[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled, how is mega evolution? And I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 12
File: mega.jpg (123 KB, 798x768) Image search: [Google]
mega.jpg
123 KB, 798x768
Now that the dust has settled, how is mega evolution?

And I don't mean "is it good" as a functional mechanic I mean, does it it ruin the spirit of Pokemon or does it fit in okay? Is it too Digimon-esque? Is it too big a departure from previous Gens, making the rest seem too dated because they don't have it?
>>
I know I'm in the minority here, but for me it totally ruins the spirit. I absolutely hate it and hope they get rid of it in the next gen. But I seriously doubt they will.
>>
They're just half-evolutions. Some of them work well and some of them don't. I prefer regular evolutions but megas haven't ruined anything for me. Blastoise is one of my favourites and I love its mega.
>>
>>25650399
This
The competitive aspects of pokemon suck mang.

I just want to chill with new intresting pokemon and look for them, now half of new regions are crammed with old guys for mega stuff.
>>
They're still dumb as hell. Now Pokemon who actually need evolutions like Mawile and Absol got some stupid mega form instead. Then Pokemon that are already strong like garchomp, metagross, and salamence unnecessarily received megas to make them even stronger.
Even worse is that most megas look like complete shit. They just add spikes all over the Pokemon like aerodactyle, houndoom and others. Mega blastoise though look rediculous. Why doesn't he have a pointy chin? Why does he have more shells on his wrists? It's a mess.

I was hoping it'd be a Gen 6 gimmick but they're here to stay sadly.
>>
File: its happening again.jpg (40 KB, 640x482) Image search: [Google]
its happening again.jpg
40 KB, 640x482
>>25650353

>Mega Evolution requires a strong bond between trainer and Pokemon... OH BY THE WAY PRESS THIS BIG BUTTON TO INSTANTLY MEGA EVOLVE AND WIN THE BATTLE

It's fucking stupid and didn't need to exist. instead of more unique and interesting Pokemon, we got this shitty fanservice mechanic that does nothing but encourage this power gasm style Pokemon's been heading towards for a while. 79 new Pokemon. Fucking wow. I but don't worry, Rayquaza can turn Mega now! Who needs more variety when you now have the Pokemon equivelant of Brawl's fucking Meta Knight.

I dislike Megas for the same reason I dislike the way you get a free Latios in OR/AS and a free Lucario in X/Y. It's too much of a fan grab and a desperate attempt to be accepted by the player. It's like they were scared they tried something too different with Gen 5 and so they tried to win us back with free stuff. Mega Evolution could have been a quick and easy solution to adding normal cross gen evolutions that fill up the Pokedex, but clearly Mega Garchomp and TWO FUCKING CHARIZARDS disprove that theory entirely.
>>
>>25650353
You just know they're going to eventually release a Pokemon with the power to manipulate Mega Evolution. Just like there's a Ground-type attack now that hits Levitate and Flying types.
>>
>>25650399
>>25650427
I agree with you fellas, Honestly it's cool that they tried to breath some life into some old mon but they did it so so horribly. I hate how in competitive I basically have to force myself into using a mega and its just a shitty mechanic. And in most cases it didn't even help as with shitmons it either made them stupid OP or didn't do anything to boost them at all and all the mon who have been OU for gens still remain. I also hope they get rid of the mechanic even though they probably will not
>>
>>25650442
>Why doesn't he have a pointy chin?

He does.

>Why does he have more shells on his wrists?

Those bad ass water cannons had to be mounted to something.
>>
>>25650537
I was meaning to ask why they pointed his chin in the mega Eco.

And the wrist shells looks stupid.
>>
>>25650552

I beg to differ.
>>
>>25650594
Hey, nothing wrong with liking somthing, just our tastes differ.

I just wish it was a stone eveloution from a prior form or somthing.
>>
It certainly isn't the best mechanic to have been added but I think it fits alright. It could have been executed better and 1/2 stage mons should have gotten an evolution instead of a mega but GF has shown they don't think things through too clearly. Also don't forget that the target demographic is kids so they're going to do what appeals to kids and that's exactly what megas do.
>>
>>25650353
>does it it ruin the spirit of Pokemon
It ruins the spirit of Pokemon as much as evolutions and formes do.

