[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do the models look so much worse than the sprites did? Every
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9
File: sprite evolution.png (11 KB, 503x158) Image search: [Google]
sprite evolution.png
11 KB, 503x158
Why do the models look so much worse than the sprites did?
Every Pokemon is in a fucking t-pose. I understand it's not simple to animate that many Pokemon, but they could at least try.
>>
>>25598639
I don't think you understand what a T pose is.
Anyway the game probably dropped more frames than your mother dropped you when they tried more animations due to the absurd poly counts on the models.
>>
I like both, I think you're just mad because Smeargle's model looks a bit off.
>>
>>25598639
The idle poses suffer because they need to be simple enough that the animations can start from them and lead into them without too much effort.

Some of them look shoddy but it pays off when you see some of the more complex animations like Rayquaza, Donphan, etc.
>>
>>25598639
>Why do the models look so much worse than the sprites did?
Who cares? You probably look much worse in reality than in pics
>>
File: Donphan-M_XY[1].gif (221 KB, 109x67) Image search: [Google]
Donphan-M_XY[1].gif
221 KB, 109x67
>>25598832
>complex animations
>>
>>25598639
The model Smeargle is a fucking stone that barely moves, painful to watch. Looks dead inside too,
>>
>>25598639
You're confusing the models with the animations. The model are nearly all good, but a lot of animations are bad.
>>
>>25599024
The models are surprisingly high quality, but their all discoloured. All the models are washed out and weird looking.
I know it was silly to expect the models to be like that Unova Pokedex thing, but I can only hope they eventually reach that point. They could at least make a new stadium game.
>>
>>25599043
>but their all discoloured
I think they purposely went back to the concept art by Sugimori instead of using sprite colors as their basis.
>>
>>25599024
Pretty much this. Its not that the models necessarily are bad, but because most pokemon dont move an inch, a lot of them look emotionless or dead.

The old 3D models for console games often had pokemon brimming with personality. I know Ludicolo is still sorta dancing in this version, but nothing will beat its hyperactive bouncing that it use to do.
>>
>>25598671
Stadium has active animations and very low polycount. There is no excuse.
>>
File: 1403184510215.jpg (2 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
1403184510215.jpg
2 MB, 5000x5000
>>25598639
Now that they're done with the hard work of creating 720+ detailed models, they'll have some free time to go back and fix up the animations.
>>
>>25599111
>Gamefreak
>hard work
Haha
>>
>>25599099
See, the keyword you used there was low.
X and Y have and extremely high poly count as well as battle formats that can place up to six pokemon on the field.
>>
>>25599131
>Implying they needed to do all those models
>Implying that wasn't hardwork
>>
I never understood why the models needed such a high polycount when the screens on the 3ds are so small and have such a shit resolution. Could you really tell the difference if it was rendered with something like Stadium levels of detail? It would all be horribly pixilated when actually displayed anyway...
>>
>>25599111
I'd rather they focus on actually giving us more than 100 new Pokémon this time.
>>
>>25599243
They're going to be reused, with small touchups here and there, for years.
>>
>>25599259
I'd prefer less new 'Mons. More crossgens, though.
>>
>>25599043
>new stadium game

surely you mean new colosseum game
>>
>>25599591
No, obviously I mean a new Battle Revolution game.
They're the same fucking thing you dunce.
>>
>>25599043
While an HD Pokemon Stadium game of SOME sort would be very much appreciated, face facts, it's prolly not going to happen.
>>
>>25598974
As in move animations. I already addressed idle poses.
>>
>>25599600
Slow down there

Stadium - battle sim with minigames and
Colo - single player game experience plus battle sim
PBR - battle sim
>>
>>25599600
No they're not. Stadium is 100% battles.

Colosseum is like a regular pokemon game in 3d, you can even trade with all the GBA games.
>>
>>25599623
>the same fucking thing
>>
File: 1457501981909.jpg (24 KB, 253x238) Image search: [Google]
1457501981909.jpg
24 KB, 253x238
>>25598639
Oh boy here we go.

>hates 3d models

This is now an autism general thread
>>
>>25599111

Hire a large amount of dump low status programmers, let they create and animate the 700+ Pokemon models and then fire them. Typical capitalism style, nothing of hard work.

Game Freak did a "hard work" on green and red, only a few people do the major job on it.
>>
>>25599631
>XY and ORAS are stadium games because they're in 3D

Colosseum is like an actual pokemon game. It has a plot, you walk around an overworld in third person, battle, catch pokemon, trade, go to pokemon centers, shops, etc

Stadium and revolution were just 3d battle sims
>>
>>25598639
I gave them a pass for XY and ORAS because it was the first tine GF was working with 3D models.

The high polycount suggests that they plan reusing the models for future games, so I expect them to look more lively in them, as everything they have to do is to grab the models and give them new animations.
>>
File: fedoraa.jpg (71 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
fedoraa.jpg
71 KB, 500x500
>>25599640
>tips fedora
>>
They couldn't make the models any better, 3DS starts crapping itself when it has to render more than 2 Pokémon in a battle and the stereoscopic 3D outright disables with 3+ Pokés on the field.

