[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on mega evolution
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 14
File: images.png (6 KB, 229x220) Image search: [Google]
images.png
6 KB, 229x220
Real talk.

At what point do they get redundant, why don't we just want a 2nd or 3rd evolution to some of these Pokemon?

The ones that go over 600 total base States fine. But anything under could just become an actual evolution.

It makes me sad that some of the sweet designs will be wasted on battle only pokemon. Youll never be able to play with one in amie, or have one follow you around.
>>
>Youll never be able to play with one in amie, or have one follow you around.
you are gay
>>
Megas were actually a huge deterrent for me going into Gen 6.

On some level you know that these games don't fall from the sky and the people behind them are gonna keep churning them out so long as they pull in enough to justify the effort/resources, but holy shit, really?

If there was ever something golden to point to to make a case for Pokemon devolving into a soulless profit engine, I would vote for the introduction of megas. It's such a blatant, we're-out-of-ideas attempt to keep the series artificially alive and hold people's attention, and honestly if some attempt were made to make it at least appear like a creative and legitimate design choice I probably wouldn't be half as put-off.

I feel like my attention span is being insulted, like they thought we were gonna leave if they don't push this forced power creep vehicle rite naow. You don't expect me to be content with new Pokemon, so you make a new gimmick by drawing a bunch of spikes on old ones and upping their stats?

I don't know, it just felt disappointing, and after the frankly alien feel of most gen 5/6 designs it was a little much.

Anyhow, end of thoughts on mega evolution\real talk\my blog /vp/. I'd like to hear how Megas actually appeal to you all in case I'm missing something.
>>
>>25590186
Megas made the meta more complicated so better autist bait securing GF profits.
>>
File: sturgeon2.gif (584 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
sturgeon2.gif
584 KB, 160x160
>>25590896
this pretty much
>>
>>25590186
Started to check out pokemon after dropping off in gen 3
Saw mega evolution
Stepped back out.
Only thing keeping me here is romhacking desu.
>>
File: image.png (515 KB, 800x956) Image search: [Google]
image.png
515 KB, 800x956
ITT: Salty Bitter cunts who's favourite poke didn't get a mega or got a shit mega

I was like you pre ORAS. This baby changed my mind
>>
>>25590896
>I'd like to hear how Megas actually appeal to you all in case I'm missing something.

It breathes life into older pokemon who were otherwise useless in competitive play. Actually being able to use pokemon like Beedrill without getting turborekt is top

Legendaries and psuedos getting megas upsets me though, they're the reason why multiplayer is awful and unbalanced in the first place
>>
At that rate, they should've all been regular evos or at least a form change.
>>
>>25590997
>form change
that is what they are
>>
>>25591006
I mean a form change that sticks.
>>
>>25590896
I have to admit I enjoy the idea of a one-time-use nuclear option in battles, and the mechanic has a lot of potential to save weaker pokemon lines from obscurity. But they keep giving megas to things that are already bugfuck powerful or which could get the job done with a regular evo, which runs directly against what I hoped megas would be.

>>25590954
You and Beedrill are perfect megas.
>>
>>25590971

I feel this. Having a favorite come back into viability has to be great, and I definitely get anyone who's on board with megas for that reason.

On the other hand, we also seem to agree on what it's done for game balance overall. I appreciate mega fug giving Smogon AIDS, but good lord.
>>
Well, for me, it's not competitive per se. It's unlocking the true potential of a pokemon as the result of your unbreakable bond.
>>
>>25591124

Not having played ORAS I can't speak from experience, but I hear you get some that can mega evolve very soon/immediately after you meet them, like Lucario and fug, although fug's seems to be a little weird.
>>
>>25591408
I didn't say the game mechanics agree with me, because they don't, and they don't agree with the actual lore, either.
>>
Three major things:
>releasing megas in batches is just straight up retardedly unfair especially without patching older games of the SAME gen
>mega favoritism is also stupid, i.e. Charizard getting two fucking megas and also making other megas complete shit while making other megas super good (swift swim Swampert, audino, blastoise)
>skipping gen 2 starter megas

Last one pisses me off the most
>>
>>25590971
I agree. Megas should only be for shitmon that have nowhere else to go in terms of evolutions, like Beedrill. Pokémon that are already good on their own or Pokémon that had room for a regular evolution should not have gotten megas.

