[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>there are Johto Pokemon that can't be found in Johto
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 3
File: 229Houndoom[1].png (118 KB, 475x475) Image search: [Google]
229Houndoom[1].png
118 KB, 475x475
>there are Johto Pokemon that can't be found in Johto
Who's brilliant idea was this one?
>>
>>25598331
The same people who would give us only Johto because they were bad coding in that time.
>>
Even worse is that they didn't really fix it IIRC for HGSS.
>>
>>25598331
What seems to be the problem? You can just evolve Houndour
>>
>>25598393
>houndour
>in Johto
>>
>>25598393
You're an idiot.
>>
What's wrong with saving pokemon for the post game?
>>
>>25598393
Houndour is only in Kanto, dumbass.
>>
>advertise Dark and Steel Pokemon as a major feature
>grand total of 6 dark types
>FOUR of the dark types are either in Kanto or postgame
>one of the other two is very late in Johto
>only other option is Umbreon, assuming you don't want to evolve Eevee into something else and/or breed another
You think they'd have made Houndour and Murkrow early route Pokemon, especially with how few new fire types there were.
>>
>>25598410

Kanto isn't postgame, it's part of the main game

The only postgame content is Mt. Silver and Red
>>
Any very basic GSC hacks that remedy this?
>>
>>25598331
>Houndour
>Johto
何これ? ww
>>
>>25598410
Because all the Pokemon in Kanto are an incredibly low level and grinding them up to a usable level would take forever.
>>
>>25598441
>Kanto isn't postgame
>beat the game
>credits roll
>unlock Kanto
It's postgame and without that postgame Johto becomes more pathetic.
>>
>>25598410
Because it was so poorly done?
Kanto is a fucking wasteland with babymons waddling about.
>>
G/S was pretty shit in general, definitely the worst gen even if the lore/concept was cool

it just felt like they rushed it out due to the massive unexpected success of the first games

glad HG/SS made it what it should have been
>>
>>25598331
It inhabit the rough-terrain.
>>
>>25598410
Johto, in general, had a real issue with new Pokemon. Let's take a look at what new Pokemon the player likely wouldn't be able to use during their initial playthrough:
>6 Pokemon who had a 1% spawn rate outside of rare events that you'd only know about if you knew which people to register in your phone (including Marril, of all things). Three of these evolve, taking up 9 slots total.
>5 legendaries, only one of which is even reasonably obtainable before beating the elite four
>6 baby Pokemon
>6 Pokemon requiring an item and trade evolution. Nearly all of these items are extremely difficult to get before Kanto even if you have the means to trade. (or, at the very least, require late-Johto backtracking)
>2 starters you didn't choose, taking up six slots in the Pokemon
>4 version-exclusive Pokemon, 2 of which evolve taking up 6 slots in the Pokedex
>5 Pokemon that can only be obtained in Kanto. 9 counting evolutions
>Blissey
That's a grand total of 48/100 new Pokemon that an average player won't be able to use until they've cleared Johto, and a lot of the ones you can use are shit like Unown, Sunkern, Ledian and Smeargle.

Johto had a serious issue with its Pokemon distribution.
>>
>>25598786
Johto suffers from the same thing as Kalos too may old pokemon and not even new pokemon. I mean I ran into nothing but Kanto crap in G/S/C and hardly any johto mons.

Btw there were suppose to be 181 pokemon but due to shitty software they could only keep 151, the glitch called missingno is literally johto pokemon that when traded to any johto game become johto pokemon. That is why Johto feels so incomplete because it is incomplete, Kanto and Johto are supposed to be the same place.
>>
>>25598786
I'm so glad they fixed the distribution progress in HGSS with the Safari and the Slugma egg. Except for the fact that you still can't get Houndour or Sneasel until Kanto, even though you could get the latter in the Ice Path in fucking Crystal.
>>
>>25598331
Mr. Mime is only native to Sinnoh, Johto, and Kalos.
>>
>>25598817
It was 190 Pokemon initially. Missingno. is 39 different Pokemon, most likely including early designs like Ho-oh and Tyranitar, that they couldn't fit.

