[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I genuinely want to like these games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
Everyone always talks about how great BW & BW2 were, (especially BW2) but every time I hear praise for Gen V, all I can think is "huh? really?".

It's not that I wanna shit on people who like things that I didn't feel anything for, it's more more like "whenever I played these games, I thought they were okay, but I don't see what the big deal is."

Please gush about these games so that I may understand the appeal. I know there were some memorable characters (N, a couple of gym leaders, etc) but I feel like I'm missing something.
>>
uh, it had a nice pokedex and the pwt

that's it really
>>
>>25576794
its okay if you dont fall for peer pressure indoctrination from an anonymous image board
>>
>>25576806
I know, but I think it'd be more fun/interesting to hear (from fans) why they like the thing
>>
>>25576816
I played and finished white 2 recently. like one month ago.

I really enjoyed it for the pokemon selection. I enjoyed having a rough time with trainers since I don't really grind much and I found that enjoyable.

the end game content is enjoyable. especially the tower at the end at white forest where the reward is a shiny dratini (bomb).

I got a little spoiled with the mechanics that ORAS offered since I played ORAS before white 2, but I'm glad I did a complete playthrough of white 2.
>>
File: 1456806288218.gif (709 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1456806288218.gif
709 KB, 500x500
B/W had my favourite Pokemon. And despite its linearity I quite liked Unova as a region. Also the story and lore is pretty great for Pokemon.
>>
>>25576794
BW was bad, but BW2 were pretty legit
>>
File: 1448067152988.png (221 KB, 600x560) Image search: [Google]
1448067152988.png
221 KB, 600x560
>Go do this
>Hey dude come do this instead

Every fucking town, fuck off and let me be.
>>
>>25576897
Love this meme.
>>
>>25576897
>BW2 were pretty legit
But what made it legit? People on here seem to like it a bunch, but I've yet to see anyone really gush about it like my fellow Johto bro's did for Gen II
>>
it was just too dark in aesthetics, big cities didn't help
XY was nice and bright
>>
>>25576794
I haven't played 2, but I think BW had the most interesting story of the series and the best soundtrack. The mons were pretty cool too.
>>
File: yancycurtis.jpg (44 KB, 500x470) Image search: [Google]
yancycurtis.jpg
44 KB, 500x470
>>25576794
IT had lots of places to explore despite being linear, and the bgms are memorable. I quite liked the villains too, esp. Ghetsis and Colress. The 'plot' and N's sob story were bs, but it's not like they're bombarded throughout the game either, so you can just keep pressing a until npcs stop talking.
>>
>>25576794
Cool region with interesting pokemon, great music, great villains including a villain archetype that was never in these games before, the coolest gym leaders overall and gyms that are actual functional establishments, cool overarching plot with the story taken up a notch, cool legendaries (aside from absofusion, but I think looking hideous was kinda the point), an actual sequel that brings interesting changes to the region and that, instead of trying to ape the first game, works more as a straight forward game with more content and brings closure to the original. To me it felt much like Gen 2 did back in the day, it only missed the final fight against the previous MC.

Look, you don't have to understand the appeal of anything or even attempt to like things other people like. If you don't care for something, that's fine. You're not "missing something". I'm not sure why this happens with video games so much.
>>
>>25577183
Even so, I've always liked getting to the "meat" of why something is appealing to someone. Like that thread where everyone was talking about why Johto felt so different, there was some really good discussion from there.

But so far it seems like people just like the Gen V mon designs, which, while some were pretty darn good, I actually disliked 80% of them. They felt too alien for me, not really "Pokemon"y, though thankfully Gen 6 sorta made up for it by "going back to basics" with the simpler designs.

But nah don't worry, it's not like I"ve been feeling left out or anything; I was just hoping that fans could gush about what made Gen V "work" for them, but so far I'm not hearing anything new.
>>
>>25577202
Sounds like you're more interested in joining the Gen V hateclub. Which is fine.
>>
>>25577216
That's not it at all, though! I thought the games were just okay! That doesn't mean I hate it.

Since when did "not being absolutely in love" with something automatically mean that I hate the something?
>>
>>25577220
Then why are you questioning it so much? You think the games are alright. Leave it like that, you don't have to love them.
>>
>>25577202
>but so far I'm not hearing anything new
It's nothing obscure or complicated really, just subjective taste. Like you said you prefer gen 6's "back to basic" designs, I actually think a lot of those mons feel really alien. It's kind of a pointless thing to discuss.
>>
I *like* hearing people fangasm about their fave things. It's insightful, and a fun way to explore the kind of things the franchise has done well. (For Pokemon or whatever else)

Ranting about something you hate can also be cathartic. High lighting flaws can be enlightening too, in a "huh, I never noticed that before" kind of way.

By questioning, I'm not saying that people *need* to justify their tastes. Taste is subjective like you said. If they don't want to participate in a discussion, then they don't have to.

But I prefer listening to more extreme reactions (really LOVING something or really HATING something) than listening to lukewarm reactions.