And that's what bothers me most about it. There are still lots of Pokémon that could use an evo, but other than Eevee, we'll likely never see cross-gen evolutions anymore because they're all just gonna get megas.
>>
>>25591441

Fair enough. I suppose we've all stood next to a magcargo without going up in flames before.
>>
>>25591441
>>25591408
actually you're both wrong, at least in my opinion
mega evoloution only happens with a deep bond between trainer and pokemon.
you ever wonder why just a kid allways beats an evil team and a gauntlent of 4 trainers and a champion? this kid clearly isn't just some normal person. he is clearly some sort of expert with pokemon. as such the fact that they are able to so quickly and easily form these mega evoloution tier bonds should come as the least suprising bit of information.
ask WHY all you want. but the fact remains that out of all the crazy shit the MC's do in the games, mega evolving pokemon they just caught is just the start.
why even look all the way back to the gen 1 games. there, even if you just caught a pokemon, and brought it to the elete four, profesor oak will comment on the bond that the trainer shares with the pokemon. he might not know how or why, but he can tell that this kid has formed great bonds with the pokemon. how he is able to do this so quickly is unknown, the fact is he still was able to do it. call them a main character marry sue or whatever, but this has been going on for the whole time ever sense gen 1, its just that only now has it had any real effect in battle.
maybe this mystical power that the MC's have will be adressed in some way. probably not though.
>>
>>25591664
>fucking your pokemon makes you some sort of /vp/ superhero
k
>>
>>25590896
>Muh evil corporations made megas to rob me
Megas are ok and they're staying.
>>
>>25591703
If only
>>
>>25590896
>power up form
>out of ideas
Nigga where have you been since the days of Dragon Ball Z?
Super forms are the hypest fucking shit and no-one can tell me otherwise.
>>
>>25591664

Whether or not I create some headcanon for apparent contradictions or plot holes that I run across depends on whether I think the author/dev actually considered this situation and left it intentionally vague or altogether unexplained, meaning that there is an answer out there, it's just unknown to the player. In this case I can't see that. It just seems like a lazy fuck up.
>>
>>25591729

As part of Pokemon lore I absolutely hate it. For me it goes along with the B/W anime where it essentially erases all continuity. I never mega evolve in-game because I hate power-ups and believe they should be making more Pokemon instead of creating new forms for old ones.
>>
>>25590186
Mostly ugly as hell and 100% unneeded.

I'm still surprised we haven't gotten some sort of pikachu mega.
>>
>>25591893

Oh yeah, speaking of continuity fucking, I remember reading that Zinnia made some comment that could easily be read as there being another world with a Hoenn where Megas didn't exist.

GF, if you're gonna be injecting megas into my games, my childhood at least appreciates this small concession.
>>
File: 1444115209866.gif (2 MB, 400x206) Image search: [Google]
1444115209866.gif
2 MB, 400x206
>>25591765
>>
>>25590186
>Real talk.

>>>/n/iggers
>>
>>25590896
>It's such a blatant, we're-out-of-ideas attempt to keep the series artificially alive and hold people's attention
Not the introduction of Pokemon Gods, the single most generic thing once can do when you're out of ideas, with designs that attempted to be cool but blew up in it's face?
Could have fooled me.
>>
>>25591494
You're right, it was absolutely stupid that GF didn't patch X and Y to include ORAS megas. There was no excuse not to.

Also,
>Mega Audino
>super good
Topkek
>>
>>25592082

All's fair, that's a good one too. I still feel like megas take it, since at least Sinnoh's trio and arceus were original entities (as lame as the theme was) and not super saiyan versions of established mons.
>>
>>25591964
>I remember reading that Zinnia made some comment that could easily be read as there being another world with a Hoenn where Megas didn't exist.
She outright confirmed it by saying her clan observed it.
>>
>>25592136
Thanks, I'll remember that.
>>
>>25592128
The three examples I gave were of megas who are shit anon
>>
>>25592364
Mega Swampert can be a big force doubles
>>
>>25592408
Not really, and when directly compared to shit like mega blaziken or zard X its pretty shit in both doubles and singles.

I'm pretty afraid about Johto Megas dince I'm expecting them to do something completely shit like Water/Dark strong jaw Feraligatr.
>>
>>25590186

Because they wanted to breathe some life into older Pokemon without outright replacing them like conventional evos.

