[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Pokemon games were harder back in the day, now its all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
"Pokemon games were harder back in the day, now its all piss easy"
>Replaying Blue on VC
>Brock is a joke
>Misty is a joke
>Surge is a joke
>Erika is a joke
>Koga is a joke
>Sabrina can be a threat because Psychic is broken but if you have a fast mon you're ok
>Blaine is a joke
>Giovanni is a joke

What was it about difficult again?
>>
>>25626769

Genwunners are fucking retards
>>
Gen 1 was broken, I think it can make the experience either really easy or really hard.

Plus

>Being a kid
>>
They were taking charmeleons with ember to lt surge or koga and had a tough time, so they retroactively say uts harder when it never was.
>>
I think the problem is you people don't know what "harder" means.

ALL the Pokemon games are easy, but "easy" is still harder than "piss easy"
>>
It WAS harder. If not, show me where you can get the free legendaries, the free megas, and the EXP share that gives you 350% EXP every battle.
>>
>>25626769
>play game from 1995
>be surprised when you can breeze through it

What were you expecting? People say new games are easier because you are handed exp shares and mega lucarios, experience for catching Pokemon, can do wonder trade, etc
>>
>>25626812
>free
>350% XP
Quit pulling shit out of your ass
>>
>>25626769
Don't forget how there was no difference between the trainer AI and the wild pokemon AI

Super easy to abuse.
>>
>>25626823
The Lati@s is free. You're forced to encounter it and it's given to you without needing to hunt it down and catch it yourself like in the original games. There are mega stones that are flat out given to you.

100%+50%*5 = 350%. Math doesn't lie.
>>
Well it is only harder because there was very little internet exposure and all we had to depend on was word of mouth for information.

Besides newer games are easier because many of us have been playing the games since gen1. For us it isn't a big deal every gen just seems easier than the last
>>
>>25626823
>what is math
>>
>>25626855
350% spread out across 5 pokes is 70% a piece. And no one is forcing you to use latios/latias.
>>
>Playing Blue instead of Yellow
>Calling it easy.

Yellow was why people called earlier games hard, not the red/blue
>>
>>25626776
>grasping at straws this badly
Yes anon, you are right. Pokemon used to be a game for adults, NEVER for children, with difficulty for children
>>
>>25626925
>350% spread out across 5 pokes is 70% a piece

Which is still a fuck ton considering this is your entire party and you don't even need to use the Pokemon

>nobody forcing you to use lati@s
So what? The fact that the game gives it to you that easily while nothing like that is in gen 1 at all means it's easier.

Also never mind the fact that Game Freak themselves have said they're consciously trying to make the games easier.
>>
>>25626925
>self-imposed difficulty being a valid form of difficulty by the game designers

are you literally retarded
>>
>>25626997
Turn off the Exp share
Dont use mega evolution or legends and see if you bitch about the games being easy.
>>
>>25626812

Mew was given out as an event in Gen 1, dumbfuck. "Free" legendaries have been around since the beginning
>>
>>25626981
Sabrina has higher levels, but less varied Pokemon. That tends to be the case with Yellow

Otherwise it's no more difficult other than starting you off with a shitmon instead of a real starter, then making it up for you by giving you the other three because anime
>>
>>25627032
>the games isn't easier if you don't use the things that make the games easier!

Wooooow, ya think? The fact that these options are even given to you still means it's easier than gen 1
>>
>>25626994
You know yellow is gen 1. Yellow gives you bulbasaur, charmander and squirle. Also in red/blue you get a free eevee. Jolteon and Vaporeon are two of the best pokemon in gen 1.
>>
>>25627049
>a limited time event you need to go out of your way to attend is the same as a forced in-game thing anyone can get

You're an idiot
>>
>>25627049
There were next to zero Mew giveaways in gen 1. There were also zero legendaries with increased catchrates, and the bird were arguably shitmons in gen 1 meaning the only good legendary was mewtwo, caught after the elite 4.
>>
>>25627064
None of those Pokemon are as powerful as mega lati@s or mega lucario.
>>
>>25626769
At least some of the gym leaders had more than 3 Pokemon.
>>
>>25627050
You forget rest of the last four gym leaders having pretty much higher levels, and don't forget the crit maniac Persian Giovanni has. Koga and his 50lvl Venomoth. :S
>>
>>25626769
Someone post Blue's team as the champion.
>>
>>25627032

Different anon here. I do exclusively solo runs with an injected mon of my choice and found XY to be super fucking easy with only an Eevee that eventually became a Sylveon on my team (with a random HM slave here and there). I only had trouble with Valerie and Malva.

I will say that my ORAS run with a Swablu was incredibly difficult until I evolved and ended up 10-20 levels higher than everyone else, compounded with a Mega Stone (that I didn't really ever use for difficulty reasons).

