[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone else noticed a disturbing trend towards the resentment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 808x805) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 808x805
Has anyone else noticed a disturbing trend towards the resentment of Gen 1 in response to Genwunners instead of that negativity being placed upon the Genwunners themselves?

I swear, it's like people are starting to hate the Gen itself rather than the obnoxious purists fans it tends to spawn. I started with Gen 1, but Gen 2-4 are my favorites. I appreciate where the series has come from and, as a fan, appreciate what it has become. I feel like this shift in general Gen 1 opinion might signify the changing of the guard, so to speak, with newer fans with lesser experience with Gen 1 just assuming that it's a buggy mess rather than the progenitor of the entire franchise.

Anyone else see this going on? Why do you think there's more of a Gen 1 resentment building?
>>
Yeah, I've noticed it too. If anything anti-genwuunners are more rampant than genwunners are. And I hate that if you criticize something a newer game has people automatically start comparing it to gen 1's flaws even though I dislike those same things in gen 1.
>>
I don't know what you mean, but personally, it's called being able to make your own opinion. I think all gens suck, and if you can't handle that, I suggest you run and cry to mommy.
>>
>>25652071
>resentment
That's the wrong word for it anon. No one actually hates the gen 1 games but admit that they have not aged well in the slightest.

That said there's an alarming amount of genwunners cropping up here due to the recent release of the VC games with more and more of them trying to "fit in" by saying they're absolutely fine and any issue with it is negligible and were intended choices.
>>
It's mainly unovabortions who get incredibly insecure whenever someone insults their game. They think that everyone who dislikes gen 5 is a genwunner who thinks the original 151 is perfect and everything else is shit.
>>
>>25652071
4chan has always been "I hate anything popular" general.
>>
>>25652153
>No one actually hates the gen 1 games
Yes they do. Because they want to get back at the genwunner boogieman that doesn't actually exist.

> more of them trying to "fit in" by saying they're absolutely fine and any issue with it is negligible and were intended choices.
Most issues with it ARE negligible. The glitches people keep going on and on about are overblown and you barely encounter any of them in the actual game.

If anything the people trying to fit in are the ones automatically hating anything related to gen 1 just to fit in with the anti-genwun culture this board has.
>>
>>25652153
This.

You genwunners need to understand that your game hasn't held up well and need to stop holding it in such high regard.
>>
It's okay to like gen 1.
I like it too, but you find a lot of people who don't really care about Pokemon that start saying "there's only 150, the rest are shit", "running out of ideas" and "looks like a digimon"
You ask them "Why?" and they start to trash newer generations, "pokemon are animals" "lol keys" "thats a fucking ice cream" "overdesigned piece of shit"
Naturally, you point out how gen 1 had them too, so that's not a valid argument. But they say "they make sense, magnets attract each other" "that pokemon just happens to look like food/items". You proceed to explain how the new pokemon work exactly like that, and they say "lol no", etc, etc, etc.

This is why most people started hating gen 1 itself, because it is flawless for the genwunners, while in reality it's exactly the same shit as the newer ones

tl;dr It's the genwunner's fault
>>
>>25652212
>but you find a lot of people who don't really care about Pokemon that start saying "there's only 150, the rest are shit", "running out of ideas" and "looks like a digimon"

No you don't. Seriously, where are these people? I keep seeing people mention this but I NEVER see people actually say this. Do you ACTUALLY encounter them or are you just making exaggerations based on a few Facebook reposts anti-genwunners make?
>>
>>25652184
This is exactly what I'm talking about.

There has not been a single person on /vp/ that outright hates gen 1 they literally accept that the game has a large amount of flaws but still respect it for starting the whole thing.

You on the other hand are trying to say that people should ignore those issues that people have and like them simply because they're the first of the series.

>The glitches people keep going on and on about are overblown and you barely encounter any of them in the actual game.
This is the worst part of the genwunner mentality, you seem to think that the flaws and issues are limited to the glitches and that the only ones are the the missing no ones. Do yourself a favor and do some research into the actual game before you make yourself look like an idiot again.