It fits perfectly well within the series. Evolution is a central concept of the game and it's new feature expanding on it. It's just combining the established mechanics of evolution + forme change, providing a new avenue to balance old mons and add alternate playstyles to others. It adds mechanical and aesthetic variety. Yes some megas are poorly executed but that's no reason to shit on the whole concept, especially when many are great.

What kills me is people complain about rehashing, then when they try something new people still complain. Like you want the series to progress while somehow staying exactly the same. To move forward while standing in place. It's the same closed-minded genwunner mentality that gets laughed at in every other context. Hating new forms of evolution on principle is just as stupid.
>>
>>25592674
>What kills me is people complain about rehashing
Basically when they complain about rehashing they're complaining that it doesn't adhere to their personal ideas so it's instantly bad.

Take the NSMB series for example, even though it reuses musical elements in the first world the game is fairly different among the different iterations.
>>
There is nothing wrong with megas. Do you want every fucking pokemon to be have 2 stages?
>>
>>25590186
I just simply don't like about 90% of the designs.
Other than that I don't really care.
>>
>>25592674
>people complain about rehashing
>people complain about change

Gee it's almost like there are multiple people here
>>
>>25592801

The people who legitimately want this series to stay exactly the same forever are not worth arguing with.
>>
>>25592834
I don't think I ever said otherwise genius
>>
>>25592834

New regions and new Pokemon isn't staying the same. Mega's are just fucking stupid and don't make sense in the canon of Pokemon.
>>
>>25592834
People who want this series to stay the same are the only TRUE FANS BECAUSE THEY LIKE POKEMON HOW IT IS, AND THEY KNOW IT'S FOR CHILDREN AND WE OUTGREW POKEMON LONG AGO. YOU'RE THE IDIOTS.
>>
>>25592873
>New regions and new Pokemon isn't staying the same

Yes it is. They're just adding more maps and assets to the same game. Mechanical changes are the ones that actually matter. You're exactly the kind of closed-minded fool I'm talking about.
>>
>>25590186
Kangaskhan, and a few other gen 1 mons, could do with an evolutionary family, mainly because some of them, like Kangaskhan, make a lot less sense once breeding became a thing. It hatches with a baby in its pouch but the baby never becomes separate, and it's born with a baby.
>>
>>25592848

I'm saying that it has nothing to do with my point. People who complain about any change are idiots, and people who complain about staleness then complain about new mechanics are hypocrites. They're all just serial complainers.
>>
>>25592873
>New regions and new Pokemon isn't staying the same.
You're literally just adding a fresh coat of paint without adding anything new to the game with new regions and Pokemon. It's no different from CoD in that regard.

>Mega's are just fucking stupid and don't make sense in the canon of Pokemon.
>canon
GF doesn't care about canon, that said how exactly does it not make sense? Especially when they've confirmed that there's parallel universes.
>>
Mega Evolution is cool. Don't see anything wrong with it. Can't wait to see more of my faves get Mega Evos. I'm sad that Feraligatr is only UU.
>>
Hated it. Then I actually played ORAS and loved it. Never played XY.
>>
They are a fucking waste.
pokemon is about catching pokemon and when you get less new Pokemon in general like fucking gen 6 , the game feels shallow and retarded. mega will ruin gen 7 unless there is a balance between the two. If we get 30 new megas, we still better get over 100 new pokemon.
>>
>>25593052
>only UU.

A in UU and B+ in OU is nothing to complain about. He's way better off than most starters, especially without a mega.
>>
>>25593142
But Charizard and Venusaur gets to be OU while Greninja and Blaziken get to be Uber. I don't necessarily want Feraligatr to be Uber, but OU yes.
>>
>>25592764
yes, megas should only have been for 3 stage underpowered pokemon

i wanted a mawile evo, not a damn castform tier form change every single fight robbing me of a held item slot.
>>
>>25593206
It's certainly viable in OU, but not enough people in the high ladder use it to make it officially OU.
>>
File: Mawile 1.jpg (406 KB, 1080x880) Image search: [Google]
Mawile 1.jpg
406 KB, 1080x880
>>25593251
Not every Pokémon needs to be, or should be, 3 stage.
Mawile (and Sableye) definitely deserved a proper evolution though. Even just another 30 base HP would do wonders for their bulk.
>>
>>25593338
>Wanting more stall based meta game
>>
>>25593251
>robbing me of a held item slot.
You don't need an item, Mawile is one of the strongest pokemon in the game with a priority move to boot.
>>
>>25593374
>Sableye is literally Stall: The Pokémon
>it shouldn't be able to stall effectively
Don't be retarded
>>
>>25593338
the person that drew that doesnt know what mawile is inspired by.
>>
>>25593398
It already stalls effectively. Its OU.
>>
Good use of Megas: Giving one to a Pokemon that is already at its third stage but could still use a boost or some tweaking, or ones that otherwise feel "complete" as a concept and a normal evolution would feel weird (Kangaskhan being the most notable example).

