[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've just started replaying X with the Exp. Share turned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 312x162) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 312x162
I've just started replaying X with the Exp. Share turned off. Can I expect difficulty comparable to the older games or am I in for a bad time?
>>
>>25649150
You should be perfectly fine
>>
>>25649150
Well, if you don't use the exp share, don't grind and play in 'set' AND don't use megas... then yeah, the game can be more challenging. Mostly because you'll be underleveled towards the end.
>>
>>25649150
>Can I expect difficulty comparable to the older games

No. You're older, smarter, and more experienced with the series than last time you played. Each time you play, that effect increases. If each successive game wasn't easier for you, there'd be something wrong with you.
>>
File: 1458132522407.png (351 KB, 972x844) Image search: [Google]
1458132522407.png
351 KB, 972x844
>>25649150
I'm doing the same. The game is considerably more tough when you don't use the exp share. Also for added challenge, don't grind on wild pokemon and only fight them when it's an unavoidable encounter - i.e. if you're walking and just happen to get an encounter.

Also no megas is a given. After all that, the game can actually be pretty fun.
>>
Most of the difficulty in Pokemon only arises from luck and hoping the RNG goes in your favor. That's why the flat-level battles are always harder than anything where you can level up to account for other weaknesses. If you want a real challenge, try the Frontier/Maison stuff.

If you really just want the story to be a challenge, then set rules for which mons you use. Do a monotype team or only use NFE stuff.
>>
>>25649150
Just 3 tips for XY:
>Turn Exp. Share OFF
>Don't equip Lucky Eggs
>Try to don't grind too much (besides, maybe, trying to make a new capture more balanced with your team)
>>
>>25649167
This makes the game pretty fun. The double furfrou double battle and machoke mr. mime double battle will fuck you up.
>>
>>25649150

No, it's not going to magically get harder if you don't use the exp share. Try not grinding, changing battle style to set, and limiting WHEN pokemon can evolve; say first stages can evolve at four badges, and second stages can evolve after you defeat team flare. Use soft nuzlocke rules maybe.

Pokemon games really aren't very hard unless you have no idea what you're doing or you're intentionally gimping yourself. And really, there's nothing wrong with self imposed video game challenges, people have been doing them for years, and it makes them play differently.
>>
>>25649150
>Can I expect difficulty comparable to the older games or am I in for a bad time?

You can expect """"difficulty"""" like in Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova, but dont expect anything on par with Johto and Kanto
>>
File: 1454180291056.gif (220 KB, 320x238) Image search: [Google]
1454180291056.gif
220 KB, 320x238
>>25649251
>Johto and Kanto
>he really thinks older games were harder
Looks like someone hasn't played gen 1 and 2 in a while. Yeah, these level 40 trainers using Tackle and having 0 coverage in their pokemon are such a challenge. Sabrina's Mr Mime knows Double Slap! Better watch out for that!
>>
>>25649251
>Implying that RBY is hard
I replayed the e-shop rby and the game is kind of impractical in the start, but it's not hard like people remember.
I'm having a more hard time now replaying Platinum, the gym leaders are really giving a decent challenge.
>>
File: 1458069136103.jpg (24 KB, 478x507) Image search: [Google]
1458069136103.jpg
24 KB, 478x507
>>25649251
>but dont expect anything on par with Johto and Kanto

You haven't played those games since you were a kid, huh anon?
>>
>>25649188

I recently replayed Emerald and I was VERY surprised on how tough some of the gym battles were. Even the trainers in Norman's gym wrecked me with Facade (I think?) Vigoroth and Belly Drum sets.
Even Tate and Liza gave me a surprising run for my money as I'd assumed a Surf would KO them, but then their Claydol used a Sunny Day and started spamming Solarbeams on my Swampert.

I also got my very first white out since I was 5 a month ago on my first time playing White (blind) as Ghetsis's Hydreigon OHKO'd my entire team aside from Samurott (who was getting hit >50% so I was still left spamming Full Restores).