No wonder they thought Pokemon would be over by Gen 2.
>>
I don't even remember. Did they just add houndours to kanto with no explanation as to why they weren't there in R/B/Y?
>>
>>25598869
Maybe some migratory bullshit?
>>
>4 out of the 5 new Dark types are not in Johto
>Crystal made Sneasel a 1% encounter on the bottom floor of Ice Path at night
>HGSS didn't fix this shit either

Johto REALLY hated Dark Pokemon
>>
>>25598880
A-at least they made Murkrow and Larvitar available in the Safari.

They were supposed to be this cool, new "Evil" type that could fuck up psychics so I could understand them wanting to make it rare. Just not shoved off into the post game.
>>
>>25598331
>things that aren't a risk problems but faggots act like it is to try to sit on gen 2
Just say the level curve was shit
>>
>>25598817
>>25598861
For Houndour and Slugma, all I can think of is that there was some leftover encounter rate data for those two from RGBY and Gamefreak never bothered to change it. Which other Johto Pokemon can only be found in Kanto? I can't remember now.
>>
>>25598902
>getting this defensive
Come on, anon. He's insulting Gamefreak and their shitty decisions. Don't drag your genwar shit into this.
>>
>>25598916
Slugma, Houndour, Murkrow, Sneasel, Misdreavus, Larvitar
>>
>>25598817
this is what made Gen5 good
no clutter with old pokemon, it felt fresh and novel, rather than saddling you with all this baggage, but still making them available in post-game
>>
>>25598928
Right, now I remember. Thank you.
>>
>>25598880
Steel only fared slightly better. Excluding Magnemite, there were only four of the things and they were all pain-in-the-ass evolutions. (and the rare version-exclusive Skarmory)
>>
>>25598331
They didnt even realize it before releasing crystal which added 1 patch of grass north of the ruins adding what? fucking growlithe and gastly. 2 more Kanto mons. wonderful.
>>
>>25598941
Yeah, everyone forgets that the only new Ghost in the game was introduced in the final dungeon, in 2 caves that needed Waterfall to access, only at night.

Gamefreak logic.
>>
>>25598935
that's what I love about Unova the most
>>
>>25598952
would have been perfect for murkrow or houndour at night. even if 5 to 1 percent chance, it would have been acceptable.
>>
>>25598817

On one hand, I like Unova for having nothing but new mons.

On the other hand, I appreciated the massive variety in pokemon in Kalos. Every route had tons of pokemon and rarely any repeats from earlier routes. It was way better than STILL encountering the same handful of pokemon plus their evolved forms on nearly every route imo. So I can see the merits of both.

Of course that only works when you have 700+ pokemon as opposed to the amount in gen 2.
>>
>>25598331

>There are Kanto Pokemon that can't be found in Kanto

Farfetch'd, Mr. Mime, Jynx, Lapras, and, Lickitung are Johto native, Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee are Sinnoh native through Tyrogue, and Eevee is Kalos native.
>>
>>25598970
I would have massively appreciated if Kalos actually had any fucking pokemon to begin with.
>>
>>25598979
Wasn't Togepi from Unova?
>>
>>25598979
>Kanto Pokemon that can't be found in Kanto
Mew, that's the only one.
>>
>>25598980

>pokemon don't count if they're not new

wow what a faggot.
>>
>>25598854
>>25598979
Mr. Mime not native to Johto. In GSC it was found only in Kanto, and in the remakes it's in the Safari, implying it was imported from another region.
>>
>>25598998

But they were shitty in-game trades and giftmons. They weren't from Kanto.
>>
>>25598920
Either way this isn't a problem IMO. In gen 2, the Pokemon were mixed in cohesively. It wasn't about delegating two groups into categories. For that reason, I always felt like gen 2 and 1 mons fit together
>>
File: 1387857795917.jpg (33 KB, 544x517) Image search: [Google]
1387857795917.jpg
33 KB, 544x517
Why are people saying HGSS didn't help fix this problem?

