[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best rival thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 6
File: Gary.jpg (235 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Gary.jpg
235 KB, 1920x1080
Best rival thread.
>>
>>25562405
Silver
>>
File: 1457646208013.jpg (161 KB, 739x668) Image search: [Google]
1457646208013.jpg
161 KB, 739x668
Best.
>>
>>25562415
no shit man
I also love how his team was pretty much what I wanted to have anyway when I played through
>>
No appreciation for Blue Oak?
>>
>>25562405
>cheren+bianca
>silver
>barry
The best.
>>
Tie between Barry and Bianca.

I was really hoping that BW2 would reveal that they're related somehow. They look similar and even dress in the same colors. Oh well.
>>
>>25562462
Besides being an asshole, Blue doesn't really have much of a story.
>>
Blue = Silver = Barry = Cheren = Bianca = Wally > Hugh > Brendan/May >>>>>>>>>>>> every one of the Kalos rivals
>>
>>25562462

Babby's first rival.

>Muh arrogant dick

His bad attitude is greatly exaggerated by his fans.
>>
>>25562405
>>25562415
>>25562439
Why do people like silver
>>
>>25562405
I want one with the rudeness of Blue, so it feels satisfying to kick his ass, but with a story behind him of him getting nastier and more desperate so the final fight feels really gud.
>>
>>25562509
I loved Gen 2, but Silver wasn't all that, Blue was a better rival who felt like a villian
>>
>>25562509
He has character development and a back story.
>>
>>25562495

This. Blue is nothing special. His entire deal was "I'm a dick." Not an interesting character at all.
>>
>>25562486
He's the only rival besides Cheren that has continuity and character development in a direct sequel.
>>
>>25562405
I liked barry because he wasn't a total dick, but also he didn't suck you off constantly like most of the recent rivals.
>>
>>25562534
he always sounded autistic to me and extremely annoying
>>
>>25562528

Bianca? She becomes the professor's assistant. Hell, she gives you your first Pokemon in BW2, the first non-professor to do so.
>>
>>25562528
You really couldn't describe his personality as much more than (ex?)asshole.
>>
>>25562542
he was energetic and a bit of a spaz, but it didn't bother me
>>
>>25562546
i could, he seems less of a jerk and became more mature during Gold/Silver. Is more accepting in defeat than previously and applied his method of having well balanced team when he was a champion to being a gym leader rather than having a single typing.
>>
>>25562489
I'd put Wally above the likes of Cheren, Bianca, and Barry
>>
>>25562527
>>25562527
Being an utter cunt makes a villian satiating to defeat, especially if the game works hard to make him a bitch to fight
>>
>>25562609
Seems like your exaggerating, a 10 year old jerk as a villain.
>>
gary and whoever the fuck the autist before the last is
>>
>>25562646
You know what I mean. If the guy is a complete jerk, it does make it great to knock down a peg.

I am just tired of the "gary was the victim" and "Gary is still the winner" crap.
>>
I really want to see a reverse-silver thing happen.
>You start out nice friends with your rival, like brendan/may
>As you battle them, they become increasingly more frustrated
>saltier and saltier attitude each time you beat them
>eventually they begin to resent you
>by the last battle, they loathe you
>they end their post-battle diaogue with a simple cold "i hate you" before flying off somewhere

>there will never be a post-game quest where you desperately try to chase after them and fix your relationship
>they will never scream "LEAVE ME ALONE" before one final red/barry tier fight in some really fucking remote place
>they will never break down into tears afterwards repeatedly apologizing for what they'd become
>you will never immediately forgive them and help them to their feet
>you will never take them home, knowing you've mended your friendship with them
>>
>>25562405
Rival opinions
Blue-a classic asshole that motivates you to kick ass
Silver-A violent asshole
May-Her rivalry with you is just one big shit test
Barry-Fucking faggot
Cheren-Cool
Bianca-Just give up pokemon battling
Hugh-Fucking faggot
Serena-Sexual frustration the character
Tierno-Chill
The autist dude with the weird hair-Learn some confidence dammit
Shauna-Flirts with you all the time.
>>
>>25562673
I understand that, There's nothing to suggest he is a victim unless you look at theories that portray him that way. Honestly i just view him as a bratty 10 year old, though at the same time he kinda represents children as well, i mean who wouldn't be a dick if they were constantly ahead of their rival, had awesome Pokemon and was a Pokemon champion for a short time. Though at the same time he probably has a superiority complex
>>
>>25562701
sounds gay 2bh
>>
>>25562739
you sound gay, faggot
>>
>>25562745
want to swing by my place and sort this out?
>>
>>25562770
Can you handle his girth?
>>
File: 16753456.jpg (55 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
16753456.jpg
55 KB, 500x400
When I first played through Gold version and the guy asked me what the Rival's name was I didn't understand it was asking me to name him so I just put in "?" because I didn't know

So the whole game my rival was ?