>Is it too Digimon-esque
How the fuck is it Digimon-esque, outside the localized name for the latter?
>>
>>25650353
this OP doesn't seem biased at all
>>
>>25650932
>How the fuck is it Digimon-esque

Temporary transformation into an ultra powerful, overdrawn state. It doesn't feel natural to the Pokemon world, it feels artificial, like Pokemon got all scienced up - especially because it didn't exist before Gen 6
>>
>>25651019
Pokemon has always been pretty sciency with how they literally have containers capable of containing any of these creatures in a portable device no matter the size

I honestly feel taking Megas as your best friend being given a large power buff to win a battle is almost as Pokemon as it can get

What's making Pokemon feel artificial is the current battle system in the first place
>>
Wouldn't mind it so much if the mega evoluton was permanent and not an in battle mechanic only. Just make it a final Evo kind of thing.
>>
File: DNA Splicers activation.png (160 KB, 414x226) Image search: [Google]
DNA Splicers activation.png
160 KB, 414x226
>>25651019

>it feels artificial, like Pokemon got all scienced up

Ding ding. Mega evolution isn't natural. ORAS heavily implied they only appeared due to the ancient war.
>>
>>25651169
I wish there was a way to switch forms on the fly like Origin Giratina and his Griseous Orb

I want my Mawile to be Mega at all times so I can love her twice as much
>>
>>25651019

Just saying, the temporary digimon evolution is only a thing in the anime, and even then, it's only a thing done by digimon with human partners.

All other digimon stay evolved when they actually reach a certain age and strength.
>>
>>25650353
me thinks they are fine but a lot of them terrible
>>
I like it overall, but I just hope that in the future they make more megas that aren't clearly better in every conceivable situation than the mons they evolved from.

Also please don't let this become an excuse to NEVER give new evolutions to old mons, not EVERYTHING needs a mega
>>
>>25651205

But that can't be right.

Mewtwo's Mega Evolutions (easily some of the only good ones) shouldn't exist, because Mewtwo only came into existence 50 years before FireRed/LeafGreen. Why would there be a jewel designed to awaken Mewtwo's power, if Mewtwo didn't exist until modern day society?
>>
no

What the fuck is the spirit of Pokemon anyway?
>>
>>25650490
I hadn't thought of that, but i can see it in the future. Similarly i do expect power creep to eventually see more than one mega on a team all the way until the point where the whole team can be megas. However i don't know how they would implement it, but i would imagine it would be incremental.
>>
Megas are shit. They could have been amazing but Game Freak screwed the pooch completely.
>>
>>25650353
>is it too digimon-esque?

This is like asking if Gobots is "too Transformer-esque" or if Hydrox is "too Oreo-esque"
>>
>>25651288

Either.

A. It exists for the same reason Mewtwo is in Kalos at all. There's a handful of hints that something strange went on behind the scenes a few years before XY.

Or

B. Mewtwo as a concept is a lot older than people think. Who said the one in Kanto is the first?
>>
>>25650353
It's 10/10 fanservice that breathes life into old favorites, it literally did nothing wrong.
>>
>>25651242
>it's only a thing done by digimon with human partners.
And thats what its reminding most of us of. This unnatural power-up using the trainer's hope/spirit/etc, shonen-style (and thats only what NPCs say. You can just catch any pokemon fresh and mega evolve it immediately).
If pokemon could Mega evolve just from holding the mega stone, no keystone or mega accessories required, it'd feel a tad better.

But overall it feels too much like
>typical shonen shows with plucky kid + crime-busting monster partner
and
>using some weird radiation shit on your pets to mutate them temporarily
>>
>>25651742
pokemon games have always been incredibly shonen, hell even in gen 2 it pushed the message of 'having a strong relationship with your pokemon is better than strategy and having powerful pokemon". Saying this is a change is a bit ridiculous
>>
>>25650353

I'm 22 years old and I just realized Blastoise's cannons are made out of the same material his turtle shell is made out of and that's why they didn't retype him or his mega evolution to Water/Steel. Its also why his water cannons are white and not some sort of metallic grey.
>>
>>25651997
no, you're just autistic
>>
>>25650399
>in the minority
Practically everyone on /vp/ hates on Mega Evolutions.
>>
>>25651411
The easiest route to that would just be having a Pokemon whose battle ability allows its partners to Mega Evolve, whether they have the stone or not. The Pokemon itself doesn't necessarily have to be good, but that would still make it the best Pokemon in the game, if you get what i'm saying.