Thanks to the Safari Zone, Hondour,Misdreavous, Larvitar and Murkrow can all be found in Johto.
>>
>>25599015
They can be found in Kanto.
Houndour literally can't be obtained in-game in any way until you get to Kanto. There is no Houndour trade, no egg, no nothing.
>>
>>25599023
Houndour can't be found in the Safari until the post game for whatever reason.
>>
>>25599003
He has a point. Unless you're blind it's clear to see the one thing everyone cares about are new Pokemon. Nobody is hyped to use pidgey for the tenth time.
>>
FUN FACT

Out of the combined 23 Pokemon used by the Johto gym leaders, only FOUR of them are actual Johto Pokemon.

I love G/S/C, but I don't get why Gamefreak was so afraid of using actual Johto Pokemon.
>>
>>25599038
>Pidgey
Are you forgetting the three Pokedexes, each with 150 Pokemon? There's no way you have used all of those in the main story of a game before.

I really liked Kalos and its distribution, honestly. So many more opportunities for new bros and bros you may have missed out on from prior games. And all of the kids just end up using the same 6 giftmons anyway
>>
>>25599038
No they don't. How underage of you. You younglings have the wrong priorities in Pokemon
>>
>>25599062
I'm mostly smogonfag, nigga. Not that I don't enjoy beating gyms and stopping an evil team for the seventh time in a row. But strategy and metagame changes are more my thing.

>>25599069
I'm 25. It's always been about the new pokemon.
>>
>>25598521
>WORSE GEN
no, fuck off
>>
>>25599182
which gen is worse
definitely not Gen 1 because being the first it gets some leeway, and it was an all around solid game
plus Yellow was stellar, better than Crystal
>>
>>25599192
>which gen is worse
Gen 3.
>>
johto pokemon distribution is pretty senseless. if you try a nuzlocke without dupes clause in johto you'll have 10 tentacool and 20 ratatta
>>
>>25599192
Leeway my ass GF already had some experience in games under their belt there's no excuse for it being that bad.

That said GSC was worse for making a smaller game that somehow took up more space than the first that was bigger.
>>
>>25599192
>yellow
>better than crystal
you didnt play crystal.
you cum face.
>>
>>25599203
>Wahh muh water
At least they playtested that damn game.
>>
>>25599192
gen 4, gen 5, gen 6
>>
>>25599203
I hate this meme.
>>
>>25598521

gsc had some of the best lore, a great aesthetic, a great region, the best postgame, and a great selection of pokemon between the kanto and johto pokemon; however, the level curve, terrible pokemon distribution, low level wild pokemon, and a barren kanto really hurt the games.

hgss added even more post game, updated the mechanices, and fixed kanto. unfortunately, gf decided to keep the level curve, the low level wild pokemon, and the poor pokemon distribution. hgss are still my favorite games, but they could've been the best games in the series by a huge margin if gf would have fixed these issues
>>
>>25599266
>gsc had some of the best lore
Yeah no. Unown was never really expanded upon in those games and the lore for Ho oh and Lugia were boring.
I mean, one resurrected three pokemon that were fighting and the other ran away when it's tower burned down. Not particularly interesting despite how grand it seems.
>>
>>25598899

>Safari

Safari only exists in HGSS.
>>
>>25599203
Aw what's the matter? Still upset your shitty Johtoddler starters weren't worthy enough to get Megas?
>>
>>25599056

The worst part is they didn't fucking fix it in the remake.

It could all be put down to an inexperienced Game Freak, if it was isolated to Gen 2, considering it was still early. But the fact that they didn't redistribute the mons, or at least make more of them available in the Safari Zone (Before post-game) shows one or a combination of three factors

>Incompetence
>Lack of care
>Too much reverence for the original
>>
>>25598376
Hey you can get Murkrow from the pokewalker.
>>
>>25598869
In RBY you only played during the day.
>>
>>25599286
Does Unown really need expanded on? It's just a spooky living alphabet that haunts some dungeon.
>>
>>25599266

the selection was ass, in which they somewhat improved with crystal, but then took back with HGSS.

