[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how the fuck did he get three starters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 11
File: trainer red sprite.png (8 KB, 360x582) Image search: [Google]
trainer red sprite.png
8 KB, 360x582
how the fuck did he get three starters?
>>
>>25679088
He played Yellow.
>>
>>25679088
Bulbasaur: Received from a girl in Cerulean City if Pikachu's friendship is high enough

Charmander: Received from a Trainer on Route 24

Squirtle: Received from Officer Jenny in Vermilion City after receiving the Thunder Badge
>>
>>25679103
Came here to say this, and a "duh!" after that.
>>
What I want to know more about is where are starters found in the wild?
They're pretty strong so I can't believe they can be so rare
>>
>>25679088
Red capture Venusaur in the Grassland and capture Blastoise in Water's-edge.
>>
>>25679163
Considering that they're 75% male and children always look like the mother unless Ditto is involved, it actually makes sense that they'd be rare.
>>
>>25679163
I always joke that char family dies when it rains, the saur family aren't that smart and accidently eat there own families vegetation, the turtle family is hunted by poachers for soup.
>>
Yellow is canon.
Cry hard anti "Ashnime bogeyman" faggots.
>>
>>25679163
I always imagined that starters were always Pokémon native to really far-away regions. It would be really neat to see some starters for other gens show up as just wild pokémon in a new game.
>>
>>25679395
This.

Yellow is the only game where you can obtain Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Eevee, and Snorlax in one playthrough. Even though they're only given once and not found in the wild. Except Snorlax, which is found a whopping 2 times. Surprised he didn't have Lapras as well.
>>
>>25679395
>bogeyman

Not saying Yellow isnt canon, but you're retarded.

Also, the reason he has three starters is to represent every course of action any player could take in Gen 1, including Pikachu in yellow, not to make a statement about canonicity, since then they gave less of a shit than they do now and that's saying something.

They probably even regretted doing it given they havent done that ever since, particularly in B2W2 which was pretty much set up for a Hilbert and Hilda return and didnt end up being implemented.
>>
>>25679494
Lapras was in HGSS tho
>>
>>25679088
Yellow is GSC Red's canon original game
>>
>>25679088
Link cable?
>>
>>25679774
No. Red capture them in the wild.
>>
>>25679088
Yellow is the implied canon game, like how Crystal is Gen 2 and Emerald is Gen 3, etc. Also because Red's goal is to become Champion, he did that, so his only other goal is to fill out the Pokedex, which is likely what he's done. Filled out Kanto's side, released what he felt like he could, traveled to Johto, did their gyms and then went on to the last place in Johto, Mt. Silver.
>>
>>25679528
>regretted doing it
>BW2 have literal tournaments with all of the Champions, Gym Leaders, etc.
>>
>>25679395
>>25679539
>>
File: Multiverse_.png (22 KB, 742x176) Image search: [Google]
Multiverse_.png
22 KB, 742x176
>>25679802
http://i.4cdn.org/vp/1458711172633.jpg
>>
>>25679456
This would be pretty cool. Reminds me of how Riolu isn't native to Sinnoh but is to Unova and Kalos.
>>
>>25679875
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_habitat
>>
>>25679395
>only thing from yellow is the starters and nothing else not even blue's team
Yellow isn't canon, Red traded for them.
>>
He's supposed to be the representation of the player. So they gave him Pokemon that are mandatory to encounter/optional gifts.

Gold would have like the 3 starters, Eevee, Togepi, Shuckle/Spearow/Tyrogue/Dratini

Brendan/May would have the 3 starters, Castform, Beldum, Wynaut

Etc.
>>
>>25680203
>Gold
Also Brendan and May already have canon teams.
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 291x204) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 291x204
>>25679365
>accidently eat there own families vegetation
Ayyy lmao
>>
File: 1458329150504.gif (84 KB, 500x276) Image search: [Google]
1458329150504.gif
84 KB, 500x276
>>25679336
>Only thinking in game mechanics.
>>
>>25680213
>if you want to call Gold by his shit name then go ahead

Brendan/May have those teams as rivals, not as main characters. If they were made in the same vein as Red's was then their teams would be what I said.
>>
>>25680203
Give Gold/Ethan Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Umbreon (to parallel Red's Espeon from GSC), Togetic/Togekiss, and Hitmontop.

Lucas could have Torterra, Infernape, Empoleon, Togekiss, Glaceon, and Lucario/Porygon Z.

Hilbert can have Serperior, Emboar, Samurott, Zoroark, Carracosta/Archeops/Volcarona, and Reshiram/Zekrom.