Bad use of Megas: Giving one to a Pokemon that feels like it still has room to grow or is powerful enough that adding a Mega on top of it just seems superfluous, done solely because the Pokemon in question is popular.
>>
>>25593338
>>25593430
>>
>>25593520

Give me one example where a powerful Pokemon became even stronger because of its mega, as opposed to just getting an alternate playstyle. Bear in mind that even Mega Blaziken is considered less viable than normal Blaz with an item.
>>
>>25593628
Lucario
>>
>>25593520
True.
>>
>>25593628
mega metagross
>>
>>25593628
Tyranitar, Salamence, Mewtwo, Rayquaza, Groudon, Kyogre, Metagross.
>>
>>25591964
That would be gen 3's hoenn
>>
Will they make actually over 100 megas this time around you think? and hopefully put in the work and make over 100 new pokemon? arent they also making a new engine with better models and animation or at least a more polished version of it aka not fps drops, pokemon moving more, no "slash" attacks everywhere?
>>
ORAS introduced better Megas than XY in general, and honestly, the concept isn't even that bad. It just feels a little too simplistic and easy.
>>
>>25593657
>>25593712
>>25593717

Lucario, Metagross and Salamence were all UU. They were hardly "powerful." Tyranitar's mega actually makes it worse. Same with Mewtwo, and legendaries in general are not a factor as they're not usable in ranked outside this special tournament.
>>
File: 14242505_p0_master1200.jpg (126 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
14242505_p0_master1200.jpg
126 KB, 600x600
Honestly, i'm not a huge fan of mega evolution. I don't like a lot of the designs. And the designs that are great aren't permanent. But with the confirmation of alternative timeline, I feel like the mega evolution won't be a thing in the future due to the negativity it's received. What will happen to the mega evolution forms you ask? Simple af mate. They will be final evolutions (:
Any questions! Just ask (:
>>
>>25597265
Something about this post annoys me a lot, but I just can't put my finger on it.
>>
>>25590186
>or have one follow you around
Yeah, that applies to all Pokemon past Gen IV.
>>
>>25597265
>I feel like the mega evolution won't be a thing in the future due to the negativity it's received
I hope you don't think /vp/ is representative of the Pokémon fanbase as a whole, much less the parts GameFreak listens to (Japanese children and mobile-tier casuals)
>>
>>25590186
The good
>gating the mechanic by allowing only one per battle
>making older Pokemon viable with new typings and/or abilities
>set in stone rule to the stat bonuses

The bad
>already strong Pokemon getting even stronger (and in most cases broken)
>legendary Pokemon getting mega forms, even debuting with one in the case of Diancie
>NFE getting one when better served with an evolution (Sableye for example)
>some Pokemon getting respecced into a strategy that barely works for them (Heracross)

The ugly
>pretty much every design
>having a mega stone for each Pokemon
>mega evolutions existing without a proper banlist in battles
>>
>>25597770
>>NFE getting one when better served with an evolution

But Sableye is fully evolved.
Eviolite Sableye would be obscene.
>>
I'll play through a gen 6 game once and go back to replaying 4 every time. Fuck megas. I know I don't have to use them but I refuse to play in a universe where they exist. Shit is just so fucking fake.
>>
The fact that they've limited it to one Pokemon on your team per match shows how much of a gimmick mega evolution is.
>>
>>25590186
Best thing that happened to the games since the physical/special split.

Anyone who disagrees is wrong and possibly retarded.
>>
>>25597787
Mega Sableye is pretty much the same thing. The only difference would be access to Prankster, which is still done better by so many other things.
>>
>>25597811

How the fuck does that show that at all?
>>
>>25597815
There's more to Pokemon than battling
>>
>>25597821

No, it isn't. And no, it isn't. Statements like these just prove how little you whiny bitches know about competitive.
>>
>>25597837
>M-Sableye has better stats than a potential Eviolite Sableye
>Prankster Sableye still outclassed in OU by KEYS and GENIE

Where exactly am I wrong here?
>>
>>25597856
>>M-Sableye has better stats than a potential Eviolite Sableye

No it doesn't you idiot. You're not accounting for EVs/IVs. Eviolite would have even higher defenses.

