, a mega pokemon and very competitive ability
>>
>>25715365
>you can choose to make the game harder by using certain combinations or easier by using another
Pokemon is essentially built around that concept, although in a different way.
>>
>>25715411
That's true, but only really in terms of in-battle strategy. There's so much they could do with the overworld.
>>
>>25715411
kek

>>25715365
I see where you're coming from, however I think it should be a selection at the beginning of the file. Something akin to:
>Have you played Pokémon before?
>"Yes"
>Game skips hour long tutorial and only shows you what's new for the generation.
>"No"
>Game gives you full tutorial and dumbs game difficulty down a bit.

Or, something along the lines of:
>New Game
>Difficulty: Easy, Medium, Hard, Ace (as per Ace Trainers)
And the levels of the wild Pokémon, gym trainers/leaders, field trainers, and your Rival would be increased or decreased according to your selection.
>>
Someone like Blue or Cheren is preferable.
Nothing will ever top fighting Blue as the champion. I know most of you are too young to remember it, but him being at the end was actually a huge twist at the time. As was Giovanni being the final gym leader.

>I am the Pokémon League Champion! Red! Do you know what that means? I'll tell you! I am the most powerful trainer in the world!
Still gives me chills.

I know N wasn't an actual 'rival' but he was great nonetheless.

>>25714560
Please, anything but this.
>>
I want my rival to be a fat boy with a tight striped shirt that shows off his belly and a fat butt
>>
>>25715451
>Have you played Pokémon before?
>"Yes"
>Game skips hour long tutorial and only shows you what's new for the generation.
>"No"
>Game gives you full tutorial and dumbs game difficulty down a bit.
Eh, that's beginning to sound too much like a shitty fast-food restaurant to me. I mean at this point I'd appreciate even that, since there is literally 0 difficulty setting in Pokemon. But since we're having a thread about stuff we'd like to see I thought I'd shoot for the stars.
>>
>>25715467
w-why?
>>
>>25715467
Something you want to tell us anon?
>>
>>25715485
What do you mean by a shitty fast-food restaurant?

I probably should understand what you mean but work has my mind all fucked right now.
Fuckin' retail, man...
>>
>>25715515
Well, appropriately enough, be grateful you don't work in a shitty fast food restaurant. It's much worse than retail.

To clarify I worked very briefly at one of those sushi-on-a-revolving-belt chains. Staff are literally required to ask "Have you been here before?" to every single customer because of the ridiculously oblique mechanics of the serving.
>>
A tsundere girl/boy.
>>
>>25715576
Ahh, I get you now. I don't see it as much as a "Here, take what you want since you know it," as much as a "Okay since you've played before, we're not going to baby you. Someone gives you starter, meet any rivals/others right there, (maybe) a dozen Pokéballs, and off you go to Route 1."

As of X/Y, it was "Pick your face, put your clothes on, meet people, walk to a place, meet people, starter, walk back, walk again, meet people, get inane tutorial on how to hit 'Bag > Section > Subsection'"
>>
Okay okay I've got it:

It's established in the first town that your character is crushing on a girl (or boy). (Game should let you choose like, one of three character models, like how you could name Gary).

Your first rival battle is against them; you're hoping to impress them.

Then IMMEDIATELY after, this other guy/girl (your gender) challenges you. Your Pokemon has not been healed.

After this guy bodies you, your crush begins to follow him on his journey. Your quest lies in the desire to be un-cucked by this opportunistic cockhandler.

In the postgame, he becomes an NPC in your house.
Where your mom is.
>>
>>25715661
So basically you want some candy-ass love triangle shit?
Something you're not telling us, Anon?

Anon has hidden feelings for Gary Oak
>>
File: calculated.png (477 KB, 1080x608) Image search: [Google]
calculated.png
477 KB, 1080x608
>>25715457
I want an asshole nerd rival. Someone who furiously studied all things Pokemon until the day he got his starter, and is always rubbing in your face how smarter he is than you. Perhaps you grew up together with a very bitter, little sweet relationship, and people in your hometown wonder whether or not you're truly friends, because he's just a giant dick to you, always insulting your intelligence.

Yeah. That'd be great.
>>
>>25715689
They're not hidden, Anon.
>>
File: mPJkn.jpg (158 KB, 580x689) Image search: [Google]
mPJkn.jpg
158 KB, 580x689
>>25715693
I could be mistaken but one of the unofficial games has that kind of a rival. I think it's Adventure. Shit's horribly translated, and it pokes fun at it being badly translated since the creator is Spanish, but it's decently made.