I'm not sure if this is a difficult concept to understand or not.
>>
B2 is my favorite in the franchise because of how GF decided to change the basic structure they used before when gen 5 came around.

I personally am not a huge fan of constantly replaying the games over and over for appeal. I prefer beating the game and doing all the other stuff that I'm able to do once the I beat the elite four. BW2 has the most amount of post-game content other than HGSS. I always felt that BW2 were much more differentiated compared to the other games on which version you buy. An example would be Black City and White City, and in BW the 8th gym leader varies on version.

BW2 itself is a much more lengthy game, and you don't have to grind on wild pokemon battles to keep a constant pace with the scale, just beating every trainer should be good which is something I like.

I like most Gen 5 Designs (unlike most of this board) other than Mandibuzz and the starters.

Plenty of minor problems from previous games were fixed in Gen 5 such as Sturdy, abilities popping up when they are activated, and much more.

The soundtrack was amazing, Graphics were amazing, they felt "clear" even though the game was pixely as shit

The story was decent. I liked N though he was a shit character I'll admit. Ghetsis and the sages were pretty cool, and Colress was interesting.

I disliked how the region was incredibly linear (mapwise), and BW2 managed to fix this somewhat, though it still was pretty linear, but even then most locations I felt were memorable, other than Nimbasa and Driftveil I liked every town, especially the entire eastern portion of Unova.

The top-notch factor though was how it was a direct continuation of BW, to fully enjoy BW2 you have to play BW, and I felt GF did this right by making some sort of overarching story (albeit a kinda shit one, but a story nonetheless) You really get that feel that the game you are playing is actually a sequel, and not just a better version of the previous games (fucking platinum)

Also Rosa best Pokegirl
>>
>>25577284
oh I forgot to mention, there wasn't any asspull "God Pokemon" like Arceus or even shit like Groudon being the pokemon who created land.
>>
>>25576794
Other than stuff already mentioned. The EXP curve wasn't shit. Music was top imo. Lore was interesting. Lots of places to explore. The towns were nice. The characters had personality. Fun mechanics like grottos and habitat list. Overall, it did a lot of little things perfectly well that add up to something beautiful.
>>
>>25577304
>The EXP curve wasn't shit
This. I always hated grinding on wild pokémon, so the addition of Breeders that would always want to fight you made grinding a lot less time consuming. I also liked the selection of mons in the game. I rarely have such a varied team as I did in Black 2.

Like other people said, the music was some of the best in the series, and I absolutely adore all the little cutscenes in the gyms. Made them feel a lot more epic besides just going in there, grinding through a bunch of trainers and battling the leader at the end. The second(or third?)gym with the catwalk and fashion show was especially memorable imo.
>>
They weren't third versions, they were full blown sequels with improvements everywhere except maybe story(but even then I preferred BW2's story/plot).
It helps that I already loved the region itself and was more than glad to see they'd be revisiting it in a new way so early. It also feels like there was effort put into it, the world feels "connected", there's a lot of hidden shit everywhere, like if you explore enough in the sewers you'll end up in a lone area in the city with a garden where you can catch wild Eevee. Things like that make the game world feel big, same with there being multiple ways to get to a city, like Driftveil now you can go through the Relic Passage, or you can go through Charizard Bridge, or you can go down through Mistralton City. Of course, the main game is still really linear, so it doesn't matter much, but I like just walking around Unova if I'm hatching eggs or something.
Did I mention Unova feels BIG?
I like pretty much all of the additions to the region, the starting area basically being a city, then the following rural area with a ranch, and then an industrial complex, a village near a volcano(that you fly to via Mistralton, very cool) and a town on the sea. None of these are new additions aside from the industrial city as far as Pokémon goes, but they fit very well into making Unova a vast and varied region.

Honestly, it'd be easier to tell you what I didn't like about BW2, and my only actual complaint is that there's no BW3.
>>
>All the gen 5 pokemon designs are top tier (excluding the genies and keldeo)
>interesting villians
>good music
>seasons
>games were actually somewhat challenging, as far as pokemon games go
>tons of great quality of life changes (infinite tms, xp gains based on level difference, etc)
>region is huge and varied
>good characters
>hidden abilities making a lot of shitmons viable
>dream world was cool
>bw2 probably has the largest postgame of any of the pokemon games

The gen 5 games are easily the best in the series imo. Gen 4 comes close with HGSS and Plat but I think Gen 5 sneaks a head a bit.
>>
>>25576794
You know, OP, we all have different opinions.

Me? I can't imagine how anyone could look at Gen 5 as a whole and not think they're the absolute highest point of the series. Honestly can't wrap my head around how that wouldn't be an objective fact.

But you know we all have our own tastes, yours just happen to be shit.
>>
>can't play hard mode if I reset my game

why!
>>
>>25576794
>this anon having the same problem I have
>had a flashback of making nearly the same thread back when B2W2 fags were stinking up every thread with love for these games
anon you just learn to love the games for their comittment to effort and benefits they gave the series like ability capsules, not for the aesthetics
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.