[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Gen 4 Is the best gen. >Platinum is the best game in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: HGSS.jpg (55 KB, 460x210) Image search: [Google]
HGSS.jpg
55 KB, 460x210
>Gen 4 Is the best gen.
>Platinum is the best game in the entire series.
>The Gen 4 starters weren't shit.

The stupid shit people believe.

The only good thing to come out of gen 4 was HGSS.
>>
Don't care enough for gen 4 to complete my copy of diamond... (Still at elite four)

But i still play soul silver on occasion.
>>
>>25571500
This. Gen 4 was shit. Anyone who thinks it is the best is an underage faggot.
>>
>>25571500
>>Gen 4 Is the best gen.
Who the fuck thinks this?
>>
Who playing HGSS here?
>>
>>25571607
I think that the gameplay/battle changes were the most important to the current game, and can see how people could call it the best gen.
>>
>>The Gen 4 starters weren't shit.
You'd have to have a mental disorder to dislike the Gen 4 starters.
>>
File: Quagsire Bro.jpg (103 KB, 670x440) Image search: [Google]
Quagsire Bro.jpg
103 KB, 670x440
>>25571610
I am running a Nuzz of it currently. I found my Wooper after Falkner. Soon my bro shall join me.
>>
>The only good thing to come out of gen 4 was HGSS.

The stupid shit people believe.
>>
>>25571500
Agreed 100%
I never bought HGSS as a kid and it was probably the biggest mistake of my life.
I recently borrowed a friends copy and it was so much fun. I want to buy my own copy but they sell for like $60 on Amazon.
>>
>>25571690
i dont know man. gen 4 was kind of boring. hgss are very good games though.
>>
>>25571500
Platinum was fine.
The rest of your post was spot on though.
>>
>>25571703
But the physical/special split is the best thing to happen to Pokemon ever.
>>
Gen 2 fags will always be the worst of the bunch.
>>
>>25571721
oh yeah. i forgot mechanics. physical/special split was honestly the best thing to happen to pokemon.
>>25571736
gen 2 is best gen. followed by gen 5
>>
>>25571500
As far as the actual gameplay goes
5>4>3>6>2>1
>>
>>25571500
>stop liking what i don't like!
>>
>>25571500
Johto = Kanto > Unova > Hoenn > Sinnoh > Kalos imo. It's true that anyone who thinks Sinnoh was good is a babby.

>>25571631
The peak of competitive pokemon was gen 4 pre platinum. But you have to separate that out from the ingame content which was dogshit, the region sucked and was full of annoying mechanics.

>>25571610
Currently going back through it, doing a sequential runthrough of all of the old carts I have after putting everything on my OR cart. It's kind of getting out of hand desu, I have a box full of nothing but 'throwaway' legendary birds caught on playthroughs where I soft resetted for a different one with my master ball.

I forgot how fucking annoying it is to find evolutionary stones in that game, and it was even worse in the originals. I don't know wtf they were thinking, why bother having shit like Exeggcute, Oddish, Bellsprout ect. when you can't get their evo stones before you're almost done with Kanto?

The level curve is also kind of fucked up by the fact that it's not as linear and they didn't adjust for that very well in the remake.

>>25571695
>as a kid

these are the people we're sharing a board with
>>
>>25571610
Considering playing it since I think its been enough years that I don't think that I'd get bored replaying it.

>>25571631
Fair enough
>>
>>25571695
>I want to buy my own copy but they sell for like $60 on Amazon.
>tfw day one HG
>tfw friend gave me his SS and extra pokewalker before selling his DS
>>
Can we all agree Gen 4's mechanical additions and a fair majority of the pokemon added were great for the series as a whole, but the games were absolute shit?
>>
>>25571610
About to re-restart. Running an emu with a Munchlax as my starter (not really a fan of the johto starters). Got as far as Ekruteak before my ROM glitched out and reset to before Azalea. Got so upset I'm about to start over, I'm not raising Gastly up again.
>>
>>25571500
Agreed.
Platinum was fun, soundtrack was either extremely great or shit, but HGSS is what makes gen 4 good.
>>
>>25571610
Playing Platinum. At Snowpoint City right now.
>>
>>25571813
Yes, games were slow as shit. Plot was pretty stupid, but it's Pokemon so whatever. Gym leaders were pretty forgettable, and Cyrus was dumb fedora shit. Also HGSS just improved on shit games, Platinum was better.
>>
>>25571829
I was playing Platinum and my save corrupted on the fucking 8th gym. Should have been using savestates.
>>
Seriously why was gen 4 so garbage compared to the last 3? I remember as a teenager putting off pokemon because of how terrible it was and I didn't get back into the games until gen 6. HG/SS is the only thing that I like about that gen.
>>
Gen 4 was pretty rad. The animations were slow but other than that it was fine. Loved that snow area and cyrus was neat villain. Seems you guys love to find things to hate.
>>
File: get fucked.jpg (26 KB, 395x393) Image search: [Google]
get fucked.jpg
26 KB, 395x393
>>25571774
I mean I was 13 when they were released so yeah
>>
>>25571500
It's okay anon. Platinum being "good" is just an ebin meme. Nothing on earth could have fixed Diamond and Pearl's massive flaws. Distortion world was a shitty gimmick dungeon and the game still used the same slow engine.

As an aside, HGSS are unplayable for me now after replaying Crystal recently, despite the fact that I enjoyed them on my first playthrough. The gen 4 engine just feels too sluggish for me now, even with the option to toggle running shoes. Gen 2 with a bike registered with Select >>>>>> Gen 4.
>>
>>25571851
MOD-SAMA!