Or you could have a battle mode where Mega restrictions go out the window.
>>
>>25652019
>Practically everyone on /vp/ hates on Mega Evolutions.
I thought the "official" stance was that the concept itself wasn't bad, rather it was implemented terribly.
>>
>>25650449
This

I don't want to use an old pokemon and have it steamroll everything with 10 times the power. The fact that only the player can do this while enemy megas don't even put up much of a fight just shows how retarded this is.
>>
>>25652019
>>25652186
I think that the opinion about it is pretty divisible, "pratically everyone" is a pretty erroneous thing to affirm.
>>
>>25652290
that's more down to Pokemon barely having an enemy AI than anything
>>
>>25650353
The idea of mega evolution isn't bad, since it's basically taking your bros and making them as strong as super-powered late game enemies. It's supposed to go off the whole "Bond/friendship" thing that GF tries to make the game about.

There's not nearly enough trainers that use it though, and your special snowflake mode makes you so horribly OP that it trivializes everything in easy games even more. If these games had a hard mode where your mega was your trump card and you actually needed to use it regularly in order to win, it wouldn't be terrible.

To top it off, you get already powerful pokemon like ubers and pseudo-legends who don't even need a mega. Megas are great when they go with the few pokemon who need them but shouldn't or can't get a full evolution, like starters or random shitmon.
>>
>>25650353
It's made VGC more fun.
>>
>>25651280
Garchomo
Slowbro
>>
It's thematically poor, but added a decent amount of complexity to competitive battles.
>>
For some pokemon, it works.

For others, I think they should have had regular evolutions instead of megas.

Overall, I don't tend to use them in game and feel like it is too much of a departure from what pokemon was before Gen 6,

Change is fine but this one didn't feel at all organic. If we get some fusion or burst bullshit with SuMo on top of megas, I will be btfo.
>>
File: Mega Beedrill.jpg (208 KB, 1000x694) Image search: [Google]
Mega Beedrill.jpg
208 KB, 1000x694
I'm alright with it as a concept, and I think it can really breathe new life into Pokemon that can't evolve any further and would otherwise be permanently relegated to the absolute bottom of the bottom of the barrel. I think as time goes on and more shitmons get Megas that make them at least passable again it will become more tolerable, but unfortunately a lot of Pokemon that are already fine as-is will likely get one first due to popularity.
>>
Literally everything about the concept is bad.

>Design
Most megas are just "add more spikes" and "make this key part of this mon more big and obvious" with very rare exceptions.

>Themes
Chit-chat about a strong bond between the trainer and the mon being shoved down your throat is meaningless because you can catch a wild mon and instantly mega him on a whim. At least friendship stat does something.

The idea of having a team of six pokemon that are roughly equally important goes out of the window since obviously now one mon is actually important and the rest are kinda eh.

>Power creep

Hey guys, some of the older pokemon really have bad abilities and stats and cannot compete with the newer, stronger, more popular ones. how can we fix that?

Give them megas.

Also give megas to the pokemon they are trying to compete with. That are just +200 stats. And you can have only one mega. Amazing.

Sableye and Absol just needed an evolution each, not this shit, for example.

>Multiplayer
Fucking terrible overcentralizing change.
>>
I love every aspect of the mechanic and there's now nothing I look forward to more than which pokemon are getting Megas in the newest installments. That, and the brand new pokemon.
>>
>>25651280

I don't understand this, you want some Megas to be worse than their vanilla formes intentionally?
>>
>>25650353
I'd like Mega Evolution a lot more if you had to max out friendship/happniess before you could Mega Evolve. Then it would legitimately represent a strong bond between the trainer and his Pokemon.

Oh, and there's already way too many fucking Mega Stones. They need to do something about that. And we've had what, two waves of Megas?

I still enjoy Megas, but they could've been done a bit better.
>>
>>25651288
Your post doesn't make sense. We know how mega stones came to be, but not how they get their specific power. Mewtwo could have simply found a blank stone and it resonated with it.

>>25652747
>Sableye and Absol just needed an evolution each, not this shit, for example.
>evolution only adds 50 or 60 points just because GF feels like that
>now you have an evolution that has no purpose
Nice. Also you activated Eviolite Sableye.

