[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me how Pokken Tournament's controller
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
File: maxresdefault.jpg (166 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
166 KB, 1280x720
Can someone explain to me how Pokken Tournament's controller system works? If me and buddy want to play, do I need two tournament controllers? Can't I just use a fucking Wii Remote, Gamecube controller, or Wii Up pro controller?
>>
Theres no local multiplayer, you need 2 wii us in order to play with your buddy, as well as two monitors, 2 copies of the game, and 2 controllers
>>
You'll only get to use one Pro Controller since one player will need to use the Gamepad.
>>
>>25622415
Y I K E S

How did they drop the ball so fucking hard? How will this game ever be seriously considered for competitive play
>>
>>25622407
Not entirely correct. There is local multiplayer, but one player needs to use a wii u pad and the FPS gets cut down to 30.

As mentioned, there is a LAN mode with 60 FPS and no restrictions if you have two consoles and two TVs.
>>
>>25622429
>>25622415
Thanks for the info guys.

While I have you here, is Sceptile any good?
>>
>>25622458
From what I've heard things are pretty balanced.

Most people seem to agree it's something like this:

1. Weavile and Pikachu
2. The rest
3. Gardevoir

Although some would argue that Gengar is close to the top as well.
>>
>>25622429
oh really?
i was misinformed im sorry
>>
>>25622407
>There's no local multiplayer, you need 2 WiiU's in order to play with your buddy
D R O P P E D
I was legitimately excited for this game, but now I couldn't give a fuck.

Absolutely hype for pic related, but it was also only 1-player. Plus they butchered the controls from Save the Earth / Unleashed so it's basically a completely different game regardless, but I digress.
>>
>>25622480
I've heard lots about Gengar being good at high level play. Haven't gotten a chance to see it yet though.
>>
>>25622429
Why does the FPS have to drop down to thirty just so two people can play? Does it really take the processing power of a whole second console just to process inputs for a second character?

This doesn't make a lick of goddamned sense.
>>
>>25623223
This. Since when are fucking fighting games not fucking 2-player. Fuck this fucking meme.
>>
>>25623223
It's not the second input that makes the frames cut in half, it's the fact that the game needs to render two different screens simultaneously.

The camera in Pokken follows the player, unlike other fighting games. So you need to be able to see "your" view of the screen to properly play. Otherwise it just puts you at a disadvantage since you can't properly see the distance between your character and the projectiles being thrown at it in arena mode.

Pretty much all WiiU games take a dump when they need to use the gamepad to render a unique graphics intense scene. Gamepad was a fucking mistake and I still don't know why people defend that piece of shit and go on about how it was just "not fully taken advantage of." It drags down the experience of games, and it's honestly one of the reasons I'm skeptical about Starfox Zero despite being so hyped for it before. You're FORCED to use the gamepad in that as well.
>>
File: Tenkaichi 2-player.jpg (58 KB, 807x452) Image search: [Google]
Tenkaichi 2-player.jpg
58 KB, 807x452
>>25623280
>the game needs to render two different screens simultaneously
abloo bloo

This shit is inexcusable.
>>
>>25623280
>Gamepad was a fucking mistake and I still don't know why people defend that piece of shit
While living in Japan I found out that many college students and the alike don't have TVs in their homes because they need to pay NHK a form of tax for just owning them.
As a result, less people started to buy home consoles, which is what made the PSP such a hit there, as well as PC games raising.
Some of my friends there bought a WiiU because they can get quality games now and play in the gamepad.
Makes sense to me
>>
>>25623305

>built to cater to Japanese

And the gear clicks into place, that makes total sense.

They could have avoided this issue by not having to make their fighting game have an extra special design.
>>
>>25623291
That's not rendering two screens of images, Anon, that's rendering one image of the same scene split in two to give the illusion that it's two separate images. There's a big difference between split screen multiplayer and dual screen multiplayer.

But I do agree it's inexcusable and they should have at least given the option for split screen if they absolutely needed the camera behind the character.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (144 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
144 KB, 1280x720
>>25623291
It probably would have ended up like this instead because of the need to switch between arena and duel mode.
>>
>>25622429
>two TVs
You can actually substitute one of the TVs for a gamepad but yeah, still pretty tedious
>>
File: m8 pls.png (880 KB, 701x800) Image search: [Google]
m8 pls.png
880 KB, 701x800
>>25623326
No, Tenkaichi was splitscreen.
>>
>>25623321
>by not having to make their fighting game have an extra special design.
I think they wanted to mimic the Arcade Feel; in the arcade each person has their own cabinet, sometimes with the backs against each other, creating a specific type of feeling.
When you look at Japanese players who come to Evo they say that playing the way we set up our arcades (each cabinet hosting two players) causes a weird disconnection.
I believe that nintendo wanted to avoid that, since they planned (I don't know if still) to bring Pokken to Dave and Busters.
>>
>>25623223
Because Wii U is a piece of shit that chockes when it has to render 2 screens at once

Kind of like 3DS with the 3D mode
>>
>>25622520
At least read the thread anon.
There is local with one wii u but the game drops to 30fps and one player has to use the pad.
>>
>>25623305
So then make it an optional accessory, not a fucking mandatory peripheral. It's stupid to bring down the whole console just to cater to one niche Japanese market.

