[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pokemon Comfy - /vp/ makes a region #5
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: Comfy.png (17 KB, 619x436) Image search: [Google]
Comfy.png
17 KB, 619x436
Handy Links:
Google Document -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FR1takW9YxRjmo4B1JmqFSyHlIQ0xTzex2K5sbls6mc/edit?usp=sharing
Trello Board - https://trello.com/invite/pokemoncomfy/d882bc0f812748333827a9a00b0f829b
IRC - Rizon #PokeComfy
What's Established: Please Read! - https://docs.google.com/document/d/18EsZbl_BByIm8M_Wdc7roA4i9ASIEGuOkjz9_8-Why8/edit?usp=sharing
Last Thread - >>25581457

To do this time:
Map some routes/towns
Add to the story [check the spreadsheet for info]
Describe features of some of the cities/towns/routes. What is the feel? What are the quirky features?
>>
What a shit fucking region. Also, is that spreadsheet your excuse for a map? Christ, how about /vp/ makes a gun and shoots itself.
>>
>>25600284
This is truly the coolest guy.

Anyway, did you ever answer my question about where in this region I can get a coffee or an ice-cream? Because a cozy café is a must.
>>
>>25600379
I'd say your best bet is in Comphona.

Or maybe a cafe for the hardworking miners in Boldral town?
>>
>>25600489
A café among the flowers would be pretty neat, actually. It's an outdoor one.

A small resting area for the miners would add flavour, too. Not much, just a small kitchen where some of them are taking a break.
>>
>>25600526
Or why not two cafés? One fancy one in Comphona, and a lot more "blue collar" one in the mining town. Could make an interesting contrast.
>>
>>25600535
Especially if the people running both Cafes are relatives.
>>
Is there any religious sites in this region? Like the church, pokémon tower and so on were in the real games. A small shrine out in the woods devoted to a legendary pokémon, or a quiet, serene memorial site for pokémon thst have passed away would be nice.
>>
>>25600543
I like this.
>>
Since the mom is a gym leader, can our dad be a stay at home dad? I think that'd be pretty rad.

Architecture, landscaping, exterior & interior design makes my clit rock hard, so I may post some helpful resources pertaining to stuff like that.
>>
>>25600581
Sounds cool. Better than the kid being left alone at home all day.
>>
>>25600581
>Having a Dad that isn't Norman
>In a Pokemon Game
>>
How to make Backgrounds look at least 99% more Comfy:

http://bakenius.blogspot.nl/2015/11/backgrounddesign-how-to-look-for-visual.html

It's a long ass tutorial, but the cool thing about it (aside from the comfy visuals) is that it actually teaches you how to do research and shit for pretty much ANY type of location.

Perhaps the link to the blog should be kept on the doc or the trello somewhere?
>>
The lack of dads in a Pokemon game has always been one of the franchise's weaker points if I'm being honest.

I mean I get it. Most people have moms. For a lot of people not having a father in t he picture is a pretty common occurence.

But it feels like...a dated concept at this point? Like I kinda roll my eyes whenever a Disney character has dead parents because it feels like a quick & cheap way to get us to "empathize" with the protag because "omg if my parents died I'd be sad ;__; "

Also maybe I'd like to see a fictional dad who is nice for once idk.
>>
Idea for drinks you can get at the café:
Coffee: Heals 70 HP (yes, it's slightly better, slightly more expensive water)
Espresso: Heals small amount (10 HP?) and cures Sleep.
Hot Cocoa: Heals small amount (same as espresso) and cures Freeze.

How does that sound?
>>
>>25600610
This.

Maybe the kid was a kind of "miracle" lifeline for the parent couple, who found it hard to conceive. Instead of a broken home, it's one that's supportive and coherent. Would be a nice change.

It's my first time contributing to these threads, but has there been any discussion on the dad having a bro-tier Pokémon that helps him and acts like the kid's brother/part of the family?
>>
Why does the region look like a giant fucking potato? You'd be better off laying out a bunch of macaroni noodles on a piece of paper and tracing over it with some extra wiggly lines thrown in for variation.