And your design point also applies to a big number of evolutions.
>>
>>25650449
I don't mind the free shit as I can be an adult and just box it instead of getting worked up, and gives my younger sibling something to crutch on. But the fact they go all into this "bond" but instead it's just a big button really is stupid. They could have at least connected it with amie.
>>
>>25653706
XY and ORAS could have easily not coded eviolite into the game. Since you can't transfers items through bank/from older generations it would eliminate that tactic from the game entirely.
>>
>>25650353
Double edged sword, but I think they bring more good than bad. I almost quit pokemon over it, but I actually ended up really enjoying it. I don't think it really ruins the spirit of pokemon. Don't think of it as digimon, think of it more as an unstable evolution. Like how certain radioactive elements can only exist for so long, megas are like in terms of evolution that except it can happen multiple times. So I don't think it ruins the spirit at all.

What's good is that it breaths life into old mons, what's bad is that it means for the most part that is their final evolution. I'm kind of thankful Slowbro sets the precedent that branches can still exist.

>>25651581
I'm of the opinion that what we're told about mega stones is pure speculation on the part of the characters and not the true story of megas. We might actually get the full story in SuMo.
>>
>>25653785
>XY and ORAS could have easily not coded eviolite into the game.
Not on your life, eviolite was made due to the overwhelming dislike of the cross gens in gen 4. To top it off it made a lot of pokemon viable.
>>
>>25654094
>I'm of the opinion that what we're told about mega stones
They're literally meteor fragments.
>>
>>25654203
>Overwhelming

Yeah, ok. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's "overwhelmingly" disliked. There is a vocal section of the pokemon fandom that dislikes cross gen evolutions. Not a large or majority. Just loudmouths who can't take off their nostalgia goggles.

>made a lot of pokemon viable
Oh, you mean like half a dozen out of the 719 available at the start of Gen VI?
Yeah, that sure is A LOT.
>>
>>25654214
I thought we were told the energy from the super weapon changed regular evolution stones into mega stones. Prof Sycamore only said that he thinks that the super weapon made mega stones, he never said for sure. All we really know is that the sun dial radiates the same energy as the super weapon and mega stones.

If they come from meteor fragments too, that means they can occur naturally and be manufactured. Once we know more about the energy itself, I think we'll know why there are XY variants and why Mewtwo has them.
>>
>>25650442
lol wtf, I have a living dex and didn't even know or remembered Houndoom had a mega evolution
>>
>>25654275
You didn't play ORAS did you.
Anyway, the original keystone was a meteor that fell and formed Sootopolis. That keystone was used to originally mega evolve Ray during the primal crisis of the past.

Ray also eats a meteor the player is carrying and that gives it the additional power to mega evolve without a stone.
>>
>>25654330
I did, I just don't remember the part about the meteor fragments. I do remember Rayquayza eating the Meteor though.

So what I'm trying to say is, that if mega stones happen naturally like in the case of Rayquayza, yet also happens for artificial pokemon like Mewtwo, there has to be some way to artificially make them and "tune" them to a pokemon or something.

I don't know, I just like that idea that X stones are actually artificial since X-Megas have stats and types that deviate pretty heavily compared to their Y and regular mega stone counterparts.
>>
>>25654447
>I just like that idea that X stones are actually artificial since X-Megas have stats and types that deviate pretty heavily compared to their Y and regular mega stone counterparts.
Their stats don't really deviate too much from a lot of megas as far as distribution goes.
>>
>>25654501
Most megas tend to be boosted versions of their original form, with the good stats augmented or somewhat in proportion. Funny enough, the Y versions also fit their base forms very well, yet the X forms are stranger. X Charizard balances out its atk and sp atk, where as Y continues to improve its sp atk over atk just like Regular Charizard. Mewtwo X goes full 180 and pumps it's atk way over its sp atk.

Stat wise most megas keep similar proportions to their original counterparts. Though you are right, Blastoise, Altaria, Diancie, and a couple others don't follow the Y trend too much.
>>
I've been playing since gen 1 and you will never convince me that powered up forms aren't dope as fuck.

There is nothing out of place about it. It's just a combination of forme change and evolution, two established mechanics. It expands the potential for aesthetics and competitive elements, and frankly I think they fixed a lot of designs like Lucario and Blaziken. If anything they should add even more types of evolutions and forme changes, like digimon levels of branching, just without the disconnected designs. It's the most natural course of expanding this series mechanically.
>>
File: 1316756551534.gif (1 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1316756551534.gif
1 MB, 300x169
>>25650353
It's a brilliant concept with absolutely awful execution.

