[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Seeing lots of posts about battle difficulty. That's a red
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 007Squirtle_OS_anime.png (177 KB, 1280x1185) Image search: [Google]
007Squirtle_OS_anime.png
177 KB, 1280x1185
Seeing lots of posts about battle difficulty. That's a red herring. The battles, aside from a very few specific fights like Whitney, Red, Cynthia, were never difficult in the old gens.
The AI was always simplistic, the advantage you had to switch was always overpowered. Pokemon battles, outside of Nuzlocke or romhacks like Blaze Black/Volt White, were never challenging like battling another trainer is.
But that's not what has changed. If you'll play through Red and Blue, you'll notice how many opportunities there are to get lost. Things like the bike voucher requiring you to explore Cerulean, Surf being at the back of a labyrinth without any indication that it's where you need to go to progress to Cinnabar. Later gens just throw these items at your character. Paths are railroaded instead of open, like in Lumiose City and the insipid blackout compared with Cerulean/Vermilion/Lavender/Celadon/Saffron's backtracking maze.
There's just a less complicated involved, responsive, immersive world to role play in. The overworld challenges that there are remain contained to their specific areas or are optional, and there's tons of boosters, like partners that continuously heal your team, specifically to help young kids along so they don't get frustrated at failure.
TEACH SURF TO YOUR WATER POKEMON TO PROGRESS. ITS IN THE HM/TM TAB UNDER HM03.
This handholding is what I like least about the new gens. The battle/breeding changes over the gens have actually created much more depth and balance competitively. But let's be honest. Their purpose for dumbing down the RPG aspect of the RPG is clear. There is no reason they would stop with it now.
>>
Being lost at any Pokémon game can be challenging, but being able to figure out what to do is rewarding and engaging. That's what I like about Pokémon, it forces you to explore and to communicate with the people. And with the Pokémon being trained correctly, you actually see your Pokémon progress and evolve that you get attached to your Pokémon and feel like the greatest trainer in the world.
>>
>>25606343
Bump.
>>
>>25606343
>>25607491
I can understand your point of view, however it has been hammered time and again in reviews that getting 'lost' in a game is a sign of poor design, leading to more handholding in modern games.
>>
>>25609370
There really isn't a reason to get lost in Pokemon. The NPCs all pretty much tell you where you have to go next. The only way you could get lost is if you make an effort to ignore everyone and never read the text. And if you do that, then you deserve to get lost.
>>
>>25606343
I've been saying this for ages and it's one of the reasons I can't stand BW/BW2. BW's Unova is literally a straight line and BW2's Unova doesn't fare much better. Plus in BW2 literally every HM is given to you by some story-important NPC, most of them as you walk into a new town. It's fucking bullshit, Gen 5 has a few cool locations but no sense of exploration overall. I never ask "where am I gonna gonna go next?" because it's always the next fucking town in the line.

Kalos has the gimmick of returning to Lumiose but it's the same straight-line shit.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.