>just to fit in with the anti-genwun culture this board has.
This board has nothing like that, the only "anti-genwun" culture is ironically being perpetuated by you with these stupid posts.
>>
My conclusion has nothing to do with any arguments. I came to it on my own accord. The very premise of pokemon is a load of garbage. I cannot support something so contradictory. Even if I hadn't, I would have still gotten sick of what your goals are supposed to be. It's too stupid. I can't do it anymore.
>>
>>25652184
>genwunner boogieman that doesn't actually exist.

Maybe not on /vp (and only because of the widespread hate genwunners get here) but genwunners do exist
>>
>>25652275
>but genwunners do exist

barely
>>
>>25652255
>Do you ACTUALLY encounter them
Yes, they've been coming up a lot since the anniversary is currently happening.
If you haven't noticed how many posts we've had recently complaining about how cartoonish, or complicated the pokemon designs have gotten and people wishing for it to return to the gen one style of "realistic" then you're in some serious denial.
>>
>>25652255
Go on any Facebook post on Pokemon's page. Or go on reddit or twitter or any of the other social media shit sites. The fact that you actually believe none of that exists (when it is in fact very common) means that you aren't a cuck faggot, so you should be happy about that.
>>
>>25652282
No, they are very common. Where do you live that you think they aren't?
>>
>>25652282
http://www.giantbomb.com/pokemon/3025-452/forums/best-generation-of-pokemon-568336/

>Anything but the original 151 are second class at best. Some of the first 100 they added past the first 151 are cool, but they got bad real quick.

>Generation 1 is the only generation that matters.

>Fuck any Pokemon past 151!

>OG 150.

>Gen 1 had Charizard and Blastoise. That's a fact.

I found that thread after a simple google search of "best pokemon generation".
>>
>>25652318
You mean all that trending junk that EVERYONE knows is fake? You'd have to be underage to be that much of a fool.
>>
>>25652255
Have you been living under a rock? We have had these exact arguments here regularly
Another example, in forums like NeoGAF, when a new generation gets announced and the first few pokemon are shown, there's always this faggot who comes to the thread just to say "anything beyond the first 150 doesn't exist" while completely ignoring mew of course. That starts a derail and the same arguments I posted up there. They just can't accept that they liked pokemon when they were younger and grew out of it, they think they're absolutely right and everyone else is retarded and "doesn't get it"
>>
>>25652357
>You mean all that trending junk that EVERYONE knows is fake?
You what?
Are you seriously trying to say that the opinions of other people are fake just because they don't adhere to your argument?
>>
>>25652303
>Yes, they've been coming up a lot since the anniversary is currently happening.

No they haven't.

>If you haven't noticed how many posts we've had recently complaining about how cartoonish, or complicated the pokemon designs have gotten
That isn't recent. People have complained about this before. I get it now. You're just a newfag.

>>25652338
Where do YOU live where you think they are?

>>25652348
Those are only a few out of 100+ posts. And of those, only a few of them explicitly say everything else is shit. FYI, people are ALLOWED to like gen 1 more than any other gen. If you think otherwise you're more cancerous than they are.

>>25652365
>Have you been living under a rock?
Have you?

>there's always this faggot who comes to the thread just to say

I love how you say "this" faggot. As in it's singular. As in it's probably only one person and you're just selectively picking them and ignoring all the other posts that have nothing against other gens.
>>
Why are you mad at Genwunners?

They were the ones who helped save the franchise from the brink during Gen3. They are the only generation to have 151 meme pokemon that everybody and their mother remembers.
>>
>>25652357
No one said anything about trending. You're trolling at this point you stupid nignog.
>>
>>25652269
>There has not been a single person on /vp/ that outright hates gen 1

Yes there is, newfag.

>You on the other hand are trying to say that people should ignore those issues
I'm not saying people should ignore them. I'm saying they're overblown. Especially by people trying to fit into the ebin anti-genwun culture.

