[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best order to play the Pokemon games? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5
What is the best order to play the Pokemon games?

I've been meaning to replay the series and the upcoming release of gen 7 is the perfect opportunity. However, I don't know where to start. What order would you suggest?

I'm thinking
>black
>black 2
>red
>silver
>emerald
>omega ruby
>diamond
>x
>>
>>25666318

Release order.
>>
>Blaze Black + Volt White
>Blaze Black + Volt White 2
>done
>>
File: order to play pokemon games in.png (1 MB, 1520x502) Image search: [Google]
order to play pokemon games in.png
1 MB, 1520x502
>>
Third versions from each of the first 4 gens ->BW1->BW2->XY
>>
>>25666479
>no fifth gen
OP, reject this. Play fifth gen last to cap it off perfectly.
>>
FR/LG > Emerald > Platinum > HG/SS > B2W2 > X/Y is my order
>>
>>25666638
>Playing the worst games last
>Playing the worst games at all
Why?
>>
>>25666682
b2w2 weren't very bad
>>
>>25666677
This guy gets it.
>>
>>25666682
He said Gen 5, not Gen 3
>>
>>25666318
kanto is all you need
>>
>>25666677

>playing a sequel and not the first half of the story

Nigger what? BW2 are not third versions.
>>
>>25667078
The story is so bad that you'll spend 90% of the game just mashing A trough it, so it really doesn't matter. Might as well play the less shitty game.
>>
>>25667094

Your shit taste is showing.
>>
>>25667109
Anyone who actually enjoys the story of B/W is either retarded or autistic, and it takes a special brand of autism to stick out on /vp/.
>>
>>25666318
Everything Gen 3 onwards in release order, third versions only (which means play FRLG first before Emerald but Platinum before HGSS).
>>
>>25667195
*third versions + remakes only.
>>
Do it in release order.

Honestly that's the only way it makes sense.
>>
>>25666479
You need to include 5th gen to transfer old pokemon into X and Y.
>>
File: 1456811357814.png (72 KB, 195x196) Image search: [Google]
1456811357814.png
72 KB, 195x196
>>25666682
V is best, anon.
>>
File: top lel.jpg (20 KB, 297x275) Image search: [Google]
top lel.jpg
20 KB, 297x275
>>25667094
this
>mfw /vp/ actually believes pokemon games ever had a good story
>>
>>25666318
>>25666677
>>
red/blue
yellow
gold/silver
crystal
ruby/sapphire
emerald
fire red/leaf green
diamond/pearl
platinum
heart gold/soul silver
black/white
black2/white2
X/Y
omega ruby/alpha sapphire
>>
>>25666677
So long as you've already played BW at some point in the past this is it
>>
>>25666318
Fire Red - Omega Ruby - HeartGold - Platinum - White - Y

You're welcome.
>>
>>25670433
>OR over Emerald
>jumping forward three Gens then back two
>>
I don't think I can ever play another pre-Gen 3 game again. The physical/special split made the games 1000x better, I don't know how people lived without it, myself included.

I don't care what anyone thinks of ORAS (which ARE good games), if the game doesn't have a phy/spec split, it's unbearable.
>>
>>25670644
Gameplay post-split is better than pre-split, I agree, but I don't consider it that large a deal if you aren't using a 'mon crippled without the split like Flareon or Absol. In some cases the lack of split benefitted Pokémon, like being able to use Shadow Ball Zangoose.

But even if you can't live without it, every single game from Gen 1 to Gen 3 has had the split modded in at some point.
>>
>>25670902
Flareon still has 95 base special attack. It's perfectly usable pre-split.
It's not like you're battling competitively in Gen III.
>>
If you haven't played any of them, go in order because each generation introduces new features and mechanics, which gives you more respect for the older games as you see the progress of the series.
>>
>>25671793
This. Flareon was a wicked mixed a racket in third gen.
>flamethrower
>shadow ball
>quick attack
>dig

Pretty good for an ingame team.
>>
>>25666318

Fire Red Omega>Eccentric Emerald>(Perfect) Platinum Enhanced>Sacred Gold/Storm Silver>Blaze Black/Volt White (2)>EternalX/Wilting Y

in that order. then after that you could go and play Red ++ or Crystal Kaizo if you're feeling gutzy.
>>
>>25671878
This
>>
File: 1456435580362.gif (891 KB, 450x254) Image search: [Google]
1456435580362.gif
891 KB, 450x254
>>25666479
Insert Black/White then Black2/White2 in between Platinum and X/Y. Then I will agree with you.
>>
>1. Red/Blue
Yellow is Chuck full of dumb anime references and is way too easy due to all starters being available. Avoid the remakes as well because they're far worse for a first time run through and have abysmal endgame.

>2. Heart Gold/Soul Silver
Simply better versions of crystal that don't sacrifice anything. GSC is also great, but go for the remakes if possible

>3. Emerald
Ruby and Saphire are limited, and the remakes are colossal disappointments

>4. Platinum
Amps up and improves Diamond/Pearl

>5a. Black/White
There's really no other option here, just pick a color.

>5b. (optional) Black2/White2
Not necessary, but if you're interested in how the story pans out and enjoyed the BW region enough, give it a go.

>6. X/Y
Sadly, Z isn't happening it seems.