Genie and keys don't have prankster WoW and Recover, nor Sable's type.

Please stop, you are clearly too ignorant to discuss this effectively.
>>
>>25597822
They have to introduce an arbitrary rule to prevent every team just being full of megas. What reason besides that?
>>
>>25597886

A balancing mechanic that prevents abuse doesn't make something a gimmick you fucking tool. A gimmick is something that doesn't actually improve something or add depth or substance, just there for novelty. Megas add another layer of strategy and teambuilding variety. They're perfectly in line with expanding a turn-based RPG system.
>>
File: 1379239797812.jpg (7 KB, 242x208) Image search: [Google]
1379239797812.jpg
7 KB, 242x208
>>25592873
Actually I'd argue they make perfect fucking sense to the cannon of pokémon. Having a new evolution come out of nowhere doesn't make sense within the canon because why couldn't we get it earlier.

Making them hold onto a stone that is perhaps rare and local to only certain reigons makes more sense that "[Insert pokémon here] can evolve now just cause"

It breathed new life into old and ever increasingly obsolete pokémon. As someone who rarely battles others, its an addition I am free to take or leave.

Fuck you, son.
>>
File: wait what.png (32 KB, 132x147) Image search: [Google]
wait what.png
32 KB, 132x147
>>25598737
>Having a new evolution come out of nowhere doesn't make sense within the canon because why couldn't we get it earlier.
>>
Anything under 3 stages and new legendaries shouldn't get megas.
>>
>>25590186
Im 23 and I have been playing Pokemon since Yellow version, every gen I bought a game, Yellow, Gold, Crystal, Emmerald, Fire Red, Diamond, Heartgold, Black and the last one I bought was White 2. I got very excited when gen 6 was announced, until I saw this thing of mega evolution, I literally thought ''fuck no'' when I first heard of it. Megaevolution made me not to buy more pokemon games, I dislike pretty much every Mega design, I find megaevos unnecessary, ugly and it gives me the feel that Pokemon is losing its essence. For me, it would have been better that they introduced new evolutions as they did in gen iv.
>>
I only play Pokemon competitively on sims, not play the games. Has Mega Evolution ruined in game play? Since you can just mega evolve every battle?
>>
>>25590186
Megas are shit, all they did was put non legendary garbage in Ubers and broke Ubers with that fucking Rayquaza shit while ruining OU by filling it with a fuckton of legendary level stat pokemon. Its literally just a cheap way to power up a pokemon meaning its pointless. The metagame before this mega cancer was okish but now its complete shit.
>>
I'm starting to feel like I'm the only person who doesn't feel one way or another about Megas
>>
File: tumblr_n9pm6u1X6F1thcpmqo1_1280.png (1 MB, 1280x1347) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n9pm6u1X6F1thcpmqo1_1280.png
1 MB, 1280x1347
Honestly, i'm not a huge fan of mega evolution. I don't like a lot of the designs. And the designs that are great aren't permanent. But with the confirmation of alternative timeline, I feel like the mega evolution won't be a thing in the future due to the negativity it's received. What will happen to the mega evolution forms you ask? Simple af mate. They will be final evolutions (:
Any questions! Just ask (:
>>
>>25598808
Is that post really that hard for you to understand? Well, I'll explain what anon was trying to say.
Basically: "Why the fuck does that not make sense if anything certain Pokemons randomly getting new evolutions when a new region is introduced doesn't make sense because why couldn't the Pokemon evolve in the first place?"
If you don't get it now, I dunno what to tell you.
>>
Mega-Evo was a desperate attempt to add something interesting to the series. They ran out of all their good ideas and had nothing left.
It's absolutely pointless. Half the Mega-Evolvers would be better off with evolutions, the other half were fine to begin with.
And most Mega-Evos are hideous.
>>
Why did Rayquaza need a Mega?
Why did Mewtwo need a Mega?
For shit like Sableye and Mawhile it's good, though I would have preferred an evolution so we could have a completely new concept, rather than just the same Pokemon with a few bells attached.
>>
>>25600121
Except they explain this with held items and new mechanics and move evolutions and shit. There are no "new" evolutions that simply evolve by leveling up, the only reason you couldn't evolve it before is because you never had access to what you needed to to evolve it.

