[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
What went wrong?
>>
Dindu nuthin'.
>>
>>25551916
The remake failed to meet the standard it set due to various unwanted additions and removals.
>>
>>25551916
>removed Day/Night
>you couldn't trade Eggs or Nationaldex mon into Emerald until postgame
That's it. Pretty solid otherwise.
>>
Outclassed by the remake that mitigated the problems of the originals.
>>
>>25551916
They were better than Gen 2 and the kiddies couldn't handle that.
>>
>>25551937
>removed Day/Night
It didn't, day night events and encounters still happened, it just wasn't visually represented, you are arguing a literal superficial bullshit.
>>
Sea. Wingull. Trumpets.
>>
>>25551969
Literally this
>>
Oddishes, Zigzagoons and poochyena lines composed 80% of Hoenn pokemon population
>>
>>25551916
Nothing, I liked gen 3
>>
>>25552016
>literally I have shit taste, the post
>>
This was my first gen
>>
>>25552022
Hey it could be worse. At least he doesnt like gen 5
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 376x362) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 376x362
>>25551966
The only day/night event in Gen 3 was evolving Eevee into Espeon or Umbreon.

They also took out the weekly events from GSC, which I hated at the time, but I guess was actually good for convenience purposes.
>mfw waiting a whole week for a Lapras
>>
Nothing, Emerald was great.
>>
>>25552036
Gen V is the best gen, faggot. Reevaluate your life.
>>
>>25552059
The more I think back, White really hit a sweet spot with me. Post game was fun, and felt good for breeding/training/trading. There was enough content. The map design was super simple and that actually was a good thing.

Never got to B/W2, can't speak for that.
>>
>>25552085

BW2 are 10 times better than BW, which are also great games.

Gen V did almost everything right. Its starters are questionable though.
>>
>>25552094
Damn, I guess I have to peel off the wrapper on my copy of Black 2 then.

That's the first game to add the "you got all the Pokémon in this area" functionality, right?
>>
>>25552117

Yeah. Gen V as a whole had some of the best new features of the series, imo. Hopefully Gen VI does what Gen V did right.
>>
RS were so bad there's literally no reason to play them over Emerald. And even then Emerald couldn't fix all of RS's problems
>>
>>25552143

> Extralink
> Try hard story
> Shit map
> Worst EXP system
> Dream world

Too many widgets and what not
>>
>>25552157
Gen 6 couldnt even fix Hoenn
>>
>>25552143
I really liked the implementation of the rustling grass/clouds/whatever. The double battle grass I though was kinda cool. The catch up experience was fine. Seasons was great, but they always backpedal on features that are more for atmosphere for some reason.

Honestly, the Pokémon were a mixed bag. Some of the best and some of the worst. The gen that gave us Garbador also gave us Hydreigon.

The story is what stood out in white for me. It was kinda hamfisted PETA bullshit, but when you think you've beaten the game but a castle pops up at the end, that was pretty damn cool.
>>
The Teams were too stupid to function. Why would you want LESS water on the planet? Why would you want LESS land to live on?

When the leaders were fully grown adults making these idiotic plans, it kind of felt like an insult to my intelligence when I was a kid.
>>
>>25552183
The actual world design, pokemon, music, and overall style more than made up for it to me.

Dream world was stupid though. I'll certainly give you that.
>>
>>25552188
Gen 6 couldn't fix anything.
>>
>>25552202

This.
A Gen 6.5 wouldn't even be able to fix Gen 6.
>>
>>25551916
Cut compatibility made a lot of people butthurt.
Ugly sprites.

Other than that, nothing. Best gen for the best handheld.
>>
>>25552183
>Extralink

Cool concept, done poorly.

>Try hard story

I agree that it wasnt good, but that's not something exclusive to Gen V. Gen 3 onwards have all had garbage stories.

>Shit map

Disagree. Unova was pretty nice. Its main flaw was it's linearity but that was fixed in BW2.

>Worst EXP system

im curious about your reasoning for this one, because I loved it. Change the exp system to this for Gen 7 and give us the Gen 6 exp share post game and thatd be perfection.

>Dream world

Was trash, you are correct.

>Too many widgets and what not

Also correct. Lots of gimmicky shit. There were cool things that came of it, though, like trading and battling on the fly.
>>
File: 1436504867915.jpg (23 KB, 477x337) Image search: [Google]
1436504867915.jpg
23 KB, 477x337
>>25551966
>day night events and encounters still happened
>>
The biggest misstep in gen 6 was not having unique sprites for ditto copies.

Literally just give an art intern a mission to take everyone else's sprites and give them ditto eyes.
>>
>>25552183
>Worst EXP system
spotted the retard
>>
>>25552226
To add to this, every Pokemon's eyes close when they're alseep. That's more work than ditto eyes.
>>
>>25552046
There were high/low tides in the Shoal Cave which I found to be pretty cool. Emerald also bought Lilicove City Sales and the Berry Master.
>>
>>25552236
>>25552226
Except, children, that's just animu bullshit. The TCG copied the animu, as well.

