[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pikachu, lucario, charizard and blazekin are pokemon that lots
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 15
Pikachu, lucario, charizard and blazekin are pokemon that lots of people love as they are mascotmons. Pikachu libre was voted in by south korea. Gengar was voted in by some other asian country. Gardevoir is a waifumon that lots of people love. Machamp is a perfect pick for a pokemon fighting game. Mewtwo was added as it is relevent to the story and is loved by many. Shadow mewtwo was added as every fighting game with a story has a bad guy you have to beat and can play as. The rest of the roster are good niche picks that most of you faggots seem happy with.
Stop complaining about the fucking roater, its a good roster and a good game.
>>
Its a bad roster and a good game*
>>
>>25646758
It's not a roster I like, which is my problem with it.
>>
File: 1458329310685.jpg (9 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1458329310685.jpg
9 KB, 256x256
>>25646758
Sounds like you have some buyer's remorse that you're trying to justify OP.

What happened? Is the realization that the roster is utter shit starting to kick in?
>>
>>25646811
My weavile, machamp, garchomp, gardevoir, mewtwo and gengar are all in my top 15 favorite pokemon. I love the roster.
>>
>>25646758
>Pikachu libre was voted in by south korea.
No such thing ever happened.

You got memed on by /v/
>>
File: 1458119953658.png (219 KB, 408x469) Image search: [Google]
1458119953658.png
219 KB, 408x469
>>25646849
>Top 15
>There's more pokemon on your list than there are in the game
>>
>>25646914
at least theres more fighters than SFV
>>
>>25646951
>More characters than SFV
>SFV has 16 characters, 4 coming as free DLC
>Pokken has 14 characters, DLC confirmed not happening

Yea, keep telling yourself that, buddy.
>>
Is Weavile in Pokken Tournament male or female? This is important.
>>
>>25647032
Male.
>>
>>25647013
Aren't characters like Ryu and Ken essentially palette swaps with a few different properties?
>>
>>25647013
Sounds like someone is angry they bought an unfinished game
>>
>>25647067
Didn't buy it, faggot. I don't like SF. I just saw someone justifying their shitty purchase by stating factual inaccuracies, so I felt the need to correct him.
>>
>>25647066
aren't shadow mewtwo, mewtwo,pikachu libre and pikachu essentially palatte swaps with a few different properties?
>>
>>25647284
Well the movesets are different, but my point was anon was not counting them as characters but seemed to be counting the Ryu/Ken shit as separate characters.
>>
>>25647289
Actually, I did count them as characters. If I didn't, then the roster would go from 14 down to 12. So I was being generous. I applied the same generosity to SFV's roster.

The latter still has more.
>>
>>25647323
>Charizard
>Pikachu
>Pikachu-Libre
>Machamp
>Gengar
>Mewtwo
>Shadow Mewtwo
>Suicune
>Sceptile
>Blaziken
>Gardevoir
>Garchomp
>Lucario
>Weavile
>Chandelure
>Braixen

That's 16.
>>
It's not a BAD roster, but it's not a GOOD one either.

Pikachu Libre instead of Hawlucha is upsetting. We probably should have gotten more fighting types in general - one of the Hitmons, Hariyama would have been cool and, I'm just gonna say it, no Greninja seems like a weird decision.
>>
>>25647344
Shit, I'll concede, I counted wrong then. My point still stands, though.
>>
>>25647355
Yeah, SFV's roster will be bigger with the DLC. I'm not at all a fan of Pokken's roster, I was just playing devil's advocate.
>>
the only ones i like are weavile and machamp
in a perfect world electivire and dusknoir would be there
>>
>>25647372
Fair enough. To be honest, I wanted to like Pokken. But when you have over 700 potential pokemon, narrowing the roster down to 16 is incredibly underwhelming, especially when some of them are just reskins. I'm not asking for 700 characters, but somewhere in the range of 25-30 would have been nice.

Also that switching between field mode and duel mode stuff is an abysmal design choice. If they had just picked one and stuck with it, rather than making 2 movesets and seperate mechanics for each character, we would have without a doubt gotten a bigger roster.

All in all I believe in voting with my wallet, and this poorly designed, bare-bones game is not something that I would support.
>>
>>25647013
Honestly even just 4 dlc characters could really improve the smash roster.

