[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think so far, /vp/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9
File: MMslope4.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
MMslope4.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
What do you think so far, /vp/?
>>
it's shit.
>>
>>25614533
absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>25614533
Pish.
Shouldn't be a perfect pyramid on places you can't reach.
>>
>Two whole forced grass tiles
Come on son. Also, nature isn't perfectly square/rectangular. Give those trees on the left (the ones leading you to the stairs) a bit of variation.
>>
Looks too symmetrical. Take inspiration from real life instead. Dare to be chaotic. Nature is anything but perfect.
>>
Less straight lines and it would be hard to complain.
>>
>>25614533
fuck me, this might be the most unnatural, designed map I ever saw.

I suggest not going after "muh patterns" but to try and actually go for a more natural randomness.
>>
>>25614533
i-i th-think it looks good, OP...
>>
Have you all ever played a Pokemon game before? This looks WAY more 'naturally chaotic' than any of the actual Pokemon routes I've seen.

The overuse of the mountain slopes is annoying to look at, though.
>>
>>25614586
Have you preordered moon yet
>>
>>25614551
>Shouldn't be a perfect pyramid on places you can't reach
Yes but do you see that cave opening? Two paths to the same map, but different parts of the map.
>>25614570
>>Two whole forced grass tiles
>Come on son. Also, nature isn't perfectly square/rectangular. Give those trees on the left (the ones leading you to the stairs) a bit of variation.
The trees on the right are trash, but the left ones? Good, but in process of reworking.
>>25614586
>Looks too symmetrical
How?
>>25614638
Thanks bruh
>>25614660
The mountain slopes are borders. The map is 75x100, the biggest map I can get in Advance Map. I'm pretty sure the player never sees more than 7 tiles in either direction at any time, so the only place you would really see all those slopes in on the bottom path.
>>
>>25614533
Is that some beta Victory Road?
I don't mind it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (131 KB, 379x685) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
131 KB, 379x685
>>25614843
Remember that nature isn't on a grid. With Pokemon it looks cluttered to make them 100% "wild", but it's not as if you need to keep them absolutely straight either.

Also oh, you're using Advance Map? If you're using that for just making maps and not romhacking, try RPG Maker XP + Pokemon Essentials. Better in every other way.
>>
>>25614533
>not putting rock climb / rock smash / strength / literally anything else to have as a shortcut to the center cave
>>
>>25615008
It's a slope of Mount Moon. The forest will have a coven of fairy-type witches (no idea what to reward for defeating them yet) inside it. The lower part is accessible from the last map of Mount Moon proper (which has been altered as well), and though it dead ends I intend to leave a rare item as a reward for bothering to explore it. It will be populated by mountain habitat and fairy type pokemon.
I've been at this for about 6 hours on and off now; this is the fourth iteration, the fifth and current one gives the waterfall a legitimate source. I expect to have a finished map sometime tomorrow. Turns out mapping, much like pimping, is not easy.
>>
>>25615258
Mapping gets easier as you get used to it. I've been making maps on and off for about 7 years now (more off than on in recent years though) and it comes naturally to me now. Just keep trying anon, you'll get good as time goes on.
>>
>>25615133
Nah, hacking Fire Red. It's a passion project, nothing special. Probably gonna be criticized for edge because I'm rewriting the NPC dialogue to talk openly about the Great War that took place between Kanto and Johto 5 years prior. (Also having the Pokémon Rangers as a quasi-police force/danger rangers commissioned by the Elite Four)
>>25615233
>Putting obstacles before you even finish mapping
I haven't even done movement permissions because it's a WIP. My method is mapping, then movement, then encounters, then scripts, then trainers/special pokemon encounters. I'm still very much a novice though.
>>
>>25614533
The flowers are placed oddly and the grass seems a little too random in some places. Meanwhile the trees don't look random enough ironically.
>>
What area is it supposed to be?
A path to victory road?
A normal route?
>>
>>25614533
1 - everything is a little too square and orderly
2 - those repeating slope tiles is a little ugly
3 - makes some of the patches of grass mandatory, its a mountain not a neatly mowed garden
>>
>>25614533
It looks like a challenging route
>>
>>25614533
thinking i'd be fucking pissed if i went to the left and it was full of trainers for nothing.
>>
File: MMslope5a.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
MMslope5a.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
>>25616188
This is what I've edited based on feedback, much more satisfied now. It'll take some further work but I feel it's progressing.
>>25616021
It's an extra area. The forest entrance takes you to a Fairy pseudo gym, the bottom cave goes through a series of small caverns back into the main part of Mt. Moon, and the top right will lead to the peak of Mt. Moon and a legendary.
>>25616222
Maybe a couple of trainers, but it's mostly wild pokemon and a prize for getting through it.
>>
>>25614533

