[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, can we cut the shit for a second and talk about X/Y?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 1455596192936.png (2 MB, 1800x1067) Image search: [Google]
1455596192936.png
2 MB, 1800x1067
Alright, can we cut the shit for a second and talk about X/Y? Now here me out. I've been replaying this game. I'm a little biased. I'm otherwised prepare to argue that this is one of the better games in the series. Up there with Emerald and HG/SS.

> The literally incredible variety of Pokemon.

On the way to Cyllage city I caught a honedge, bagon, absol, an aerodactyl and a tyrunt. On occasion I don't catch that many Pokemon in a game.

>Customization

Holllly shit. Holy shit. You can change your character's appearance. Do you not remember how awesome this was? Finally getting that bag, that hat, those shoes? Literally the flyest shit.

>Difficulty, sans EXP share.

Given the EXP share breaks the game, but turn it off annnnnd. Grind city. Between two routes the game steps up from level 28s to level 38s. That's not a fucking joke, Korrinna to Clemont is only two routes and a city. I had rando trainers using potions on me, and the crits are unbelievable.

tl:dr Play X/Y again, you'll fucking orgasm.
>>
>>25602322
I agree for the most part. The brainless AI is a bother, but XY had so much going for it. It was fun and visually stunning and comfy. Laverre is one of the best cities ever done.
>>
The only thing I think is truly bad about XY is that the pacing falls apart after getting the mega bracelet. Everything up to Korrina's third battle is good, but after that it's just a gym after gym marathon with little worldbuilding. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the point where they started rushing it.
>>
X/Y were great games. The visuals and the music made it feel like an adventure. I also loved the pokemon distribution throughout the region. I spent a lot of time trying to catch them all in each route. Team building was easier which is nice. I think it's just the /vp/ meme to hate gen 6, but give it a few months after s&m and they'll probably want to go back again like gen 5.
>>
>>25602322
>tl:dr Play X/Y again, you'll fucking orgasm.
Jokes on you, I'm playing it again and I've grown to dislike it more than I did the first time around. The game completely falls apart after the Reflection Cave, and even before then it can be a slog to get through.
>The literally incredible variety of Pokemon.
The incredible variety of OLD Pokémon that completely overshadow the majority of the new additions and strip the region of any kind of identity.
>Customization
It's cool, but it's still lacking in some areas, and thanks to Gamefreak's buttfuck retarded logic it's probably not going to return.
>Difficulty, sans EXP share.
Even without it I only had a hard time twice, once against Grant and against the Battle Girl in Reflection Cave with Throh and Hawlucha. Both of these are early game.
I'd honestly say that XY were the weakest games in the series, matched only by GSC. I just can't enjoy playing them.
>>
>>25602376
I agree with this, although the short Team Flare arc gave the game some life in the end. Everything from 8th gym onwards though felt horribly empty and devoid of meaning for some reason. I really liked the ending, though I wish it was just the PC and the opposite gender rival that got the badges of honor instead of all of your dumbass "friends" which didn't do fuck all to stop the crisis.
>>
>>25602322
i enjoyed playing with the new pokemon like Heliolisk, Aurorus etc. as well as some old ones in 3D like Aerodactyl, which i chose as the flyier cause of the mega
Also little touches like Super Training and Amie were fine but other than that i found the main game pretty boring, expecially the gyms and other "dungeons" like the powerplant and the pokeball factory (how do you even manage to make a pokeball factory boring)
>>
>>25602563

Actually using aero as my mega rn. Kinda hate it's design.
>>
File: 18032011273.jpg (916 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
18032011273.jpg
916 KB, 2048x1536
I started playing X for the first time last week, been waiting for Z this whole time but you know how that went...

It's.. okay I guess. A mixed bag of good decisions with horrible ones. I'm sorry but whoever approved of the idea that the roller skates should be unremovable and mapped on C-pad should be shot. Walking with D-pad is plain awful. Lumiose City and other places with this dynamic camera rub me the wrong way, I can't see the surroundings very well and this way it controls like ass. I thing B/W did a better job on the camera scripting in large places and cities.