I'm not even being sarcastic, I've actually seen people produce something passable using this method.

Also you could always look at a map of South America, flip it around in a way and cut things off so that it's slightly less obvious.
>>
>>25600635
>Maybe the kid was a kind of "miracle" lifeline for the parent couple, who found it hard to conceive. Instead of a broken home, it's one that's supportive and coherent. Would be a nice change.
>It's my first time contributing to these threads, but has there been any discussion on the dad having a bro-tier Pokémon that helps him and acts like the kid's brother/part of the family?

It's my first time contributing too!

Also that is such a freaking adorable concept. I don't know how the protag's conception would be talked about in a Pokemon Game, but I love it as just like a production note or sorta implied.

bro-tier Pokemon is also really neat
>>
So a stay-at-home dad with a bro-tier pokemon that's like part of the family?

That sounds like he's a Pokemon Breeder to me.
>>
File: fisrena.png (30 KB, 513x386) Image search: [Google]
fisrena.png
30 KB, 513x386
>>25600379
Well as ive begun messing around in RPGXP, I can easily add it that your mom will give you coffee.

>>25600489
>>25600526
These are good ideas.

>>25600581
The thing is, the Mom runs the gym from just outside the house- so it's not like she's away a lot.

While creating teh starting town I was testing out what I could do with events and made it that you can check the mailbox and [one time only] receive a mail item. The problem is you cant attach a message to the mail unless its on a pokemon. - A shame as I was going to make it from the players father.

>>25600598
This is cool.

>>25600635
Thinking about dad things, I was going to give mom a script that gave you an item every time you visited her with a new badge, however i could just give that to a father character instead and make him a chill supportive dad.

>>25600891
Would be a cool couple - Grass type gym leader and easy going breeder.

Anyway, I have to work tonight so I wont be able to make any progress other than posting here occasionally.
Things that would be useful to me at the moment would be if someone who is good at pixelart/spriting wanted to convert the designs we already have into sprites that i can then use in-game instead of using placeholders.

My progress so far: entirely mapped the player house and Fisrena Town. Scripted mom, mostly, will need to come back later to give her walk-to-gymbattle-location and backagain afterwards scripts.
Scripted most of the town, bar interiors.
To do: Map mart, 3 houses and lab, script professor giving starter and the event of Anna running off without her bag.

I also need to add some sort of prevention to stop the player leaving into route1 before getting the starter. None of that stuffs too hard though.

I set it to rain at 66% chance in fisrena, but im not sure if thats too high or not.

Oh and mom gives you the running shoes as you leave the house the first time, I know someone asked for that.
>>
>>25602384
I forgot to link these.
http://i.imgur.com/vtLos2y.png
http://i.imgur.com/fwJBEfB.gifv
>>
>>25602509
>http://i.imgur.com/vtLos2y.png
That's a really good aesthetic, but it's kinda big. If you could make it a little more compact it would be less irritating to run around.
>http://i.imgur.com/fwJBEfB.gifv
It's good, but it feels just a little too big.
Keep up the work though, that's awesome progress!
>>
File: personelle.jpg (83 KB, 503x383) Image search: [Google]
personelle.jpg
83 KB, 503x383
>>25600284
>>
>>25602509
The town is indeed needlessly big.
Also, the language you used is... simple. Not bad per se, just slightly dull. I could help with that if I knew how. You'll have to decide if you'll do most of the stuff yourself or if you'll set up some sort of a system through which others can add things (like script events or add/tweak maps) soon.
>>
>>25602640
As far as size goes it's not as bad as it looks, the top half is inaccessible until end game. There's a waterfall there but I haven't edited the tile in yet. Might move a few of the houses closer though.
>>
>>25602929
I can easily change the dialogue if people think it could do with it.

I've also set the examine text to change colour depending on the player gender as it's supposed to be an internal monologue of sorts.
>>
>>25602509
Honestly there needs to be more colors, all i see is green
>>
>>25602509
i think you should make it smaller, if only to give the feeling of a small village where everyone knows everyone
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.