[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know people have talked before how they want a Pokemon MMO,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: EM1jr.png (144 KB, 768x640) Image search: [Google]
EM1jr.png
144 KB, 768x640
I know people have talked before how they want a Pokemon MMO, but I have to ask, would it be good for the series?

Look at what happened to Warcraft after WoW
>Warcraft 4 never ever since WoW is making more than enough money
>Lore retcons out the ass
>Hollywood movie which is likely going to be shit

What could a MMO possibly add anyway? We already have online battles. Mostly I can think of is item trading and possibly interacting with other trainers on the overworld.

Maybe they could do something like forming guilds or teams, but I don't see what good that would do outside of socialization ingame.

There could be item trading I suppose, but then again that's something they should add ingame.
>>
>Pokemon is a kids game
>Pokemon mmo
>it's basically club penguin
Why would someone want this?
>>
>>25665856
By that I mean add item trading to the main series though
>>
Agreed. It probably wouldn't live up to everyone's crazy expectations *cough* Pokken *cough*, and fans would be upset.
>>
File: z6fe8g8.jpg (216 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
z6fe8g8.jpg
216 KB, 1920x1080
>>25665856
MMOs are garbage
I would want a main game on Wii with Pokkén's graphisms though

But it'll never happen because "muh handheld console"
It's really frustrating that a franchise that have the potential to beat TES, Xenoblade, FF, and every other open world RPGs combined will never go that way because of marketing...
>>
Pokemon Go is the MMO
it fills the kids fantasies of "omg it can be like pokeyman was real" and we can go find them in certain places in real life and battle each other.
>>
People loved star wars and clamored for an MMO. The Old Republic was shit for a long time. The new content is almost entirely single player.

The same would happen for Pokemon. It wouldn't work as an MMO. Same goes for an All Regions Game.

Something like Kanto/Johto is fine every few gens but a true MMO or All Region would add nothing since we already have the PSS, etc.

If anything, Pokemon Go is an MMO. There are even raid boss pokemon like we saw in the trailer with mewtwo.
>>
>>25666016
>main game on Wii
no.

and that's never gonna happen, they've already said it
>>
If it was an MMO would everyone be walking around with 600 pokemon in the bank and a bunch of legendaries?

If so I don't want that.
>>
>>25666104
A no-handeld main game would be amazing though
When I see Pokkén's graphic, I could totally imagine an open world main game like that

>and that's never gonna happen, they've already said it
I know, gotta keep these shitty handhelds alive
>>
MMOs are shit and a dying genre anyway. Let's not tarnish an otherwise decent series with one.
>>
File: 1422481220155.png (163 KB, 511x428) Image search: [Google]
1422481220155.png
163 KB, 511x428
>>25666196
>dying genre
>>
>>25665856
PSS and customization made it close enough to a MMO for my liking
>>
Not a MMO, but I'd like a more definitive edition, where they can add more regions and pokémon over time.

Just thinking it through it probably wouldn't work but I always wanted a game where you can travel between regions. Best thing Gold and Silver brought to the table.
>>
What about a pokemon TCG mmo?
>>
>>25667305
It already exists though, why do you want more?
>>
>>25667329
oh.
I knew that poketcg exist as a vidya game, i just didn't know it became an mmo.
>>
>>25665856
It would be obnoxious anyway.
I'd like a Pokemon game you can co-op with friends, drop into each others open worlds like GTA.
>>
>>25666288
the only successful MMO is WoW and maybe destiny.
>>
I don't know about an MMO but I'd like to see more advanced RPG systems in the Pokemon games.

Character creation would be a must as would a class system, nothing too complicated of course. Perhaps you'd branch from a base trainer to Ace Trainer, Breeder and Coordinator with minor differences in story and special boosts to your Pokemon's stats based on your class.

Also I'd include "companion" characters like in D/P/Pl that had out of battle bonuses. Some would battle others wouldn't and the double battle could be toggled off so you wouldn't have to deal with an AI partner if you didn't want to.

Just some thought that had been floating in my head for a bit.
>>
>>25669776
this would be neat.
GF should do something new in any case. yes it would risk the series evolving in unfortunate ways like final fantasy did, but its not like X2 or lightning killed the series
>>
File: pokemon mmo leaked.jpg (375 KB, 800x480) Image search: [Google]
pokemon mmo leaked.jpg
375 KB, 800x480
>>
>>25669934
thats why you turn chat bubbles off and have a box for them
>>
>>25666016
>>25666104
I don't need the main game to be on console but I want another Colosseum game, whether it has Shadow Pokémon or not, just get the team that made those two games and have them do another.
>>
>>25669934
>implying a pokemon mmo's chat filter would allow the word "sex"
>implying the chat filter would be any less intense than the current filter for pokemon nicknames.
>>
While an MMO would be dumb, having your friend over on your game would be rad as shit. Kind of like that weird Gen 5 dream bibble thing but you have full control and ca play as yourself instrad of some NPC.
>>
>>25669749
>Destiny
No
>>
I don't get why so many people have this impression that a theoretical Pokemon MMO would use the incredibly cramped maps of the main series. 5 seconds of thought would tell you that's obviously not what people would want out of it.

Not that I'm saying a Pokemon MMO would be good. But not because it doesn't work in concept, but because so far, GF has clearly shown they aren't capable of making such a game. MMOs are expensive as shit to make and are ridiculously large-scale projects. Almost any given MMO dwarfs every main series Pokemon game combined, at least in terms of quantity.

An ideal Pokemon MMO would have large, expansive areas (you know, like every MMO has), somewhat believable ecosystems which makes areas interesting to explore, etc.

Obviously this is an unrealistic expectation. 20 years later and the main series is still designing most of their areas on a "grid" even after the move to 3D.

I don't get the potential downsides OP is pointing out though. Warcraft 4 never getting made sucks because WoW and Warcraft are totally different game genres and have vastly different storytelling styles. A good Pokemon MMO would presumably keep the core of the Pokemon gameplay and it's not like a lot of the Pokemon "lore" isn't just ridiculous fanon. Pokemon also pushes out movies yearly and very few of them are good, even as kid's movies.

Like others have said though, Pokemon Go has potential to fill this niche, but I still have my doubts it will be any good.

>>25666047
When people clamored for a Star Wars MMO, they got Galaxies, which is actually a lot closer to what a "good" Pokemon MMO would be like. The Old Republic was pure greed which is why it was a mediocre WoW clone with an inflated budget from hours and hours of voice acting. Complete waste of talent and resources.
>>
>>25672158
>with an inflated budget from hours and hours of voice acting

No that's why the game's filesize is inflated. Most of the cost of the game came from marketing it.
>>
>>25665856
Any franchise that gets an MMO is either dying or dead. Pokemon wouldn't even be fun as an MMO. The best thing for pokemon was the multiplayer stuff that was thrown into the latest games that makes playing with others easy but not obtrusive.

>>25669776
This I can get behind tho
>>
>>25666104
>Can't read
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.