>Heracross/Scizor for bug rep
>Tyranitar/Tyrantrum for rock rep
>Kangaskhan/Snorlax/Smeargle/Ambipom for normal rep
>Swampert/Geninja for water starter rep
>>
>>25647416
>smash
Meant Pokken, of course.
>>
>>25647413
>Also that switching between field mode and duel mode stuff is an abysmal design choice.
Disagree, it's the only thing keeping pokken relevant because it's something other fighting games don't have.
>>
File: 1458341413719.png (58 KB, 298x251) Image search: [Google]
1458341413719.png
58 KB, 298x251
>>25647416
Yep

>3 fire starter reps
>1 grass starter rep
>0 water starter reps
>Pikachu libre instead of Hawlucha
>2 Mewtwos
>Only around half the types are represented

What the fuck were they thinking?
>>
>>25647413
Why is field and duel a bad design choice. It reduces range spamming, stops people from winning games by pushing people up against walls and combolocking them and it adds another level of strategy to the game. At first i thought it was bad too but when you actually play pokken you can see how well designed it is. Actually all the mechanics are well designed desu, it doesnt make up for the small roster but it at least makes me feel a little better about it.
>>
>>25647434
>Only around half the types are represented

Every type is represented except for Bug, Rock, and Normal anon.
>>
>>25647422
Yeah, but different doesn't mean better in this case. The game constantly flip-flops between two play styles and it makes it so much more annoying to play, especially if you have a preference towards one over the other.

And like I said, it undoubtedly cost must more development time per character, and probably cut the potential roster size in half as a result.

Man, it's a fucking pokemon fighting game. Staying relevant is the least of their worries.
>>
>>25647438
Sure, but I'm talking primary types, really. I don't think Lucario or Gardevoir aptly represent fairy or steel at all. I want a predominantly Fairy and Steel type. I don't know I can really explain it any better than that. Hell, even Garchomp doesn't feel like an appropriate ground type rep to me. I want to play as something like Excadrill or Krookodile.
>>
>>25647066
>few

At a glance yes, in practice Ken is suited towards being closer

Other shotos have different approaches to how you play them, Akuma is much more technical
>>
>>25647413
That issue I feel applies to the main games too where you can't even use 1% of the Pokedex anymore
>>
>>25646758
>Pikachu libre was voted in by south korea
Fucking Koreans always voting for shit characters
>>
>>25647455
>The game constantly flip-flops between two play styles and it makes it so much more annoying to play, especially if you have a preference towards one over the other.
That's why you keep it in your preferred mode. After all certain attacks and grabs instantly change it.

Basically it's a matter of gittin gud.
>>
>>25647697
For one thing, you can't control what your opponent will do, so you can only prevent so much.

For another thing, why should I limit what moves I use simply because the devs couldn't settle on a gameplay style?
>>
No, the roster sucks. 60 dollars for 14 playable pokemon. I don't care that a bunch of other people I do not know or care about like Gardevoir or voted in Chandelure, I don't care. I don't give a shit about those people, or those pokemon. Pikachu Libre is indefensible, a lot of people really like that character but that doesn't change the fact that you could take her moveset, take off the electricity particles and give the same moveset to Hawlucha instead.

I don't have to pay money to play as other peoples favorites anon, that isn't how it works. If it doesn't appeal to me personally, the guy spending money on the game to supposedly spend many many hours playing it, then I don't want it. If Gengar is your favorite pokemon and you want to main him then fine, more power to you, go ahead. That has nothing to do with me or my tastes. Just know that roster discussion will never go away with this game. Its been going on with smash bros for nearly 20 years now and shows no sign of slowing down even with 58 characters in the game, instead of this games 14.

