[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Grass absorbs Water >Water puts out Fire >Fire burns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: typecycles_zpsd7e9eb59[1].png (127 KB, 922x434) Image search: [Google]
typecycles_zpsd7e9eb59[1].png
127 KB, 922x434
>Grass absorbs Water
>Water puts out Fire
>Fire burns Grass

Easy for children, casuals, and newcomers to figure out using logic.

>Psychic beats Fighting because brains > brawn, and because in RPGs, the Fighter class is usually weak against magic
>Fighting beats Dark because Dark-types rely on dirty and underhanded tactics, while Fighting-types are skilled fighters who play fair
>Dark beats Psychic because the Psychic-type's weaknesses are common fears (Ghost, Bug, Dark), or alternative, since the type is called "Evil" in Japan, the mind of a Dark-type is too horrible for a Psychic-type to read

A bit more abstract, you'd have to already be a hardcore fan to understand this one.
>>
toss sand in his face and hit him in the tits.. fighting dirty beats fighting fair
>>
What about Ground/Flying/Rock?

>Ground breaks up Rock
>Rock whacks Flying
>Flying flies over Ground
>>
>>25604190
Terrible trio. Ground has no weaknesses.
>>
>>25604199
>no weaknesses
>literally can't touch flying types
>>
>>25604185

Dirty tricks like that don't work against martial artists.

People who rely on underhanded tactics have zero skill at actually fighting, and can't beat someone who actually knows how to fight.
>>
Fairy (type) beat dark (type), because of pureness.
>>
>>25604153
>>25604185
I've always thought of it as if Pokemon had to act out a jrpg type of story. Fighting type just seems like the 'main character' and 'chosen hero' type. Dark represents the central antagonists. Only the heroes can beat the bad guys.
>>
Can this thread be about ways to remember the various weaknesses, resistances and whats super effective against what.

for instance, dragon resist all the starter types, grass, water, fire and counting yellow version electric.
>>
Ice>Grass>Rock

I give you the three worst types
>>
File: 1457460205016s.jpg (10 KB, 217x250) Image search: [Google]
1457460205016s.jpg
10 KB, 217x250
>>25604268
>rock
>bad
WHERE IS ROCKMAN
>>
>>25604153
>all this retarded shit for Psy-Warrior-Dark
Dark is meant to be mainly representative of deceit and underhandedness

Wizard>Warrior>Rouge>Wizard
>>
>>25604289
Rock has the same problem as ice in that while it's great at killing things it's absolutely terrible defensively. And like ice where most water types can learn ice moves to get the offensive benefits without the defensive drawbacks, most ground types can learn rock moves to get the benefits without the drawbacks.
>>
Flying < Rock < Fighting is a better triangle than Dark < Fighting < Psychic bc Dark is just straight-up immune to Psychic whereas it's resistances going backwards for the former, like the iconic Fire < Water < Grass.
>>
>>25604228
Except Fairy includes stuff like Klefki and Granbull. It's not a Light type.
>>
>>25604327

>Dazzling Gleam
>Moonblast
>Moonlight
>Light of Ruin

Attack-wise, Fairy basically is a "Light"-type. The Pokemon themselves aren't based around light, but most of their moves are.
>>
File: Justified.png (42 KB, 947x701) Image search: [Google]
Justified.png
42 KB, 947x701
>>25604300

The "honor" thing still applies though.

>Growlithe/Arcanine: Police dogs
>Absol: Warns people and Pokemon about incoming natural disasters, is a Dark-type because mistook it as the cause of the disasters
>Lucario/Gallade/Muskedeers: Noble warriors
>>
>>25604310
>muh patterns
Fuck off autismo
>>
>>25604419
So in other words
Absol best poke 10/10
>>
>>25604231
>>25604153

I heard somewhere that Fighting was called "Hero" type in older translations, while Flying was "Bird," Psychic is "ESP," and Dark is "Evil."

Is this correct?

