[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does vp play VGC?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
Have you guys played at any local tournaments? any CP? Do you like/dislike the battle style (doubles)? I have a friend who will rather die than play VGC solely cause he's not comfortable playing doubles.
>>
Anyways, OP, please listen to me. I know that it's not really related to this thread. I went to the Safari Zone a while ago. You know, Safari Zone? Well, there was an insane number of people there, and I couldn't get in. Then, I looked at the banner hanging from the ceiling, and it had "150 Poké off" written on it. Oh, the stupidity. Those idiots. You don't come to the Safari Zone just because it's 150 Poké off, fool. It's only 150 Poké, 1-5-0 POKé for crying out loud. There're even entire families here. Family of 4, all out for some rare Pokémon, huh? How fucking nice.
"Alright, daddy's gonna catch a Girafarig." God, I can't bear to watch. You people, I'll give you 150 Poké if you get out of those bushes. The Safari Zone should be a bloody place. That tense atmosphere, where two guys on opposite sides of the U-shaped shrubbery can start a battle at any time, the Hyper-Beam-or-be-Hyper-Beamed mentality, that's what's great about this place. Women and children should screw off and stay home. Anyways, I was about to start catching, and then the bastard next to me goes "Chansey, use Rollout." Who in the world uses Rollout nowadays, you moron? I want to ask him, "Do you REALLY want to use a move that takes five turns?"
I want to interrogate him. I want to interrogate him for roughly an hour. Are you sure you don't just want to say "Rollout"? Coming from a Safari veteran such as myself, the latest trend among us vets is this, Farfetch'd. That's right, Farfetch'd. This is the vet's way of Pokémon catching. Farfetch'd means more green onion than anything. But on the other hand the price is a tad higher. This is the key. And then, it's awesome. This is unbeatable. However, if you catch this then there is danger that you'll be marked by the old toothless man next time; it's a Double-Edge attack. I can't recommend it to amateurs. What this all really means, though, is that you, OP, should just stick with fighting Youngsters outside of Pallet Town.
>>
>>25556260
wat deh fug?
>>
>>25556242
tell him to kill himself then
>>
>>25556242
I play vgc pretty exclusivly, I'm almost like your friend but with singles lol
being busy as fuck though means ive only been to a few PC's and am sitting at shitty 68 CP.
Im going to a PC tomorrow though so wish me luck that I come home with 108 CP
>>
VGC is shit because you can only use about 20 pokemon and you only get 2-3 moveslots for each.
>>
>>25556469
Im sorry our metagame has more depth and requires protect for significantly more strategic play
>>
>>25556538
>More depth
>Everything has protect and the first opening move of every game is always fake-out.
>such diversity
>muh meta
>>
>>25556550
>playing chess
>both sides have pawns
>almost every game begin with pawn to e4
>muh diversity blah blah blah good players dont limit themselves for the sake of 'diversity', we play to win.
>>
>>25556242
what does cp do other than get you v&
>>
>>25556756

paid trips with covered expenses if you are top notch pokemanz player plus you also play on the stage which in my opinion is the closest thing to a real life pokemon trainer
>>
>>25556242
I don't understand why it's set up as doubles when the entire time you're playing through pokemon story mode it's almost entirely singles format.

Why not just have a rated singles too
>>
Raising a Hydreigon for Battle Maison. Modest or Timid?
>>
vgc16 is okay, i can only tolerate it in doses
bs singles is more my thing right now

GF should work more with TPCi to get more people actually interested in it because it is relatively esoteric, so I empathize with your friend. Post game facilities (or what's left of them anyway) by themselves ask significantly more from a player than the main game, they should ease them into it more.
>>
>>25556823
There are rated Singles, but I bet you don't even play it.
>>
>>25556857
modest specs anon.

Erase things
>>
twitch/nuggetbridge

california midseason showdown right now
>>
>>25556938
I do now. I meant a 6v6 singles.
>>
>>25557139
finals starting now
>>
>>25557656
The recent Kanto Classic was 6v6 singles. There may or may not have been more examples.
Outside of one-offs like there's no indication GF nor TPC seem interested in such a format.
>>
>>25557656
because 6v6 singles takes for fucking ever, and in a real life tournament setting, you want quick matches

this is also one of the reason why they always do doubles. Not only are matches generally faster, but stalling is pretty much unviable outside of stuff like perish trap or timer stalling (and even then that only lasts for 15 mins max)
>>
This ubertopia meta is shit, waiting for vgc2017 already.
>>
>>25556242
>any CP?
Around 3 GB
Actually, a friend of mine has 225~, with 50 more he can go to world's
>>
>>25556823
Honestly its for time reasons, in 4v4 doubles a 15minute match is long. In 6v6 singles matches commonly go for 45 mins and longer
>>
>>25558685
>>25557984
Buy my team is only great for 6v6. It's blown apart too easy in 3v3 without everything being able to cover weaknesses.

