[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did Platinum do that this game didn't? What did HGSS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: 1436154147354.jpg (159 KB, 1357x588) Image search: [Google]
1436154147354.jpg
159 KB, 1357x588
What did Platinum do that this game didn't?
What did HGSS do that this game didn't?
I'm always confused when I hear people hating on BW1 or saying one should skip it and go straight to BW2. This isn't about opinions, or about genwars. I'm curious as to what this game does wrong in your eyes that made you enjoy Platinum and HGSS.

Keep it civil. We all want the leaks to be real so no one here are enemies.
>>
Its newer. Also I can't find Pikachu in Unova at all.
>>
>>25669330
>newer
artificial reason
>can't find pikachu
You can find Emolga
>>
BW and BW2 are objectively the definitive Pokemon experiences.
>>
>>25669325
HGSS has patches of grass that actually connected each tile of grass so it didn't look cheap as shit like a bunch of bushes on the ground that aren't even touching
& auto run button
oh and no shitty poorly animated moving sprites
>>
>>25669330
Most people say skip to BW2 because it has more postgame content for you to do, but honestly, BW is almost just as great. Though, if I'm going to be honest, I felt that BW2 being a continuation was pointless as BW's plot was wrapped up by the end and they did nothing to add to it. I think them making a Grey version would have been a better choice.
>>
>>25669345
>oh and no shitty poorly animated moving sprites
What is this meme? I always see people parrot it. I though they looked fine.
>>
>>25669345
>& auto run button
cheats exist
>>
>>25669373

The sprites in BW/BW2 are easily the best. I don't understand what people expected out of pixel rotation. They're not vectors, you fucking retards.
>>
Unova had a shitty region, it was pretty much just a circle and everything felt unnatural. There was ko sense of adventure because you pretty much followed a linear path.

Pokemon choice was more restricted. What's the point of having over 600 Pokemon if you can only use about a quarter of them? Platinum and HGSS both had Pokedex with about 200 Pokemon if I remember correctly (which was about half of them at the time).

Handholding was even worse than the previous generation. Everything gets given to you because you're the chosen one.

The games probably looked worse than the previous generation. They tried to go for a psuedo-3D effect and a dynamic camera but it just ended up looking awkward with pixelated sprites. Also I noticed a fair few frame drops when I was playing it.

Black 2 and White 2 at least remedied some of these problems.
>>
File: 1458024814595.jpg (121 KB, 523x493) Image search: [Google]
1458024814595.jpg
121 KB, 523x493
>>25669378
>>
>>25669325
>What did Platinum do that this game didn't?
>What did HGSS do that this game didn't?

Having a great region and no ice cream pokemon
>>
>>25669381
>There was ko sense of adventure because you pretty much followed a linear path.
Okay, everyone has their own opinion fair but I thought they weren't linear enough.
Linear is better because otherwise you'd be fighting trainers with fluctuating levels all the time. Which is a bad experience.
>>
>>25669378
It still looks awful, regardless of whether they made the best use of the technology that they could have. It's not exactly like the animations were good either. People shit on the gen 6 animations but these were a lot worse.
>>
>>25669394
The problem isn't necessarily that the game progression is linear, Hoenn and Platinum had a pretty strict path that the player must follow. The problem is the region layout. It's literally just one town connected to the next via a route. There's no sense of "where will I go next?" or "now I have this HM, I can go down this route".
>>
I like HGSS because it's cute and comfy.
>>
>>25669496
I could say the same thing about you, anon!
>>
>>25669325

Battle sprits that look horrible pixelated and the graphics are not as crisp as Gen IV's.

Also the region is bland and monotone to linear.
>>
>>25669325
As someone who really really liked black and white, (Unova was my favorite region flavor-wise)

my one complaint about it is that they fucked up the levelling system hard in an attempt to balance it.

it got to the point where I wasn't fighting anything that wasn't audino, shit wasn't worth it.
>>
>>25669546
>>25669373
>>25669378

Having recently replayed Black to pick up a few dex entries for Y, the sprite movement made me nausous. too many jagged lines - every time something moves, it ends up creating a diagonal and really fucking up facial/body features since there's no subpixel hinting. It doesn't help that they seem to be animated by distorting the pixels with some sort of marionette system instead of per-pixel animation like SNES or GBA games. Deliberate art choice probably made to speed up their workflow, but IMO they suffer for it.
>>
>>25669373
I think they tried to hard to make the game look more advanced than their predecessors, the ds just wasn't ready for it.
>>
~Welcome to Opinions and Genwars: The Thread~
>>
>>25669554
Grinding in Black and White? On Audino? that doesn't work beyond level 10-20 or so. You're faster of using exp share in the e4.
>>
>>25669412
>"now I have this HM, I can go down this route".
What are you talking about. Gen 5 was filled with this.
>>
>>25669381
>unova is a circle
every fucking region is a circle
>>
>>25669840
They think that excessive backtracking makes the region non linear.
>>
I like Platinum because of its music, bug elite four, Cynthia and Cyrus.