That might explain a LOT of the type relationships if so
>>
>>25604968

Fighting has always been Fighting in both Japanese and English

Bird was the original name for the Flying-type (hence why Doduo and Dodrio are Flying-types despite being unable to fly)

Psychic is called Esper in Japanese

Dark is called Evil in Japanese
>>
Why not Fairy, Fighting, Steel? None of them are non effective like Psychic -> Dark
>>
Can we discuss why they made both the starter rock paper scissors go in the same direction in Gen 6? They could have had a degree of balance once they were fully evolved, but no. It just seems stupid to me. Maybe they'll do a back and forth for Gen 7. That way it can have the rival challenge early on, then have competitive competency in the endgame.
>>
I think the three solid types should form a triangle in the next generation.

Steel > Rock (Steel is more concentrated), Rock > Ice (Rock is tougher than Ice), Ice > Steel (moisture rusts machinery)
>>
>>25605307
Rock<Ice <Steel.
Steel can break them both, and rust really only works with water type.
Rock < Ice because water that gets in rocks will freeze and expand, breaking up the rock.
>>
>>25604153
What is the purpose of this thread?
>>
>>25604190
That's retarded for the same reason that Dark/Fighting/Psychic is retarded.

If you want a type trio that works, try Fighting/Flying/Rock.
>>
File: You're fucked now, Talonflame.png (242 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
You're fucked now, Talonflame.png
242 KB, 640x360
ROCKMAN, PLEASE
IN ITS TIME OF NEED, THE ROCK TYPE NEEDS YOUR BELLOWS OF TRUTH
I SUMMON YOU WITH AN OFFERING OF SNEAKY PEBBLES
>>
Just do a trio of GFW and another trio of Rock/Fighting/Flying like the monkeys. Maybe a second trio of starters, who knows.
>>
>>25604153
I will never play past gen V because I can't figure out what the fuck fairy is supposed to be
>>
>>25604153

I'm gonna explain why (almost) every type is strong against every time

>Fire
Ice:fire metls ice, duh
Steel: heat makes steel malleable
Grass: forest fires
bug:see above

>Water
Ground: makes the earth all soft and shit
Fire: water puts most fires out
Rock: erosion and stuff

>grass
Water: plants and shit use their roots to absorb the water. Also things like algae and water plants
Ground: because plants live and use the ground, and can also break through ground easily via roots
>rock: i think something about moss groiwing on rocks or something

>electric
flying: lightning usually strikes the highest point, birds are flying and shit
>water: water conducts
>b-but how cum steel aint weak to electric
because water conduction is way more common knowledge and the steel type isn't exclusively steel, it's iron and other minerals and whatever

>psychic
psychic is mostly based on the mind so
fighting:brain over brawl
poison: placebo effect

>ice
Dragon: dragon is based on reptiles and reptiles are cold blooded, so do the math.
ground:water freezing in the ground and causing cracks
>grass: plants usually die or go into hybernation during extreme cold
flying:has to do with birds and their migratory habits since they don't like the cold either
>but den how cum normal week to ice
because normal isn't mostly based on hybernating mammials

>Dragon
Dragon: most likely a "fight fire with fire" analogy because Dragons are pretty fucking tough

>dark
Psychic: fear of the dark
>ghosts: evil people lurk in the shadows and ghost is also based on the shadows, so ghosts aint gonna do much to dark

>fairy
Dragon: something about european folklore i think
dark: probably a light vs dark analogy
fighting: I honestly have no clue about this one besides balance reasons

(1/2)
>>
File: type rivalries.gif (9 KB, 595x492) Image search: [Google]
type rivalries.gif
9 KB, 595x492
>>25604248
I still struggle to remember some myself, but perhaps this image will help you. It lists all the relationships where one type is both super-effective against and resists (or is immune to) another type.

It doesn't show other asymmetric relationships, but it's a great format regardless.
>>
>>25604199
Water?
>>
>>25606897
>because water conduction is way more common knowledge and the steel type isn't exclusively steel, it's iron and other minerals and whatever

Not to mention, electricity can separate water into its gases.
>>
File: 14242505_p0_master1200.jpg (126 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
14242505_p0_master1200.jpg
126 KB, 600x600
I think it's awesome that the Kalos starter Pokemon had the dark, psychic, and fighting typing. But I think we need a new trio typing for the second typing.
I think that the best would be Fairy > Fighting > Steel
>>
>Normal
Nothing, cause they're just normal

>fighting
Normal: A normal guy will never beat a professional fighter in a fair fight, ever.
>ice/rock/steel: blah blah training lets you break hard objects or something or lift them or whatever.
>dark:fighting is seen as honorable. dark is mostly seen as dishonorable/evil. Good vs. Evil analogy.