Kind of dumb that this 3v3 and doubles makes it even harder to run shit that isn't ou and super meta
>>
>>25558739
Because in 3v3 and 4v4 doubles there's more strategy than just "switch in things that resist the move". You get extreme role compression.
>>
>>25558758
No its just aoe, priority, fake out, and protects every other turn. Sometimes there's a state boost move
>>
>>25558739
why are you trying to apply smogon tiers to non-smogon formats

i don't understand why people do this
>>
>>25558972
Because that's just the way I battled and my team was never all ou. I used a lot of things that were uu and sometimes maybe weaker but now I can't even use them at all because they are just not strong enough outside of 6v6 singles
>>
File: ice_floes_by_phycofox-d33z3js.jpg (98 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
ice_floes_by_phycofox-d33z3js.jpg
98 KB, 1024x819
>>25558739
I actually think things are more diverse this format, 2 different walreins top cut regionals on the same day on opposite ends of the country. Machamp got second at anaheim, and bronzong won anaheim. Vgc is far from stale.
>>
>>25559084
I don't think bronzong is going to be very niche at all by the time worlds runs around. It's basically a less bulky cresselia that also has the ability to smack around xerneas and fits extremely well on double primal teams.
>>
>>25559084
You kidding? It's just all groundon, kyogore, and xernas.

With some rayquaza, ditto, gengars, and talonflame
>>
>>25559106
>it's all just M-Mawile and M-Kang
>it's all just getting the knockdown and starting the vortex
>it's all just penalty kicks and free throws

I've given up on people like you. I don't know if it's just the inability to accept that consistent low-risk strategies and plays are strong (practically the essence of game theory) or something else.
>>
>>25559185
It was all just knockdowns and vortex though. That's exactly why they added delayed wakeup to get rid of that. Only ibuki for some reason can vortex the same and grapplers.

Look. I honestly wouldn't even mind facing all of that broken shit. IF I could face it in 6v6 singles where my team would be much stronger.
>>
I've played before, but the one-on-one feel was difficult to enjoy after creating such big armies in MtG.

Still, loads of fun. Would play non competitive with friends if people wanted to.
>>
File: BATORU.png (4 KB, 104x48) Image search: [Google]
BATORU.png
4 KB, 104x48
I'm an ok player. Need one more regional finish but I can lock up worlds fairly easily
>>
I went to Worlds 2 years ago, school workload has prohibited me from playing since
>>
>>25558781
Of course it is, I mean, you've obviously played there since its inception, so you know exactly how it is, right?
>>
>>25556452
I've only been to one and I only have 20.
I figure if I do well enough at a midseason showdown and a regional I can get to 128. Then if I apply myself I can get 222 from a modest placing at Nationals and just barely make it.
>>
>>25561371
I'm in a similar position. Because my country rarely gets events, it's extremely easy to qualify for Worlds, but I don't even try because I don't have the money to go to another country just to play Pokemon, and I know for sure I wouldn't get support from my family since they all think that everything videogame related is for people that love wasting their time. That, and the fact that college takes most of my free time, so I can't just say "nah, fuck college, I'll go try to be the world champion" without any repercussions.

I wonder how many people are able to do that if they aren't from the US.
>>
>>25561335
I already have my invite, you suck
>>
>>25561488
what country are you from? I'm from the US, California specifically, so even then its a bit of a hassle to travel to the other side of the country to play Pokemon
>>
I started playing VGC and decided to try and use my bros. I came up with an arcanine that doesn't really do much but potentially annoy. It's unexpected which is why it's successful at times. what do you guys think?

Arcanine @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Bulldoze
- Snarl
- Overheat
- Iron Head

Just trying to do something different which isn't always the best approach, but fuck it. I just wanna have fun anymore.
>>
I don't really like doubles. Tbh vgcfags and smogonfags are terrible in general.
>>
>>25561760
Why not invest more in special def rather than physical? You already have intimidate to increase physical bulk.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.