[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Pokédex is right about everything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 9
File: records_(2).png (198 KB, 534x335) Image search: [Google]
records_(2).png
198 KB, 534x335
Why are People so stupid?
Do they know that the Pokédex is a very high-tech device. It will automatically make data records on every kind of Pokémon, you capture and encounter. So everything in the Pokédex is true and accurate.
>>
File: 600px-003Venusaur.png (282 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
600px-003Venusaur.png
282 KB, 600x600
>>25567157
>After a rainy day, the Indian Elephant on its back smells stronger. The scent attracts other Pokémon.
>>
File: hooh.png (806 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
hooh.png
806 KB, 1280x1280
>>25567157
>Legends claim this Pokémon flies the world's skies continuously on its magnificent seven-colored Indian Elephants.
>>
File: 284Masquerain.png (82 KB, 431x431) Image search: [Google]
284Masquerain.png
82 KB, 431x431
>>25567157
>The antennae have distinctive Indian Elephants that look like eyes. When it rains, they grow heavy, making flight impossible.
>>
>Everything is already coded into the pokedex
>There is no reason to collect them all for the professor.
>You've been tricked all along
>>
Well considering the Pokedex was made by an old man that took decades to finish making it and yet didn't even have the three pokemon who were in his labs data in them, I don't trust it on the data.
>>
>>25567267
It's more like the pokédex writes itself.
>>
I have a question: Does gameplay still count? I've lost track.
>>
>>25567268
The Pokédex make data records information on the Pokémon that you capture It.
>>
>>25567287
No. It don't.
>>
>>25567323
Anon, the Prof. own those Pokemon, they're in Pokeballs.
>>
Literally game mechanics. The same faggots who go on like "hurr its a ten year old writing those!" "why do you need the pokemon if the data is already in!" probably also try to make sense of certain moves having badge requirements out of combat, or the implications of trainers' eyes meeting meaning a battle. It's all game mechanics you fucks, the pokedex is to reward you with some info about the species you just caught, badge requirements are poorly disguised "broken bridges" to prevent you from going further until you beat the new gym, and trainers work like they do to have a mechanic for seeing trainer battles ahead of time and possibly avoiding them. It's not that hard, people just go on about stupid shit for no reason.
>>
>>25567281
As convenient as the Pokemon world is, that's pretty stupid. We know that people have known about Pokemon forever. For argument's sake, let's say the first canon trainer to collect all known Pokemon in a region was either Oak or Red. One of them wrote the first Pokedex. Following this, other Player Characters went out to expand on that pokedex. So that being said, I believe that either the Pokedex was written long ago and is just updated/reiterated, or the player character records it themselves as they catch the pokemon. I'm most likely to believe that after the initial Dex it just became common practice.
>>
>>25567339
Look at the image.
http://i.4cdn.org/vp/1457889321738.png
>>
>>25567338
You must capture the Pokémon to make the Pokémon entries available.
>>
File: records__(5).png (72 KB, 322x230) Image search: [Google]
records__(5).png
72 KB, 322x230
>>25567342
You can't read images?
The Pokédex write itself automatically.
>>
>>25567342
>>
>>25567362
Then why is your starter automatically added without you capturing it? Plenty of Pokemon are added simply by just owning it, rather than capturing it, that and it gets data at least on the Pokemon's existence without a description despite not owning one.