>flying
grass: probably because some birds eat plants and stuff and use plant parts for nesting
bug:birds eat bugs
fighting:um....most likely another analogy, but I see it as "higher ground" or "hit and run tactics"

>poison
grass: pollution can really fuck up an ecosystem
faiiry: see above

>ground
fire: people use dirt to put out a fire
steel:probably has something to do with construction, cause an earthquake can demolish a building.
rock: um... your guess is as good as mine, cant really think of a reason
electric: electricity can't run through the ground, kinda like a neutralizer
Poison: ground and shit that grows from the ground are commonly used as ingredients to cure toxins

>rock
flying:another analogy "kill two birds with one stone:
fire: use rocks to contain a fire, thats why people surround a campfire with rocks
ice:rock is harder than ice
bug:rock squish bug.

>bug
psychic:another fear of the mind
grass: bugs eat grass/plants and use them as shelter
>BUT SOME PLANTS EAT BUGS
not commonplace, there are very few plant species that use bugs for food, compared to most bug/insect species that use plants
dark:another weird one, but I'm assuming its taking the whole "darkness" aspect of dark. many bugs are nocturnal, and lurk in the dark. They use the darkness as a weapon, I suppose

>ghost
ghost: because spectral beings always interact with each other?
psychic: yet another fear of the mind

>steel
rock/ice:steel is harder than both
fairy: supposily in european folklore, cold iron is seen as a poison to fairy creatures.

(2/2)
>>
>>25606897
>Steel: heat makes steel malleable
Aside from that, Steel also conducts heat very easily, meaning a steel coat would make you more vulnerable to excess heat.

>bug:see above
Also, frying bugs with a magnifying glass is a common cliche.

>Ground: makes the earth all soft and shit
Just say erosion for it as well.

>rock: i think something about moss groiwing on rocks or something
Again, this comes back to erosion, plants play a major role in eroding rock, and the roots of trees can break through rock as well as soil.

>b-but how cum steel aint weak to electric
>because water conduction is way more common knowledge and the steel type isn't exclusively steel, it's iron and other minerals and whatever
It should be noted, as well, that Electric is one of the few types that Steel does not resist, meaning it's more effective than most things against it.

>fighting:brain over brawl
It can also be linked to Kū, and reading an opponent's movements before they strike you. Psychics would naturally be able to predict how a fighter is going to react.

>poison: placebo effect
It more likely has to do with Psychic healing, a phenomenon that allows Psychics to supposedly do things such as purge poison from the body.

>flying:has to do with birds and their migratory habits since they don't like the cold either
Also, flight is harder in cold conditions.

>Dragon: most likely a "fight fire with fire" analogy because Dragons are pretty fucking tough
In many legends, the only thing strong enough to pierce Dragon hide are Dragons.

>fighting: I honestly have no clue about this one besides balance reasons
Fairies are known for their mischievous nature, this one probably links back to "mind vs. matter", where fairies can mislead and deceive fighters. Also magic, which often trumps fighters in fiction.
>>
>>25607085
>Normal: A normal guy will never beat a professional fighter in a fair fight, ever.
Futhermore, most fighting styles are designed around defeating a normal opponent, so of course fighting would be better at dealing damage to a normal foe.

>fighting:um....most likely another analogy, but I see it as "higher ground" or "hit and run tactics"
Also, bird's bones tend to be fairly flexible and light weight, and their weird anatomies would make typical fighting techniques kind of hard. Also, most of their attacks utilize wind, which would be very difficulty for a fighter to defend against.

>rock: um... your guess is as good as mine, cant really think of a reason
Earth can ground down rock, I suppose. Or Earthquakes can cause rocks to break apart. Take your pick.
>>
>>25604199
Are you retarded?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.