>>25715710
You can't ignore his girth
>>
File: image.png (351 KB, 806x806) Image search: [Google]
image.png
351 KB, 806x806
>>25715693
>Asshole nerd rival
My type
>>
I cant really say that i want thee next rival to be like X cause the most important trait for a rival is uniqueness, we have had so many if you counting the psuedo-rivals, my favorites have been Wally, Hugh and N without a doubt cause they all brought something new to the table.
>>
>>25715736
I did like that Serena seemed to either admire or have a thing for you. I never played through as her though, so I can't tell if it was like that for Calem or not.
>>
>>25715693
This guy was a fucking Smogonfag.
Right down to the nerdy no life autistic personality
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (116 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
116 KB, 1280x720
>>25715693
>>25715728
Either of you played Xenoblade X? H.B. would make a great Pokemon rival
>>
>>25715781
Also with that crush on Dawn
>>
>>25714555
Dickhead self-entitled twins that come from opulence and and wealth. They even go so far as to fund the 'evil team of the week' in their plan for whatever the fuck evil shit they do. Game ends with the a surprise betrayal by one of them, who joins you in a double battle to beat one of the hardest double battles ever.
>>
>>25715781
YOU WILL NOT INSULT CONWAY IN MY PRESENCE YOU DUMPSTER DWELLING SCUMBAG

>>25715789
Naw, but I want to! Seems like a pretty cool game. That's the one with the guy who's really feeling it, right?
>>
>Female
>Born in a different region (kanto for genwunners) but was too young to become a trainer then.
> Horribly impatient to you, her pokemon and everyone else.
> is always slightly ahead of you.
If you win the first three battles against her, she abandons her starter or a similarly typed Pokemon. Semi frequently (5 times) up until around the 6th gym where you don't see here until after the you beat the elite 4 and YOU have to defend your role as champion.

There's also a secondary rival, her calmer brother. You meet him shortly after you beat the main rival. He's impressed how quickly you guys caught up and asks if you want to battle. All his battles are optional. Post game he takes over the role as official champion due to you age, desire to travel and his prior experience and strength. As champion he uses a mix of Pokemon from Kanto and This region, with his ace being the Kanto starter strongest against your starter.
>>
Ill take anything that's off the level of X and Y. 4 rivals was a fucking mistake. Proper character development was drowned out by cringe dialogue and "friendship!". Give me a rival that's worth my time, and a reason to keep battling him/her.

Or Yui. She works too
>>
>>25715978
>Silver with a twist
Have you ever played GSC/HGSS?
>>
File: 1457704671536.png (143 KB, 672x434) Image search: [Google]
1457704671536.png
143 KB, 672x434
>>25715832
>>25715978
holy shit, these are really cool ideas, anons
fund that shit
>>
>>25714734
>I want them to not suck your dick all the time.
Just his desu. No Shauna and "Wow you caught 1 pokemon, that's more than me!"

Have an actual human being.
>>
>>25715978
I like the idea of having to defend your role as champion against your rival. Like maybe the region just completed building and establishing the elite four and you're the first one to complete it. Instead of some master trainer it's just some kid.

That could also play into the story. In addition to Gym leaders, have something like "elite trainers". Trainers you meet along the way who are also getting badges and trying to be the first champion of the region. That way instead of just one rival, you have 4 or 5 "mini rivals". Who have motivations to battle and get better.

Depending on who you lose and win against, it'll change who challenges you at the end.
>>
>>25715832
>Twins regret their choices and see the light in a true trainer as yourself

GF please this
>>
>>25716046
Bit more than silver with a twist but i do see the similarities, if anything she it'd be more fair to call her female Paul with a twist. Tbf though it's been a while since I played GSC and I forgot about the fact that there's no redemption for silver in that Gen.
>>
>>25716110
I want a rival thats your next door neighbor and he's a grown man. Early in the game he tries to get you to enter his house by giving you a pokemon but then the professor steps in and gives you a pokemon. Later on you battle him just as he is talking to another kid in different towns and stuff. You find out he's a pedo trying to molest 10 year olds on their poke'journeys.
>>
>>25716205
The pokemon he should offer you should always be worm or snake related.
>>
>>25715959
Shulk was from the first game, but yeah. I totally recommend it.
>>
>>25714555
Barry was a good rival. Cheren and Bianca were mediocre but at least as good as the Gen 3 one. I can't believe you compiled a list of good rivals and in addition to 1 and 2 seriously wrote 3.
>>
>>25715832
So like the two brothers from XD?
>>
I want to be able to name my rival and to choose their gender.
>>
>>25715832
Fuck that would be so sick. Double Mega evolution battles near the end of the game while you fight them individually in the early part of the game all of you as rivals. One of them could even break bad and join the evil team and you can have a double battle with one of the twins vs the other twin and the boss of the evil team. Then of course they redeem themselves at the end by learning an important bullshit life lesson but there's a lot of character development there.
>>
File: John-Cena-Shock-to-Smile.gif (1006 KB, 260x187) Image search: [Google]
John-Cena-Shock-to-Smile.gif
1006 KB, 260x187
>>25715832
>>25716062
>>25716528
You receive the legendary mascot from your game, and the twin rival siding with you gets the other, destroying the opposing team in a double battle. The twin joining your side/evil team's side is dependent on which version your playing
>>
>>25714555
>What do you want to see in your rival in Sun/Moon

Don'ts:
>heal before fight
>give you the option not to fight e.g. "I'll wait here, come back when you're ready"
>le super quirky xD shit like Barry or Gen VI cancer
>"teehee I hope I lose this battle s-so we can still be friends anon teehee"
Christ almighty.

