[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Suicune have its own special version? It's a weird
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 1
File: 11603_front.jpg (84 KB, 640x639) Image search: [Google]
11603_front.jpg
84 KB, 640x639
Why did Suicune have its own special version?

It's a weird choice. Its just one random pokemon out of a legendary trio, not even related to ho-oh and lugia at all.
>>
>>25595753
Best dog innit
>>
>>25595753
Maybe cuz the anime pandering it was receiving in that moment.
>>
I always thought it was the coolest of the three, so I never really wondered why it got its own game. It seemed natural at the time.

In hindsight, it was probably just another example of GameFreak's favoritism.
>>
>>25595753
>not even related to ho-oh
Actually it is related to Ho-oh, according to legends in Ecruteak there were three Pokemon trapped in the Tower as it was burning and Ho-oh resurrected them as Raikou, Entei, and Suicune.
>>
Entei gets a movie
Suicune gets a game
Raikou gets nothing.
>>
>>25595753
Well, the trio were made by Ho-Oh (which only begs the question of why Lugia doesn't get its own trio or anything like that and just sits in a cave in the ocean, while Ho-Oh gets its own tower in its honor), but there's literally nothing that makes Suicune special at all. Game Freak just seems to REALLY like its design, for whatever reason, hence why they put it in Pokken, I guess.

Frankly, if it were up to me, I'd put Raikou in Pokken. At least that way it gets SOMETHING. Suicune already has its own game and Entei gets its own movie. Raikou gets jack shit and just "represents the thunder that happened to be there when the wind put out the fire of the tower".

Then there's also the fact that they're non-bird versions of the legendary birds. But I digress.
>>
>>25595900
raikou got a tv special, pokemon chronicles
>>
>>25595900
Raikou gets an episode in Chronicles.
>>
>>25595928
Lugia's trio is the legendary birds
>>
Honestly it would have made more sense to go Gold Silver Platinum, and then Diamond Pearl Crystal
>>
>>25595753
If I remember correctly, the story of the Burned Tower was that it was struck by thunder, then burned by fire and the flames were put out by the wind/rain. Raikou represents the thunder, Entei represents the fire and Suicune represents the wind/rain. Since Suicune represents the only part that was soothing/calming, it got special preference.
>>
>>25595932
>>25595939
>chronicles
whoop de doo
>>
>>25595900
>Suicune gets a movie
No that was celebi
>>
>>25595928
I thought Lugia's tower was the one that got burnt down?
>>
>>25596304
>I can't read
>>
>>25595932
>>25595939
>A whole movie
>A whole game
>A whole episode
Man thats just not fair.
>>
>>25596309
Going off of the real structures the towers are based on it would have perched on top of what is now Burnt Tower before fleeing to Whirl Islands. Unless of course it never perched on the Tower and instead it was made to honor Lugia.
>>
And this is why they make three box legendaries now instead of two.

Silver didn't have a logical choice for third box mascot, unless they went with Pikachu again.
>>
>>25596240
Does this mean that Pokemon Sun will have beast trio megas, while Pokemon Moon will have bird trio megas?
>>
>>25595753
>not related to ho-oh
Ho-oh literally gave it life though, and it's supposed to be the closest to ho-oh of the three beasts
>>
>>25596329
A whole three episodes (and when combined, they a similar length to a movie).
>>
Aren't the bird trio Lugias' posey and the dog Trio Ho-oh's posey?
>>
>>25596346
The original third mascot was Blastoise, not Pikachu. Yellow was just another version that they made because the Anime was so popular.
>>
>>25596371
Pokemon Sun-exclusive beast trio megas and Pokemon Moon-exclusive bird trio megas confirmed?!
>>
>>25596355
3 episodes is like 66 minutes
>>
>>25596347
Mega Ho-oh will be in Moon and Mega Lugia will be in Sun version. The colors of the crystals are opposite in the titles, this can't be a coincidence.
>>
Because Eusine version would be weird.
>>
>>25596353
Ho-oh > Lugia
Beasts > Birds
As it should be
>>
>>25596406
But water > fire
>>
>>25596412
heat evaporates water
>>
>>25596434
Water douses fire.
>>
>>25596412
Lugia is Psychic/Flying anon, I know it doesn't make sense, but it's the truth
>>
>>25595753
Just Gamefreak being Gamefreak. Judging by the unused event in GS, Entei was supposed to be the big guy of the trio. They probably changed it because it shared a typing with Ho-oh, and they wanted something different for the third version.
>>
>>25596395
What length do you think Pokemon movies are?
>>
Why do you think they switched from starters to legendary Pokemon after first gen?
>>
>>25595900
Raikou gets to be the best mon
>>
>>25596507
Because they couldn't use Red/Green/Blue/Yellow and they needed new colours.
>>
>>25596507
Because they were terrified Gold/Silver would completely fail sales wise, so they included Kanto and more kewl legendaries to make sure people would want G/S. Then the franchise took off. That's why they haven't done another game with a second region (outside of HGSS)
>>
you nonces

