[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just realised how poor the gen V sprite animations were.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: fauuurking zyzz brah.gif (125 KB, 500x160) Image search: [Google]
fauuurking zyzz brah.gif
125 KB, 500x160
They honestly look really budget and low quality.
Pic related
>>
>>25668215
>forking sneeze bro
>>
Do you realize those animations aren't directly from the game? You probably got that image from Tumblr or something like that.
>>
>>25668215

I thought they were such a big deal at the time, but now I'm thinking it would have been better to just stick with motionless sprites. Or at least sprites that just moved when attacking, like Dragon Quest III on SNES.
>>
I feel like the only fucking person here who liked them.

Also this gif does not match the in game quality at all.
>>
You just realized this shit now?
>>
>>25668244
This 100%
>>
>>25668215
These are only showing about half of the animation, you idiot.
>>
>>25668244
>>25668253
>>25668284
objectively incorrect
>>
>>25668244
i'm with you
>>
They're objectively a thousand times better than Gen 6's 't-pose' animations.
>>
>>25668215
>/vp/ finally learns what vector animations are
wew lad
>>
>>25668215
>doesn't show their secondary animation
>>
>>25669234
You misspelled correct there friend.
>>
File: chimchar[1].gif (21 KB, 54x70) Image search: [Google]
chimchar[1].gif
21 KB, 54x70
>>25668215
Gen 6 is vastly superior
>>
>>25669234
>hurr durr my opinion is objective fact
When will this meme end?!
>>
>>25668215
Actually I liked them -- especially on 'mons with flames like your example.
>>
File: jynx.gif (53 KB, 63x60) Image search: [Google]
jynx.gif
53 KB, 63x60
>>25668215

I liked how lively they were, especially in retrospect after moving to largely stiff 3D models (hopefully they'll work on the idle animations/poses for SuMo).
>>
>>25668215
Personally, I really like them, but I still think the 3d models are better. But still:

the animations from BW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the dead sprites on the other DS games
>>
It was good at the time. But they reused most Gen 4 sprites.
>>
>>25668215
Fact is that in BW the Gen 5 mons had more polished animations than the older mons, because they're the ones that you see most part of the game, most of the old mons had very simple animations without these "special variations" that occurs during the normal animation.

They probably rushed most of the old ones with a few exceptions.
>>
>>25672392
why do I want to punch chimchar in the face?
>>
I love them, fuck you OP
>>
>>25668244
>>25668253
>>25669343
Brothers.
>>
I must be one of the very few guys that wouldn't mind to go back to genV sprites (as long as they fixed the zooming issue). Say what you want but that was by far when the pokemon felt most alive.
I'll only start to like the 3D when GF fixes the incorrect proportions 2/3 of the pokemon have.
And considering how lazy they have become, I think I have plenty of time to wait. They'll probably reuse the models for another 2 generations.
>>
>>25672639
>'ll only start to like the 3D when GF fixes the incorrect proportions 2/3 of the pokemon have.

Most of them are fine, only ones I can think off the top of my head that suffer from it is haxorus and sandslash

also, plenty of the sprites suffered from it
>>
>>25672639
>fixes the incorrect proportions 2/3 of the pokemon have.
No, only a few handful has incorrect proportions, most of them are pretty on spot. If there's something that they should improve is the poses, though.
Even in the way it's now, I prefer 3D models by a long shot, anyway.
>>
>>25672682
>>25672706
We see different things then because for me most of them have problems with the head-body proportions (Butterfree) or have their body swollen in a subtle way (like Blastoise).
The problem is that they're very very subtle errors so most people don't notice something is wrong with them.

HGSS got the perfect colors and BW2 got the right proportions for most of the pokemon, with some minor exceptions like Druddigon (which was fixed in its 3D model).
>>
>>25672639
that is just straight up wrong
aside from some dumb flying models, 3D models have done more justice to more pokemon than any other sprite has. Seeing every angle and how each body flows is really amazing, instead of 2D pixel garbage.
>>
File: Spr_4h_114.png (894 B, 80x80) Image search: [Google]
Spr_4h_114.png
894 B, 80x80
>>25672724
>9 or so models that I heard /vp/ complaining about
>You said 2/3 of them
I didn't said that models with incorrect proportions doesn't exist, I just said that they're a extreme minority.
Also, like the other anon said many sprites did something similar too, HGSS Tangela looks like a unkown pre-evolution of the line.
>>
>>25669515
That's not what t-pose is, you retard. T-pose is when a character has their arms spread out and their legs joined, to form a T shape. It's the basis for most 3D models because it makes it easier to animate it.
>>
>>25672739
>>25672760
Because those "9 or so" models are usually victims of bigger errors that people notice easily, but I'm talking about subtle detail-level incorrections that make more than half of the models look bloated or slightly swollen, which along the lazy animations makes them less fluid and more heavy/lifeless.

Don't get me wrong, 3D was a step in the right direction, once you have the model the rest (like future attack animations) become easier compared to sprites where you have to redo everything for each little thing. And the amie wouldn't be a thing without the 3D.
But with GF is always half step forward and two steps back.

Also, yes, many sprites did something similar, like HGSS Tangela, but again at BW2 almost all of them had the proportions on point with some exceptions.
>>
File: Arceus.jpg (269 KB, 614x778) Image search: [Google]
Arceus.jpg
269 KB, 614x778
>>25672994
The 3DS resolution really doesn't helps the visual of the models, some models can look kinda strange at distance, but when near you can see that the level of detail is very precise.

I also don't think that the models looks even near to "bloated or slightly swollen", however I already said in a earlier post that yes, GF could upgrade the idle animations for more movement and/or dynamic poses (if possible), so I'm not disagreeing with you there.
>>
>>25673228
I admit that 2/3 is an exaggeration on my part, but I still think many of the models need a rework simply because, when you compare them with the official art, there's something off.
For example, Blastoise, which I already mentioned: I've never seen anybody complain about its model and I find that strange since it only takes comparing it to its official art and I can easily feel it's not the same. However the gen4-5 sprites for it are more faithful, they feel more natural.

My reasons may be different but in the end I want the same as everybody: a better 3D.
If only the guys behind Colosseum were in charge of the models.

By the way I think Arceus is very well done.
>>
they were sexy
>>
>>25672431
>jiggle physics
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.