Combine the easier main game with a lack of difficult post game and you've got games that look and feel easier than ever before.
>>
>>25627111

Oh and I also had trouble with that Steel guy in XY. Thank God for the ability to save right in front of him.
>>
>>25626769
>Gen 1 Sabrina
>Snorlax
>use Amnesia
>win
>>
File: 1430054144510.jpg (4 KB, 108x124) Image search: [Google]
1430054144510.jpg
4 KB, 108x124
>>25626823
>>25626925
>being this fucking retarded that you can't into basic arithmetic

Old Gens
>Pokémon gives 100 XP
If defeated by a single Pokémon, that Pokémon will receive 100 XP
If defeated by a single Pokémon, and one teammate is holding an EXP Share, the active Pokémon and the EXP Share Pokémon will each receive 50 XP
If defeated by all six Pokémon in the party, and either all or none of the Pokémon are holding an EXP Share, each Pokémon will receive about 16.67 XP.

Gen VI
>Pokémon gives 100 XP
If defeated by a single Pokémon, that Pokémon will receive 100 XP
If defeated by a single Pokémon, and the EXP Share is active, the active Pokémon will receive 100 XP, and the rest of the party will receive 50 XP. A maximum of 250 additional XP may be created, a total of 350 XP — a 350% increase in total XP.
If defeated by all six Pokémon in the party, regardless of if the EXP Share is on, each Pokémon will receive 100 XP. A maximum of 500 additional XP may be created, at total of 600 XP — a 600% increase in total XP.
>>
>>25627032
Played X without using Megas apart from the Lucario tutorial, without using EXP Share and without using legends. It's still ridiculously easy. Diantha can be soloed with a Mawile with no grinding. Gen 6 is braindead easy.
>>
>>25626812
>show me where you can get the free legendaries, the free megas, and the EXP share that gives you 350% EXP every battle.
Didn't need it.
You could easily glitch Mews and infinite rare candies.
If that's not acceptable anything with a special stat over 80 was utterly broken balance wise.
>>
The only way the past games were "harder" was because the region looped back on itself and NO ONE TOLD YOU WHERE TO GO.

But that is a lack of direction, not a sign of difficulty.

/thread
>>
>>25627422
>The only way the past games were "harder" was because the region looped back on itself

and no OP exp share
and no free legendaries

And hey genius: Maybe figuring out where to go is part of the challenge. Do you also think Metroid games are directionless because there aren't NPCs popping up every 2 seconds telling you where to go? That's retarded. Fucking explore and figure it out for yourself.

>>25627157
>Gen 6 any gym leader
>[any Pokemon]
>use [move]
>win

>>25627192
unintended glitches that you have to specifically know how to activate don't count.
>>
The gen 1 remakes can be slightly annoying a lot times due to the improved enemy movesets and less exploitable codes. Maybe it's just younger nostalgia fags trying to fit in with 30 year olds.
>>
>>25627088

Gen 1 Jolteon crit virtually every turn and Venasaur could exploit the toxic leech seed bug to fuck shit up.
>>
>>25626769
We were kids then, that's what was harder about it. Simple as that. Going back to play them now it's quite evident how piss easy they are.

Now the difference being that now you get more free heals after 'tough' areas, this is especially true in Gen 6. Honestly I find Gen 4 and Gen 5 to be harder in places than any game in the series. Gen 4 had Cynthia which was very dangerous at times, and B/W had Elesa and a few trainers here and there that were a threat.

Pokemon has always been a game, people who say they are easier now are just blinded by nostalgia and truly don't believe they weren't worse at video games when they were 8 back in the 90s.
>>
>games are easier if you exploit them

ya don't say
>>
>>25626769
it was harder because status was stronger and more common and money was harder to come by early on

either way i don't get how people still moan about the level curve in gs
>>
>Kalos Elite Four have four Pokémon each at series-record low levels
>people claim Gen VI isn't easier
>>
>>25627863
Because the level curve in GSC doesn't make any sense
>>
>>25627863
Johto has the lowest-leveled Champion in the series and even right before the Elite 4 you're still fighting level 30 mons

The only real hiccups in difficulty are Blue and Red, and Red tends to use shitmons so you can easily wipe the floor with him using level 50 Pokemon which you'll probably have because Mt. Silver is full of Pokemon that are barely over their 40s, 50s if you're lucky

No boss battle rematches except the Elite 4, also in their 40s, means grinding is difficult. You could fight Cal over and over, but it's still not the best

HGSS did fix it a bit
>>
>>25627890
>record low levels
>forgetting Johto's E4 which were in the 40s-50s
>forgetting Hoenn's E4 which were in the 40-50s
>forgetting Kanto's E4 which were in the 50s-60s
>forgetting Sinnoh's E4 which were in the 50s-60s
>forgetting Unova's E4 which were in the 40s-50s
>meanwhile Kalos' are in the 60s alone

You really have no memory of how piss easy the other gens E4s are do you? You could easily sweep half of them with nothing more than a Lv. 50 Pidgeot, I know, I've tried.
>>
>>25627890
Wrong.