Basically the exact same shit as "it hold a rock and you hold a thing"
>>
>>25600174
I wish they'd stop with that shit too.
Just make new evolutions level evolution. All these fucking stupid gimmicks they keep introducing, making more and more pointless evolution items, adding more trade-mons. Just make new evolutions level based. Literally not a single person on this blue orb we call the earth would care that it's not canonically consistent.
>>
>>25600209
I don't hate trade evos, but I'm with you for the location based evolutions. Just fucking retcon them into stone evos or something instead of forcing themselves to shove a specific location for the evolution into every region. And I still don't get why friendship and affection are separate things other than it fucking things up between Sylveon/Umbreon/Espeon. Just fold them into each other, all the separation does is emphasize the weird disconnect there is between all of the separate little extra mechanics the games have accumulated over the years.
>>
>>25600250
I just wish they'd put in some NPC who'll evolve your trade mons.
Especially if they're just going to shut servers down barely years after a game using them is released.
>>
>>25590186
We're already seeing redundancy. Look at mega steelix vs mega aggron.

Either we're going to get a lot of disappointing megas that are outclassed by similar ones, or GF will have to get very creative with each mega's niche. One example of a creative mega is audino, which works best in 2v2 or 3v3 battles.
>>
>>25592128
>no excuse
To ensure people bought ORAS
>>
File: 1454136843096.jpg (82 KB, 805x640) Image search: [Google]
1454136843096.jpg
82 KB, 805x640
Hated them.
Most, if not all my teams are non-mega. It killed the online for me. Not due to lack of adaptability, but simply because I found the feature boring, and a tad too unbalanced. Some these pokemon would have been fine with a new evo.
It just felt gimmicky. All I want is a sort of classic battle mode for the WiFi battles. Other than that, meh.
>>
>>25594452
>usage stats define how good a pokemon is

ahahahahahahahah
>>
>>25600929
It does because Ubers is full of mons with crazy stats, OU has the best regular mon statspreads while UU is full of mediocre state spreads, and NU is just shit.
>>
>>25590896
>, and after the frankly alien feel of most gen 5/6 designs it was a little much
opinion trashed
>>
>>25590186
They were a mistake
It should've been alternate forms at the final stage
>>
>>25591893
>Pokemon lore

Am I getting trolled?
>>
Megas were a good idea in concept but their execution has been horrid. Being limited to one mega per match means that each mega would need to be properly balanced against each other in order to make them all viable, but some megas are blatantly better than the rest and this leads to redundancy as more and more megas are added.

Hell, the likes of Mega Steelix are already redundant and we only have 48 megas, just wait until we have 200 megas, many of the currently top tier megas will probably be made obsolete by that point due to power creep.
>>
>>25601275
This. If Megas were limited to Pokemon who actually needed a power boost then it wouldn't be so bad.
>>
>>25601316
>>25601275

I agree with you, but what's the alternative? If megas were not limited to one per team then people would just play with 6 megas obviously. Keeping them exclusively on shitmon and starter pokemon would be the only good way to implement them sadly, but even that's flawed.

Who determined whether a pokemon is shitty enough for a mega? You? Smogon? Gamefreak? Gamefreak doesn't know shit about their own game. There isn't any way to hand out megas without some downside somewhere. The best way to do it might just be to hand them out randomly, that way at least you can occasionally give someone's favorite pokemon an awesome mega to be the star of their team. And the more shitmons like Pinsir, Beedrill, and Camerupt that get megas the better.
>>
>>25601356
>Who determined whether a pokemon is shitty enough for a mega?
BST, Usage, and Typing.
>>
>>25601384

Again, I ask you who is going to determine those things? What's the exact cutoff for BST that makes it okay for you to get a mega? What types are good and what are bad? Are the good typings equated to an artificial bonus to BST while the bad typings are equated to an artificial - to BST? Usage? Where? By who? You? It isn't that simple.

Just because there are some pokemon so garbage that everyone can accept they would need some sort of evolution, mega or otherwise such as Magcargo and Tropius doesn't mean there isn't a grey area. Some pokemon would be considered too good to get a mega but too shitty to compete without one.