>you seem to think that the flaws and issues are limited to the glitches
I never said that.

>This board has nothing like that, the only "anti-genwun" culture is ironically being perpetuated by you with these stupid posts.
Lurk more.
>>
>>25652446
Answer his goddamn question you faggot horsecock lover. Or are you afraid that we'll come to you and murder you like you deserve?
>>
>>25652184
>genwunner boogieman that doesn't actually exist
You must be new.
And not just new to 4chan, new to the internet. Geewunners are everywhere.
>>
File: 1457717785642.png (34 KB, 436x288) Image search: [Google]
1457717785642.png
34 KB, 436x288
>>25652071
>people are going to see it as terrible instead of the greatest installment because they don't have nostalgia goggles on

I don't see the problem with this.
>>
>>25652407
No. It's clickbait. Playing off current events for views. It means nothing. The media has been stuck in 2000 in terms of pokemon for as long as it's existed. It's all anyone knows. Of course they would only play off older pokemon. Why not any of the second gens, you might ask? Well, even for them, it's obvious the second gens did not catch on as well. Better to play off what you know they like.
>>
>>25652446
>No they haven't.
They have anon, they've been coming up a lot. Hell this thread alone is proof that they've been cropping up a lot.

>That isn't recent. People have complained about this before.
Not on this scale you idiot, before it was rare now it's in any thread that mentions pokemon designs.
There's always several different anons that complain about these things.

Lets not forget about the recent gen 5 hate posts they didn't happen too often either.
>>
>>25652491
>You must be new.

Tell that to yourself. They're not everywhere, you're just parroting what other anti-genwunners say.
>>
>>25652451
People that played gen I are not automatically genwunners.
>>
>>25652536

They praise Gen1 but don't know why
>>
>>25652521
>Tell that to yourself. They're not everywhere, you're just parroting what other anti-genwunners say.
I swear you argue just like that gardefag from months ago. Someone says something you don't like, you just stamp your foot and yell "NUH UH" until everyone leaves.

Well friend, you can say the sky's red until you turn blue in the face but it's not going to change anything but your complexion.
>>
File: patrick-mind.gif (204 KB, 400x480) Image search: [Google]
patrick-mind.gif
204 KB, 400x480
Have my two cents:

From my point of view it's the hoennbabbies who shit-talk every other game and go as far as falseflagging for the sake of making other fans look bad too. People from other gens are usually more reasonable.

Also, I've seen plenty of old Gen 1 people still enjoying other games, with the news of Pokémon many of them even picked up Pokémon again and are doing just fine.

All genuine genwunners I've seen are usually just anime shitheads who didn't even play the games, they don't count.
>>
>>25652071
It's the same way with everything, really.

People dislike things because a person who likes said thing is a nasty piece of shit, and thus it becomes generalized to the point where liking something is associated with being a nasty piece of shit. So just cut out the middleman and hate the thing, it's easier and generalizes less.

Another thing - people who tend to hate Gen 1 will almost always hate Genwunners, but not necessarily the other way around. I'm not saying the hate for Gen 1 is just a vocal minority, just saying it probably is smaller than it really seems to be.

I personally don't like Gen I anyway, and I'd be lying if I said some of the dislike didn't come from Genwunners. Not purely the reason, just part of it. It's just basic human nature, I wouldn't get obssessed over it.
>>
>>25652446
In these threads, people have discussions about how good/shit the pokemon are, but there's one guy (yes, one) who comes out and says that line, generally 50 post in, then out of nowhere comes a handful of people who agree with him and won't listen to anything you say
Fuck, I remember that one guy made a genwunner circlejerk general thread in neogaf. Let me look for the link...

>>25652451
I hate the nonsense they say.
>"I liked pokemon when I was a kid, pokemon doesn't appeal to me anymore, but I'll always love the original 150"
>"the new artstyle makes the new pokemon look ugly, I don't like them"
There, reasonable, valid arguments. You don't like them, that's fine

Then you ask why the new pokemon suck
>"lol food"
>"overdesigned, looks like a digimon"
>"pokemon shouldn't have clothes"
That's nonsense, gen 1 had them too. Don't ignore them.
>>
>>25652465
>Yes there is, newfag.
>newfag
Heads up there anon, only newfags say newfag.
Anyway, have you got any evidence of people outright hating it like you claim? And don't use that image as "hate" either because that is a literal observation of the game and the issues with it not a message of hate.