Megas should be for absolute shitmon. Giving them popularity, viability, and usage and that originally wasn't there.

Additionally they wouldn't need to go fucking insane with Stats, just bring the shitmon to presentable levels with it's mega.
>>
>>25654798
Are you me
>>
File: ampharos-mega.jpg (33 KB, 289x320) Image search: [Google]
ampharos-mega.jpg
33 KB, 289x320
I think Mega Ampharos, design-wise, is the best looking among the other Mega.
>>
>>25654798
The thing is that mega evolutions would be fine if

A. They used it to boost Pokémon that were unusable competitively and sometimes even in-game (Ledian, Farfetch'd, etc.)

B. Actually had unique designs and concepts that made mega evolutions differ instead of just spikes everywhere

For example, for Blaziken (who was inevitably going to be given a mega evolution because it's a fan favorite and GF doesn't care about A), they could've made his mega evolution based on a headless chicken, with fire erupting from his head and his stats in Atk and Speed boosting greatly. This would've been a concept related to Blaziken's original, but been unique and memorable.

So far, GF has only gotten a few Pokémon right, such as in Medicham (a two-stager that got its concept and stats expanded on) but I really want a lot of mega evolutions to be reworked.

Especially Mega Aerodactyl.
>>
>>25654911
I agree.
>he gets back his wool
>it has become a well-groomed mane fit for a king
>>
>>25652186
>rather it was implemented terribly
There's no real way to implement the shameless powercreep that is mega evolution. Maybe if we didn't have more than 700 pokémon already, mega evolution would have been a cool concept but GF already did everything wrong by adding more useless and uninspired pokémon just to fill the quota. Basically everything went wrong after they decided to do the same thing over and over again in every generation. A smarter approach would be to modify pokémon stats in every gen and/or add alternate evolutions.
>>
>>25650353
For me mega evolutions feel like alternate designs or species variations. I think it would have been better if they had introduced it as that; something which alters the base stats of your Pokemon, maybe gives a unique move, depending on how you train it. There is some semblance of this, for example with Garchomp you can choose to use his mega and build him a certain way; or you can use classic Garchomp and build him the old way sans mega stone. It would also have justified some Pokemon having multiple megas.

Naturally it fell short of anything like that though; not only were there not enough megas, and no megas for the Pokemon that really needed them, but they're a fairly neat addition which make already overpowered favourites even more overpowered. They've given new life to some guys like Manectric and stuff, and I appreciate that, but they really could have handled them better. Also, all girls ever hate it. Fairy wasn't enough to even out the over-the-top nature of megas.
>>
>>25655145
In reality, only fully evolved Pokémon will ever get megas, so saying there's 700 Pokémon that can receive them is wrong.

The real way to implement mega evolution was to give them to shitmons, making them viable and more popular, but instead they were given to psuedos like Garchomp to pander to the people. That's why people say it's a good concept, but horribly executed.
>>
>>25655239
what the fuck do girls have to do with any of this
>>
>>25655259
I'm a girl btw
>>
>>25655310
again what the fuck do they have to do with any of this
>>
>>25654798
I want more branched evolution mons. Eevee, Tyrogue, Burmy, and the pokés with several evo stone possibilities.
>>
>>25655241
>so saying there's 700 Pokémon that can receive them is wrong
I never said that.
>The real way to implement mega evolution was to give them to shitmons, making them viable and more popular
No, that's just powercreep again. The worst idea you could implement. There were better solutions to the shitmon problem (better abilities, new moves, different stats, etc). From Gen 1 to Gen 2 they changed special stat from all pokémon. I'm pretty sure they could do the same with every new gen until there's a good balance but it's just asking too much from GF.
>>
>>25655353

Second.
>>
File: 1347315544790.gif (164 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1347315544790.gif
164 KB, 320x240
>>25654985
>Actually had unique designs and concepts that made mega evolutions differ instead of just spikes everywhere

You know this is bullshit, and I was gonna call you out, but then

>they could've made his mega evolution based on a headless chicken
>>
>>25651288
50 years? Isn't it like 5 or 6 years?
>>
Good concept but shit implementation.
Design wise, it's a mixed bag. You have great ones like Gyarados but shit ones like Sharpedo. There's also the fact that some should've been regular evos.