Really in my opinion the best thing GF could have done to keep the god damn game balanced is be a lot stricter when it comes to movepools. If pokemon with great types, good abilities, and good stats are going to exist then don't give them so many options with movesets. This is one thing I think was actually nice about gen 1, most pokemon couldn't cover most things and it wasn't unusual at all to see normal type attacks.
>>
>>25590997
>they should've all been regular evos
>For me, it would have been better that they introduced new evolutions as they did in gen iv.
That would've been horribly broken as well as clatter the pokedex to oblivion. Not to mention it would make the original pokemon before mega lose its essence and spotlight.
>>
>>25590896
this times a billion
>>
>>25601426
>>25601426
You can't be serious. It is simple to compare low BST to pseudo-legendaries's BST, to compare usage of Pokemon in online play, to compare the Fairy typing to Grass. It doesn't take a genius to figure out some Pokemon have more disadvantages than others. You thinking too hard.

How many disadvantages would decide who gets a Mega. Some Pokemon are viable without Megas, some are not. I mean, how do you know Pinsir, Beedrill, and Camerupt are shitmons?

In Gen 1, the lack of move distribution led Psychic to be OP to the point they had to introduce Dark types to counteract them. Not good balancing.
>>
Is this whole thread filled with meta competitive rage autists crying for why powerful pokemon get megas too, besides their forgotten nice shitmon?

Dear lord, kill yourselves. Megas were obviously not made with the primary goal of powering up weak pokemon in order for you to wifi battle with. They were made in order to draw old fans in with a new form of their favorite pokemon, to give the player a true "ace" in his party, a pokemon of his choice that would be a bit different and special from his other 5.

Also, I'll remind you that at the end of the day pokemon is actually a single player game primarily and the people designing and creating megas are certainly not the same that come up with VGC or whatever shit rules, let alone tier terminal autists from smogon university that would give megas only to "NU" pokemon in order to make 5 whole people happy.
>>
>>25600163
>Why did Rayquaza need a Mega?
>Why did Mewtwo need a Mega?
Because they're iconic and every franchise in the history of this earth is growing by focusing on its popular characters.

You should be happy that weak pokemon like Sableye and Mawhile are getting megas too rather than GF restricting form changes to popular legendaries like Mewtwo and Rayquaza, or Giratina because that's practically a mega too since 8 years ago nonetheless. They're just form changes after all .
>>
>>25601356
Honestly limiting megas to shitmons and starters would probably be the best way that it could be handled, it's not perfect but it's better than the cancer we have now and is the best of bad options.

People who are fans of Pokemon who currently have no mega should honestly be thanking their lucky stars, because with the current path of power creep that we're on, their favourite bro will likely get a more powerful mega later on then they would have gotten now.
>>
>>25598946

Are you saying that M-Kangaskhan should have gotten two evolutions first?
>>
>>25602028
it should have gotten 2 pre-evos
inb4 cubone and marowak
>>
The problem with megas as a way to make older Pokemon competitive is that they already can and do mess with BST totals of older Pokemon between games. Hell, they even can change abilities around. And movesets.
So, they ALREADY could have made beedrill more usable.

Instead, megas go out to all kinds of Pokemon, including things like lucario, garchomp, scizor, and rayquaza of all things. Boosting weaker Pokemon would be a good ideal, but it's obviously not just what megas are doing.
Editing older Pokemon to match powercreep/minmaxing that mostly started around gen V would have done it better.
>>
File: oh wait, you're serious.jpg (80 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
oh wait, you're serious.jpg
80 KB, 500x500
>>25590896
>If there was ever something golden to point to to make a case for Pokemon devolving into a soulless profit engine, I would vote for the introduction of megas.
>>
>>25597811
You have to actually be retarded.

>Gimmick
>Trivial/Novelty trick or device without meaning
A good example of a pokemon gimmick was the stupid "pokemon following you" thing from HGSS

>Mega restriction
>Balancing addition to prevent a team from going full mega, which would certainly upset game balance

You know full well you'd be complaining even worse if your average 12 year old could have a team with mega fug, megacharizard, megablaziken, etc
>>
>>25599622
>For me, it would have been better that they introduced new evolutions as they did in gen iv.

>People complain about the out of nowhere, space-taking gen iv evolutions and prevos of previous gens
>GF gives megas, which don't fuck with Dex space but still give a new form
>but why don't they just give them new evolutions?
>>
>>25593628
Gengar
Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.