>I'm not saying people should ignore them. I'm saying they're overblown.
Not really, they're only ever brought up when people like you say they're not a substantial gamechanger when the fact of the matter is that the gen 1 games play very, very differently from even the gen 2 games.

>I never said that.
>The glitches people keep going on and on about
>The glitches
Not every issue is to do with a glitch, often they're poor choices like the special stat, wrap mechanics, Criticals and so on.
Hell wrap makes Erika the most annoying gym to go through because of how tedious it is if you get caught.

>Lurk more
I can tell you that I lurk more than you do anon, you're either shitposting or in massive denial about these things. Which is pretty evident by your short sentences and "nuh-uh" arguments.
>>
File: 647Keldeo.png (705 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
647Keldeo.png
705 KB, 1280x1280
>>25652071
>>25652593
Next you're gonna tell me that MLP is an okay show and it's only hated because of bronies.
>>
For the record, even if I didn't hate the premise of this series, I never felt any reason to praise the first gen for anything it accomplished. Yes, it is the origin. That is all it is. That doesn't give it any magical proofing against it's flaws. A lot of franchises aren't remembered for their roots and they will fully acknowledge that things have improved since then. If they haven't, then they look to the closest version that was loved. You do not have to worship the original, but it should be recognized for being the original.
>>
>>25652635
Not him but fuck you, newfags are newfags whether you want it or not.

Fucking newfags.
>>
>>25652657
Tell that to the Dragon Quest fans in Japan, please.
>>
>>25652586
>From my point of view it's the hoennbabbies who shit-talk every other game and go as far as falseflagging for the sake of making other fans look bad too.
From my point of view it would be the sinnohbabbies, especially since their generation is cropping up a lot and more threads dedicated to them are too.
To top off they were the most disliked generation here up until now so they would have a reason to be a bit angry where as the hoennbabbies weren't much until the patternfags came along.

See this?
This is the problem with this "blame it on a group for an arbitrary reason" mentality. You're literally just inciting more genwars for no reason.
Even if it's your own opinion keep it to yourself.

>with the news of Pokémon many of them even picked up Pokémon again and are doing just fine
I have my doubts about that, since the sales only rose slightly with Gen 4 and then dropped back to gen 3 levels with Black and White and X and Y.
The only people that have been playing pokemon recently are the people who have always played it.
>>
>>25652645

>Thought I saw an anus
>>
>>25652645
Don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about the objective quality of Gen 1, only my personal opinion of it.

People tend to not like MLP because of bronies, because watching MLP means you're a brony, also a far unwashed greasy faggot in most people's eyes. It's perfectly fine not to like it dislike Gen 1 or MLP, I'm just trying to explain why some might dislike it.

Though fuck off, we all play games for children, most of us in reality probably aren't better than bronies.
>>
>>25652669
Then shouldn't you be directing this post at him?
>>
>>25652714
/vp/ it's extremely hypocritical when it comes to /mlp/, don't try to reason it.
>>
>>25652685
No sense talking to a brick wall. That is why I think the games need a western division to make the games how we would like them to be.
>>
>>25652071

As a huge fan of gen 1 that still likes pretty much every gen that followed it, yeah, I've noticed. It's really obnoxious, and it kind of makes me resent fans of modern pokemon a lot. But what can you do? It's not like their opinions even matter anyway, the masses still love gen 1 and gamefreak knows it.

