[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /vp/ have a problem with GO only having the first 151
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10
File: Clara kill yourself.gif (344 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
Clara kill yourself.gif
344 KB, 500x377
Why does /vp/ have a problem with GO only having the first 151 pokemon? Is it because of genwunner pandering?
>>
It's because most areas will only have like 5 or 6 mons because of it. All the unique mons will be locked to certain towns and areas. Plus it all but guarantees there holding newer mons back for drip feed "content updates" which is just shitty and ensures just like ingress there will be no new content, just new mons.
>>
>>25696700

Because it would be really boring. There are hundreds of great Pokemon, and it would be a shame if we were restricted to only a small portion of them.

My guess is it'll be Gen I only at launch, with new generations added every few months, as a way to keep players engaged after the initial launch period. That would be an okay way to handle it.
>>
Because it makes us afraid that casual gamers will praise them for that, that GO will be a success and that the TPC suits will from then on and forever make all their business decision with their tastes and capturing their volatile attention in mind, instead of caring about those who have stuck with the series for 20 years.
>>
/vp/ is filled with unovabortions. It's okay when Black/White locks away all the Pokemon from other regions but when another game does it it's unforgivable. It's highly likely that they'll add the later gens in updates. Since it is a free-to-play mobile game, they need to slow down the release of content to make sure that people still play it long after its release.
>>
>>25696784

>It's okay when Black/White locks away all the Pokemon from other regions but when another game does it it's unforgivable.

that's the worst comparison i've ever seen
>>
Wait, is it confirmed that it'll only have the first 151?
Insta-fucking-dropped.
>>
>>25696700
do you know why Genwunner pandering is bad, anon?

because it's Gamefreak trying again and again, to appeal to the 'fans' of the series who are least interested in the games, Genwunners are literally the 'Posers' of the Pokemon Fanbase.

why then, does it seem like every year, more and more content is being created for these posers who, in turn, hardly give it more than a passing glance, or at worst, don't buy it, pretend they did because they know the pokemon in gen one and can fake it, easy.

they're either trying to fit in, or they're bitter children in the bodies of adults who never grew up.

do you want anything, /anything/ to be represented by it's worst fans?

Genwunners are the 'Nerd Culture' of Pokemon, they're basically the Blackface of pokemon fans.

but you know, whatever, let's just reward their bullshit, right?
>>
>>25696700
Let me preface this by saying that I'm not really that ticked off, and I'm still downloading it day 1, but my 6 favorite Pokemon are from Gens 3 and 4, so I'm kind of bummed that I won't be able to start going for my dream team right off the bat. They'll probably add later gen pokes with updates, but yeah, the fact that my 6 favorite Pokemon aren't going to be available for quite a while is kind of a bummer.
>>
>>25696749
Source required.

There's more then 5 Pokemon between Veridian (sp?) and pewter.

Do you not have worms where you live?
Do you not have rabbits?
Mice?
Birds?
Dogs?
And that's implying there won't be starters everywhere and just about any water Pokemon near water.

I am just speculating but so is everyone else
>>
>>25696700
I don't want to play with the same 150 Pokemon I've been playing with for the last 20 years and only those Pokemon.
>>
>>25696784
>It's okay when Black/White locks away all the Pokemon from other regions

That was a completely different situation. You could still use them, they just weren't found natively for most of the game. You could transfer them in, catch them in post-game, or get them in the Dream World.

The situation being discussed here is only having Gen I Pokemon available at all. I don't think that's what'll happen, but if it were, that would be far more restrictive than what BW did.
>>
>>25696829
Why do autists feel they are intitled to be pander to over normies?

If the game takes off YOU WILL GET YOUR BROS

If you stop being so salty and even FEIGN interest in it by downloading it there will be a better chance of them making the game better through patches
>>
File: 280.jpg (73 KB, 700x875) Image search: [Google]
280.jpg
73 KB, 700x875
lol u faggots r just mad that they got rid of all ur shitty new pokemon

i havent played a pokemon game since red but i know your shitty new games r crap lol ill take chairzard over some stupid trashbag anyday XD i remember catching a chairzard for the furst time - hes my OG no. 1, you get me??

pokemon GO is perfect for me because i only got a smartphone and a pS4
>>
>>25696899

Come on, man, at least put some effort into your bait.
>>
>>25696700
Because it feels unfair for everything from that gen to be put on a pedestal. I like plenty of later pokemon more than Fearow and Persian.

