[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gamefreak has been trying to recapture/mimic Gen 1 for two gens
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: foongus.png (297 KB, 594x640) Image search: [Google]
foongus.png
297 KB, 594x640
Gamefreak has been trying to recapture/mimic Gen 1 for two gens (6 years). My question is why?
>>
Diversity of inter-gen designs.

I bet GF really liked the idea of walking up to an item and having it turn out to be a pokemon, so they've been trying to recapture that feeling with Foongus.
>>
>>25655244
Using their themes to produce something without taking limitations into account? At least for black and white.
>>
The idea of there being no Pokemon from previous gens and only new Pokemon in B/W was fantastic, hope they do it again in S/M.

It makes everything feel mysterious and undiscovered, and it gives you a challenge. Just like Gen 1.
>>
>>25655244
because muh gen 1 nostalgia
>>
>>25655349
It helps no one to be reductive.
>>
>>25655244
Because money anon.

Gen 1 was a global force of nature, Gen 1 was the beginning (and, to an extent, the beginning of the end) of Pokémon in truly popular media, you literally couldn't avoid Pokémon during the Gen 1 days, the things were fucking everywhere, so Gamefreak must have been making an absolute shit ton of cash, off the games, but predominantly off of licensing agreements.

So if they can capture lightning in a bottle for a second time, it'd make them even richer.

That's all there is to it
>>
Because everyone wants gen 1. People will forever be stuck in the past, and anything innovative or new will always be hated, so why not stick with a formula that worked?
>>
>>25655379
it's the truth tho. Gen 1 was the one that got everybody hooked so just keep making gen 1 over and over to capitalize on the nostalgia.
>>
>>25655331
Zero older pokemon is maybe too much, but new pokemon should be the majority (like Hoenn)
Every region should have its own identity

As much as Kalos was better than Shitnova, it failed hard on that aspect
>>
>>25655331
This. I think it'd be interesting if they didn't even mimic the usual grass/fire/water/bird/cat/dog/bat/pikaclone/etc setup and just made a totally new dex on its own merits.
>>
>>25655448
Uhh.. what do you mean?

Like, I understand not having a Pikaclone, but what else? You don't want Grass/Fire/Water starters?
>>
>>25655430
By simply blaming nostalgia, you're implying that people shouldn't enjoy the old games simply because the new games exist.

The flagrant dismissal of something nostalgic is just as emotionally-driven of a response as someone who only likes something due to nostalgia.

Point is, you shouldn't think that decrying something as nostalgia means anything about it's status of quality.
>>
>>25655244
Because they were trying to avoid what happened to Kirby on its 20th Anniversary: a party on HAL Lab. in Japan were only where about 200 people and no new game was released on that year (Triple Deluxe is "that" 20th Anniversary game.
>>
>>25655502
I think a huge issue is that the fanbase's nostalgia is too strong of a force to really be pushed against

Look how many people are quick to deride Gen V for trying new and different things on old concepts. Or the other group of people who prefer Gen VI for relying so much on Gen I for sales. Or worse, people who deride Gen VI for relying so hard on Gen I simply because it isn't Gen I to begin with

Gen I seems to be the generation in Pokemon that truly garners in sales, no matter how much new they try for. And if something's unfamiliar, it's cast aside as bad
>>
File: output_9mxdmM.gif (4 MB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
output_9mxdmM.gif
4 MB, 480x480
>>25655532
>Kirby's Dream Collection, known in Japan as Hoshi no Kirby 20th Anniversary Special Collection (星のカービィ 20周年スペシャルコレクション Hoshi no Kābi Ni-ju-shūnen Supesharu Korekushon?), is a 2012 video game published by Nintendo for the Wii system. It is an anthology disc celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Kirby series, which took place on April 27, 2012. In addition to the disc, the package includes a booklet that highlights Kirby's history, as well as a soundtrack CD containing music from multiple series entries.

You're so wrong it hurts
>>
>>25655486
I don't hate the formula, but a new type trio would be refreshing.
>>
>>25655628
Starters are the only way we get halfway passable Grass shit. Don't take that away from me.
>>
>>25655331
>hope they do it again in S/M.
Not with that one picture from SM with a Horsea statue and a bunch of old water pokémon in the wall.
>>
File: 1455331143179.png (6 KB, 358x235) Image search: [Google]
1455331143179.png
6 KB, 358x235
>>25655653
>He doesn't likes Grass types
>>
>>25655718
He does like Grass types----reading comprehension?
>>
File: 1403184510215.jpg (2 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
1403184510215.jpg
2 MB, 5000x5000
>>25655653
Maybe if ice was in the starter trio we'd get something good for a change.
>>
>>25655448
if they did what Unova did but with completely mixed up typing (like an ice, poison, fighting,) or whatever right off the bat it would be sweet
>>
>>25655542
Gen V was arguably the best imo because it tried now things with the same formula

GF had been feeding off of the 90s pokemania for 20 years now and they need to step back from it in order for the new games to stand on their own.
>>
>>25655690
IIRC Black and White had a ton of Pikachu shit on the signs or something at some point.
>>
File: Bunch of old mons confirmed.jpg (176 KB, 1520x802) Image search: [Google]
Bunch of old mons confirmed.jpg
176 KB, 1520x802
>>25656131
One is the mascot of the franchise, the other literally suggest a game more like DPP and XY, just look at pic related.
>>
>>25656614
yeah there's zero reason to expect they would repeat BW so soon, especially having just introduced mega evolutions. we're going to be seeing much less new pokemon.
>>
I thought the idea behind gen 5 was parallel evolution
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.