And for the record, this kind of thing happens with a lot of video games. Ever see people white knighting skyward sword by tearing down 2D Zelda and Ocarina of Time?
>>
>>25652748
>That is why I think the games need a western division to make the games how we would like them to be.
Lets not, the last thing we need is more censorship.
>>
File: 1458487463089.jpg (320 KB, 2027x1662) Image search: [Google]
1458487463089.jpg
320 KB, 2027x1662
>>25652750
>Ever see people white knighting skyward sword by tearing down 2D Zelda and Ocarina of Time?
Don't remind me.
>>
>>25652770
So? Develop for another audience then.
>>
>>25652790
>So? Develop for another audience then.
That would defeat the purpose.
>>
>>25652817
Why? The goal was to make a game that would appeal to us. What is the problem? Did I misunderstand? If so, then I don't know what the argument is.
>>
>>25652275
on the normie nest that is facebook maybe. But do people who probably haven't bought a pokemon game since 2000 count?
>>
>>25652770
Evidence of this? Bravely Second is being gutted by the Japanese because they, as an ethnicity, hate challenge and feeling sad.
>>
>>25652874
>hate challenge and feeling sad
>Japanese
What the fuck am I reading?
>>
I don't hate gen 1, I just acknowledge that it is strictly inferior to newer gens
>>
>>25652874
I thought BS was way easier than BD
>>
>>25652874
>hate challenge and feeling sad.
That only applies to Pokemon.
I've yet to see a jap game as easy as a western game.
>>
>>25652701
I thought gen 3 was the most hated and gen 4 was when everybody came back to the series
>>
>>25652919
The people that came in on 3 are old enough to post. Things would seem skewed then.
>>
Gen 1 is my favorite game to speedrun
>>
>>25652919
Many dropped out of pokemon after gen 1 and came back in gen 4. If they liked it they became sinnohbabbies, if not, genwunners.
>>
>>25652944
prior to them posting often gen 3 was the odd man out. As a result they were more defensive about their generation once they started posting.
>>
>>25652919
Nah.
Gen 3 wasn't really a discussion point outside of the obligatory "May month" threads before the patternfags latched on with their remake ideas in between Black and White and Black and White 2. After that the whole gen was hit with the Water Trumpet shitposting wave and it became a joke to hate it. As evidenced by people saying the music was objectively bad.

Gen 4 on the other hand was torn apart, hard. At least until recently, now there seems to be people who are trying to justify the simplified elements like the BF and Contests with the logic that "no one played them anyway so it doesn't matter".

As for bringing people back to the series, it's hard to say seeing how popular the DS was at the time, it's more likely that kids picked up the game and then dropped it quickly considering the sales only increased by about a one or two million or so over RSE then dropped back down to that number with Gen 5. Adding on to that even the jap kiddies found Sinnoh a bit difficult so they were probably more inclined to drop it because of that.
But this is just speculation, we'll never really know if it brought back people or not.
>>
>>25652894
Ever notice how Japanese roleplaying games have no branching conversations, no choice?

Ever notice how in Western games even whether what you picking is actually a "good" choice is debatable because, they have good writing, but bad endings in Japan are always full of red flags, sometimes even outright fourth wall breaking warnings?

Bravely Second japanese focus groups complained about being forced to feel sad and pick between two bad choices when they wanted the good ending and win?

>>25652908
No, that actually applies to Japanese games in general. For example, the Japanese have no strategy genre. It's completely absent. Too challenging.
>>
>>25653042
Personally, gen 4 is the best or at least second best because of the WiFi services and Physical/Special split. But then I skipped D/P and went straight to Platinum and never liked contests.
Also I genuinely like the gen 4 cross generation evos.
>>
>>25653061
Oh, so they can only take difficulty if it's trial and error? I suppose that makes sense, they're obsessive after all.
>>
>>25653061
>For example, the Japanese have no strategy genre. It's completely absent. Too challenging.
So are you trying to say that challenge can only be sought in a single way?
Strategy games aren't challenging either as much as they are tedious.
>>
>>25653093
Putting it that way, it really makes sense. Most Japanese games to be traditionally considered hard can be beaten with good memorization skills.
>>
>>25653069
As long as you recognize why people have issue with that particular generation you're fine anon.
That said one of my favourite pokemon comes from gen 4 and is also a cross gen.
>>
>so I know we all hate "gen oners" but you know who's even worse? Those anti-genwunners amaright??
>my favorite game? Oh uh g-gen two
>>
>>25653093
And time investment.