The Pokedex makes no sense, it should already have the starters info from the get go.
>>
>>25567427
Tell that to Gamefreak.
That's the way, They wanted it to work.
>>
>>25567334
Can you explain why gameplay doesn't matter?
>>
File: records_(1)-1-1-1-1.png (400 KB, 735x473) Image search: [Google]
records_(1)-1-1-1-1.png
400 KB, 735x473
>>25567427
>>
>>25567471
It's not part of the story, so it's not Canon (official).
>>
>>25567442
Well they fucked up.
>>25567475
Hi, I am Prof. Oak here are two devices I worked for years on, but it doesn't have the 3 Pokemon that I encountered and own, they'll only be added to this high-tech device when I give both to someone else. Enjoy.
>>
>>25567487
There are a lot of game mechanics spoken about by numerous NPCs.
>>
>>25567519
The director of Pokémon is in Hoenn region,
However. He is not a part of the story.
There are Multiple NPCS mentioning how the game work in the game itself but they are not part of the story.
>>
>>25567647
Not a part of the story, nor not important to the story? There is a difference. Tutorials and junk, yeah, that's not an essential part to the story. People milling about being like "Nice day"; not important to the story, but still flavor to the world. Which does it count as to you?
>>
It is clear that the pokédex exists fluff-wise.
What's unclear is what are its real capabilities and how it works. Of course, shit ashnime has nothing to do with our problem and cannot answer our questions.
We know that the pokédex is a part of the game mechanics, so it is entirely possible for the way it's working in game to be entirely crunch rather than fluff.
Then, obviously, we could ask the same thing about many other concepts that are central to the pokémon games, such as the pokéballs themselves. How do they work fluff-wise? It seems physically impossible, and yet, it's rather obvious that the developpers themselves confused fluff and crunch when they designed the games.
Overall, I'd say that the pokémon universe is total utter shit and that OP, as well as anyone in this thread, is a faggot.
>>
I always assumed it unlocks the entries as you catch the pokemon. It's obvious the professors know about all the Pokemon before they give you the pokedex so they likely ham you up about it (an obvious case is Sycamore who tells the kids to go research Mega Evolution by giving them tips that lead them to Shalour City and acts like he knows very little when in actuality it's confirmed in-game he trained under Gurkinn years ago before deciding Mega Evolution wasn't for him).
>>
>>25567157
It's wrong about Mew being able to learn every move.
>>
>>25568406
Gameplay is non-canon.
The Pokédex is Canon and compatible with the story.
>>
>>25568388
No. The professors don't know.
That's why, They want you to capture Pokémon. So the Pokédex automatically make data records information on the Pokémon that you capture.
>>
>>25569469
If the Pokedex were canon the Pokemon world would have been set ablaze the moment a Magcargo was born.
>>
>>25567475
XY is non canon tho so into le trash this goes.
>>
>>25569616
Only non canon games are The gen 4 games
>>
But the dex has a huge dissonance with the description of pokemon in general. They are implied to ALL be able to think and act just like a human. The dex changes this on a case by case basis.
>>
>>25569527
Magcargo can low it's temperature.
All fire (Type) Pokémon can do that as well.
>>
>>25569777
Provide evidence please...
>>
>>25569616
I'll hide that post.
>>
>>25569638
I'm hiding that post.
>>
>>25569838
>Magcargo can low it's temperature.
[citation needed]
Even then a newly evolved Magcargo would have to adjust.
>>
>>25569879
>>25569892
Hid these posts
>>
>>25569900
Pokémon laws of physics, laws of Biology and etc...

a Magcargo make it's temperature rise up and down.
>>
>>25569924
Off topic nonesene.
Your next.
>>
>>25569936
>a Magcargo make it's temperature rise up and down.
[citation needed]
>>
>>25569879
>>25569892
>>25569955
hided
>>
>>25567287
If it contradicts the lore it doesnt count when discussing lore.
And the other way around when discussing gameplay. If Spoink gets paralyzed or frozen wont die for example, so it's safe to play with it against an Ice pokemon.

>>25567339
Welcome to hte pokemon fanbase. The only video game fanbase that havent figured out what a video game is.
>>
>>25569864
What would you say is the general impression of pokemon is, then? They're all clearly more like us than the animals of our world. It's not a learned behavior, too, it's inherent.
>>
>>25570010
>The only video game fanbase that havent figured out what a video game is.
>a video game can't have lore and mechanics that intertwine
Tell me more about how these games that predate pokemon don't exist.
>>
>>25567487
> Canon (official).
Those two words mean different things anon.
Gameplay is part of the pokemon games so it's official.

>>25567519
To instruct the player, not to make a point about the inner-universe workings.
>>
>>25569957
There are more than one Magcargo.
That's, why. I said A Magcargo.
>>
>>25570034
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Canon
>>
>>25568388
>I always assumed it unlocks the entries as you catch the pokemon.
That's literally what it does.

> It's obvious the professors know about all the Pokemon
It isnt, specially in legendarie's case. They may have seen or heard of most, but they didnt catch them so they couldnt get info.
>>
>>25570036
Okay, so how does that disprove anything when every Magcargo should be causing the world to burn.
Especially if they're wild Magcargo.
>>
>>25570032
>a video game can't have lore and mechanics that intertwine
Did you even read the first part of my post? They do, and sometimes they don't. There's even a fucking tvtropes page for that.
It's obvious and not discussion worthy if we didnt have such a retarded fanbase.
>>
>>25570028
Provide evidence that the Pokédex says a Pokémon is a Pokémon don't act like a Human.
>>
>>25570049
Tha definition is wrong anon. "Official" (http://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=official) means it's authorized by the trademark owners, whether its canon or not is another thing.
The TCG is official and I'm pretty sure Geodude is not a fighting pokemon in the games.
>>
>>25570072
I shouldn't have to, you clearly know the pokedex better than I do, and it's plain as day to me.
>>
>>25570055
Why would a Magcargo rise It's temperature up to 18,000 degrees F.

Magcargo know that they would destroy the World by doing so.
>>
>>25570097
No. Provide evidence please.
I never said that I knew everything about Pokémon.
>>
>>25570100
>Magcargo know that they would destroy the World by doing so.
>Wild Magcargo
>Knowing shit about the world
>>
>>25570092
Canon is slang for Official.
>>
>>25570126
All Pokémon posses forms of intelligence.
They're all self aware.
>>
>>25570157
>All Pokémon posses forms of intelligence.
Not enough to know specific things like that on their own otherwise humans wouldn't be the dominant species in the Pokemon world.
>>
>>25570138
No, people use it wrong. Proven by the fact people call official productions on a franchise as non-canon.
>>
>>25567157
>a high-tech device created by humans can't write erroneous data
>>
From what I've seen of it, those franchises that are like us and have multiple media sources, they either have different levels of canon, or it's clear that each different medium is it's own canon. They all seem to be like us, though, and the original work is the highest, indisputable canon. We also fall into the category of something that has been retconned several times over. Your mileage may vary on which incarnation is the accepted version for anything.

