[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SI
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 63446.png (524 KB, 2219x1989) Image search: [Google]
63446.png
524 KB, 2219x1989
>If I want to play Pokémon in a language that isn't English, I have to deal with metric shit
>>
>>25564224
Even if you're an amerifat, every relevant field of study uses the metric system. It's objectively superior to imperial and if a grown adult can't use it then you're pretty much a waste of resources.
>>
>>25564224
>metric shit
Having fun in Lardland, Americunt? The entire world uses metric except your awful country.
>>
How do you "have to deal with it"?
It only shows in the pokedex.
>>
>>25564224
I feel like you only started this thread for the soul porpoise of provoking a hostile reaction.
>>
>>25564247
Myanmar and Liberia also don't use it iirc
>>
>>25564247
as a brit, I use the imperial system in conversation. If I was writing a research paper or something, then sure, I'd convert to metric, but if someone asks how tall I am, I answer '6 feet and 3 inches'. Most of my friends are the same.
>>
>>25564955
>as a brit

didn't even read the rest of this post
>>
>>25564245
>>25564247
Yes, I am aware that the scientific world uses metric, even in the States.

Some folks prefer to use imperial system when speaking casually, I guess, but as for me, I prefer to refer to temperature exclusively in Kelvins.
>>
File: 1457719107011.jpg (22 KB, 240x237) Image search: [Google]
1457719107011.jpg
22 KB, 240x237
>disliking godtier metric system
>>
>>25564709
Not exactly helping the arguement
>>
SI is inferior because it's decimal.

Go to duodecimal then we'll talk. It's not a proper standardized system unless all units (i.e. time) are all on the same base.
>>
>>25566883
Or we could switch to metric time.

Remember this moment, people, eighty past two on April 47th!
>>
File: 1430313001760.jpg (20 KB, 402x424) Image search: [Google]
1430313001760.jpg
20 KB, 402x424
>>25567080
>everything is in tens
well yes, it's easier to count that way then say, by 12's.
>metric's long decimals are irrelevant
that's not a metric thing, that's a math thing. It's common practice to round to the first or second digit.
>it's a widely used system of measurement
Yeah, so it's a standard across the world. It makes trade easier.

The only slightly valid complaints I have heard for metric are that it's harder for illiterates to count with, because you can count to twelve for imperial on your knuckles, and that it's not in human scale like imperial is, because we don't really get numbers like 47 cm.

>Doesn't use imperial or metric
What kinda fucked up system do you use?
>>
As an American, I do prefer metric but also realize that it's impractical to switch. It's been tried, and it's just not feasible. Everything here is written in Imperial, and switching would be absurdly expensive and disruptive. As long as we know how to use metric when necessary (which we do, they do teach it in schools here) it's not really worth a full transition to everyday use.
>>
>>25567080
>Complaining about there being too many numbers
Are you legitimately retarded?
>Complaining about both Metric and Imperial
What do you want things to be measured in then?
>>
>>25564976
You sound autistic
>>
>>25567304

The only reasonable post in this thread.
>>
>>25564247

Mad third-world shitter detected.
>>
>>25568132
Canada here, makes sense to me. Referring to heights and weights of human sized objects or objects that are relative to human size in imperial makes sense in a casual conversation like >>25567230 said.
It's easier to measure a person in feet than meters, because most adults are like a meter and a half, but cm and decimeters are awkward to use to explain scale, while we know feet. It might be something that goes away the more imperial fades from our repertoire, and it might be something that we keep. But in 2016 it still makes sense to use.

>>25567304
My grandfather worked as a bank manager. During the conversion to metric, he received and contributed to a memo going around saying that they would be switching to metric time, as a prank. Nothing fucks up management and accounting more than explaining to them that minutes will now be 100 seconds and hours will be 100 minutes.
>>
>>25568180
Are you stupid?
The entire world can't be a third-world country. Nations greater than the US use the metric system.
>>
>>25567304
This man gets it. Switching to metric would be so mind-numbingly expensive and disruptive that it just isn't worth it.

I can use both Imperial and Metric. It's not difficult to learn metric once you know Imperial, and it's not difficult to learn Imperial if you're brought up with it. I also believe Imperial is better for every day life outside of the scientific world, but metric is by far the superior measurement system for scientific purposes.

Still, NASA was using Imperial Standard back in the 60's during the Apollo program. It got us to the moon and back, so it can't be that bad.
>>
>>25568215
>Nations greater than the US use the metric system
That might be true if such a nation existed.
>>
>>25568204
>Because most adults are like a meter and a half
>Easier to measure in feet than meters
Instead of saying the person is 6 feet, you say he's 1.80. It's not that hard. I seriously don't get the argument that it's easier when you can literally apply the same logic to meters.
You just mentally divide people into 1.7-, 1.8-, 1.9- classes like you would do for 3 to 6 feet.
>>
>>25568372
it's just easier because it's ingrained in the culture is what I'm trying to say.
>>
>>25568468
My bad, fair enough
>>
>>25567071
>metric time.
Isn't that what they use in Star Trek?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.