Like, almost all Japanese RPGs are split wide open by grinding. That's how they bypass any attempts at difficulty.

Meanwhile, grinding in Western games is deliberately removed, the random encounters give little to no experience. You have to do sidequests and pick correct options to do well.
>>
File: Sdsz24B.jpg (144 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Sdsz24B.jpg
144 KB, 800x600
>>25653061
>For example, the Japanese have no strategy genre. It's completely absent. Too challenging.
There are plenty of VNs with Strategy Elements, including /v/s all time favourite
>>
>>25653069
>WiFi services and Physical/Special split
those were the only two major things I liked from that generation. The gen was pretty damn forgettable until HG/SS came out.
>>
>>25653115
No, I am saying that the Japanese hate to think challenging issues through, in any way, shape or form.

>that spoiler
You are retarded and incompetent.
>>
>>25653186
What strategy? All things like this that I know of are just know the correct sequence and you win..
>>
>>25653186
Tell me what S in SRPG stands for.
>>
>>25653204
>No, I am saying that the Japanese hate to think challenging issues through, in any way, shape or form.
Question, which japanese games do you usually go for?

>You are retarded and incompetent.
Says the person that finds them challenging.
>>
File: 1458432536857.png (48 KB, 633x265) Image search: [Google]
1458432536857.png
48 KB, 633x265
>>25652255
Granted a couple of these are giving 2 and 3 a pass, but it's there. I think I have another one. The one with the Gogoat, in case another anon has it before I find it.
>>
>>25653216
Strategy
>>
>>25653134
Apparently D/P was slow as shit which is why it poisoned the gen harder than gen 3 and it's lack of time capsule equivalent. Also fuck Defog and Rock Climb.

Apart those, I don't really see other issues with gen 4.
>>
File: Fire Emblem LOGO.png (49 KB, 614x197) Image search: [Google]
Fire Emblem LOGO.png
49 KB, 614x197
>>25653061
>the Japanese have no strategy genre

They sure don't.
>>
>>25653061
>For example, the Japanese have no strategy genre.
You do know that's because they lump it into the simulation genre right?
As in war simulation and what not?
>>
>>25652919

Game wise it didn't go right and the double battle mechanic was the high point, there was also something up with the transfer from Gen1+2 to Gen3. They had to bring back Gen1 in the form of FRLG to help get fans back. Console wise they went in a weird direction and instead of doing a Stadium game they went off and did XD and Colosseum

Anime wise there was quality issues and the series was going stale. The anime had a pattern that was way too predictable and of course they made Ash lose the Hoenn League. In order to make it appeal again they sent everybody to Kanto so Ash could take on the Battle Frontier which they him win. May was the best part of AG but couldn't save the franchise by herself. There was also the 4Kids dub debacle that changed the english dub

TCG wise it was confusing and frustrating with the whole E-reader mechanic thrown in. E-reader didn't do well and the cards themselves looked pretty bad with their huge yellow boarders.
>>
>>25653208
Have you played Sengoku Rance?
>>
>>25653233
Basically, being a genwunner is a normalfag thing.
>>
File: genwar_bingo.jpg (339 KB, 777x922) Image search: [Google]
genwar_bingo.jpg
339 KB, 777x922
Ever notice there's bias in the genwar bingo chart?
>>
>>25653233
>original 252
>252
So he likes Treecko but hates the rest of the Hoenn mons? That makes no sense
>>
>>25653308
Yeah we already made that joke in the cringe thread earlier.
>>
>>25653308
Probably just remembered the number incorrectly, unless they bailed right after Kecleon was revealed. That is the only way that number would exist.
>>
>>25653292
This is what people have been saying the whole time. They exist, but I guarantee only a small minority of them have any recent experience in the series beyond pictures and maybe an episode or two of the anime from Cartoon Network...
>>
>>25653242
Idiot. You have learned nothing.