And finally Calem can have Chesnaught, Delphox, Greninja, Tyrantrum, Aurorus, and Mega Lucario.
>>
>>25680333
>Fossil Pokemons
Considering Red doesn't have a Gen 1 fossilmon it's not guaranteed.
>>
>>25680246
>>if you want to call Gold by his shit name then go ahead
>implying his name was ever Gold outside of the manga

It's like not knowing a close acquaintance's name but you still call them Billy when their name is Jay.
>>
>>25680333
>gold
>no red gyarados
>no sudowoodo

are you even trying?
>>
>>25679088
HAX
>>
>>25679088
Beat up kids and took them
>>
>>25679858
>>25679868

Multiverses are for people who are man enough to actually do something interesting and significant with them. Not "easy explanations for the minute differences between game versions"

Pokemon has a multiverse as far as manga, games, and anime are concerened, but the multiverse between Red/Blue and Yellow is a crock of shit.
>>
gen II Red was a representative of Yellow, while gen II Blue was a representative of RB

it's simple as that
>>
>>25681259
>gen II Blue
Wait what I don't remember him in gen II
>>
>>25681266

he was the viridian gym leader m8
>>
>>25681216
Delta Episode directly implies the existence of a multiverse, though it seems to only be between originals and their remakes at this point.
>>
>>25681216
Multiverse has been around since BW. An NPC in Opelucid talks about how weird it would be if there was a parallel universe Unova with differences in history, and even beyond that the Entralink explicitly says when you travel to another person's game to meet up with them you are crossing into their world and change your appearance accordingly. And since you can travel from White to White or Black to Black it's likely to assume that each game constitutes an alternate parallel universe based on the actions of the player.
>>
>>25680219
What part of joke didn't you get non of the three have it well.
>>
Red also went through the cycling road and possibly skipped route 12 since the snorlax is still there in GSC
>>
I'm going to go on record as saying that I don't think the starters are limited to being given out by the professor, nor are they limited to the scenario in Yellow. The starters are only limited in game because they're supposed to be unique. The starters have to be available by some other means.
>>
>>25681330
Which is why each person has the capability to capture their own Legendary Pokémon.

Those twelve Dialga you have don't prove shit, they're all from their own dimensions.
>>
>>25682168
They are available in other ways, you have that girl near tohjo falls with a bulba, ivy and venosaur
>>
>>25682168
if you want to hold any value to the anime they actually explain some stuff about starters in there
>>
>>25679103
/thread
>>
>>25679395
So Jessie and James are ingame canon now?
>>
>>25679456
>always imagined that starters were always Pokémon native to really far-away regions
That's what i used to think too, but now we have 18 families of starters, none of which are found wild in any of 6 regions, and are used primarily in only one region each, even if some are used additionally in other regions a few times

It kind'a makes more sense that they actually do heir from the region they're given away in, at least more than having found no region yet
Especially when you consider how well the Sinnoh and Kalos starters work with eachother

I think they're breed and artificially selected in captivity
Though, maybe they heir to another region with a completely different poke, but have been breed to become what we know now
>>
File: native to region.png (182 KB, 1136x1000) Image search: [Google]
native to region.png
182 KB, 1136x1000
>>25679875
Here's something i once made
Might need some update since then
>>
File: mainchar.png (173 KB, 1382x774) Image search: [Google]
mainchar.png
173 KB, 1382x774
>>25680333
>>25680203
I also made this some time ago
>>
>>25679088

In the manga he took Venusaur originally and borrowed Blastiose/Charizard from Green/Blue to train.

Gamewise I guess Yellow is probably canon for him, otherwise he traded.

>>25679163
I figure they are popular to the point of human caused extinction in the wild or are exclusively bred in labs.
>>
>>25684374
Eevee is native to Kalos
>>
>>25684469
The Trophy Garden doesn't count IMO
They're just pokes the owner had imported there
There are several pokes there that are not found anywhere else in the wild either
>>
>>25684385
the Hoenn starter was Swampert
>>
>>25684548
Based on what?
If you're gonna say the anime or the manga, then you don't get it
>>
>>25684519
Kalos, not Sinnoh.
>>
>>25687209
Oh, fuck, sorry
As i said, probably needs to be updated, i made it before even BW2 was out
>>
>>25684385
The starters they use should be based on the starter you choose
>>
he kicked Blue's ass and took his starter
oak gave him the other one for kicking Blue's ass every monday because he hates his grandson
>>
>>25682256

>dimensions
Dimensions aren't infinite. Scientists suggests that only 9 exist.