Playing those in parallel to X/Y/OR makes me realise just how easy this shit has become.
>>
Pokemon was never ever difficult.
>>
>>25649150

No. It'll still be easy.
>>
>>25649436
I think that everything before gen 3 also possibly had another layer of difficulty because the phys/spec split hadn't happened yet. Not that that was a good thing. Honestly, I prefer having the split at the sacrifice of a bit of difficulty.
>>
>>25649496
Whoops. Before gen 4, I meant.
>>
File: easy tbh.png (72 KB, 787x622) Image search: [Google]
easy tbh.png
72 KB, 787x622
>>25649251
>Kanto
>hard
Who created this meme and why is it so popular
>>
>>25649496

Yeah but I'm well aware of Phys/Spec split. My Swampert was mixed nature and had about samey Att/SpA but holy shit I wasn't expecting actual resistance from the gyms. I'm doing my first playthrough of OR and I'm OHKO'ing every Pokémon with my Torchic/Combusken.
Whoever tells you that the only difference between Gen III and VI's Hoenn is personal experience and metagame knowledge is bullshitting.
>>
>>25649496
No, trust me, Gen 1 and 2 are the easiest by far, outdated mechanics or not. I'm currently playing through Blue and I played Silver recently. Gen 2 slightly less so than Gen 1, but even if you actually used Lati@s in ORAS, it doesn't begin to compare to RBY. The enemy movesets and AI are laughably terrible. Anyone who says Gen 1 is anything but the easiest gen hasn't played it since they were 5 years old.
>>
File: please save me.png (2 KB, 75x75) Image search: [Google]
please save me.png
2 KB, 75x75
>>25649541
>>
>>25649547
Gen 4 was the hardest.
>>
>>25649547

This is true. Gengar solo can wreck just about anything as almost nothing carries diverse movepools. Lance literally can't touch a Gengar once his Gyarados's down.

That said, Gen II can be tough, at times. Claire's Kingdra is a hard nut and it spams Surfs.
>>
>>25649547
Agreed, but Gen 1 does have some difficulty because of how broken some of the shit in Gen 1 is. Firered is loads easier than Red because of this.
>>
File: fucking kill me.jpg (3 KB, 125x99) Image search: [Google]
fucking kill me.jpg
3 KB, 125x99
>>25649558
>>25649541
Exeggutor was a mistake.
>>
>>25649541
Gen 1 nuzlockes are rather hard, since everything can crit and any attack can miss.
>>
>>25649150
>Can I expect difficulty comparable to the older games or am I in for a bad time?
Yes. That is no difficulty whatsoever. Anyone claiming they had difficulty in any pokemon game are idiots, self-imposed difficulty obviously doesn't count. The most difficult a pokemon game has ever been was Challenge mode in BW2 and even then it wasn't anything special, although I would welcome the option back in future games.
>>
>>25649586
Of course nuzlockes are hard, its what they were created for; to increase the difficulty of the game. But I can give you the point about crits, the whole speed thing made Persian broken
>>
>>25649436
>he didn't use Blaziken or Breloom in Norman's gym
It's like you were asking to get your ass handed to you… Oh wait…
>>
File: 1411408236998.jpg (69 KB, 800x714) Image search: [Google]
1411408236998.jpg
69 KB, 800x714
>>25649150
>Pokemon
>difficulty
>>
>>25649641
I passed it just fine, I just wasn't expecting getting KO'd by trainers leading up to Norman.
Tate & Liza were the only leaders that actually gave me trouble, as I wasn't anticipating Sunny Days.
And I did have a Shroomish but I kept it from evolving since I wanted Spore.
>>
>>25649228
>machoke mr. mime
Hot couple
>>
>>25649564
Gen 2 is definitely less easy than Gen 1 because the learnsets are better and NPCs aren't stuck with 40 - 60 base power moves at the end of the game. It's still really no harder than modern games, though. Enemies still don't have much coverage. Clair has somewhat varied movesets, and Chuck has a water type with Surf. But most of the rest just use normal and their own type like in Gen 1.

>>25649566
Not really. Psychics having no real counter and bugs being useless are pretty much the only issues. But they went out of their way to make Sabrina not as much of a threat as she could have been by making her signature move Psybeam instead of Psychic, making her Mr Mime spam Double Slap, and giving her a Venomoth out of nowhere for whatever reason. Having even a halfway decent moveset makes you a god among men.
>>
I played through X with no Exp. Share, no grinding and only fighting obligatory trainers and it was pretty challenging.
>>
Here's the REAL way to play:

- turn Exp. Share on/off depending on if you're at equal levels with other trainers
- no megas

I turn the Exp. Share on/off just to stay around the level of trainers. If you start going over, just turn it off, and if/when you fall behind, you don't want to have to grind. And no megas will make it tough, though I'm currently playing X with a team of Greninja/Gogoat/Hawlucha/Goodra/Heliolisk/Aegislash so sometimes you won't get a choice to use a mega.