Many, many people are skipping out on this game because of the roster. Accept it. Its a fan service game. If it didn't feature pokemon and featured fighting humans instead, neither of us would be talking about it. Its entire selling platform is to have our favorite pokemon in it, and for many, many people, the game has failed at that.
>>
File: garchomp_pokken.png (143 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
garchomp_pokken.png
143 KB, 850x850
>>25647483
See, after playing Garchomp (and maining him) I feel exactly the opposite. I feel like his Ground type status is a big factor in why he was the pseudo chosen. Dig, Sand Tomb, Earthquake, and the like all make him feel very different from just being a beast-mode Dragon. It's a lot of fun. And that Stone Edge counterattack? Yum.
>>
File: 1440717220756.png (215 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1440717220756.png
215 KB, 900x900
>>25647483
No, you make a lot of sense, anon. Some Pokemon represent their dual typing very well, like say, Skarmory or Blaziken. People have been debating why the hell Lucario is part Steel for ages, I think /vp/ agreed that he had steel bones or some shit but it's not a very satisfying answer as the Aura makes him feel more like a psychic type. Chances are GF just made him part steel to maximize his use that gen so they could shill him even further thanks to having unique typing. The same applies to Gardevoir as being part Fairy was likely just a buff to make her Mega stronger. People saying Lucario represents steel Pokemon are just trying to cop out for Pokken's bad roster, Pokemon like Metagross, Mawile or Registeel would've made a far better Steel type than Lucario.
>>25647721
>"I'm bad at this game and it's the devs fault"
You sound like such a fucking child anon.
>>
>>25647829
>I'm bad at this game

Haven't even played the game, man. I just see the switching system as something that took away from the overall experience and it's the biggest factor preventing me from wanting to buy it. I also don't agree with the logic that "Oh, you don't like a certain part of this game's mechanics? You must be bad at this game." I do see the mechanic as something negative, and I also see it as something that harmed the potential for the roster. I haven't really heard any defenses for it that are good enough for me. I've tried the demo out at gamestop and the whole thing just feels like a nuisance. Honestly, man. Maybe it's just me.
>>
I was so fucking pissed when Heracross was revealed as just a support mon.

They could have done a lot. Megahorn, Pin Missile, Superpower...
>>
File: 1452951031659.png (53 KB, 209x216) Image search: [Google]
1452951031659.png
53 KB, 209x216
>>25647733
This.
They made safe choices like Charizard and Mewtwo but seemed to forget there are a massive amount of fans who simply don't care about these Pokemon anymore and would much rather have ones like Aggron, Heracross, Voacrona, Azumarill, Scolipede, Scrafty, honestly I could name Pokemon everyone would universally accept as a good roster pick.

If this game attempted at representing each type equally instead of trying to appeal to 12 year olds with four(4) fire type Pokemon, people wouldn't be so quick to shit on Pokken's roster, until then, it's garbage and I'm not interested.
>>
>>25647901
Heracross isn't a support mon.
>>
>>25647933
>>25647733
I feel like doubling the roster size is all it would have taken to be appealing. If each type got 2 reps, I'd say that there's a good chance that I'd be interested. That and if they canned pikachu libre and shadow mewtwo. Those fuckers don't count.
>>
>>25647933

Its even worse when you realize that since any DLC characters they introduce need to be sold individually, instead of packaged with the rest of the game. This means that any DLC characters they make need to appeal to absolutely everyone. Meaning we are likely to just get more "safe" picks like Greninja because of his popularity and his amiibo.

I would buy this game right now, today, if Ursaring, Skuntank, Slowking, Shedinja, Pyroar, or Blastoise were announced.

I understand my picks in particular are mostly niche besides Blastoise, and I accept that. The point is I know there at least tens of thousands of other people who feel the exact same way I do about the game. Maybe even hundreds of thousands of this games sales depend on who they add as DLC and such. Its a god damn shame. But if the most excited I get about any of the playable pokemon in the game is "Oh neat" then I'm not buying it.
>>
>>25647964

That's why when talking about the roster I say "14 playable pokemon" rather than "16 playable characters". To avoid the whole unique moveset shit people will throw at you. For some reason ignoring the fact that Shadow Mewtwo and Pikachu Libre's movesets could have been in the game anyways, except used on someone, somewhere out there's favorite pokemon that may now never get into the game at all.
>>
>>25647416

I really think they need 5 DLC characters to cover everything.

>Scizor for Bug is perfect. It's also a more proper Steel rep. (Does Lucario really count?)
>Tyranitar/Tyrantrum/Rhydon for Rock is good.
>Kangaskhan/Zangoose/Lopunny for Normal IMO. (Ambipom is kind of obscure, don't think Snorlax or Smeargle would work.)
>Greninja for Water starter. It's even in SSB, should've been a shoe-in.
>Garbodor as an oddball choice for Poison. (GENGAR DOESN'T COUNT.)
>>
>>25648009

Add Ursaring for a normal type rep, he's my most wanted pokemon in this game. He would make a good power type fighter and there is only one playable gen 1 type anyways.