>>25653283
>guys what if, instead of standing around being menus, characters in an RPG could... move on a square grid?
>Genius! This is now a whole another genre!

Meanwhile:

Roleplaying games in the West have had complete freeform movement since forever.

And between X-Com and Fire Disgaea: We Are Epic Wacky Anime Misters, it is obvious which one would anyone pick.
>>
>>25652071
Need to rack up that /vp/ cred senpai
>>
>>25653061
>For example, the Japanese have no strategy genre.
>Fire Emblem
>Langrisser
Bokosuka wars was a valiant attempt on the NES and Sharp X1 if I remember right.
>Vandal hearts
Basically there's a lot of them.

What you're thinking of are RTS games.
>>
>>25653286
>anime
it's always been mediocre. The older episodes had the benefit of having the same plots being repeated constantly while they were still somewhat fresh. All the Advanced series did was focus a bunch of episodes on Pokemon Contests to slow the pace down more. Other than that it was more or less the same.
>>
>>25653385
>Roleplaying games in the West have had complete freeform movement since forever.
Removing most of the strategy involved mind you. At that point I doubt you could call them Strategy games.

>And between X-Com and Fire Disgaea: We Are Epic Wacky Anime Misters, it is obvious which one would anyone pick.
Probably X-Com because it's a fair bit simpler.
>>
Do people forget that Square and Enix were pioneers in going away from the standard turn based and grid maps?
>>
>>25653286
>Console wise they went in a weird direction and instead of doing a Stadium game they went off and did XD and Colosseum
You do know the game was essentially Stadium but with a story mode right?
Not exactly weird as much as what people wanted, a full pokemon console game.

As for the reception of the main games outside of the the transferal issue, which was due to the new hardware and link cables being incompatible, they were recieved fairly well but were unfortunate enough to come out after the over all pokemon hype ended. Which wasn't killed by gen 3 like so many people like to spout but began to peter out towards crystal, nothing killed it fads just have to end.
Anyway despite that most people enjoyed the new features they added to the game because it made pokemon feel new
>>
>>25653457
Do you honestly expect someone that thinks that japan hates challenge, keeping in mind that japan hard was a thing not too long ago, knows that?
>>
Know what the real problem lies in? Not Genwunners, but the shitters who never played the games, and only watched the anime and spew shit like the first Pokemon were great and only know Pikachu, Charizard, Meowth and Togepi. The target audience that Pokemon Go! is for, basically. The ones who call Red Ash and Green Gary. The ones who the Superbowl commercial was made for. Gen 1 fans are fine. Genwunners are cancer. The ones I mentioned just now? Even worse. And they're gonna come in droves over the next few months.
>>
>>25653061

>Ever notice how in Western games even whether what you picking is actually a "good" choice is debatable because, they have good writing

Maybe 20 years ago that was true, but Western games do not have good writing anymore. And even then, "good writing" as far as video games are concerned has always been a rarity, regardless of where the game was made.
>>
>>25653532
kids who played Gen 1 & 2 grew out of Pokemon when Gen 3 came out, that's ultimately why the sales went down. Had nothing to do with quality, the older fans left and the younger siblings who missed the fad due to their age were ultimately the ones who played Ruby & Sapphire the most. The older fans came back during Gen 4 once they got out of their high school years.

The ones that have the most memories with that generation were introduced to the series with it and are now old enough to post here.
>>
That would explain a few things, then. There's a lot of people that seem overly impatient for info on Sun and Moon. I remember when I first found the Internet pokemon community, back when Ruby and Sapphire was announced. Granted, I was greeted to more info than people who just found out about Sun and Moon did. I can perhaps understand their impatience, but they should at least still know that if no information yet exists, then you should wait for it. That is unless they're all children. I kinda pity them. This is no way to get into pokemon.
>>
>>25653532

The good thing was they started a tradition of bringing back previous gen games as a remake, it wasn't all bad
>>
>>25652184
>>25652255
sounds like you've never tried to have IRL conversations about Pokemon before. almost half the time the response to me saying I play Pokemon is "I stopped playing after the first gen, the series went to shit". SOMETIMES it's 2nd or 3rd gen, but almost always 1st gen

seriously, get out from under your rock
>>
>>25652071
OP, your entire post is tantamount to "why don't other people have the same appreciation and taste that I do? I'm appreciative and have good taste, by the way."