Competitively, some are absolutely overpowered and unnecessary like Fug and Mom. Others are underwhelming even for their niche like Audino.
>>
It feels too corny like some shonen anime, and most megas don't have a unique spin on the pokemon's concept other than giving it more spikes.
They also need to distribute more of them to shitmons like Beedrill and Pidgeot than Garchomp or Salamence.
>>
I don't really understand what purpose they serve over regular evolutions.

Feels like it exists just so some bitch can slap a wrist watch and pretend that it's meaningful.

The best thing about mega is that they don't absolutely ruin an evo line's good design with a shitmon evo a la Rhyperior.
>>
>>25656517
>I don't really understand what purpose they serve over regular evolutions.
>this game is entirely too balanced as it is, what we really need is every pokemon to be a mini mega rayquaza
is what I read
>>
>>25651242
>>digivolved
>>
>>25654816

This is such a bad idea. You want Gamefreak to have a competitive bias when deciding which pokemon get Megas. When half the fandom doesn't even really give a shit about things like Dunsparce and Ledian.
>>
>>25656490
But physical salamence isn't even half viable with how outclassed its gotten since gen3. The only way to satisfy oldfucks like me was to overhaul it as a special tank like dragonite used to be before it was overhauled too. Haven't played as mega salamence yet but it sounds way more awesome than getting my ass whooped with what should all intents and purposes be a perfectly viable physical tank salamence used to actually be
>>
I'm sick of all the Charizard pandering. Same with Mewtwo. Bitch all you want about Lucario, he wasn't given TWO Mega evos.
>>
>>25651547
Don't try to make sense of people.
Since gen 3 onwards people have been saying new pokemon are too 'digimon' when they don't like them.
>>
>>25650353
Great mechanic. Rather than buffing shitmons (which would I guess be preferable) they give Pokemon new forms that make them more powerful, like going Super Saiyan. Great fucking concept, plus it's marketable.

As far as the execution goes, it couldn't be worse. Fucking awful cancer. Maybe 1 or 2 decent designs tops, and even less for whom they decided to give Megas to. Beedrill, fine, starter Pokemon, fine. Fucking Mewtwo? Garchomp? The fuck? Not to mention fucking over guys like Mawile who could have used a standard evolution.
>>
>>25658632
Charizard is like the only case where it's justifiable. If you haven't been with Pokemon for more than one gen you won't understand, so let me run it down for you:

Charizard is shit. Charizard is terrible; almost unusable and has been since gen 2. Despite this, everything in-world explains that having and raising a Charizard is a feat and that he's a tough Pokemon. The anime says it, NPCs in the games say it, the TCG has it as one of the most powerful groups of cards. But it was literally never used except by furries and nostalgiafags pre-gen 6. At the very least Charizard's megas vindicate all these claims to Charizard's power; at best they make him finally able to live up to his name.
>>
>>25650353
It's a good idea and I'm sure I'ld be so hyped about it If I had these as a kid.
>>
>>25658941
The fact that Charizard was always seen as some sort of legendary badass for some reason (despite being a 5'3 lizardlet) was always bullshit. None of the other starters got that sort of praise
>>
>>25654985
>>25656490
>ctually had unique designs and concepts that made mega evolutions differ instead of just spikes everywhere
But that literally never happens outside Houndoom, Garchomp and Aerodactly. Dunno why you retards still keep regurgitating that meme. Like you keep regurgitating the meme that only good Pokemon got megas.
Most megas DO expand on concepts, like for example Mega Absol, and you hate it because you can't understand them even if they are super simple.
>>
>>25655353

So just Digimon
>>
>>25658973
Blastoise, Venusaur and Mewtwo did, but not quite to the extent as Charizard. Probably because they actually were more usable right up through gen 4. Mewtwo only really got fucked by the introduction of Dark type but he's still God anyway.
>>
We've opened the pandora's box of power creep.
>>
>>25650353
They are just like alternate forms but even more unnecessary. Maybe it's a gimmik that won't last much longer.
>>
Like all that gens designs is shit
>>
File: 1409679255848.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1409679255848.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>25658636
>Fucking Mewtwo? Garchomp?

Yeah because mega mewtwo and chomp are so fucking powerful right? It's not like they're actually WORSE than their regular forms.

This is why "only shitmons should get megas" is fucking bullshit. Shitmon megas are the MOST broken while stronger mon megas like Tyranitar and Blaziken tend to actually be a downgrade, or an alternate build.