Kinda added to the experience in retrospect, not like I actually knew who he was
>>
>>25562808
He did tell you his name after you defeat him for the first time though.
>>
>>25562808
He doesnt have a legit name to begin with in HG/SS its either Soul or Heart and the manga version is called Silver
>>
>>25562808
I thought it was a girl in GSC.
>>
>>25562701
>>they end their post-battle diaogue with a simple cold "i hate you" before flying off somewhere

2edgy4me
>>
Blue > ORAS Wally > Barry > Hugh > Cheren and Bianca > May > The XY autists

Hugh could have really been great if he wasnt such a faggot with the "IM ABOUT TO UNLEASH MY RAGE" shit
>>
File: unova league.png (304 KB, 414x320) Image search: [Google]
unova league.png
304 KB, 414x320
I really don't get why N isn't considered a rival when he was the designated Blue parallel, not Cheren or Bianca.
>>
>>25562992

N was closer to the antagonist, not the rival.
>>
File: pYjyClB.jpg (193 KB, 1000x900) Image search: [Google]
pYjyClB.jpg
193 KB, 1000x900
>>25562527
>>25562609
>>25562673

You know I actually kind of got sucked into the "Blue is a complete asshole" meme because I hadn't played Gen 1 in ages but it's completely wrong. After replaying Gen 1 on VC he's not even that bad. He is an asshole at the start of Yellow when he takes the Pokemon meant for you and when you beat him as champion (To be fair he's like 10 and you just took champion from him minutes/hours after he got it himself after working so hard to accomplish it). Other than that he isn't even that bad, he even gives you advice on the way. He trash talks you, but so what? He's a fucking rockstar Pokemon trainer at the age of 10, of course he is going to be a bit cocky. This is way better than the constant brown nosing the rivals in later gens will give you.

Silver on the hand is definitely a dick. I really don't know how you could compare Blue to this edgelord.
>>
>>25562808
Haha holy shit I did this too. After the battle he said something like "My name's ???..." so I just wrote ???.
>>
>>25563191
The meme is because Gary was an pompous douche, so people conflated that with Blue.
>>
Great rivals:
Blue
Silver
Barry
ORAS Wally

OK Rivals:
Hugh

Shit Rivals:
Everything else.

The ones I listed all have memorable traits and have evolving teams throughout the game that pushes you to improve as a player. Everyone else is just garbage.
>>
Cheren=Wally=Barry>Silver>Brendan/May=Calem/Serena>Blue>Bianca>Shit>Cancer>Trevor=Tierno
>>
>>25563265

I thought Bianca was quite memorable, in that she had a very different personality and outlook - namely that it was clear that she wasn't that great. The battles against her were challenging enough, but she was distinct in that she obviously had a different path, which was realized in BW2. Just because of this uniqueness, I thought she was one of the more interesting and memorable rivals.
>>
>>25563294
She was okay, I guess. I thought her team was pretty shit outside of Stoutland
>>
>>25563325
She made a good waifu
>you will never make her feel safe and sure in your arms
>>
>>25562405
Blue is the only good rival.
>>
>>25562405
Barry,Blue, Silver and Shauna (her motivation of "travel and see cool shit" was fine and the one on one segments with her helped her stand out from the other retards.)

Hugh could have been good if they gave a better reason over the stolen pokemon. It was his, or it was a gift to his sister, it belonged to a dead parent) hell, his sister didn't even get a unique sprite.

Wally really benefited from the remake, his growth and development became much more apparent
>>
>>25562436
Literally an autistuc sonic fan
>>
post what you would do with each rival

>go drinking with blue

>play poker with silver

>beach with brendan/may

>vidya with wally

>go to mall with barry

>lunch with bianca

>movie marathon with cheren

>soccer with hugh

skipping XY "rivals" because i never played XY, i went straight to ORAS
>>
Blue = Silver >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cheren = Purrloin = Barry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wally >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the rest
>>
>>25563344
Not when his champion team is a lot worse than Barry's right before the Pokemon League
>>
>>25562929
>edgy is always bad and doesnt exist exist in the real world
You fucking meme swallowing goyim are the best lol
>>
>>25563429
>Actually defending edginess.

Well now I've seen everything.
>>
>>25562405
I like Silver because he's actually antagonistic. I feel like the "friendly rival who will inevitably fall behind you" thing is totally overplayed and a bit sad. Slamming May's ass into the dirt over and over was actually a bit depressing near the end. Two friends who started at basically the same spot but in the span of a short while one just grossly surpasses the other? Makes me pout just thinking about it.

With Silver he felt like an antihero version of your character. You were naturally drawn to each other from the start. In a way you and Silver represented the truth/ideals debate from Gen V, but on a much smaller, more self-contained scale.
>>
>>25563498
He also called you a meme swallower while calling you a goyim, which is memeing as well
Ignore him
>>
>>25563120

Why can't a character be both?

Blue practically helped Rocket at one point, and Silver was a crook.
>>
>>25562992
The role of the rival is primarily just "the guy who shows up as you're having your journey because he's also having his journey and you fight his shitty team up until the end".