And in the animu, we're told that Ditto are supposed to copy the face, but Duplica's is just a fuckin tard.
>>
>>25552226
The heck are you talking about?

Only one Ditto had the ditto eyes/face when it transformed, and it was considered somewhat disabled. It eventually got the hang of faces, but only under threat of bodily harm did it finally cooperate.
>>
>>25552271
You trying to say that an endearing feature like ditto eyes wouldn't be a good addition to the game? Ditto doesn't really see competitive play so it's not a big nerf, but it adds a lot of flavor.
>>
>>25552271
It's represented like that in pretty much every media but the games, where GF is notorious for being lazy about details and polish.

On top of that, Ditto's dex entires mention that it does, in fact, get details wrong.
>>
File: 1457763317793.gif (675 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1457763317793.gif
675 KB, 480x270
>>25551916
I never finished Emerald as a kid, that's what went wrong

I beat it in a nuzlocke recently but it's just not quite the same
>>
>>25551916
Didn't have different Pokémon sprites in each version. Gold and Silver a best.
>>
>>25552195
Magma actually makes sense, because they want more land to expand human civilization. Aqua wanted more water for the Pokemon or something dumb. Hoenn was already an island, so raising the ocean would have killed everyone.
>>
>>25552336
>Magma actually makes sense

For maybe 2 seconds until you realize how fragile the ecosystem is. Like, that's science 101. Global climate change is only changing the tempurature by a few degrees and its already fucking shit up, but if you went ahead and eliminated part of the world's oceans, itd almost certainly cause mass extinction and lead to humanity's death.
>>
>>25552336
Not really. They wanted the Chimney volcano to erupt and flood lava into the ocean to make more land. Problem is the volcano is literally in the middle of the island. The only way it could get o the sea is if it wiped out half of Hoenn first.
>>
>>25552363
>>25552363
I'm not understand how this is that crazy for a radical team of villains who are already deciding to say fuck sea life, and only are concerned about the greater good/their zealotry.
>>
>>25551969

Also Wailmer.
>>
>>25551966

lol no they didn't
>>
>ruby/sapphire

a lot

>emerald

absolutely nothing
>>
>>25552416
>absolutely nothing
Still retained some of the more glaring problems, up to and including
>requiring postgame to trade mons from outside the region
>>>>"The internal battery has run dry. The game can be played. However, clock-based events will no longer occur."
>>
>>25552537
>postgame to trade mons outside the region

nothing wrong with that

>internal battery has run dry

so get a new one
>>
>>25551969
Caves. Zubat. Beeps.
>>
>>25552600
>nothing wrong with that
Probably is when the only other gen that doesn't allow that is Gen 5 - and even that gen had the excuse of only having games of one region with which to trade.
>so get a new one
Still doesn't change the fact that the problem is still there - and, unlike Gen 6's Exp Share which stays off once you turn it off, this will persist for far longer than you'll be able to.
>>
>>25552403
>>25552225
Espeon and Umbreon is day/night based event and works the same as it does in GSC

The fact that it has an internal clock also proves that it was still functioning on actual time, therefor day/night cycle too, it just didn't visually show day and night
>>
>>25552537
>"The internal battery has run dry. The game can be played. However, clock-based events will no longer occur."

So you prefer no warning and losing the ability to save/load?
>>
>>25552675
I prefer keeping the ability to save AND clock-based events still occurring.
>>
>Required having almost every game of the Gen including spin-offs to complete the Dex
Caused Nintendo of America to even drop the Franchise Slogan. There wasn't even Wi-Fi back then to justify this.

>Lacked a lot of popular G1-2 Pokémon hurt its reception to older fans
They didn't even have Eevee. Bam, a shitload of your audience suddenly doesn't care about your game.

>First game to start HEAVILY removing features, some of which were staples of the franchise that were added back in later games, like Day/Night Cycles

>No backwards compatibility

>Was the first game to shy away from serious villains to create goofy SUPER-VILLAINS.
Widely considered to be the lamest teams, especially Aqua who are braindead retarded.

>The theme of Land/Sea was admirable, but didn't work in execution.
The final 6 water routes are the worst part of the entire Pokémon franchise, an absolute chore.

>Continued the trend of third versions
Now don't get me wrong at all. Emerald and Platinum are great. But this was a mistake that Game Freak has acknowledged. There's a reason we haven't had a third version in over half a decade, and never will again. It's incredibly restrictive, halts a generation, ect, ect. Yes, it can potentially give GF more freedom to fix a Region, but it doesn't sell as well, and leaves us stuck in a Generation for an extra year. Both Gen 5 and Gen 6 ignored third versions, or even a third entry in the Generation, and I doubt they will be returning anytime soon.
>>
>Regional Dex
The Regional Dex itself was... DECENT. Hoenn has some pretty nice Pokémon. The problem was, the distribution of the Pokemon was so awful, you found yourself only coming across the same Pokémon each route, with your desired mons hidden away in nooks and crannies often too late in the game to enjoy. Gold and Silver also suffered from a butchered Regional Dex, but at least they had the excuse of it being an expansion of the original games set in 2 regions, whereas Gen 3 was supposed to be entirely its own thing. Both OR/AS and HG/SS failed to fix this. HG/SS, again, large enough to let it slide. OR/AS, was painfully not.