Dos:
>strong
>is an asshole so you're motivated to beat them
That's literally it. Every rival after GSC is cancer.
>>
>>25716755
so basically gary? I bought pokemon red from the E shop and played this version for the first time in 18 years.

Gary's been the only rival to ambush me so frequently and with pokemon always higher leveled than mine in the middle of places where your pokemon are slighty beat from battling npcs.

More than once I've hoped that he'd heal my mons before the battle because of hp or status effect issues, but he just goes straight to wanting to kick your ass with no remorse or mercy.
>>
File: 1458153806140.png (292 KB, 800x718) Image search: [Google]
1458153806140.png
292 KB, 800x718
>>25716755
>Every rival after GSC is cancer.
Well, seeing as how you are horribly ignorant and only think that a rival needs to be an asshole, you'll more than likely be disappointed by default.

Poor Anon. Not understanding that a rival doesn't have to be an asshole, and is simply a character that you would want to defeat.

>>25716887
>gary
Anon, really?
>>
>>25717106
Blue, Green, whatever. The guy's the grandson of Prof. Oak so let's just call him Oak
>>
>>25714988
>rest of his team should be different every time you fight him since he bought new Pokemon after the old ones lost to you

So sort of like Paul from the anime but shit?

GF needs to stop pushing friendly rivals, and just give someone like N, Green/Blue/Gary whatever, or Silver. Someone that is on par or superior in terms of mons/levels, and ambushes you at awful locations without a chance to heal nor come back and fight him.
>>
>Sun/Moon rival joins evil team
>challenges you one final time as you storm the evil team's base
>stomp them
>"Oh geez this really was a bad idea, huh?"
>they just wanted to be cool
>>
>>25714555
I want a rival where I dread encountering them because they as just as good if not outright better than me. I don't want a group of friends who give me handouts all game, I want a true competitive rival that keeps me on my toes.
>>
>>25714555
The rival doesn't have to be a douchebag, Barry and Cheren were both great and they were pretty genial. They just have to make the rival actually somewhat of a challenge like Barry was rather than a complete pushover like Calem/Serena. Also, I'd like for the rival to be more central to the plot like Blue, Silver, and N (if you count him) were.
>>
Would be nice if they had a full team or at least 5 pokes. I'm replaying xy and I forgot how they only have 3 pokemon when you fight for the 3rd or 4th time and then go hurr durr how are you so much better than me
>>
I just want a rival who seems like an actual threat. Who is an E4 tier opponent, Gary is a good example and so is Barry
>>
File: Idea guy.jpg (22 KB, 425x292) Image search: [Google]
Idea guy.jpg
22 KB, 425x292
Rival is a werepokemon who challenges you to pokemon battles in the daylight but is the pokemon battle in moonlight.
>>
>>25714599
>a rival who's been told to fill a pokedex
Wasn't that basically May?
>>
>>25717211
I don't know, the leveling and ambushes can be perfectly done without it not implying a thing about the character. The game's already casualized to no end, so why not give us an actual character for a rival?
>>
File: 1374534091048.jpg (101 KB, 500x1000) Image search: [Google]
1374534091048.jpg
101 KB, 500x1000
>>25714555
I want them to be fuckable.
>>
>>25718658
>is the pokemon battle in moonlight

Sick.
>>
File: 1456078532064.jpg (105 KB, 859x960) Image search: [Google]
1456078532064.jpg
105 KB, 859x960
>>25718658
Kek'd
>>
>>25718658
sign me the fuck up for this
>>
File: 1445704089671.png (116 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1445704089671.png
116 KB, 300x300
>>25716423 >We will never see Cipher make a comeback with Ardos as the leader
>We will never get a sequel to XD
Don't remind me, anon.
>>
>>25714555
I just want a proud and bitchy qt3.14 to humiliate with my superior skills
>>
>>25714594
>Cheren and Serena
>act like rivals
Do you wanna know how I know you're underage?
>>
File: 1458815490349.png (128 KB, 289x252) Image search: [Google]
1458815490349.png
128 KB, 289x252
>>25715789
This guy man
>>
>>25715789
didn't play it, what was he like?
>>
File: 1453230574169.png (73 KB, 385x395) Image search: [Google]
1453230574169.png
73 KB, 385x395
>>25718658
>catch your rival at night
>bully them in amie in the morning
>>
I would love to have the rival be basically unaware that he is our rival.

He just runs around chasing pokemon/sales/whatever and when he runs into us he challenges us to a friendly battle while he is around. This combined with some actually difficulty from a full and diverse team would be a fun change.

I don't know why but I have always loved the bumbling idiot that is unaware of how competent they actually are.
>>
File: 497Serperior.png (653 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
497Serperior.png
653 KB, 1280x1280
>>25715789
>>
>>25716887
>Gary's been the only rival to ambush me so frequently
It happens, like, once.
You can't take seriously people that say this or call him Gary.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.