[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
mega evolution mechanics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
why doesn't mega evolution have more interesting mechanics? as it is, there's never any reason not to mega the first chance you get. i feel like they really missed a chance to do something more interesting with it.

for example there could be a bar that you have to charge up by doing enough damage or whatever before you can mega evolve. or maybe you can only mega after your health goes to red or something. it could be different for different species. just something to make it feel more dramatic and exciting, more like a super form.
>>
File: Eh....jpg (61 KB, 1057x591) Image search: [Google]
Eh....jpg
61 KB, 1057x591
>>25647606
>charge up by doing enough damage or whatever before you can mega evolve
It would be horrible for mons with low defense and shit attack like Beedrill
>or maybe you can only mega after your health goes to red or something
It would be horrible for mons with low defense and shit attack like Beedrill----------
>>
Because competitive autists flail the first chance they get when story hinders the gameplay

That said, the mechanics themselves are fine the way they are. Trying to get creative might devalue Megas into being a little unusable. They're supposed to be served for Ace Pokemon on your team, the biggest bros of bros that you can rely on through thick and thin and your personal trump card

But the way the game is programmed, and the way the community see it is that it's just another Pokemon to use but with an engine built-in clause
>>
At the very least the transformation should take a whole turn itself.
>>
>as it is, there's never any reason not to mega the first chance you get

Thats not true, for Pokemon whose ability changes or whose type changes, or whose speed gets lower, many times will there be times where you choose to not Mega Evolve yet. For example, a Gyarados vs a fighting type. You might want to keep it's flying typing for now (which resists fighting) rather than turning it into it's Mega Dark type (which is weak to fighting).
>>
>>25647606
>there's never any reason not to mega the first chance you get
stop using boring megas
>>
>>25647643
>>25647642
fuck off
>>
>>25647620
To complement, try to make it gimmicky like you want that would be the true waste, it would be hard and almost impossible for some mons mega evolve, it would be kind of cool for the in-game, but extremely horrible for multiplayer PvP.

>>25647629
This literally would make all the megas be useless. This was highly questioned when megas were revealed, if this was the case, nobody would use a Mega (or rarely would use one).
>>
>>25647624
>Trying to get creative might devalue Megas into being a little unusable.
I would be okay with this. In the current mega every team basically has to have a mega which is pretty boring
>>
>>25647649
I wouldn't say completely useless, but it does open the Pokemon up to suffering some severe case of sitting duck

In which case it would be the same thing as it was before. Better mons are more viable, shitmons aren't
>>
>>25647654
current meta*
>>
>>25647654
Well that's what happens when you fight boring, cookie-cutter, soulless competitive. Good mons will be good, shitmons will be shit. Even if the shitmon gets a good Mega it'll still be used

If you want to be the very best you'll see higher tier stuff no matter what just because people want to win. And that's the point of fighting in the first place. Nobody can't have perfectly balanced and viable metagame with the piece of shit we have

Just like Alakazam, just like Skarmbliss, just like Calm Mind Suicune, just like Garchomp, just like Politoed
>>
I don't know. All I know is that this stone business needs to be cleaned up before the entire world is covered in Mega Stones. I have no idea how it could be balanced for pvp. This feature seems like it was primarily thought up for lore reasons. Nothing about it would be conducive to competitive at all, it enforces power creep and centralizes the meta. As much as they say it does, it fundamentally was not meant for balance.
>>
>>25647654
>In the current meta every team basically has to have a mega which is pretty boring
I don't think so, you could say that a Mega is your "Ace" since you can only have one, it's cool for me.
>>
>>25647681
What made you think?

Honestly it was the moment Game Freak made up the excuse that Mega Fug ate her Mega Stone so she's able to Mega Evolve as long as she knew her signature move you were going to have her know anyway
>>
>>25647681
>>25647711
A important detail is that having to hold a mega stone is what makes the Megas a bit more balanced, the reason why fug is a demon is because it can mega evolve AND hold a item.

While I think that collecting over 100 Mega stones in a region is a bit absurd to think about, they still should hold things (maybe a universal Mega stone?).
>>
I think changing the mechanics of megas would be a mistake, for slower pokemon being a mega in red health is pointless. Outputting a set amount of damage before mega evolving sounds interesting, but I think the point of megas like >>25647624 said is that Megas are kind of a trump card if you're down and out in a battle.

I love how Mega Sableye basically has two abilities once it mega evolves. It still keeps Prankster, but Magic Bounce will activate if someone tries to use a status move on it. That's one of the little quirks of the current mechanics that I like.
>>
>>25647740
Make them eat their Mega Stones like Fug and have them wander around with it wriggling in their bellies ready to Mega Evolve as soon as the opportunity presents itself

I think some new signature moves would be cool for each Pokemon too. Like an Iron Jaw for Mawile that's got 100bp or something along those lines, but that involves creating a bunch of signature moves than what there already are
>>
>>25647647
he's right though.

regenerator slowbro loses regenerator when it mega evolves.

sableye loses prankster when it mega evolves.

just a couple examples of how not all pokemon are better off mega evolving asap.
>>
>>25647740
they're going to do away with mega stones though

it's going to be something more akin to synergy bursts in Pokken Tournament. Just look at the Synergy Stone the Mewtwo girl uses to try to calm mewtwo. The stone looks like the stones that can be seen in the Japanese titles for Sun & Moon.
>>
>>25647759
>It still keeps Prankster,

No it doesn't what the fuck are you talking about.
>>
>>25647820
On the turn Sableye Mega Evolves, Prankster determines the priority of Sableye's move

Afterwards it becomes Magic Bounce
>>
>>25647820
On the first turn it Mega evolves.
>>
If you ask me, their reason for limiting Megas was invalid to start with. In normal battle, we could have a full team of legends, or other things that are just as bad as legends. Even tournament rules still allow some of them. I say it makes no difference.
>>
>mega Lopunny loses Klutz
Who cares about high jump miss
>>
>>25647860
Klutz+Entrainment isn't necessary when the Pokemon can actually hurt something
>>
>>25647922
But want to see them squirm
>>
What if a Pokemon only Mega Evolved on its turn? Like, if a Pokemon outspeeds it, it'll hit at the lower defenses, and your Pokemon only M-Evolves after its attack?

>suddenly Mega Kangaskhan is balanced
>>
>>25648601
Does mega evolution have priority?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.