Then they wonder why it was a failure.
>>
>>25623353
Right. So it's only 1-player. I'm not using that retarded fucking iPad to play a video game.
>>
>>25623356

Agreed. Although I must admit the gamepad is useful in games like Splatoon, Splinter Cell, and ZombiU. They handle it as an accessory, as they should.
>>
>>25623377
Then give the pad to the other player.
>>
>>25623377
Then give it to your friend while you hog the TV dumbass.
Chances are he's more retarded than you are and won't give a shit.
>>
>>25623356
Read
>>25623338

Also, for this game, the 3d phase is a really big thing, when you play games like Ninja Storm, whoever is on the far background gets a really shitty disadvantage, since their ability to determine how far you are from your opponent gets limited
>>
>>25623413
Pokken is nothing like Ninja Storm but I agree the camera in multi is terrible.
>>
>>25623421
It actually is on the 3D stage:
All characters have the same control inputs, but behave different (there is no command specific actions like SF), and you have the 3d roaming aspect to it, or at least I felt like that when i played it
I always hated how NS fucked people over with the camera issues
>>
Wait, is this out yet?
>>
>>25623454
Comes out tomorrow on WiiU, been in the Arcade for like 8 months
>>
File: 1455919352602.png (693 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1455919352602.png
693 KB, 1280x720
>>25623335
That's what I said. Do you know how to read?
>>
>>25623503
Then you lost me. How is that not the same as Pokken?
>>
>>25623512
Not that guy, but the game has to render to both the TV and the Gamepad -- that's the distinction. Splitscreen can just use two cameras while only rendering one area.
>>
>>25623512
Split screen - 1 picture rendered, split in half to show two camera angles.

Pokken - 2 pictures rendered, 1 on each screen.

Split screen isn't rendering two different images. It's like the difference between playing two movies in two different media players simultaneously versus opening a single file that has both movies spliced to play next to each other, if that makes sense. Not exactly, but closest example I could think of.

In the first example, you'd computer is actually running two movie files. In the second, it's only running one, even if you see two.
>>
>>25623526
>>25623536
So you're telling me that because it for some reason MUST render the game on the gamepad as well as the tv screen that you can't just plug in another controller and play with your friend?

FUCK THAT FUCKING IPAD FUCKING BULLSHIT. FUCK KIKETENDO. WHAT THE FUCK.
>>
>>25623551
It's that or get a shitty Naruto set up for multiplayer.
>>
File: 14487089889997.jpg (13 KB, 293x274) Image search: [Google]
14487089889997.jpg
13 KB, 293x274
>>25623564
>a shitty Naruto set up
>>
File: my nigga.jpg (35 KB, 552x464) Image search: [Google]
my nigga.jpg
35 KB, 552x464
>>25623564
>shitty Naruto set up
Dis Nigga gets it
>>
>>25623568
Ever played the UNS games?
>>
>>25623291
Split screen would look like ass on any TV. In Pokken the game is played about half the time on a 3d plane which would look like ass if you had to cut it in half horizontally, especially since the game's default viewing angle puts the players on the left and right side. Would you rather the game play at 30 FPS on 2 screens or not have a clear view of the action? I would say that a framerate cut is superior to one player getting fucked over by the camera giving them a bad view or both players not being able to see what's going on.

The compromise sucks hard but it's the best option that there is.
>>
>>25623551
It's either each player gets a complete image at an acceptable size or shit like >>25623330 where each player gets a tiny image and the game runs at 30 fps anyway.
The widescreen aspect ratio is necessary for the 2D mode so it can't use splitscreen like >>25623291
>>
>>25623568
See this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv7EP9lmowE

There's no splitscreen.

So one player has the camera following them while the other player is way off in the distance.
If I remember right it also changes depending on who's winning or whoever had the last blow.
>>
>>25623578
No, not even sure what that acronym stands for.
Ultimate Naruto _______ ?

>>25623583
>>25623580
>Split screen would look like ass on any TV.
I completely agree, but why is Pokken this stupid, in-between shit? It's a fighting game, why not make it so 2 fucking people can fight each other without separate fucking TVs and WiiUs like EVERY OTHER FIGHTING GAME EVER MADE?
>>
Is anyone else playing the game BTW? I looked for a thread for it but haven't seen anyone discussing it. Was I the only person that got it online when it released?
>>
>>25623589
>Ultimate Naruto _______ ?
Ultimate Ninja Storm.

Basically look at this post >>25623588
>>
>>25623588
I agree that game looks like trash, but I saw nothing wrong with the camera angles.

Budokai 3 is the perfect template for a dynamic fighting game. Why Pokken didn't follow that formula that all other good fighting games use is baffling.
>>
>>25623595
>but I saw nothing wrong with the camera angles.
The angles are always like that anon.
Even in multiplayer, the controls don't really adjust either.
>>
>It also has noted on the eShop that there is to be a demo for Pokkén Tournament for players to try the game out. The demo is not currently live on the eShop. We'll provide further details as they come
Finally. I wonder if there is going to be online
>>
>>25623611
For the demo?
I doubt it.
>>
>>25622407

Not true, I played it today. One uses gamepad, the other the pro controller
>>
Is shadow Mewtwo SNK level difficult?
>>
>>25623802
>Has 1000 HP
>If he lands his BURST/Synergy on you, you're pretty much dead
Otherwise not any harder then any of the other AI in the game.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.