Honestly though, blame the stupid 3D effect. Game Freak would probably go another generation with sprites on such underpowered hardware but the gimmick dictated that MUH 3D needs to be shown off with actual polygon models. At least Amie made it easier to accept the new models, but some Pokémon do look pretty bad.
>>
every fucking time

>people judge the status screen model than battle one
>>
>>25599644
Stadium, Colosseum and Battle Revolution are the same thing.
Why are you trying to pretend they aren't?
>>
Man I just realized smeargles design kinda falls into uncanny valley.

It's just so... Weird
And that gen III sprite is absolutely terrible
>>
>>25599730
Just stop replying to this guy, he's obviously baiting.
>>
I think a lot of the models are quite good, but the animations aren't.

However, with the next gen being made specifically with 3D models and no sprites, I think they'll look a whole lot better.
>>
>>25598639
They animated the shit out of Mr. Mime, they could have at least bent the brush like in the first one
>>
>>25599644
If that is true of Colosseum then I have to play that shit
>>
>>25599730
You do not walk anywhere in Stadium, I don't know what Battle Revolution is like
>>
>>25602079
Don't walk anywhere in battle revolution either. It's a good looking game though.
>>
>>25598639
Because you have shit taste
I bet Gen V is your favorite too
>>
>>25599609
I think the faggot has never seen models outside of Showdown and dont understands every move has an amination
Play the games, faggot OP, before you start to criticize
>>
File: SmeargleAmie.gif (751 KB, 320x239) Image search: [Google]
SmeargleAmie.gif
751 KB, 320x239
>>25598639
because you have no taste
>>
>>25598832
>they need to be simple enough that the animations can start from them
thats just bad planning
you can have a dynamic or expressive idle pose where animations can start and end

for example, sneasel's idle is prety good, its expressive
ludicolo, kirlia and hitmontop are dancing
spinda is drunk
Mr.Mime is miming
Mega khangaskan, hitmonchan and poliwrath hve their arms up ready to fight

but some models like scizor or smeargle they are just plain standing up, like they are waiting in line, not ready to fight their opponent

It's not bad animation, it's bad posing

this not to mention the awkward ever-flying stances because of air battles
>>
>>25602289
Buneary is cute as fucking shit in hell. I feel like they did a lot of work on some animations and released games while still working on the rest.
>>
>>25598639
Because even if the models are really well animated and look great in general, their neutral posing is pretty fucking shit. Look at Delphox, the art of it makes the fur more dynamic and work with the design, it looks good in motion, but the neutral pose makes it look stiff and shitty.
>>
>>25598639
>it's an "I don't know the difference between models and animation/posing" thread
>>
>>25602529
The models are what is doing it, tbf
>>
>>25599706
The 3DS is fine, Game Freak is just shit. They don't know how to optimize their games for 3D, just look at the absurd polycounts the Pokemon models have.
>>
Good to see game freak apologists are still hard at work.
>>
>>25604454
GameFreak being shit does not make the 3DS fine. There's no excuse for a 240p handheld when phones can run games at 2k.
>>
File: 1455658461887.jpg (16 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1455658461887.jpg
16 KB, 480x480
>people complaining about 720 completely new 3d models each with dozens of completely new animations
>>
File: 5373358627.jpg (336 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
5373358627.jpg
336 KB, 900x900
>>25599655
>his mom in the mirror
>>
>it's another "i'll base my judgment on gifs and showdown pokemon" thread
But of course.
>>
>>25598639
maybe try playing the actual game for once instead of basing your opinion on the shitty showdown gifs that show absolutely nothing
>>
File: unown-interrogation.gif (57 KB, 55x56) Image search: [Google]
unown-interrogation.gif
57 KB, 55x56
>>25599706
>tfw Pokemon-Amie was lame and only had 3 Mario Party tier minigames

It's a step in the right direction for making the world feel more lively and not just a battle simulator. I was surprised ORAS kept it, though they kind of shoved it off to the side in the Dex Nav and didn't even bother to touch it up

I really hope Sun and Moon add more shit to it outside of just rubbing, feeding and three minigames. Not sure how, maybe other food than just Pokepuffs or different backgrounds
>>
>>25604591
>and three minigames
we could have more minigames, bring back voltorb flip and surfing pikachu
maybe cooking minigames to make diverse food to give them
shove in a half assed pokemon pinball if anything

but to make it even better we could have multiplayer minigames, like stadium and entralink. This would be perfect
>>
3D models are inherently inferior to 2D sprites, that's why. But this is the modern age, where no one wants to bother with that shit anymore. Just throw some polygons together, slap on a low resolution texture, make some shitty, two second idle animation, and call it a day.
>>
>>25605005
>Just throw some polygons together, slap on a low resolution texture, make some shitty, two second idle animation, and call it a day.
That is still implying that it's 100x better than previous Game Freak sprites.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.