I'm sure they'll eventually add everyone though, so I haven't been complaining.
>>
>>25696899
This is bait of a quality so low that it doesn't even deserve the bait fish.
>>
File: Zubats and Geodudes.jpg (251 KB, 587x630) Image search: [Google]
Zubats and Geodudes.jpg
251 KB, 587x630
>>25696784
The reason it worked for Black and White is because it meant every Pokémon you'd encounter was a new Pokémon. When you entered a cave you weren't going to encounter nothing but Zubats and Geodudes.
>>
>>25696916
>>25696926

But anons, I think we all fondly remember our first time catching a wild Chairzard.
>>
File: bait.png (600 KB, 1372x767) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
600 KB, 1372x767
>>25696899
>>
>>25696700

Tentacle pussy Clara
>>
>>25696916
>>25696926
If it's so obviously toungue in cheek, most people refer to it as a "joke" and not as bait.
>>
>>25696944
I realize that it isn't what you meant, but I actually do think that it's kind of cool that starters won't be just one of a kind pokes. I'm in Florida though, so I'm probably limited to Squirtle. Life sucks.

>>25696981
Fair point.
>>
>>25696829

You're speaking the truth, friend. I've been playing the games since I was seven. And now I'm 23. It's been quite a ride and I'm sure there are many others on this board. We've stuck with this franchise and these days they're just pissing right into our eyes by pandering to a bunch of cancerous ultra-casuals who might have watched the anime back in the day. "Hurr there be only 151". I don't even care that much about GO but they really should add the other gens later on. Assuming these news are true anyway.

Yes, I'm bitter. Genwunner pandering really got out of hand in XY and things are looking grim in the future too. SM are the crossroads. One road is innovative and evolving and the other one leads to stuff GF did 20 fucking years ago. It's their choice but Masuda manning the helm is just not good. The guy is a total joke.
>>
>>25696829
>Game Freak
Niantic are making the game, Game Freak probably have very little involvement aside from over-seeing the game.

>>25696829
>appeal to the 'fans' of the series who are least interested in the games
The genwunners far outnumber the more recent fans when it comes to the mobile market.

>why then, does it seem like every year, more and more content is being created for these posers
You imply that other fans are completely neglected. There are plenty of references to the other games in gen 6. Then Game Freak have specifically streamlined the breeding mechanics for the fans that use it. I'm fairly certain that genwunners haven't even heard of IV breeding.

>they're either trying to fit in, or they're bitter children in the bodies of adults who never grew up.
Pokemon is a kid's game, any Pokemon fan can't really go around calling other people children.

>do you want anything, /anything/ to be represented by it's worst fans?
The fanbase is already filled with furries. Genwunners certainly aren't the worst.

>Genwunners are the 'Nerd Culture' of Pokemon
You honestly rarely see them outside of some idiots sharing Pokemon image macros that say "like if ur a 90s kid". And social media is filled with idiots, it's not like genwunners are the only intolerable Pokemon fans there.

It's more than likely that they'll add newer Pokemon in later updates, we already saw Lucario in the reveal trailer. The way that mobile games work is that they release a base game and slowly release updates that contain new content so that people continue to play it long after its release. It's different from the structure of other games and while you may not particularly like it, that's just how it is.

tl;dr: Stop being a whiny faggot. You're even more annoying than genwunners. If you're still going to be a bitch with a victim complex then simply don't play the game until they include the Pokemon you want.
>>
>>25696872
>Why do devoted fans feel they are entitled to be pander to over people who were into the pokemon fad as a kid and don't have any interest in purchasing newer installments because nostalgia is hip?
ftfy
the spelling mistake as well, what're you, 14?
>>
>>25696933
Instead you only encountered Woobats and Roggenrolas.