>waterfall required

into the trash it goes.
>>
>>25616414
This is MUCH nicer.
Good to see you didn't just ragequit from all the negative feedback.
I still think the grass on the second level looks a little too random. But aside from that this is a pretty solid route.
>>
>>25616495
No way am I gonna ragequit. I've been on this project for two months and restarted all over once from a major bug (expanding the maps resulted in map deletion) and several more minor set backs that force me to go back (I save daily builds) a few days. By the time this map in particular is done I'll have spent 10 hours on it, give or take. Fuck quitting, quitting is for losers.
>>25616465
It's not a bug, it's a feature, and it's not required-note the small bridges. You can take a waterfall up from Route 25 or wherever the top of nugget bridge is, but you can also access it from within Mt. Moon. Bring repel though.
>>
>>25614533
Too many straight edges. Add more trees. Also something that really adds world for me is what Pokémon would be theoretically encounterable there?
>>
File: Thanks for the critique vp.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Thanks for the critique vp.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
>>25616848
Mountain habitat. I use this link as a reference for distribution:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_habitat#Mountain_Pok.C3.A9mon
Though I don't use it as a strict guide all the time. I'm thinking some Flaafy, some second stage birds, Stantler, Absol. I've got Stantler down at the Cerulean side of Route 4 though.
The level range here would be 18-25. Chansey would be a rare or unique encounter. Waters should hold Marill and Magikarp lines. This may be one of the few places in the game I place wild Gyarados.
Here is the semifinal draft. Only the lower section will be accessible in the demo. Now I've got to work on extending another OC map that branches from Mt. Moon to Pewter and Route 22.
I'd like to thank the anons here for their comments. Look for the 1 Gym Demo of Kanto Roads in the next couple of weeks.
>>
>>25615355
Just make sure the great war isn't autistic and you're golden
>>
>>25617413
You tell me.
Kanto/Johto used to be feudal; East Kanto was more city state-confederacy, West Kanto (known previously as Indigo) was more of a rural feudal state of petty warlords and raiders dominated by the Indigo League at Indigo Plateau. Johto was very rural, ancient traditional with each town ruled by a hereditary shogun.
Giovanni marched on Johto in the Tohjo Offensive and burned down Bark Town, beginning a long war that left Johto devastated. Ho-Oh and Lugia were involved, driving the invaders out. By then, Giovanni, Dr. Fuji, and Blaine were working on the Ultimate Weapon-Mewtwo.
In the closing days of the war, the Elite Four, a cabal of elite trainers from both regions, came together and made 3 wished on Jirachi, whom they discovered in Mt. Silver. Their wishes ended the war and put them in power over both regions. They formed a League, appointing Gym Leaders to replace the petty warlords and such in each town and city, commissioning the Pokémon Rangers as a police force to deal with bandits, dangerous wild pokemon, crime, and public works.
5 years later
Giovanni vanished when Cinnabar Mansion burned down, and the Elite Four secretly search for Mewtwo. The Bird Trio (who belong to Lugia) roost in Kanto as warning to not attack Johto again. Ho-Oh perches on Tin Tower in Ecruteak City. Two boys begin their pokemon journey, taking the recently opened League Challenge as licensed trainers. The best of the best gain 8 badges from either region and gain the right to battle the Elite Four and join the Pokémon League. It's a measure against individual aggression and an effort to establish a peaceful way of life.
Idk how autistic that sounds.
>>
>>25617578
That actually sounds pretty good to me (different anon.) Just make sure the dialogue matches tone and vernacular of whichever NYC is spoken to.
>>
>>25614533
Top half is good, lower half needs work.
>>
File: wtf.png (459 KB, 1410x405) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
459 KB, 1410x405
Makes no sense. Why is one side much greener and why does the other side have irregularly-shaped and erratic patches of grass?
>>
>>25621768
We've moved past this already anon.
>>
>>25617367
I think it looks pretty good though unless you plan to let that waterfall at the bottom go to some other area I feel like it should be blocked by rocks or something.
>>
>>25616414