I love HGSS because I grow up with GSC.

I love BW BW2 because of music, story, new adventure without old dudes(BW) and postgames(BW2)
>>
>>25669325
Wow you are buttbothered about people's opinions though.
>>
>>25669325
Less boring
>>
>>25669390

ebin
>>
>>25669381
>Pokemon choice was more restricted. What's the point of having over 600 Pokemon if you can only use about a quarter of them?
>implying only new pokes until postgame was a bad choice
>>
>>25669608
i'm glad i'm not the only one. in addition to what you said about the sprite animation there's so much zooming in and movement just in the battle menus and shit that it gave me motion sickness
>>
>>25669325
Platinum/HGSS:
>Have regions/progression that aren't a literal straight line like BW
>Have older-feeling regions rather than BW's heavily modern Unova
>Have a much less intrusive/overbearing story than BW
>Have wider Pokemon selection, particularly in the first half of the game

Meanwhile, BW2 gets credit over BW1 because it's better in almost every aspect except story.

Don't get me wrong, I like BW just fine. But the heavy story focus combined with Unova's linear layout really kills the joy of exploration for me.
>>
>>25669964
?
>>
>>25670207
she's right tho
sinnoh had the best winter routes and introduced glaceon / froslass / mamoswine / abomasnow / weavile as ice types while unova had a mere ice cream, a literal special snowflake, the ugliest bear family and a cucked and overnerfed legendary instead (even if i do like kyurem its competitive side were completely fucked up)
>>
>>25669839
It didn't. You literally only go forwards in Unova. Compare it to regions like Kanto, Hoenn and Sinnoh. Once you get Surf, you're able to take a new path in an area that you've previously visited (Pallet Town -> Cinnabar, Mauville -> Fortree, Jubilife -> Canalave).

>>25669846
It's not excessive when you either have Fly at that point in the game or when there's a really quick shortcut that is now available. Now we're stuck with shitty regions because idiots get lost in a kids' game if they're not handholded every second.
>>
>>25669325
they forced people to use new pokemon instead of relying on pokemon from previous generations like the other games
>>
>>25672740
So instead of just moving forward you want to first fly backwards then go a different path for no real reason?
>>
>>25669325
Be innovative.
>>
>>25669687
>~Welcome to Opinions and Genwars: The Thread~
Nth version: Why do we do this to ourseves: Mental sado-masochist ultra tango boogaloo supreme
>>
>>25669390
>Always gotta hate on the poor icicle with snow on it that likely inspired the idea of ice cream in the Pokemon world.
Being the Vanillite line is suffering.
>>
>>25669840
Johto is a shitty region imo, but it's not a circle. It's a child's drawing of an animal
>>
File: 1438108695310.jpg (522 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1438108695310.jpg
522 KB, 1920x1080
>>25669390
>>25672674
>shitting on pokemon designs
A reminder to get a load of this and be grateful for what you have
>>
>>25669359
I enjoyed seeing how the characters progressed and things changed in the world
>>
>>25669390
i wish the ice cream poke were in sinnoh. it had a fitting snow town
>>
i don't give a fuck
i like all those games
Faggots just need something to fag about
>>
>>25669359
How was BW's plot wrapped up? N had to go do some soul-searching and you put all the sages behind bars except for the big bad. Ghetsis escaped with no show of remorse. While Cheren and Bianca had some defining moments of growth, we didn't see the results of these critical moments, which B2W2 showed. There was still much to be resolved.
>>
>>25670336
I like you, you made very good points.
>>
>>25672904
Stop this

Yokai Watch existing doesn't make shitty designs in Pokemon more justifiable, and I'm one of the people who doesn't mind ice cream existing
>>
>>25674026
I think it's the face on Vanillish that does it.
I haven't seen anyone complaining about Avalugg and that is a literal iceberg
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.