Also, Mega Mawile is much stronger than any regular Mawile evo would have been. You should be thankful you fucking ingrate.
>>
Megas could have been cool, if it would boost shitmons so that you actually could make a use of them and if it wouldn't boost actual good pokemon and maybe just switch their stats a bit.

The idea of max friendship to transform them into megas isn't that bad either. You could even make them permanently to emphasize the relationship between trainer and pokemon.
>>
>>25650909
>r and 1/2 stage mons should have gotten an evolution instead of a mega

I wish ugly as sin Magmortar and Lickylicky were just Megas desu...
>>
>>25661042
>if it would boost shitmons so that you actually could make a use of them and if it wouldn't boost actual good pokemon

that is literally what it fucking did. read the post above you.
>>
>>25661074
The stupid thing is that you have to mega evolve them all the time. When you have a shitty pokemon in your team that wouldn't be useful otherwise, mega evolving it isn't that much of a last trump they intended it to be.

Its tedious.
>>
>>25661179

>megas should make shit pokemon good!
>shit pokemon should be good without megas!

wew lad
>>
>>25661256
>shit pokemon should be good without megas!

Are you retarded? I didn't say that at all.
>>
>>25654798
Exactly how I feel.
>>
>>25650353
Personally I think it needs some kind of limit.
>>
>>25661179
>mega evolving it isn't that much of a last trump they intended it to be.
It wasn't meant to be a trump card. It was literally meant to be cross gen evos but not permanent.
Hell the reason they made them is because people didn't like the whole no old pokemon thing in black and white and also complained about the ugly cross gens in gen 4.

That and to make fairly bade pokemon good which it succeeded at seeing as the majority of pokemon to get them were shit before or due to the changes made in X and Y.
>>
>>25660989
>Also, Mega Mawile is much stronger than any regular Mawile evo would have been.
Not only that but it's now one of the strongest pokemon in the game now, also has access to a priority move and was given Fairy for some extra resistances and a dragon immunity. Mawile was buffed a lot this gen.
>>
I'd be more willing to accept them if they were permanent instead of battle only. They exist in this weird limbo.
>>
>>25663571
>permanent
How about no?
Did you learn nothing from mega Ray?
>>
Mega evolutions are fine in concept, as some are used to give some pokemon a new lease in life due to power creep and the fact that they can't evolve anymore.

But things that could still evolve got megas and now will never have a standard evolution. Gamefreak did a lot of B and needed to do more of A.
>>
>>25665150
Precisely this. In particular I'm kind of bummed about Mawile and Sableye, though it applies to others as well; while they'd be broken if they had the same stats/abilities as their megas do (because they now also don't take up a mega slot and can hold an item on top of their current power), but Pokemon like that with low stats and plenty of "room" in their line would really benefit from just a regular evolution, I think, and not just the aforementioned examples.

Also, Sableye + Eviolite = ridiculous, most likely.
>>
>>25650442
>Implying Mawile and Absol would get actual evos if they didn't get megas.
>>
>>25650442
>mega garchomp is stronger than regular garchomp
>metagross and salamence in their base forms are good

'no'
>>
File: Ash_Snorlax_Mega_Punch.png (320 KB, 882x661) Image search: [Google]
Ash_Snorlax_Mega_Punch.png
320 KB, 882x661
Gamefreak please God I swear this is the only time I actually WANT you to remove a core feature of the newest game

O-Or at least give it to a Pokemon I like ;_;
>>
Breathing new life into old shitty Pokemon was a great idea but they implemented it like shit, very few megas put pokemon right where they needed to be (Charizard). And too many either are still shit (Audino) or too good (Salamence).
>>
>>25660989
Gengar was already good and Mega Gengar's absurd.
>>
>>25665449
this post sums up how i feel about everyone who hates mega-evos
>>
>>25665759
This. Blastoise fag here as well and compared to the other first gen starters they really fucked over blastoise, let's give him an ability that increases only special moves and give him his biggest boost in physical attack. Makes sense.
>>
>>25650353
It's an interesting mechanic that changes the way battles work, looking at a team roster on showdown you don't know exactly what's going to be the biggest threat anymore, so I like it

... In competitive play

In regular playthroughs it just means that your Pokemon are even more op, see oras, and that the champion has a mega, pretty poorly implemented if you ask me.
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.