[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Broken Mechanics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: disdain.jpg (38 KB, 400x402) Image search: [Google]
disdain.jpg
38 KB, 400x402
Critical hits are such a shitty mechanic who thought they would be a good idea? Any other absolutely retarded mechanics in pokemon?
>>
>>25605472

Pokémon was never designed to be competitive. That's why things like Double Team, Moody, crits, and Swagger can and should exist. Those that try to make it into something it's not, like Smogon, are a bunch of butthurt autists.
>>
>>25605512
I don't mind the others especially swagger but crits that aren't tied to a move or stat like how they were in gen 1 are so meaningless and boring. If they were fun/could be built around/had clear counters that weren't only found on mediocre mons I would be fine with them.
>>
>>25605512
Well why not give the option to turn those things off like omega stages in smash bros. That was a great example of a competitive game still being willing to cater to casuals.
>>
>>25605543
>What are super luck, scope lens, lucky chant and high crit moves?
>>
>>25605472
It's a JRPG staple that was present in the series in its inception, long before anyone ever thought it would take off the way it did?
>>
>>25605566
things that only one pokemon ever has been able to build around. If they made it more accessible it would be fine
>>
>>25605543
But you can build around them in Gen VI. With just+3 Crit you have 100% crit chance, and Focus Energy alone gives you +2 (50%).

>>25605472
I like what Gen VI did with crits, made them more consistent but toned down the damage.
I think they'd be perfect if instead of totally ignoring defense they cut the opponent's defensive buffs in half (rounding down). Turns it into more of a legitimate mechanic to counter buffs/stalling and not just a random chance to totally fuck over your opponent's effort.
>>
>>25605472

Name a (good) JRPG that doesn't have critical hits.
>>
>>25605595
Plenty of Pokemon can build around crits or protecting against crits.

Farfetch'd has stick, everything else can use scope lens. High crit moves are fairly common, and a few pokes get super luck. There is even Sniper as well, and plenty of pokes learn lucky chant to prevent crits.

Just because people are too lazy to build around crits doesn't mean they can't be built around.
>>
>>25605472
I agree. I know it's an RPG and all, but the large majority of pokemon get KO'd way too easily for crits to even exist
>>
>>25605472
The ability gale wings
>>
>>25605590
It's an rpg staple you fuck. Was in D&D and Ultima long before the first jrpg came out.
>>
Critical ignore defense boosts. They're a countermeasure against moves like Iron Defense, Calm Mind, etc.
>>
>>25605659
>Name a (good) JRPG
Well there's your problem anon
>>
>>25605714
Why not just have moves that automatically do that like how aerial ace ignores accuracy? Crits are a shit mechanic only liked by braindead children and the developers.
>>
>>25605751
We already have them, though. Frost Breath, Storm Throw, and Chip Away.
>>
>>25605751
>Why not just have moves that automatically do that
Frost Breath, Storm Throw, and Chip Away
>>
>>25605772
Ok so how can you justify crits?
>>
>>25605787
Not every Pokémon has access to those moves
>>
>>25605651
I like this solution. Keeps them in for people who insist on them doesn't destroy stall and doesn't (well too much anyways) lead to accidentally one hitting a foe.
>>
>>25605836
Why not just make them more available like how the evasion ignoring moves were in gens 3 and 4
>>
>>25605856
>Why don't all Pokémon just have the same moves
Fuck off Bernie
>>
File: Trash.jpg (25 KB, 321x285) Image search: [Google]
Trash.jpg
25 KB, 321x285
>>25605472
>I want Pokémon to become a game of cold numbers
>>
>>25605552
This
>>
>>25605899
It still is though. It's just some of the numbers are randomly generated.
>>
File: lol.jpg (35 KB, 229x343) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
35 KB, 229x343
>>25605552
>Implying smash is competitive
I know this is b8 but jesus
>>
managing luck is also a skill.
>>
>>25605918
don't you know anon randomly generated numbers are lewd and hot
>>
>>25605923
This. It's like poker. You do the best with what your given.
>>
>>25605976
>people actually believe this
poker is a game of skill, pokemon is a game of luck
>>
>>25606025
The point is both have an amount of uncertainty. It's not like chess where the only unknown is what your opponent will do.
>>
>>25605472
I like crits against stall players. Criting M-Sableye and Chansey always feels good.
>>
>>25606078
there's already PLENTY of uncertainty and luck management in pokemon already without crits. remove crits and pokemon still has damage rolls, move accuracy, flinching, status side effects chance, speed ties, etc. but critical hits are the only thing you can't counter or plan around other than having niche shit like lucky chant and shell armor.

the obvious solution is to remove random crits, but keep crits for high-crit-chance moves, focus energy, scope lens or w/e, etc
>>
>>25608953
This. My friends and I settled on this a while ago for our foray into essentials.
>>
>>25605725
Well meme'd
>>
>>25605472
That statue guy is pretty hot. Would.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.