>Characters
OR/AS admittedly fixed this, or at least improved on it, but all the characters, especially in the originals, were flat and 1-dimentional. The Gym Leaders and Elite 4 are still the most uninteresting in the entire franchise, with little-to-no personality. OR/AS slightly helped this, and even gave a few characters (Wattson for example) more time outside of the Gym to interact with. But it still left much to be desired.

Gen 4 and 5, for example, were much better at handling NPC characters. All the Gym Leaders of Sinnoh, Johto, Kanto and Unova in those games had multiple appearances outside of their Gyms, interacted with you on quests, had their own backstories. Hell, B2/W2 in particular had entire optional cutscenes dedicated to fleshing out characters.

Yes, characters being interesting is a minor complaint, but little details make the playthrough more interesting.

>Double Battles
Don't get me wrong, I love Double Battles. But why were they reduced to being a gimmick in Gen 3? There's hardly any Double Battles anywhere, you'd have to buy the Gamecube games to truly enjoy them, until Gen 4 anyways, where they became more prevalent, and also, Wi-Fi.

>Music
Worst in the franchise, period. I dont wanna hear your "B-B"
>>
>Phy/Spe
I am admittedly not 100% certain on this, but I think the split didn't happen until Gen 4, in which case, wtf? If you're going to make the games not-backwards compatible, you can at least take the opportunity to fix all the glaring shittiness of the gameplay. (Ignore this if the split did happen in Gen 3, I am honestly not 100% sure)

>No new types
I feel like there should have been a slight gameplay-changing addition to the game each Gen to spice things up. This is purely opinion of course, but the lack of anything like it meant that we didn't really get a new Type until Gen 6. On an even more opinionated side-note, no Eevee meant no NEW Eevee. I am one of the people who believes Eevee should have an evolution of each type by now.

>Character designs
Mostly shit. Many of the Pokemon at the time didn't feel like they gelled well with the last two Generations. Admittedly, this is no longer a problem, we have so many Pokemon from all kinds of varieties that teh Hoenn ones actually kinda fit now. As for human characters, Gen 3 probably has the shittiest ones.

>Anime
I know this is barely relevant, but the anime got really shitty here too. Anybody who stuck through Johto was sure to drop the show here. The tie-in movies got really lazy, two of which during Gen 3 literally having the exact same plot. (Jirachi: Wishmaker, Temple of the Sea). Gen 4 saved things by actually giving the anime a focused and interesting overarching story, and actually giving a damn about the movies enough to make an entire trilogy.

>Contests
Shit, always were, always are. The only sidegames worth playing were the Poéathlon games, which were actually quite fun. They were like a collection of mobile games you could play for a few minutes to earn actual prizes useful for your main game.
>>
>OR/AS
Fixed almost nothing, are the most dumbed down games to date, practically a slap in the face from Game Freak. Masuda is on record as lying in interviews to hide the shit """"post-game"""", giving piss-poor excuses to removed features. Don't get me started on the Delta Episode. I could rant for ages about the remakes alone. (I actually have a few personal notes that suggest GF didn't even want to do the)

But I have already taken up 4 posts, I am done with that shit show. You should all know it's long list of problems.

All in all, I consider Gen 3 to be Pokémon's darkest point.

Gen 1 is widely considered to be Pokémons golden age, and Gen 2 was an expansion riding off of that.

Gen 3, right up until Diamond and Pearl was completely fanbase splitting.

It wasn't until Platinum where we started getting a string of solid games, right through Gen 5.

Gen 6 is in an awkward "it looks and plays great, but its missing the substance and content" phase of transition, partly because GF doesn't know where to focus their attention right now. Worryingly, Masuda said during X/Y interviews that they made the games easier to compete with mobile gaming. Hopefully he will drop that mentality. Not saying Pokemon should be like Dark Souls, but I shouldnt be able to stomp through everything without fainting once, like I could in X/Y/OR/AS.

But I believe Pokemon is in a great place right now, and I will be optimistic that Sun/Moon tackle the problems I had with X/Y, and we shall never again hit a point in the franchise where the franchise is as torn as they were during Gen 3.

/rant
>>
>>25551916
I loved Emerald. I didn't even know there was a 3rd generation of Pokemon so I got one copy and was super excited about it. I didn't know any of the 3rd gen pokemon so when I encountered a new one I felt great about it. Not to mention that that game had an actual story attached to it. I was super hyped to be able to fight Rayquaza and all the legendaries. Getting the Regis with Relicanth, Digs etc? What are those golems, and why are they so deeply hidden? Holy fuck what a mystery that was! Not to mention I was a little turd and wasn't thinking about buying revives/potions etc so defeating E4 was a huge challenge. Loved every single bit of it.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.