>7. Sun/Moon
>>
>>25666318
playing it in any order other than release order and you're just asking to be labeled a superficial faggot

what could you possibly experience by playing them in a different order? there is no cohesiveness. no sense of progress.

you're judging things based purely on subjective preference. there's no point asking anyone.

the only absolute pure truth is playing them in release order. that is the optimal experience.
>>
>>25672001
>Crystal Kaizo

More like Pokémon Pyrite. Kaizo is fun the way other kaizo games are fun but it's pretty different from everything else on that list.
>>
>>25672075
>they're far worse for a first time run through

I've still never heard anyone give proper complaints against FRLG besides "...?" which is an obvious flaw and optional shit like the Teachy TV.
>>
>>25672075
/thread
>>
>>25672138
>I've still never heard anyone give proper complaints against FRLG
Music
Islands endgame
Easier

As a standalone adventure, the originals just work much better.
Still love the remakes though.
>>
>>25666318
Platinum first cause you'll never tolerate the slowness if you started with a faster one.
Then RSE
Then BW/BW2
Then FRLG
Then XY
Then HGSS best for last
>>
>>25672075
This so much.

Never listen to anyone that advises FR/LG for first time playthrough.
Likewise, never listen to anyone that DOESN'T advise HG/SS for first time play through.
>>
>>25666318
>tfw know a guy who nuzlocked every single game

I'd probably ask someone who played every single game in recent times.
>>
>>25672189

But this isn't OP's first time so FRLG>>>>>>RB
>>
>>25672189
>the game with a tutorial key item is bad for new players
>the sequel of said game is better for new players
>>
>>25670053
jesus christ
red/blue, yellow, fire red/leaf green
they're literally the same game
just play the newest ones
same with gold/silver, crystal, heartgold/soulsilver and ruby/sapphire, emerald, OR/AS
>>
Black/White
BW2
XY
HGSS
ORAS
Yellow
Platinum
>>
>>25666330
>autistic rom hacks
No thanks
>>
>all these idiots recommending OP to play outdated crap

OP, just choose whatever looks fun to you. Most of the people here don't know what the perspective of someone getting into the series late is like so they give you bullshit orders like not playing remakes just because it didn't have a post game and they were disappointed (when most likely you won't even be playing much post game other than catching legendaries) or not playing gen 5 because it tried new things.

My advice? I started with BW2 and it reignited my love for pokemon. I essentially went backward and forward a lot, playing in a sporatic order. The only advice I can give you if you really plan on playing everything is:

>Gen 5 is the only gen where you should play the both first and last versions (b/w and bw2)
>play bw exclusively for the story, rush through it if you can, that way you can take your time exploring bw2
>Don't use exp share and amie in gen 6 (with your main pokemon) unless you want to be over leveled
>try to catch legendaries in their specific gens, mainly because they get shoehorned into later gens (especially oras) and its boring catching the same thing twice.
>>
>>25672627
>play bw exclusively for the story
>Play B/W exclusively for the worst part of any game in the series
It's like you want him to hate Pokemon.
>>
>>25672627
But Emerald actually has things that affect the main game that aren't in ORAS, like the areas that were cut, the Game Corner, and the Safari Game.

I'm fine with OP playing ORAS but he should play Emerald first, it's the better experience in the main game and the postgame.
>>
>>25673380
I say you should play OR/AS before Emerald so you don't go in with expectations of what a Hoenn remake "should" be like.
>>
>>25666479
Someone doesn't like water and trumpets.
>>
>>25672168
Platinum first, or atleast second.

I've tried going back to platinum many times and always just give up at how slow it is.
>>
>>25672565
>literally no changes to the story whatsoever
>improved difficulty curve
>629 national dex
>trainers have more pokemon
>gym leaders are harder
>trainers are harder
>only adds improvements
you're missing out, anon
>>
>>25674065

Also, some Pokes are retyped or have new abilities and stats. Honestly, I prefer BBVW to the originals.
>>
>>25674077
>some Pokes are retyped or have new abilities and stats
Gross.
>>
>>25674091

So you're saying Water/Fighting Samurott and Fire/Ground Emboar are gross?

Shit taste.
>>
>>25674091
bb and vw are the most played DS rom hacks, faggot. they're really fucking good, and basically everyone here agrees they're well done, so stop being a newfag and trying to be edgy. were you not here for all the generals back when it was released?
>>
>>25674138
Yes, because it's fanfiction bullshit.
If I'm looking up romhacks, and I see BST changes, typing changes, or ability changes, I know instantly that it's a bad romhack.
>>
>>25672802
Who the fuck cares if story is the worst aspect of pokemon? BW is the only fucking game in the series that even tried to have a story. It wasn't the best story ever but it wasn't complete shit like all the other games in the series. It actually went against the conventions we expect to be in a pokemon game's story and that's what makes it worth trying.

And I only say to play BW exclusively for the story so OP doesn't explore the inferior Unova and get burnt out from it enough so that they'll not want to explore the better Unova in BW2. If OP decides to play BW2 before BW, chances are they'll play through BW's story anyway out of pure interest from the things they learned in BW2.
>>
>>25674213
No, it was even worse than the others because it tried so hard.
The characters are constantly there and will never leave you alone, you're hardly ever given a break before N or Cheren or Bianca or whoever the fuck comes up and starts talking at you for ten minutes.
Not to mention the fact that the game tries to have "deep" and "meaningful" themes, then drops them for a big bad evil guy plot.
The game wastes your time by rubbing its cock in your face for hours, then makes it all pointless.

I get that /vp/ is full of hopeless contrarians, but you're going way too far by saying Gen V is anything but garbage.
>>
>>25666479
>Hoenn
>even the remakes
>ever
disgusting
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.