While N does the constant fighting thing he's not doing the whole journey side by side thing. He just short of shows up at points to fight just like all the bad guys do but he's slightly less douchey about it. He's also a more direct antagonist than the rivals.

At their core they're just the "other kid(s)" doing the same shit you are and help you measure your growth. As time has gone on we have shit like Bianca or the Kalos retarded Scooby gang who hang out with the player a lot more since they're more than just the old rivals who just showed up every few cities to have a fight and fuck off. They're still "the rivals" though since they fill the same niche and N doesn't.
>>
>>25563591

He can be both, and N definitely was some of each. But overall I'd say he was closer to BW's Archie/Cyrus/Lysandre/etc. than its Silver/Barry/Wally/etc. Of course the whole situation is complicated by the "true" antagonist being Ghetsis, but for most of the game he's both a rival and antagonist but I'd say more on the antagonist side.
>>
>>25562405
Looking at this picture only makes me think of how awful most of them are. Including Silver.

The only reason I like Blue is because he poses a threat to you as a Rival, unlike everyone else. The jerk act is irrelevant, he's always one step ahead and he actually becomes the champion until you show up. I'm sick of Rivals going all the way to Victory Road/the literal entrance to the Pokemon League and then pussying out.
>>
1>2>5.5>3(Wally)>5>4>6

I hope the next Rival's a complete asshole or shit, or what if the Rival is the team Leader? (Kind of like, N, fuck it)

Maybe your rival is the first gym leader and after the defeat he trains hard just to be better than you.
>>
They should do a fake out where the minor/friendly rival (like Shauna or those 2 useless fucks) becomes the Champion against all odds.
>>
>>25563984
This is what I wanted them to do with Wally in the remakes and they didn't
>>
>>25563936
>I'm sick of Rivals going all the way to Victory Road/the literal entrance to the Pokemon League and then pussying out.
maybe if they made it a battle for who gets to fight the E4 first and make it really tough

If you lose lol, you fight them after beating the champion, if you win, they challenge you instead.
>>
>>25563984

Remember that one time they "Leaked" that Bianca was the champion in gen 5? I actually believed it when I was still playing the Japanese Rom, but I was very dissapointed by the outcome, not the final battle of the story but the actual champion was a letdown, his theme is also the worst.
>>
>>25564060
That's a pretty good idea, I like it
>>
They could change things up by making the rival obsessed with catching the box legendary. Your rival goes ahead of you to try and catch the legendary on his own and that's the last you see of him (but they never directly say what happens).
>>
>>25564133
did he died?
>>
>>25564072
would be nice if they made their teams more interesting. Half of them are fire/water/grass/electric/normal, which is stale as fuck. Give them 10-15 pokemon that can possibly end up on their team.
>>
>>25564194
>>25564133
You could put these 2 together. Like the Rival being obsessed with the Sun legendary and only catching pokemon that are related to the sun in some way
>>
File: Omega_Ruby_Alpha_Sapphire_Wally.png (400 KB, 474x1280) Image search: [Google]
Omega_Ruby_Alpha_Sapphire_Wally.png
400 KB, 474x1280
>that ORAS Wally, right after the Mauville fight
I don't remember him being so fucking cute! I just wanna take him home and help treat his asthma! That damn kid has no right being that adorable.
>>
>>25563498
Thats pretty impressive if you really have seen everything in the 2 weeks you've been here
>>
Barry might not be the best rival in any other way, but he was easily the one with the best/most challenging team.
>>
1. Barry- good team and actually has a personality.

2. Bianca- Had a cheesy story, but it's better than the other stories and she has a personality.

3. Hugh/Cheren- Both have cool designs and okay teams. They both lack in personality, though.

4. Silver- He had the best story, but his team was AWFUL and easy to beat.

5. Blue- For his time, he was pretty good.

6. Shauna- She was the only mildly likeable one in X and Y. Easy team, but somewhat memorable.

7. Brendan and May- Blank slates, but their team was somewhat okay, and the rival theme was nice.

8. Serena- SO boring. She literally has no personality, and her team is easily one of the worst.

9. Tierno- What even is he? Is team is terrible, and his dancing "gimmick" is useless.

10. Wally- He's really just a sob-story, and I don't like how he replaced May/Brendan.

11. Trevor- I irrationally hate him. I don't really know why, but he seriously grinds my gears. His team sucks, and I hate his design.
>>
>>25562405

>Silver
>N
>Everyone elses.
>>
>>25563634

>Rival: a person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity:

>N's entire story in BW1 "I wanna be champion because I want to show the world that my truth/ideals are better than your ideals/truth

>Not a rival

ok kid.
>>
>>25564065

>but the actual champion was a letdown, his theme is also the worst

That's kind of the point. Alder's skill rusted due to depression and not facing any serious challengers in a long time. He should have lost the title before we fought him.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.