Anyway, no, I don't see it going on, but we're obviously operating on different wavelengths.
>>
>>25652657
too bad some people are immune to reason
maybe there aren't as many genwunners on this board, but i've met plenty of people irl that are genwunners
>>
>>25653790
>sounds like you've never tried to have IRL conversations about Pokemon before

I have. People like current Pokemon.

You're the one who needs to get out of the rock.
>>
>>25653923
for you to say an entire demographic of people don't exist shows you're the one who either has too little experience/exposure or just an extremely strong confirmation bias, especially since numerous others can attest to these individuals not only existing, but being prevalent.
>>
>>25652071

This is probably the only thread (ever) on this subject that doesn't suck. Good work OP. You handled this very well. Also, you pic made me lol.
>>
/vp/ is retarded for thinking there are even any "Genwunners" on 4chan. Genwunners are basically just normies.
Anyone who comes to this board in particularly has obviously played/enjoyed the other pokemon games.
>>
>>25654000
You know that like /v/ is literally genwunner central right?
>>
>>25654031
>an entire board dedicated solely to pokemon available
>still cares what a general video game board thinks about pokemon

you have only yourself to blame.
>>
>>25652149
*tips*
>>
>>25652071
But it is the worst. For me it's the least played (right next to 6th gen, but that's due to one file & owning one game).

Even as a kid I wasn't fond of it's graphics and sound.
>>
>>25654808
I'm ambivalent towards it. It was the first Gen I played for an extended period of time, but no the first gen I played, or the first gen I played all the way through.

Going back and playing Blue, I probably wouldn't enjoy it if not for nostalgia. That being said, I really liked FRLG, but I like HGSS more. I think my personal ranking is HGSS>FRLG=BW>BW2>XY>RSE>GSC=RBY

I don't have any frame of reference for DPPt because I played it very quickly on an emulator a long time ago and don't remember much about it other than loving poffins and Garchomp.
>>
>>25653952
>for you to say an entire demographic of people don't exist

I'm not saying they don't exist. I'm saying they barely exist. Their existence is overblown by anti-genwunners parroting each other.
>>
>>25655539
Genwunners outnumber the naysayers by a ton.

Get off /vp/ and go to youtube comments or facebook. Hell, even anti-anti-genwunners are becoming a thing as well.
>>
Sinnohfetuses are far more common now than Genwunners. Or maybe I'm just noticing them now that they're 12-15 and joining the 'community'. Unova-whatever next then... ugh.
>>
>>25652750
>the masses still love gen 1 and gamefreak knows it.

That's just nostalgia and Gamefreak baiting them.
>>
>>25652701
Where are you pulling your facts from? The thing I said about genwunners getting back into Pokémon because of Go! is because I have actually seen it, I'm talking about my classmates (at college) who hadn't played anything since Gen 2 at most.

Also fuck off, it's pretty blatant that hoennbabbies are the most defensive and problematic little shits at here on /vp/. You say it's Sinnoh babies when I have yet to see any of them go full-retard defending their games, which is something common with RSE and ORAS faggots. Hell, I have yet to see any Sinnoh babies since most people who defend Sinnoh admit to being from Gen 1 or 2.
>>
>>25655625
>not realizing DPPt fans have been around for a while
>not knowing the term for gen fivers
>"...ugh"
>being this much of a newfag
>>
>>25655625
Where are you people getting this from? D/P, Platinum and HG/SS are about as loved as they were back when /vp/ started (which means that only the later two are).

You sound like hoennbabbies giving into paranoia.
Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.