Greninja being in smash is exactly why I don't want it in Pokken. It works perfectly fine in smash and I like it there, give a different pokemon a chance to shine. Personally I'd want Blastoise but in any case, don't give it to Greninja when there are plenty of cool other water types who don't get to be in a fighting game.

Fuck Garbodor as a poison rep. There is a "niche pick" and then there is purposely being a hipster. Garbodor is an extremely unpopular pokemon. Considering the only poison type in is Gengar, there is no reason to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Either Nido, Drapion, Muk, Skuntank, the list goes on and on for potential awesome poison types. Even Crobat would be cool, we don't have any pokemon that fight entirely from the air in Pokken. Oh and I can't possibly finish this post without bringing up Croagunk, I don't personally like it much but I would be very satisfied if that's who was chosen.
>>
File: 1443192009252.png (37 KB, 218x316) Image search: [Google]
1443192009252.png
37 KB, 218x316
>>25647979
You hit the nail on the head, anon, I've been holding out for Mawile since Pokken was revealed. They could have all the Pikachu outfits in, if my favorite made the cut, this game was a day 1 buy.
It's doubly frustrating because with picks like Charizard or Mewtwo, they're appealing to the genwun crowd, I.E, people that haven't played a mainline game in ~8 years so they literally don't know any other Pokemon. In this instance, why would they be interested in Pokken? We're at the point where people who hardly care about Pokemon get more fanservice than people who genuinely care about the franchise.
>>
>>25648077

I'm going to have to stop you at the gen 1 hate buddy. I've played Pokemon since it came to the west, I only skipped gen 4 because it was god awful but after gen 5 I went back and played through 4 anyways with a bunch of traded pokemon instead. Its totally unfair to assume that people who like gen 1 don't care about pokemon as a whole and are not "REAL" pokemon fans. Gen 1 is probably one of the more well liked gens in general and if anyone deserves a spot in this game besides Pikachu, its Mewtwo.

I really do not care for the knee jerk reaction to people enjoying gen 1 on this site. Assuming people who love gen 1 don't play any other pokemon games is silly. In fact, the people who played gen 1 as young children and are still here 20 years later are the very core of the fanbase I would say. Sure a lot of people dropped Pokemon along the way, but many of us are still here.
>>
File: best mon.png (53 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
best mon.png
53 KB, 250x250
>tfw your favorite pokemon doesn't have a shot in hell at getting in

A man can dream.
>>
>>25648137
This. This so much.
>>
>>25647979
>because of his amiibo
Fuck anyone who uses this argument.

Obviously it's hard for you to comprehend because you know nothing about the game you're shitting on aside from the screenshots you've seen on /vp/, but Amiibos do fuck all in Pokken.

A Greninja Amiibo does the exact same thing as a Mr. Game & Watch one does, and that will remain the same regardless of what Pokémon are added to the roster.
>>
>>25648063

Wasn't trying to be a "hipster". Garbodor is a very well known Pokemon, regardless of how, and I thought it'd really be a good pick for a niche fighter. Certainly more than Drapion and Skuntank, who nobody cares about either way. And Crobat, even for an oddball fighter, is just excessive.

Muk could also work though, and honestly I don't know how I didn't think of Toxicroak. Either Nido would've also been a great choice, except there's the issue of which one to pick. (And we REALLY do not need a fucking Ice Climbers type.)
>>
>>25648186

You make a lot of assumptions about people you've never met online, don't you? Starting your post off with "Fuck anyone who says x" is also a nice touch.

I know what amiibos do in Pokken. We are talking about DLC here. New content that isn't yet in the game. It is not out of the realm of possibility at all that they could announce Greninja as a playable character and say "If you scan your Greninja amiibo you get the character at a discount!" or "If you scan your Greninja amiibo you get an Ash Greninja costume FOR FREE!!". There is absolutely nothing stopping this from happening anon. Calm down.

You can't set a precedent for DLC when none has ever been made, shown, or announced for this game before.
>>
File: interestingchoices.png (426 KB, 979x663) Image search: [Google]
interestingchoices.png
426 KB, 979x663
>>25646758
I complain about the roster because that roster is SHIT in my opinion. I'm a Pokemon fan as much as anyone, and my opinion is as valid as yours.