Ho-Oh live on top of that tower until it burnt. Entei, Suicune and raikou lived in it already. Ho oh brought them back to life

Lugia isn't related to ho oh. Lugia may as well be the fourth legendary bird
>>
>>25596472
80-90 minimum, more often than not.
>>
>>25596406
I agree anon
>>
>>25595753
Poor planning. They needed SOME kind of mascot for the game and one of the three legendary beasts was the only real contender.
It's why they started including some random superlegendary fagging around in a postgame cave with no lore to speak of in later gens so they'd have something to focus the third game on.
>>
>>25596373
Thanks, that information was helpful.
>>
>>25596346
Venusaur was the original mascot. That's why in the manga, Red uses Saur.

Pikachu didn't become popular until Blue hit the shelves in the USA,

Clefairy and Poliwhirl were other contenders for being the Pokemon mascot, but Pikachu won in the end
>>
>>25596563
Doesn't that include the Pikachu short?
>>
>>25596652
>the manga
There's multiple manga series.
The first one, and most popular one, was Pocket Monsters, where Red starts with a Clefairy and then gets a Pikachu in chapter 3. Those two are his only Pokemon for the rest of the gen 1 series.
In Special, the one you call "the manga" for whatever reason, Red gets a Pikachu in chapter... 5? and it's one of his mains.
In the anime, Pikachu was outright chosen as Ash's starter and main Pokemon.

ALL that shit predates even the announcement that any of these games would be released in the US, and I believe the Japanese release of Blue too.
>>
>>25595900
Raikou gets chucked
>>
>>25596681
Yes. The movies are all 90 minutes long, which is either one long 90 minute movie or a long 70 minute movie and a 20 minute Pikachu short.

The Raikou special was a TV movie that aired all at once, and got a separate home release in Japan. It was never "3 episodes" until 4Kids hacked it up into that for their dub to make it easier to sell to CN or whatever their reasoning was.

In Japan it was also titled "Pokemon Crystal" and was pretty obviously featuring Raikou over Entei and Suicune due to the fact that the other two beasts had already been heavily featured in movies.
>>
>>25595753
Gold = metal
Silver = metal
Crytal = a crystal

nothing about Crystal's conventions made much sense but it was a damn good game.
>>
>>25596807
>Gold = metal
>Silver = metal
>Crystal = gem
Wait a minute...

Diamond = gem
Pearl = gem
Platinum = metal
>>
>>25596447
Your mom douses water.
>>
>>25596863
Got him.
>>
They didn't plan far enough ahead for what would be on the third version cover, hence why every gen after that had a third legendary meant specifically for the third version. Suicune was chosen for Crystal since it made the most sense out of the new (at the time) Legendaries to get it's own game, but it wasn't optimal for marketing.
>>
Alright we picked one of the legendary trios to be a game mascot:

Gen 1: Zapdos
Gen 3: Regirock
Gen 4: Mesprit
Gen 5: Landorus
>>
>>25596816
Yes we've had this conversation before.
>>
>>25597055

Agree
Agree
Disagree, either of the other ones, (probably Azelf)
Agree
>>
>>25596652
Hoow is this relevant to this conversation?

We're talking about what would make sense for a third mascot for gen II.

Pikachu being THE mascot for pokemon means it's the only choice that would "make sense", but they weren't going to do another pokemon yellow so they grabbed a random legendary dog.
>>
If they ever do HD Kanto remakes, it would be interesting if instead of doing FlamingRed and DrippingBlue or whatever they made Pokemon Indigo, with Mewtwo as the mascot.
>>
>>25595753
They had nobody else to put on the cover. It'd be better if they had put all 3 dogs/cats/hamsters instead.

What bothers me more is, why Crystal? Why not Platinum? Then platinum would be called Crystal. Gold, Silver and Platinum. Diamond, Pearl and Crystal.
>>
>>25597219

"DrippingBlue" yes please.
>>
>>25597219
>DrippingBlue
lol
>>
>>25596371
You mean posse?
>>
>>25597327
>>25596371

no puss puss
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.