Why Gamefreak so stupid?
>>
>>25599354
Day and Night is retarded. You should be able to control the fucking time in the game so you dont have to wait hours to catch a specific fucking pokemon. In B2W2 you can only catch Trapinch in the noon meaning once its 1pm you cant encounter it anymore fuck.
>>
>>25599231
>>25599203
good jokes
>>
>>25599379
>In B2W2 you can only catch Trapinch in the noon meaning once its 1pm you cant encounter it anymore fuck.
>Morning is 4:00AM to 9:59AM
>Day is 10:00AM to 5:59PM
>Night is 6:00PM to 4:59AM
>Trapinch has 15% encounter rate in Reversal Mountain and 5% in the Desert
>At all times and even 'mons found at specific times of day don't stop being available until that time of day ends
Try again.
>>
>>25599524
not joking, gen 4 was so bad I couldn't stomach Diamond, gen V so terrible and has too many bad design Pokémon, only a few of them are cool like Sandile line but most of the rest are trash, and gen VI is even more terrible, it just get worse every gen.
>>
They retconned the series. Johto and Kanto are sister regions, or two halves of a whole. They share the same Pokemon League, dammit.
>>
I really wish people wouldn't call "Generation II" Pokemon "Johto Pokemon" or the same for any generation.

There's a lot of Pokemon that appear in the games that are clearly not native to that region, it's just more blatant in GSC/HGSS. Consider Snorlax, which can't be found in the wild in Kanto, only in two specific areas. If you defeat it, it goes back to the mountains: Sinnoh, which is where wild Munchlax can be found.

There's numerous others, probably including most of the Safari Zone mons and other special field mons like Sudowoodo.
>>
>>25599923
>If you defeat Snorlax, it traverses a whole region and swims across the ocean to its native land to get away from you.
kek
>>
>>25598376
>>25599349
safari zone
>>
>>25600141

Houndoom is in fact in the Safari Zone but I think it's still post-E4 ON account it being available in its 40s with National Dex mons
>>
>>25598393
マジッスカ?ww
>>
>>25599956
Lol
>>
GS was supposed to be a sequel, the "post-game" was instead considered the main game, and they wanted to add new Pokémon to Kanto.
The new Pokémon in GS were also themed around mystery and discovery, which is why you'd have bug types and Aipom that only appear when Headbutting trees, or Wobuffet in one part of a cave that's completely optional. Wanting to keep them mysterious, they decided to not give the Johto gym leaders too many new Pokémon. Stop thinking of them as Johto Pokémon and more as generation II Pokémon. A lot of people often mention that Morty should've had a Misdreavous, but GameFreak wanted to keep this Pokémon and others a secret to showcase the new day/night feature.
I also think they wanted to make the new Pokémon feel very rare, like Shuckle being trade only. You can kind of see this method of rarity in RBY with Pokémon like Jynx and Mr Mime being in-game trade only.

You can think this is all stupid, but this is GameFreak we're talking about, and I'm just trying to make sense of their decisions.
>>
>>25598786
Smeargle was hidden away in an area that required extensive backtracking to, too
>>
Who said it was a Johto pokemon? I don't remember anything saying it was specifically from Johto.
>>
>>25598979
Wild Jynx could be found in HGSS and Japanese Blue's Seafoam Islands.
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 600x450
>Johto
More like
joto
>>
>>25603865
>Japanese
not canon
>>
>>25604078
Fucking what? The Japs make the games, if anything isn't cannon it's the localised ones.
>>
>>25604311
IT'S THE ORIGINAL, SO NO ONE CAN QUESTION IT EVER, IT IS ALWAYS RIGHT, NO MATTER WHAT TIME OR PROGRESS HAPPENS.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.