The selection of Pokémon in the wild is good. It was a pleasant surprise to see Riolu in tall grass before the first bagde. In fact, I've never felt so overwhelmed by the selection and I can't decide what to train, though I didn't like any of the Flying types available and had to pass on all the sky battles. Also, what was the point of splitting the Kalos dex into Central, Coastal etc? Seems absolutely redundant.

Many people complain about the Pokémon 3D models, I think they're great. It's the human models that irk the hell out of me, in contrast with the Pokémon ones they're just terribad.

The new EXP Share mechanic is very very helpful for quick raising of weak mons and getting them through their evo stages if you just want to fill the dex. I like it.

Trainer customization seems like a waste of money, maybe I'll try it in postgame if I have some spare cash to spend.

Oh, and apparently I can't sign my card now? Kinda disappointing, pic related is my card from Black.
>>
I love XY and as much of Kalos as we saw, but it really feels to me as if they held half of it back expecting to make a third game. I want to play the complete Kalos!
>>
>>25602322
I always wonder how it happens: we somehow manage to go from entire threads of nothing but despising X/Y, to threads where very few bad things are said about them. Same goes for any generation, really, but X/Y and Gen 5 have been more prominent lately
>>
>>25602322

The amount of pokemon in routes are amazing in which it's now really rare for people to share 2+ pokes in the same team.

But the pacing takes an absolute nosedive immediately after the 3rd gym and was more like WE GOTTA FINISH THIS NOWWWWW, OH SHIT WE'RE AT THE 7TH GYM ALREADY AND BARELY DID ANYTHING WITH TEAM FLARE, GOTTAA FINISH THEIR ARC NOWWWWW!

If the entire game kept the pacing of the 1st gym to the 2nd and the 2nd to the tird, and gave the gym leaders more pokemon, it would have been a better game.
>>
I'm not going to lie, I got X on midnight release on Friday and beat it before I went to bed on Sunday, so I don't think I ever really got to enjoy or appreciate the game for anything other than a bicycle simulator. Is it really worth another (slower) playthrough? I already transferred everything to Bank/OR, so there's no reason not to except access to friend safaris.
>>
I really like XY for most things other than the god awful pacing

>1st to 3rd gym was good
>HOLY SHIT WE'RE AT THE 7TH GYM GUYS WE FORGOT TEAM FLARE LETS FIT THE WHOLE ARC IN RIGHT NOW

what I dont understand is why people spend so much time shitting on XY when D/P were a million times worse
>>
>>25602322
The first part of the game was great. Then it just felt rushed after the Korrina Mega-evolution battle. If they had kept the same quality as the first three gyms throughout the game, it would have been one of the best in the series. But then the game just threw too much at you too quickly and you ended up flying through the rest of the game.

I personally didn't really care about Amie and customisation, although I'm not mad about their inclusion. Some people really enjoyed these features so I wouldn't call them a waste of resources.

I'm about to start my second playthrough of X. I'll probably be able to appreciate it more though (the same thing happened with gen 5).
>>
>>25606167

Because at least D/P had Platinum.

XY has no 3rd game or sequel to improve. D/P was really really slow and it had questionable choices, like the lack of fire and electric types, and also with XY we were coming off the 5 year high starting with Platinum and ending with BW2.
>>
File: output_9mxdmM.gif (4 MB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
output_9mxdmM.gif
4 MB, 480x480
My Y broke so I can't even go back to the game in attempt to see if it does anything for me anymore. I'm stuck playing Omega Ruby instead, which honestly sucks because Hoenn is the worst region in the series

I remember hating how delayed the early game felt, but feeling more disappointed by the end when the rest of the game barely felt like anything. Despite such a nice, expansive looking world it's plain as shit and somehow boring. And all the characters are some of the worst in the series so even if I did want to do another playthrough I'll be skipping through the meat of the game because I can't stand anybody

I also hated the overworld gimmicks because they felt unpolished and slowed the game to a crawl. Riding Rhydon and Mamoswine somehow felt less epic as I'd expect. Also dubious design choices like that one cave where you get Kangaskhan and Mawile being tremendously horrible or the fact they green lit Lumiose when you don't have a second stick to control your camera

These games feel like tech demos for a Pokemon game, which is probably why they relied so hard on prior generations for numbers or redesigning older Pokemon for Megas. At least the Pokedex is more impressive than Hoenn
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.