[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On a scale of 1 to 10, how much does this idea suck -- Jewel Type
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 250px-302Sableye[1].png (44 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
250px-302Sableye[1].png
44 KB, 250x250
I don't think this is a good idea, but it surprises me how well it could work. Kinda like Sound type. Lots of mons have gems in their designs.

Jewel types are weak to Poison, (impurities,) Electric (all sort of sciency electric nonsense,) and Fire (damaged by heat easily). They resist Ghost and Water. They'd also have some sort of interaction with the Dark and Dragon types, as criminals and drakes are highly attracted to gemstones. Maybe Psychic too.

...They'd have other type matchup stuff too, I just don't really care enough to think of them. :p

Since most crystals tend to shatter relatively easily, (hardness is not the same thing as toughness; if you take a hammer to a diamond, it will shatter,) Jewel types would generally have high sp def. and low defense. Rather the opposite of Rock types.

Anyway, the following pokémon would be retyped:

>Persian: Normal/Jewel
>Starmie: Water/Jewel
>Sableye: Dark/Jewel
>Spoink and Grumpig: Psychic/Jewel
>Misdreavus and Mismagius: Ghost/Jewel
>Boldore and Gigalith: Rock/Jewel
>Cofagrigus: Ghost/Jewel
>Carbink: Jewel/Fairy
>Diancie: Jewel/Fairy

Corsola is made of Rock but the dex says it doesn't like living in polluted water, so being weak to Poison makes sense for it. Coral is also sometimes considered a precious stone, so it should get a Jewel type evolution.

The following Pokémon would NOT be retyped, but could learn Jewel-type moves.

>Golduck
>Mareep, Flaafy and Ampharos
>Slowking
>Espeon
>Solrock
>Lunatone
>Deoxys (They don't retype legends)
>Vespiquen
>Probopass
>The Lake Spirits
>Dialga/Palkia
>Amaura and Aurorus

New moves aside from Power Gem include: Diamond Blade, a move learned by a select few mons and which has very high base power, but poor accuracy, and some sort of move involving pearls, for all those bivalve Pokémon we have.

You can tell I didn't think this concept all the way through -- NO MATTER, TELL ME HOW MUCH IT SUCKS
>>
>>25610238
That's awful.
Please never come up with ideas again.
>>
>>25610238
I've thought about something similar (Crystal type), but honestly it already feels silly that Ground and Rock are different types. This would just further blur that line.

Some of those Pokemon could work as a Light type, though.
>>
>>25610292
>Light
That's arguably worse than Gem type. At least adding Gem type would only fuck over one type in terms of moves. So many types would get fucked over if Light (or sound for that matter) became types.
>>
>>25610258
Yes sir, sorry sir.

>>25610292
Yeah I was thinking about that. Pokémon is kind of backed into a corner where any potentially new types are likely going to be too similar to existing types at this point. Magic, Light, and Fairy are all way too close too each other in certain ways.

I mean I want to see Absol being Dark/Light too, but adding Light type would just be so messy....

>>25610322
Is that true? I suppose Spiritomb and Sableye would probably be 4x weak to Light if it happened, but I don't see how it would ruin the metagame otherwise.

(I went with Jewel over Crystal or Gem because we have Pokémon Crystal, and Ice is technically a crystal, and I just like how Jewel sounds over Gem.)
>>
>>25610355
What I meant was that there are a ton of attacks within other types that would have to be moved under Light. Grass types would lose Solarbeam STAB, and Rock would lose its only real special attack, for example.
>>
You do not understand crystals or gems. First. crystals are typically poor electric conductors. They are made up of stable molecules that do not transfer electrons. Second, they are very resistant to heat. Crystals tend to have higher melting points than metals and rocks, in fact many crystals require heat and pressure to grow.
>>
>>25610401
I came up with this idea in like five minutes.

>>25610391
Oh I dunno, I could see them not retyping Solarbeam. The photosynthesis part of it is more thematically important than the light part of it I feel. (I assume Grass types would have a handy immunity to Light.) Either way, they could just invent another Grass move to take its place, same with Power Gem. That move has limited distribution anyway.

Dunno about Dazzling gleam though.
>>
>>25610238
Terrible. We don't need another type.
>>
>>25610238
It's as bad as I thought steel type was when it came out
>>
>>25610238
I was gonna say that you require a literal fuckton of heat for gems to form, but this Anon said it

>>25610401
>>
>>25610238
kill self.
>>
>>25610238
14/10
Terrible idea
>>
>>25610238

Terrible. So terrible that i would recommend leaving this board.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 547x509) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 547x509
>>25610238
WE
>>
Rock doesn't get enough interesting stuff as is. Don't take this away from them.
>>
>>25614110
This basically
>>
>>25610238
almost as bad as light and sound
>>
>>25610238
i like the idea of a gem type quite a bit, more than sound and light type. but as some other anons have said it's really close to ground and rock. rock should have been based on crystals from the beginning.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.