[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So...Why is Ground/Rock considered their own typing? It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: meowth 11.jpg (17 KB, 267x317) Image search: [Google]
meowth 11.jpg
17 KB, 267x317
So...Why is Ground/Rock considered their own typing? It's literally just Rock/Ground...Why do Rhyhorn, Rhydon and Rypherior get the special treatment?
>>
>>25574018

There's a difference between living in dirt/sand/mud and literally being made of stone.
>>
Because they're grounds that rock, not rocks that are on the ground
>>
>>25574037
Have you ever touched a Ryhorn? How do you know if it's not living rock.
>>
File: Screenshot_3.jpg (56 KB, 393x511) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_3.jpg
56 KB, 393x511
>>25574018
Why isn't Grass type called Plant type?
>>
>>25574327
Same reason Nintendo barely avoided making the bird type. Engrish.
>>
>>25574018
It's a translation issue.
>>
>>25574327
It's probably because the Japanese word for "plant", "shokubutsu", was looked at as too technical sounding for an element name. The usual name used for plant element in JRPGs is "ki", which is literally "tree" but is the word for the Chinese plant element, usually translated as "wood". But just "ki" would have looked weird since they only use phonetic kana in Pokemon and not kanji. So they went with "kusa" which is usually translated as "grass" but really refers to any plant that grows off the ground and isn't considered a tree. So it's basically the next most generic word behind "shokubutsu".

The English localizers, instead of just going with the Plant, which would be accurate to what the devs meant, went with the more standard translation Grass.
>>
If the Ground type was folded into Rock, what type would Sandslash, Dugtrio, Trapinch, Claydol, Quagsire and Gastrodon be? None of them are rocky.

If the Rock type was folded into Ground, what type would Nosepass, Gigalith, Kabutops, Solrock and Magcargo be? None of them are groundy.

There's enough difference between "earth, soil, digging, mud" and "rock, mineral, solid" for them to be distinct, honestly.
>>
Ground type = Pokemon that live in the ground

Rock type = Pokemon that are rocks
>>
I'm sorry OP, it seems no one understood your question.
>>
>>25575334
There's not really enough difference between earth and rock/mineral/soil for them to be distinct. Why can't all of them be earth type?
>>
>>25575391
Good job ignoring the replies with valid arguments just because they didn't agree with your opinions, OP.
>>
>>25575411
I'm not OP. I simply know how to read. He's asking why ground/rock is it's own type combination, and why only the ryhorn line gets it when any other rock/ground pokemon is typed as rock/ground. He's not asking why they aren't the same type.
>>
Lets all be honest why isnt Rock and Ground a single Earth typing?

Steel could be renamed the Metal type.
>>
>>25575439
There's no consistency really. But there doesn't really need to be since they are effectively the same thing. I've always considered the primary type to be the type that best fits that pokemon. Like for Ryhorn, it's a ground animal (rhinoceros), but it also has a rock-like hide. Geodude on the other hand is a fucking rock, and it also lives in the ground. However, look at Larvitar and the argument falls apart because it's rock/ground, but is more similar to Rhyhorn than to Geodude.

What really only seems to make consistent sense is evolutionary type changes or additions. And even then you've got dumb shit like mega-evolution adding dragon to everything. There really is no pattern to types, this post is just autism.
>>
>>25575478
I hate that they went with steel. Of all the elements could have chosen, they went with the element "steel."
>>
>>25575666
But Satan, The Ryhorn family all have confirmed rock texture skin. Can't they just be re-worked into Rock/Ground? It's just switching the words around and Nintendo won't add another Ground/Rock so no one will know.
>>
>>25575886
>But Satan, The Ryhorn family all have confirmed rock texture skin.
I think the thing here is, rhinoceros in real life do not have rock plating. So it's a secondary trait from the perspective of real life, or if non-pokemon animals exist somewhere in the pokemon world as first reference. Again, that's probably not consistent either with all pokemon. There's no method to this madness.
>>
>>25575938
But, the Larvitar line is JUST like the Rhydon Line. Rocky skin. Burrowing. Why can't game freak just let the fucking Rhynos be Rock/Ground?
>>
>>25575702
Which element were you expecting?
>>
>>25575969
Iron.
Metal.
Urban
>>
>>25575998
Diamond. It's the hardest metal.
>>
>>25576027
Not Titanium?
>>
I think very few people are understanding what OP is saying.
The Ryhorn family are all Ground, then Rock as typing. While all other combinations of those typing are Rock then Ground.
>>
>>25576035
Google says chromium.
>>
>>25575702
>"steel"
>element
this is bait right?
>>
>>25576067
THANK YOU
>>
>>25574018
Dewgong is water ice. Walrein is ice water. Omastar is rock water
Carracosta is water rock. Salamence is dragon flying. Noivern is flying dragon.
>>
File: iw6Q0eS.png (76 KB, 191x215) Image search: [Google]
iw6Q0eS.png
76 KB, 191x215
>>25574037
>>25574038
>>25574327
>>25575120
>>25575334
>>25575370
>>25575478
>>
>>25576027
>Diamond
>metal
u wot
>>
Maybe Rhyhorn's type is implying its rocky appearance is just superficial, like some sort of armor, while other Pokémon like geodude and larvitar are actually made of rock
>>
>>25574327
would look like they copied digimon
>>
>>25576267
I think this is true, because its pokedex entries refer to its underbelly as soft.
>>
>>25574100
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.