[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are we finally going to see the end of the ''generic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 300px-Fly_OW.png (61 KB, 300x180) Image search: [Google]
300px-Fly_OW.png
61 KB, 300x180
Are we finally going to see the end of the ''generic placeholder blob'' Pokemon used for HMs? It's always so awkward to use your imagination in a video game.
>>
>thinking Game Freak will ever stop being lazy as shit
>>
>>25697193
Imagine trying to implement that. The amount of models needed would be staggering
>>
>>25697193
I doubt it, gamefreak is lazy as fuck
>>
>>25697223
>>25697248
Have you ever made a game?
>>
>>25697193
I thought they were going to gradually remove generic placeholders for Surfing since in Gen 6 they had Lapras, Sharpedo, Kyogre etc. (Was disappointed we didn't get a Unique Wailord Surfing model)

Then you use Lapras surfing in ORAS and see that they used a generic blob for it. No matter how high I set my expectations for GF's laziness they always manage to surprise me somehow.
>>
>>25697239
They could at least create different blobs. The placeholder blob doesn't work for non bird Pokémon.
>>
>>25697193
>It's always so awkward to use your imagination in a video game.
How?
>>
>>25697239
>The amount of models needed would be staggering
There are already high res models in the games. We're 3D now, these aren't sprites, they can just use the same fucking model. They'd have to animate them all, but as brief as this animation is, that's probably a week of one guy working on it 9-5.

That said. I'd rather that guy spend that week working on making the in-battle animations less rigid and boring. I'd much prefer lively battles over a tiny touch like this. Priorities.
>>
>>25697273

Because we have books for that.

There's no reason why Game Freak can't make a low poly overworld model for every Pokemon in Gen 7, or at least for the mons that can learn surf and fly, which probably isn't even half.
>>
>>25697193
Honestly they'd be better off just dropping the whole animation altogether. In XY it was so overly long and drawn out, I just want to go from point A to point B quickly, I don't want to see the same forced cinematic every time. Previous gens did it better aesthetically too, the bird shadow moved past so quick you didn't get to see it in all the details in which Gen 6 shows off its featureless blob to you.
>>
>>25697273
Media is only conducive to you using your imagination for things that aren't shown. There's a reason why when movie/TV adaptations of books come out, suddenly the art for a character or whatever becomes a lot less diverse. It's why we might imagine personalities for our in-game Pokemon but we probably won't imagine our Pokemon as different Pokemon because at that point the graphics might as well not exist.

The generic bird shadow is meant for you to imagine your Pokemon in place of it, but obviously there's tons and tons of Pokemon which aren't shaped or sized like that at all. Honestly it would be better if they did something like in the Gen 3 games till before now where the blob was just an effect that swooped super fast across the screen.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.