[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do we still have IV's?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1389913636630.gif (839 KB, 450x402) Image search: [Google]
1389913636630.gif
839 KB, 450x402
Seriously these things are completely pointless and only serve to make competitive play just that more unapproachable.
>but muh hidden power
Just lower the max IVs per pokemon down to 1, that way hidden power is still a thing but spending hours breeding the Aryan Race isn't
I really hope GF realizes the current system is beyond tedious and casualizes the one part of the game that really should be in gen 7
>>
File: 1304194289429.png (323 KB, 440x525) Image search: [Google]
1304194289429.png
323 KB, 440x525
>>25635691
I might be the only one who actually likes IVs for what they are. I understand that they're a pain in the ass to deal with for competitive, I wasted hundreds of hours breeding for perfection. Even so, it's important to acknowledge that IVs work as a believable (albeit simplified) simulation of genetics and make Pokémon seem more like diverse creatures than semi-standardized tools. Thanks to IVs there can be no two identical Pikachus out of a million of randomly generated Pikachus, without them you can only have a handful different combinations of abilities, natures and genders before you start getting 100% identical Pokémon. They're called Individual Values for a reason, providing individuality to each and every single mon.
>>
>>25636028
/thread
>>
>>25636028
Maybe if low IVs were useful outside of gyro ball and countering foul play I'd agree with you. But as it stands the only good pokemon are the 5/6 IV ones with very few exceptions
>>
>>25636028 is why it's still around. It's a way to go "every Pokemon is different," and while it has its obvious flaws as a system I don't think GF is willing or able to implement a system that can effectively replace

Note that Spinda was introduced at the same time as IVs. The former is probably their ideal "every Pokemon is different," plan, but adding millions of differentiating features to every single Pokemon simply is not feasible.
>>
>>25636150
IV's have existed since Gen 1.
>>
Breeding for egg moves, ability and nature is already kind of daunting.

Add hidden power move tutors and some berries that suppress stats if you want to reduce speed to run trick room or attack to reduce the damage of foul play, etc.
>>
>>25636174
They were changed in Gen III
>>
>>25636174

My bad.
>>
>>25635691
Keep IV's the way they are, but make some kind of vitamin or machine or whatever that lets you raise or lower them in the post game, that way I can get the Hidden Power I want when I battle people online instead of getting HP Bug on every pokemon like I usually do.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.