There wasn't really a point of gen 5 having all new Pokemon if they were mostly going to fill the same role that previous Pokemon filled.
>>
>>25696845
Go play ingress. That's my source. It's literally the same fucking game with a skin for pokemon. You're lucky to have 10 pods in an area in ingress, unless yours in nyc or LA or some densely populated place like that.
>>
>>25696872
If I'm buying a product, hell yeah I expect to be pandered to harder than people who won't ever buy a single game.
>>
>>25697029
"Devoted fans" are getting pandered to though, it's called Sun/Moon.
>>
>>25696700
>being okay with laziness and less content
>>
File: king of karp.gif (991 KB, 500x309) Image search: [Google]
king of karp.gif
991 KB, 500x309
>>25696829
>>25696995
Jesus Christ I forgot how pathetic some of you people around here can get. It's like Pokemon is the only thing worthwhile in your lives.

Nobody who matters gives a shit about your ridiculous caricature of what a "genwunner" is based off a handful of idiots you may or may not have met in real life. The gen 1 monsters are still very recognizable to "casual" fans and I'm doubtful they don't bring plenty of money to the franchise by purchasing merchandise outside the core games. You aren't entitled to them pandering to you all the time because you're a more "hardcore" fan. Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>25697084

I don't expect pandering, I expect good main series games. XY and ORAS were just so mediocre and dull. Although the whole jumping to 3D thing was one of the main reasons behind it. If SM continues on this same road, it's inexcusable.

GO isn't even the problem here, it's the general course where things have been heading. GF doesn't even make GO, but I'm pretty sure they okayed it. But it's a F2P mobile game. It won't be anything special and they wanna bring in the sweet sweet microtransaction money, so I understand pandering to casuals in this case. But not the damn main series, just no. And that was pretty much the point of my whole rant.

And we're all pathetic. We're adults discussing a children's video game on an imageboard. However, I might have gone a bit too far with my ranting. I see the error in my ways. I'm just really worried about the series I've played and loved for a long time.
>>
Because there's more than 151 Pokemon.
>>
>>25696700
Everyone is familiar with Kanto Pokemon. They've been around us for the past fucking 20 years. Let's see something else for once. Intentionally limiting your content and creativity doesn't sound like a very good plan when it comes to a video game or anything, really.
>>
File: grovaylmao.png (71 KB, 242x241) Image search: [Google]
grovaylmao.png
71 KB, 242x241
It was already confirmed that GO would have all gens though, right?

In other news: http://www.siliconera.com/2016/03/24/pokmon-go-will-allow-trainers-level-join-teams/
>Catching as many of the same kind of Pokémon is encouraged, as you evolve them by collecting multiples of the same character. (As an example, catching multiple Bulbasaur will make one of them evolve into Ivysaur.)
We're going to need five Weedles for a Kakuna, and three Kakunas for a Beedrill. If it's just going to be about storming through the world and taking everything you can for some kind of loose feudalism, this game is essentially gonna be about real-world Pokemon Barbarians.

This doesn't sound like traditional Pokemon, but it oddly sounds entertaining as fuck. Like a giant-ass perpetual ARG.
>>
>>25696825
They're tired of battling so jumping to conclusions is the newest shit
>>
>>25696700
damn, its only gen 1?
Excitement is pretty low now
>>
>>25696829
>blackface is negative
Your choice
>>
There is only four gen 1 pokemon in my top 20 (Sandshrew, Persian, Starmie, and Ninetails). This blows. The majority of my favorites, including the ones I love far more than the rest, are all locked out. This gives very little for me to be excited about.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 432x366) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 432x366
So one of the big things they talked about with this game is that players would have to travel all over the world in order to catch 'em all without trading. But we're only going to have the original 151 spread around the entire word? How will they be distributed? Obviously, only the first-stage Pokemon will be catchable, so that rules out all the evolutions. The fossils probably won't be catchable either. The five legendaries will probably be special event Pokemon as well. They said geographical landmarks would determine what Pokemon you can catch as well, but unless you live near a mountain or body of water, you'd have to trade. Keep in mind that the only way to evolve Pokemon that we know of is by catching multiples of the first stage. No idea how three-stage evolution lines will work.