You're thinking of universes
>>
>>25687698
>9
It's somewhere between 11 and 14 and that's only accounting for low-energy interactions
>>
>>25679163
The Friend Safari in X and Y
:^)
>>
>>25687481
Sure, why not?
But it's not like this is actually gonna be in a game, so i just tried to suggestions to balance the types
>>
File: 1400530437778.png (123 KB, 447x405) Image search: [Google]
1400530437778.png
123 KB, 447x405
>>25684587
>manga doesn't count
>typical hair denialist
>>
>>25679395
pikachu a shit, that is all
>>
File: don't cross the streams.png (110 KB, 1054x986) Image search: [Google]
don't cross the streams.png
110 KB, 1054x986
>>25688818
I'm not gonna say that the manga doesn't "count"
I'm just saying that the manga, the anime, and the games are three different interpretations of the same world, but because they are different, what happened in one of them is not relevant to the others
so saying he got a swampert in the manga, is not much of a justification, for saying why he should have one in the games
>>
>>25681330

Yeah but that's a very boring and shitty "whatever" version of what a multiverse actually is.
>>
File: Jessie_&_James.png (22 KB, 398x288) Image search: [Google]
Jessie_&_James.png
22 KB, 398x288
>>25682719
Why not?
They're not the same as their anime counterparts, Meowth doesn't talk, and they're slightly more competent. It would give Gen 1 it's equivalent of a Team Rocket executive, instead of nothing but Grunts and Giovanni.

Every game character has an anime counterpart that's a little different, what's the harm in making some of the anime characters game counterparts? If I recall, they already implied something about that Mega Evolution special protag showing up in the games.
>>
>>25688937
>so saying he got a swampert in the manga, is not much of a justification, for saying why he should have one in the games
When they do things like this it's called a "reference"
>>
>>25689030
I know what a reference is, but i'm saying there's no reason to think they'd make that ref, other than the vague idea that Red in Gen2/4 was that sort of ref
>>
>>25689249
>vague idea
there's that word again
>>
>>25689309
oh for fuck's sake! how does that invalidate anything?
let me repeat part of the comment
>there's no reason to think they'd make that ref

There really isn't. you could say that Red's team is based on the one from the manga, but there's nothing to prove that, or to disprove Yellow being the origin of it.
The guy in the Manga even nicknamed his pokes!

I can agree that the team may have been designed to be slightly ambiguous about being based on game or manga, but it seems more probable to be based on the games, seeing as you're actually playing a game
>>
>>25689425
>The guy in the Manga even nicknamed his pokes!
The only pokemon you see which have nicknames in the games are either out-of-battle NPCs or contest opponents, or are received in trades. You never battle one so that really isn't a point
>>
>>25689478
None the less
there's more reason to believe Red on Mount Silver is supposed to be Red from Gen1 than Red from the Manga
Cause the GSC games are heavily tied to the GRBY games
Cause otherwise it'd be the only manga character/event that was directly referenced in the games
CAuse Blue actually names his rival (previous MC) as Red

Now show me what you have to back up that it's manga Red, instead of just picking on a single one of my points
>>
>>25689624
>argue with me
How many people have you spoken to today?
>>
>>25679103

In yellow the canon names were ash and gary. He traded with his friends, ding dong
>>
>>25689663
So you're intentionally being a cunt?
>>
>>25679528
>They probably even regretted doing it given they havent done that ever since, particularly in B2W2 which was pretty much set up for a Hilbert and Hilda return and didnt end up being implemented
>BW2 had the memory link feature
>Had the chance to utilize Pokémon from your previous game to make a team to fight against, could have even used the name you gave your previous character
>Even have unused scripts for when battling Hilbert or Hilda
>They just didn't bother
I'm still upset
>>
>>25679528
Ok, i can see Red as having them all to represent all possible actions
but is there anything other than guesswork to say that's the reason, and not Yellow being the canon version?

Not trying to be a contrarian, just wondering if there is more evidence
>>
>>25679813
>BW2 have literal tournaments with all of the Champions, Gym Leaders, etc.
When did you play as Bugsy or Cinthia anon?
>>
>>25679858
>is wrong
>uses timeline and multiverse as if they meant the same thing
>>
File: timelines.png (66 KB, 1223x684) Image search: [Google]
timelines.png
66 KB, 1223x684
>>25679858
>>25695354
There's not much to go by to plot out the timeline of the pokeverse, though
so even the best guess can be wrong
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.