Currently, the roster is made only to sell the game easier, not to offer fighters that could be innovative in a fighting game. I prefer medium roster of species that, even without being my favorites, were fighters wasn't possible to see in Street Fighter, Tekken or even Smash Bros.
>>
>>25648248

To be honest if they went the Nido route they should have both characters share a moveset and have Nidoqueen be an alternate costume. I know they are not exactly the same in game but its Pokken here, not all fully evolved pokemon will ever be in the game. And if its down to one of the Nidos being excluded or both of them being in the game, the costume thing is the obvious choice as far as I can see.

I agree with you that Skuntank and Drapion are probably not well liked or cared about like Garbodor, but you see my point I guess. Even excluding them there are many better poison types you could pick for this game, simply because as of right now, you can pretty much pick from any of them. Since none are in the game.
>>
>>25648137
You're way too paranoid to the point of assuming things he didn't even say. You're not a genwunner, you're a gen 1 fan, there's a big difference. The guy is strictly talking about genwunners.
>>
>>25646951
And everyone complains about SFV. It's an unfinished game with a shit roster, frame rate drops, and no story.

What's your point exactly?
>>
>>25648298

He said they were appealing to genwunners. What is the difference between appealing to genwunners and appealing to gen 1 fans? There isn't. Both of us like the same pokemon.

And even if that doesn't apply specifically to him, which I still think it does, it applies to /vp/ as a whole. I've been here long enough to know that people love to shit on gen 1 all the time for absolutely no other reason then to prove how much they are REAL pokemon fans. Its very childish.
>>
File: 1458340351982.jpg (13 KB, 244x207) Image search: [Google]
1458340351982.jpg
13 KB, 244x207
>>25648271
>No Reuniclus
>No Cofagrigus
>No Malamar
>No Vespiquen
>tfw
>>
>>25648349
Pic is a list of Pokemon that would be awesome fighters and probably never will have the opportunity to be it because are unpopular or because people thinks fighters can only be anthropomorphic things.
>>
>>25648331
See, you're extremely paranoid. The difference is that genwunners don't even like or care about the game, they're the people that pretended to like Pokemon because it was extremely popular back then, and the vast majority of them didn't even play the games, they only watched the anime. Also, they won't even play Pokken or anything related to Pokemon as a whole because it isn't cool anymore.
>>
>>25648249
While I agree nobody can guess what the DLC will bring, I think it's a pretty safe bet that all that shit you just said will definitely NOT happen.

I think Greninja is certainly a likely choice. One of THE most likely, considering there are almost no "safe" choices left. But I'm just pointing out its retarded to think anything gets special treatment because of amiibos. TPCi fucking hates that amiibos even exist.
>>
>>25647416
Kangaskhan also represents the competitive scene of Pokémon well and it's mega could easily be a puppeteer character.
>>
>>25647733
>Its a fan service game
What fucking game isnt?
>>
File: dfgdg.png (278 KB, 900x750) Image search: [Google]
dfgdg.png
278 KB, 900x750
>all these people want herarcross when a better bug exists
>>
>>25648674
Almost none but the most do it not means it's right.
>>
>>25648706
Mega design ruined it tho.
>>
everybody that is not a Gen Wunner literally gets cuckholded by Game Freak. They'll defend every new Pokemon design no matter how shit and at the end of the day GF will pander to Gen Wunners more than anybody else because there's a bigger market there.
>>
>>25647284
No.
They have entirely different movesets.
>>
>>25648841
Yeah. M-heracross is the biggest turd
>>
File: garbage.gif (2 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
garbage.gif
2 MB, 448x252
>>25647013
>Liking any 3d street fighter game
Credibility lost.
>>
>>25648009
>garbador
You just want to be able to beat that trash up, don't you? I like you
>>
>>25646758
Don't forget that Sceptile is the most popular Grass starter. That's probably why it was the only one to get into the roster.
>>
>>25647483
The main problem with Lucario being a Steel rep is that he doesn't have any Steel moves in his moveset.
>>
>>25646914
kek
>>
>>25647933
This is potentially the first game in the series. You're an absolute delusional moron if you thought they weren't going to put in the most popular Pokémon first. Do you honestly believe that the majority of the Pokémon fanbase gives a shit about Furret, Luvdisc, Garbodor, Swampert, Ledian, and other irrelevant trash mons? Go ahead and keep complaining about the roster, but it isn't going to make a difference when this game sells well.
>>
File: 3986556535681.png (297 KB, 850x900) Image search: [Google]
3986556535681.png
297 KB, 850x900
>>25647979
>D-list Pokémon didn't get into the game
I don't see the problem here.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.