Basically, most of us are going to be stuck catching the same one or two Pokemon over and over again every day until we can evolve it. If you can only obtain a certain Pokemon by trading, you'll be SOL when it comes to evolving it. Pray that your city/country isn't limited to shitmon like Spearow or Goldeen.
>>
>>25697050
Woobat is a psychic type, unlike Zubat. And Roggenrola is a sold rock type, unlike Geodude.
>>
>>25697486
It's basically a copy/paste of Ingress, except Pokemon somehow come into play when it comes to defending your territories AKA "gyms" (which almost certainly won't be monotype based on the information given).
>>
>>25697244
Your thinking XY and ORAS being mediocre has nothing to do with whatever problem you have with "genwunners". It barely applies to ORAS and the while the references to gen 1 in XY were blatant, very few of them actually affected the overall game. The worst of it was probably the copypasta'd Viridian Forest. Things like being given a gen 1 starter and the forced Pidgey encounter didn't affect the overall game at all.

I get the passion involved with a franchise you really like, the problem here is that rants like yours work off faulty premises. You and a bunch of other people on /vp/ have circlejerked a really long time over this strawmanned "genwunner" fan based off some retarded images off Facebook and memecenter or whatever, along with cherry picked personal experiences. Even if these type of people existed in large numbers, you are making another leap in logic when you assume that gen 1 references are always meant to be pandering to these folk, then making yet another leap in logic in assuming these people never buy Pokemon merchandise.

It's not the fact that you enjoy a kid's franchise that's a problem. It's this ridiculous notion (which exists in pretty much every fanbase, not just Pokemon) that you're the "real" fan and your desires for the franchise are the most valid. That complaint becomes more ridiculous when you consider what franchise we're talking about here.

tl;dr just say XY and ORAS are shit and be done with it.
>>
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 894x894
Because the majority of my favorites hail from gens 4 and 5
>>
>>25697852
Different guy here

You seem to think that people who have remained loyal to a series throughout the years have the same say in matters that a casual who played the most popular games does. And from the marketing standpoint, yes. But it's also an excuse for GF to be lazy and to pander more to the casuals.

That's unrelated to the Gen 1 dicussion, it's just a general observation I've made. On the actual discussion, it's no mistake GF face two megas to two very popular gen 1 pokemon, you get kanto starters, and the other rather heavy references to gen 1 in x/y. GF clearly does seem to give the more recognisable pokemon, a lot of which are notably gen 1, a lot more special treatment. It obviously causes resentment, and GF naturally doesn't have to care, but when people see genwunners acting like morons throughout the community and their favorite mons getting a boost, it causes anger. Most genXers are idiots, but the ones who get a lot of what they want tend to be the most hated. It's not a matter of "real fans vs fake fans", it's "this dude gets what he wants vs me", obviously a petty attitude but nothing that should be worth getting worked up over like you seem to be now.

In conclusion, all of you seem to be part of some cycle - there's the genwunners, the guys who hates genwunners, the guys that hates the guys that hate the genwunners, so on. Its pointless, none of you are less pathetic than one another.

>>25699259
Except people like this, who clearly act like buffoons for whatever purpose
>>
File: com-mons.jpg (32 KB, 339x269) Image search: [Google]
com-mons.jpg
32 KB, 339x269
>>25697050
Same role yes but that's a good thing, it meant that the same role could be filled without encountering the same thing as every other game.
>>
it's a vicious cycle you morons, the more gen one based content that gets released, the more 'recognizeable' that content becomes, maybe we're fucking bitter because it seems like Gamefreak isn't giving content from any other gens a chance aside from fucking Lucario.

they're just creating more genwunners with every decision they make like this.
>>
File: I wanna fuck that x.jpg (55 KB, 542x616) Image search: [Google]
I wanna fuck that x.jpg
55 KB, 542x616
>>25701095
>>
>>25701592
Faggot.
>>
the first 151 pokemons ruined pokemon
>>
>>25702040
:^(
>>
>>25696700
Having 151 species of Pokémon only, is such a waste to a game about collecting.

I need more than 151 species of Pokémon.
>>
>>25702350
Nah. It just take the fun out of collecting pokémon.
>>
>>25697244
GF execs played Ingress, got hooked, and sought out Niantic because they wanted to do something with the tech. Iwata got on board because Nintendo was heading toward entering the mobile market.

I think GF actually wanted exactly what this is.
>>
>>25696700
Between this and the VGC releases i starting to think "whatevertheacronymyousay" will be a RBGY2.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.