Who am I kidding, we don't have mods.
>>
>>25571500

HGSS didn't even fix any of the flaws of the originals.

The level curve still sucks, the Gym Leaders still suck, the Pokemon distribution still sucks, and Kanto is still barren.
>>
>>25571813
Yeah the physical/special spilt was cool and I really like the touch of how all hatched pokemon start at level 1 instead of 5.
>>
File: my god.png (161 KB, 307x293) Image search: [Google]
my god.png
161 KB, 307x293
>>25571851
>HG/SS were released 6 years ago
>>
>>25571863
>I was 13 when they were released
>released in 2009
>I'm 20 now
Are you actually retarded by chance?
>>
>>25571607
Who knows a shit about this game. Only a retard or someone who doesn't know a shit about pokémon wouldn't say that indeed.
>>
>>25571889
Wow. I am stupid. Pardon me.

It's time to stop posting.
>>25571883
This so hard.
>>
>>25571774
Literally 90% of this board was 12-15 when gen IV was released. I personally was 14. You're forgetting that 2006 was a very long time ago now. It was only 5 years after the end of gen 2 (2001), and 7 years after Yellow (1999). Most of the 90s kids who grew up on the Gen I games were only entering middle school or high school when Diamond and Pearl came out.
>>
I'm 26 and as Pokemon Red being my first game when I was younger, I can seriously state that 4th gen in terms of DPP (specifically Platinum) is probably the last great Pokemon game (besides HGSS). I got so tired in Black and when X/Y came out I was just so appalled at the direction they're taking the Pokemon series in.
>>
>>25571970
100% agree, but imo bw and bw2 were nice games, but they strayed from the franchise's canons. Gen 6 was shit.
>>
>>25572164
>but they strayed from the franchise's canons
Eh, debatable.
In all honesty Gen 4 was the generation that strayed far from the previous canons. Gen 5 felt more like a return to form after that.
>>
>>25571500
>>Gen 4 is the best gen
well, Johto>Unova>Hoenn=Sinnoh>Kanto>Kalos
>>Platinum is the best game of the entire series
HGSS>BW>B2W2>Emerald=Platinum>FRLG>Crystal>GS>ORAS>RS>XY>DP>RB=Yellow
Platinum was a fine game. Great music, better mons than DP, nice endgame, decent plot. Not the best, but far from the worst.
Only Chimchar's line was shit. Empoleon and Torterra are both in the better half of starters
>>
>>25571500
Platinum was good, but not the best. Without HGSS the gen would've be mediocre at best.
The Sinnoh starters are the best tho.

>>25571813
Agreed.
Although I liked the region regardless of how tedious it was. But I also liked Hoenn's water routes, so what do I know?
>>
>>25571610
I'm debating if I want to play it or not. Debating between new gaming my HG or Platinum. My best friend found his DS Lite after like 8 years so I'm gonna loan him SS so he can experience it but I want to play a new game along side him as a bit of a competition/rivalry. I just can't decide which one.
>>
>>25572856
Coin toss dude.
Heads is HG
Tails is Plat

Personally though I would just go with HG if you're giving him SS.
>>
>>25572879
Funny you should mention that, before I even opened this thread I used the coin toss app on the Poketch and it landed on Heads (said Heads was HG, Tails Pt), and then I used the roulette app and drew sections, and it landed on Pt. I feel like I've played a lot of Johto though (2 plays through Crystal, a Silver run, 1 SS and 2 HG runs) vs only two Sinnoh runs (1 Diamond and 1 Platinum). I think I'll do that though. I can at least Nuzlocke it to make it interesting. Never done a Johto locke before.
>>
>>25571500
I accidentally wiped my Platinum save (in Snowpoint Gym) earlier. I'm not even mad because the game just dragged and dragged and dragged on. Maybe I'll replay B/W again. HGSS was good of course.

>>25571721
Yes, it was (even though I couldn't run Shadow Ball on my Raticate, he learned Sucker Punch instead). D/P/Pt wasn't very good IMO. Gameplay mechanics improved but the main Gen IV game wasn't that great.
>>
>>25572987
>Gameplay mechanics improved but the main Gen IV game wasn't that great.
I agree, Gen 4 just felt a bit too tryhard.
>>
>>25571866
Drayno's Sacred/Storm Hacks are really great though
>>
>>25573109
Romhacks generally are but the vanilla game is still trash.
>>
>>25573109
I tried playing that and really didnt enjoy the difficulty. Gyms 1HKOing with non super effective moves and everything being like 5 levels above you was annoying. I constantly felt underleveled and underpowered.
>>
>>25571721
>introducing a game mechanic that helps future games makes it the best generation
By your logic gen 1 must be the best because it started the whole franchise for future pokemon games.
>>
I fully agree with OP here, Heart Gold is the best Pokémon game out there and I would go as far as to say it's also one of the best games out there, period.

As for DPP, they're just so forgettable, I seriously can't remember much about them other than how disappointing I found the starters. There were a couple of areas I liked, but so much of the games are either mediocre or just flat out garbage.
>>
>>25571500
>HGSS
>good

Hi, Sinnohfetus. Friendly reminder that those gimmicky pieces of shit are the worst remakes in the series and address none of the harrowing flaws gen 2 had.
>>
>>25573372
>I would go as far as to say it's also one of the best games out there,
Don't get carried away there anon.
It may be an okay Pokemon game but none of the mainline Pokemon games are at that level.
>>
>>25573642
>calling me a sinnohfetus
> even though I hate gen 4 and stated that.

You're not even trying, are you anon.
>>
>>25571610
Playing HG.
>>
>>25571500

They weren't, though.
>>
>>25574619
I will say, the only starter that was good was Torterra
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.