So for us, the games are the central part of the lore, but the problem is this lore does not explain everything, and makes no effort to explain everything. It even leaves some things vague and has no certain answer. This makes it a very unreliable source. How can we have a standard if it's unreliable?
>>
>>25570187
No. It can't be, since updated models are always being created in labs.
>>
>>25570174
Not necessarily. One of the most prominent themes in pokemon is the matter that they are more in tune with nature than us. They are not like us in that respect, they'd rather work with nature than alter it to their own ends. Besides, nothing said humans were dominant in this world. Everything mentions both humans AND pokemon, coexisting as the prominent form of life.
>>
>>25570174
That's why. I said All Pokémon posses forms of intelligence.

Some Pokémon are smarter than other Pokémon and some Pokémon are smarter than Human.
>>
>>25570200
> they either have different levels of canon
Anything else aside form STar Wars?

>They all seem to be like us, though,
Nah, they don't waste time discussing the obvious, the differences between info sources are mostly clear with most discussing arising from different interpretations.

>So for us, the games are the central part of the lore, but the problem is this lore does not explain everything, and makes no effort to explain everything. It even leaves some things vague and has no certain answer.
Partially agree, but there are many times like this where people don't get what's explained, what is not, what is vague intentionally or what of it comes from incompetence.
>>
>>25570266
Well, from what I understand, most people would be like everything is left up to interpretation and leave it at that. There is no central standard, the point IS to make up your own version of it. This would only irk the more diehard people that HAVE to have everything explained in some manner. I'm not that familiar with other franchises, though. My policy has always been I'll believe what I want to believe and no one, not even some uppity pack of nerds will tell me different.
>>
>>25570240
>One of the most prominent themes in pokemon is the matter that they are more in tune with nature than us.
That doesn't exactly mean that they're aware of the ramifications of their own existence anon. Especially if they've only just acquired their form.

On top of that with intelligence comes free will and it's hard to come to terms that not a single Magcargo has wanted to literally make the planet burn for it's own reasons or even a Team Magma tier plot.
>>
>games known to not care about continuity give out conflicting information about a minor piece of the game

>people will argue about this

W E W.L A D
>>
>>25570395
Psychic Pokémon can predict the future and possible alternative futures as well. They'll be aware of such a Magcargo that wanted to destroy the World.
>>
>>25570395
I've always thought that a high form of intelligence is REQUIRED to know how to control a form of power of any kind, otherwise you could very well blast yourself to bits. I know stuff like Pichu where it's explained it's not developed enough to know how to do that yet, but it's evos are. This is not a universal theme, though, and varies according to source. The kind of control pokemon exhibit, though, I am certain most would see that as an advanced form of control.
>>
>>25570491
>I've always thought that a high form of intelligence is REQUIRED to know how to control a form of power of any kind
Not in this argument, but that's debatable,since you can control something as part of your nature.
The Sun arguably has a lot of power compared to anything on Earth and is not even sentient.
>>
>>25570580
Well, the sun isn't exactly what I would call control. It is relative to a lot of things, but otherwise, it's pure chaos in every way.
>>
>>25570210
Then you should be using only the latest Pokédex's entries as reference. Data from older games are obsolete.
>>
>>25570796
The newer dexes ARE using data from older dexes.
>>
Oh man, I love these threads. When do we talk about how Alakazaam is actually a human child who went through a Kafka filter?
>>
>>25570851
Not always. The data not mentioned in the newest dex should be disregarded since they come from older dexes.
>>
>>25570933
Not always? I swear the entries for ALL older pokemon are from an older dex. The only new entries are the new pokemon.
>>
>>25570897
In The story. A Kadabra was originally a Human.

Anything outside of the story is non-canon, such as the players catching Arceus and other legendary Pokémon and online Pokémon battles.
>>
>>25570956
Yes, but they don't include all the information from the older games. They usually alternate, but that still means that old data is obsolete.
>>
>>25567157
The dex already has information about the pokemon species, but the pokeballs you use then register species inside of it allowing the dex to connect to the database and pull up the files for the information on that species.

A real life hypotheical would be a handheld device that tells you basic information on any animal species you stab with an electrode that reads the DNA. The pokedex is actually an amazing device it could be possible to make a human version of the pokedex by registering the DNA of people.
>>
>>25571197
So...no old pokemon have lore anymore? Only the new pokemon? This requires analysis.
>>
>>25567157
What if the Pokedex is a device from an ancient civilization Oak found and reverse engineered?
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.