>G1 Kanto E4: Lv. 53-62
>G3 Kanto E4: Lv. 52-60/Lv. 63-72
>G2 Johto E4: Lv. 40-47
>G4 Johto E4: Lv. 40-47/Lv. 58-64
>G3 Hoenn E4: Lv. 46-Lv. 55
>G6 Hoenn E4: Lv. 50-Lv. 55/Lv. 70-75
>Sinnoh E4: Lv. 53-63
>Unova B/W E4: Lv. 48-Lv. 50
>Unova B/W2 E4: Lv. 56-Lv. 58
>Kalos E4: Lv. 63-65

Kalos has by far the highest level Pokemon for the E4, barring any of the rematches and even then they are close to the rematch levels themselves.
>>
>>25626769
>Gen 1 wasnt as refined
>Less people knew how to play
>types are imbalanced, theres only 150 choice
>Kids dont use strategies anyways
>>
>>25626769
>Erika is a joke

The trainers in Erika's gym are more dangerous than her.
>>
>>25627967
>>25628119
Well this is embarrassing, I pulled that thing about the levels completely out of my ass :v)

Still, the PC team even without the experience share is high 50-mid 60 at that point in Kalos

And lol4Pokémon
>>
>>25628144
>Only 150 choice
Honestly this terminology bothers me. Usually, if you're going to be using a Pokemon you'll be using their fully evolved form or at least a certain stage of your favorite

That drops the number down to about 80 viably different choices
>>
All I can say is that Gen 1 was harder mainly because the game wasn't particularly well-designed. I mean neither was Gen 2, hell I would argue that until the Physical/Special split was introduced, they never really had a solid grasp on how their mechanics should work.

But regardless, it doesn't feel like it was INTENTIONALLY harder. It just ended up that way somewhat haphazardly.
>>
>>25627890
>Kanto: Lv 53 - 65, average Lv 58
>Johto: Lv 40 - 50, average Lv 44
>Hoenn: Lv 46 - 58, average Lv 52
>Sinnoh: Lv 53 - 66, average Lv 58
>Unova: Lv 48 - 52/54, average Lv 49/51 (including N/Ghetsis)
>Kalos: Lv 63 - 68, average Lv 64

It's not like Level alone is an actual indication of challenge.
Despite being the highest level Kalos is incredibly easy because the Elite Four only keep 4 Pokémon (at least one being pretty mediocre) and the player can easily be Level 70+ by the time they face them.
Unova appears to be well on the lower end but their teams are quite powerful and well-rounded.
Sinnoh and Kanto have about the same level range but Cynthia could fuck up Blue six ways to Sunday
>>
>>25628402
Unova's issue is more for the fact that there is a Fire Trainer, and a lot of the good and fun Pokemon are bug types, some even being bug/steel.
>>
File: save me.jpg (3 KB, 125x99) Image search: [Google]
save me.jpg
3 KB, 125x99
>>25627104
>>
File: Blue.png (67 KB, 807x631) Image search: [Google]
Blue.png
67 KB, 807x631
>>25627104
>>
File: you're serious.webm (3 MB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
you're serious.webm
3 MB, 1024x576
>>25628451
I never bothered looking back at it until now
>>
File: everythingisayisright.jpg (32 KB, 550x343) Image search: [Google]
everythingisayisright.jpg
32 KB, 550x343
Gens 4 and 5 were the best when it came to difficulty.

Not super hard, but both gens had decent challenge.
>>
Everything has such better move sets now. Back in gen 1 you had Normal moves, and some STAB, and maybe 1 or 2 moves outside those types, outside of a few Pokemon.
>>
File: CallingYou.gif (183 KB, 214x200) Image search: [Google]
CallingYou.gif
183 KB, 214x200
Replaying as well and I've noticed a few things.
Bag being limited
Boxes filling up
Grinding harder
Rubbish TMs (water gun srsl)
Fucking sand attack (you need two to have about 33% chance of hitting, I mean this also works to your advantage as well but still)
Crits galore
Wrap
Sleep losing a turn on wake up
Confusion HAS had to have been nerfed
More bulk due to special
I mean not hard, everything is still a cake walk but it's definitely harder. I think you're making a black and white fallacy, harder does not mean hard.
>>
>>25627517
>Gen 6 any gym leader
>Magikarp
>use Splash
>win?
>>
>>25629387
>Literally Gen VII mechanics
>>
>>25628451
Let's face it, Lance was the real champ. Even after you had 2-3 pokes left, you easily swept blue.
>>
So, how many of you over-leveled your pokes to win?
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.