I personally don't see why Exp. Share has to be seen as a bad thing. Use it when you're under leveled and turn it off when you're not.
>>
>>25649150
If you set the battle style to set in addition to that it will be decently challenging. If you don't grind (I don't do it because it's irritating, not really to challenge myself) then you will pretty consistently be around 5-10 levels behind gym leaders and such by the halfway point of the game. I had a bit more trouble than I expect most people will though because the Pokemon I chose either had fucking garbage movesets or did not evolve until the late 30's. (Houndoom's only fucking special move until like level 40 is Smog are you fucking kidding me.) Overall it is not too bad, at least in terms of battles. Unfortunately nothing you can do will make the route/cave design any more challenging, so enjoy the few decent dungeons the game has (the mirror based cave is kind of cool, for instance) and try to ignore how garbagey some of them are (Pokeball factory/Power Plant suck major dick, what a waste.)
>>
>>25649228
Yo that double furfrou battle is a goddamn dicking I'll tell you what. Also that kid with the level 13 Kadabra can be kind of a pain in the ass.
>>
It's still easier unless you shoot yourself in the foot further and don't use megas.
>>
>>25649150
Its a Pokemon game.

It is literally impossible for it to have any sort of semblance of difficulty.
>>
>>25649150
youll be fine
>>
>>25649150
No. And the old games were never difficult. You were either inexperienced or a child.
>>
File: 1372359114786.gif (194 KB, 477x456) Image search: [Google]
1372359114786.gif
194 KB, 477x456
>it's a thread where underagefags try to deny that literally any other gen is harder than gen 6
>it's a thread where illiterate retards equate "more difficult" with "difficult"
>>
>>25650210
>it's another thread where people can think any mainline Pokemon game can ever have any sort of challenge whatsoever

Show me a difficult mainline Pokemon game. Any one. Even romhacks.
>>
>>25650222
Drayano hacks.

Meme Sapphire and whatever shit they made for G6.[/spoiler]
>>
>>25649150
I got done with it this night for the second time.
Then again, my first run was with that shit thing off because I dont need my VM Niggerslave to get EXP.

X/Y are laughably easy in that most trainers have shit pokemon and by far not enough of them. I had 2 pokemon who wrecked my shit every time I encountered them, which were Mienshao and the Guardevoir Mega the champ had. Both went to shit once I sacrificed my Jolteon to get a Thunder Wave off.

If you want it difficult, try the following things:

>>25649167
>play in SET
this anyways, every time please, or are you a scrub?

- don't use your starter after you catch your first kinda legit pokemon, box it after the other one can stand for itself
- don't use the legendaries
- don't use megas

It's still easy enough, so here's X hard mode for you

- don't carry a Fairy Counter (anything which is hit at least neutral by Fairy and has something very effective)
- Don't use Lucario (too much versatility)

If you look for even further depths, go nutzlocke.
>>
>>25650222
>>it's a thread where illiterate retards equate "more difficult" with "difficult"

You're doing it again!
>>
File: 1420580973014.jpg (11 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1420580973014.jpg
11 KB, 251x251
>>25649779
why would you be underleveled if you're not a total scrublord?

I beat the champion 5:0 with my lvl 55 Vaporeon because that monster tanks Thunder like a champ. Until that fucking Mega-Cunt came out.
>>
>>25649150
Easier than most games but harder than gen 1 and 2.
>>
>>25649251
>but dont expect anything on par with Johto and Kanto
Let's be honest here, with all the issues Gen 1 and 2 had it was easy as fuck to accidentally abuse unless you already know what you're doing.
The only semi difficult thing might be if you're new and don't really know where to go even then the rest of the game is easy as absolute piss.
>>
File: Colosseum.png (174 KB, 250x350) Image search: [Google]
Colosseum.png
174 KB, 250x350
This game was pretty tough.

>all that grinding
>trying to catch the Pokemon on your first try without using Mirror B's Colosseum matches
>>
>>25650251
>hacking the game for difficulty
Heads up, that's not a mainline game.
>>
>>25650635
>Even romhacks

try reading the conversation next time
>>
>>25650629
The only game that was really challenging.
Aside from this it's just rom hack games.

I have hard time understanding what difficulty mean for most of you, in most of my game i rolled everything with an overpowered starter, the main legendary, TM slaves, and one good poke max.
>>
>>25649150
Expect a really bad time in some trainers.
Mainly on double battles and sky battles.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.