This is much better, though unless you are avoiding it for some reason, I can't see why there isn't more forced grass. Remember that repels are in the game if people REALLY need to avoid wild battles that badly. A good RPG will give the players the push to level with its own design, and not really require much personal grind unless the player needs stats to make up for lack of skill (which is perfectly normal).
>>
>>25622078
Disregard this post, I just saw >>25617367 which was a marked improvement on my one issue. Keep trucking.
>>
>>25614570
Oh shit, and here I was thinking humans could plant trees!
>>
>>25615133
Essentials is shit
>>
File: 1457282498305.png (256 KB, 518x726) Image search: [Google]
1457282498305.png
256 KB, 518x726
>>25615133
>try RPG Maker XP + Pokemon Essentials
>>
>>25621926
It's going to drop down on Route 23.
>>
>>25617367
you need to add some variety to the rock walls and not make them so straight. its going in a good direction but it still looks a little unnatural
>>
File: 3.18.2016_06.png (6 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
3.18.2016_06.png
6 KB, 240x160
I just tested the map after making some alterations to the lower left. I think it's pretty good for now, but probably should make Absol rarer than it is because I ran into more of those than anything and it kicked Pidgeotto's ass in spite of being 6 levels lower.
>>
>>25617367
Looks much better OP.
All I have to say is whatever's at the end of that long dead end on the cliffside better be worth the trip.
>>
File: MMslope7a.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
MMslope7a.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
>>25625523
This is about it. I'm not looking to spend much more time fixing it further than filling out the trees and adding some grass to the upper levels. The channeler sprite is a Moon Witch who has Marill, Clefairy, Jigglypuff and Granbull levels 20-22. The pokeball item is an Exp Share; I feel that's a fair prize for having made the trek up here (you have to go behind a wall in Mount Moon 1.3, down a ladder, into a cavern that branches into two series of maps; to get here, go up the ladder branch, up two small caverns via ladder, and come out here. Go all the way up there, face or attempt to evade Moon Witch Luna and grab the Exp Share before you even set foot in Cerulean.
The Lucky Egg will replace the Exp Share as a 50 caught pokemon reward.
>>
>>25614533
That is a LOT of useless walking
>>
>>25614533
Too much for nothing. Cross all that grass for what? Come on, it's too fucking big
>>
>>25625627
>>25625651
>Not seeing the updated post above their replies
Guys, it's a WIP and really two routes on one map. The lower half leads to a trainer and a reward for exploring, the upper section leads to a forest with powerful fairy-type trainers and a cavern path to the peak to capture a legendary pokemon (thinking Fugg, since Ho Oh and Lugia will be in Johto)
>>
>>25625604
Bottom left could use more substance other than wild pokemon. A couple more trainers. Maybe some NPCs talking about the temple at the top.

b-but thats just my opinion
>>
>>25625604
still looks like shit.
>>
>>25625604
Even just the bottom part is still a pretty large area, I feel like you ought to have at least one or two more trainers on the way to the Witch. A Hiker and a Picnicker, maybe, or acolytes to the Witch. At least an NPC, I get that this is supposed to be a remote hidden area but it still feels odd for it to be so empty.

Also, that sandy tile you used for the path leading to the EXP share seems really out of place. I get if you were trying to highlight that area, but that's kind of unnecessary since it's a one-way dead-end, so it just creates strange contrast when the rest of the route has normal dirt.
>>
>>25626007
Show me some of your maps then. Put your maps where your mouth is.
>>25626387
The sand is from where I failed to put a hidden item. I was having some issue scripting the pokeball until I realized I wasn't setting a flag (which is why I tried going hidden rather than sprite), that'll be fixed for sure.
As for the rest, yes I see what you're saying. Guess a couple rangers and some hidden berries are in order. And why not some NPCs who are just there for the view, right?
>>
>>25626564
giveitem has a built in hide LASTTALKED script
Just do:

giveitem item amount 0x1
end
>>
>>25614533
make the one tile paths bigger, if this is for a a game, otherwise its annoying as hell to walk through it
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.