[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never played any of the first gen games before and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8
I've never played any of the first gen games before and I'm trying to understand why anyone would want to play RB over Y? Is it just for nostalgia? Because to me it seems like Yellow is better in almost every way.
>>
It's impossible to acquire Raichu
>>
That image isn't true at all. They were made to like closer to the anime because Yellow is the game of the anime.
>>
If you think Haunter's Yellow sprite looks better than his R/B one, you can eat a big ol' bowl of shit for all I care.
>>
>>25536478
God the RB Blastoise still puts fear into me while the Y does not
>>
>>25536478
I'd imagine most people who play R/B instead of Yellow are doing it for the exclusives. Yellow doesn't have Meowth or Electabuzz, for example.
>>
>>25536478
>Is it just for nostalgia?

Partially. I also actually prefer the sprites in RB.

Granted a large part of that is nostalgia as well, but there was also a retarded sort of charm about a lot of them. They felt too sterile in Yellow. Objectively they were higher quality in Yellow, though.
>>
So should I get Pokémon Yellow or Pokémon Red?
>>
>>25536478
Because Yellow just hands you everything on a silver platter
>>
1. Red has all the crazy glitches that were mostly fixed in Yelloow

2. The pokemon looked way more stylized and intimidating, and not as cuddly super squeaky clean friendly as the anime it spawned.

Of course those really are the only reasons to play RB over Yellow.

Unless your just that much of an anti anime fag that Jessie and James gives you an aneurysm.
>>
>>25536573
None of the above. Blue is the patrician's choice. Magmar alone BTFOs any of Red's exclusives.
>>
Yellow has the shittiest sprites and the pikachu gimmick.
>>
Don't forget they also modified the sprites from Red/Green to Blue
>>
>>25536613
>waiting until surf to get your MVP
>>
>>25536478
I prefer a lot of the sprites in Red and Blue to those in Yellow, they just seem to be more dynamic and better shaded. It's just that when R/B ducks up, they duck up hard. (The Machop and Poli- line come to mind).

Yellow isn't really a definitive edition per-se, it's just a "special" edition to appeal to anime fans.
>>
>>25536613
Red has Mankey, Growlithe, and Scyther
>>
I know this is such a trivial decision but holy shit I've been trying to decide for like an hour now.
>>
>>25536672
>It's just that when R/B ducks up, they duck up hard. (The Machop and Poli- line come to mind).

I've been doing a lot of ruminating on the artstyle of RB, and I've come to the conclusion that there are at least 3 artists who've worked on the pokemon sprites.

>Artist A, Sugimori himself. You can see this clearly with his Toriyama-esque dynamics, specifically the eyes. Nidoking, Gyarados and Mewtwo are good examples

>Artist B, an ameteur artist with flawed skills but good ideas. Usually has somewhat awkward, but strangely cool sprites with clear technical flaws. Ex: Charizard and Kangaskhan.

>Artist C. Literally a 5 year old. Cannot draw whatsoever, can't even be assed to make thing's symmetrical. Ex: Vileplume, Machop, Geodude
>>
>>25536691

Do you want to fuck with missingno?

R/B.

Do you want slightly less retarded movesets?
Y.
>>
Does Yellow have the mew glitch?
>>
>>25536735
What can you even do with missingno?
>>
yellow's sprites are ass

>>25536756
yes
>>
>>25536756
Yes

>>25536771
You can exploit Missingno for infinite items and catching different pokemon. Also you can catch Missingno itself and dick around.
>>
>>25536756
Yellow has pretty much every major glitch that isn't Cinnabar Island-related, actually.
>>
>>25536672

I feel like it can easily be separated from the anime and appeal to the non anime fans.

All three starters, better moves, and slightly more color. And I prefer to think of Jessie and James as new Rocket Executive bosses instead of just anime fan service.

The rest of Red and Blue is pretty much left in tact.
>>
>>25536771
Flying.
Kangaskhan.
>>
File: tentacruel-color.png (819 B, 56x56) Image search: [Google]
tentacruel-color.png
819 B, 56x56
>>25536733
Yeah, sprite quality is definitely haphazard in the original games.

Yellow is more stabilized, but they don't really reach the quality of the best in Red/Blue. Tentacruel is definitely an example.
>>
File: ss (2016-02-23 at 09.33.16).png (241 KB, 605x597) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-02-23 at 09.33.16).png
241 KB, 605x597
>>25536478
I bought Red over Yellow on the eShop because I've never played either before, so I wanted to start with the very first one also getting stuck with a fucking Pikachu sounds terrible.
>>
>>25537070
You don't have to keep Pikachu in your party and you can get all the starters later in the game
>>
Yellow is closer to the anime.
The anime is the worst thing about the franchise (except autistic fans, etc).
>>
File: 1456352331108.jpg (54 KB, 716x520) Image search: [Google]
1456352331108.jpg
54 KB, 716x520
>>25537115
BUT MY STARTER IS MY MAIN POKÉMON
CCCCAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW
>>
>>25536874
Is kangaskhan that hard to get in safari zone?
Can't remember what the catch rates are like in gen 1.. Will it be hard to get a chansey? I want to use one on my current run-through
>>
>>25537185
Not just a matter of catch rate, encounter rate for it is low as balls.
>>
File: received_10156578833365551.jpg (20 KB, 344x586) Image search: [Google]
received_10156578833365551.jpg
20 KB, 344x586
>No TM duplication in Yellow
Literally the only thing keeping me from buying it over Red. I know people who have pokemon tournaments a lot and have established they are having RBY ones so I need all those body slams and blizzards
>>
i got yellow and im doing an easy peasy run with all three starters and nidoking and snorlax, but once i beat it im getting red and doing a more interesting team
>>
>>25536478
Yellow doesn't have a lot of the pokemon RB has and it's considerably easier.
>>
>>25536478
Yellow is basically "Special Anime Edition". Yeah, it's cute to have Pikachu following you around, and the sprites look closer to the actual artwork of the pokemon, never mind anime depictions, but beyond that it really was just a cash grab to capitalize on the anime being popular at the time. Team Rocket encounters usually feature Jessie and James as a battle but they aren't given any personality or anything like that. They just happen to pop up in most Rocket battles. The game also literally hands you all three starters plus Pikachu, so it's a bit easy mode.

Personally, if there was a version of Red/Blue with the Yellow sprites hacked in I'd call that the best gen 1 experience, because it gives you the originally intended game with better visuals. Yellow shuffles a bunch of minor things around and the biggest feature is following Pikachu. Just because it's listed as a special edition doesn't mean that it's really all that special. Play Red or Blue first, then if you want to pick up Yellow after it makes a nice little extra with some more silly nostalgia.
>>
File: Roxie & Koffing (4).png (362 KB, 936x965) Image search: [Google]
Roxie & Koffing (4).png
362 KB, 936x965
A) Nostalgia

B) Slightly different Pokemon variety, and you may prefer the exclusives.

I personally did/am doing a Poison-Type Monorun, in which case Red Version is the only real option for me, because I can start with Bulbasaur, and it has the most Poison-Type exclusives as options.

Next time I play, I will probably buy Yellow version though.
>>
Because glitches are fun.
>>
>>25536535
Still nope. They were redrawn simply because RG and RB sprites were completely butchered compared to the original Sugimori's artwork.
>>
File: 1457592104067.jpg (113 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457592104067.jpg
113 KB, 1280x720
>>25536478
>bought blue
>forgot the shit sprites
>missing out on based yellow

I literally JUST myself
>>
>>25536478
glorious black-and-white > shitty colors
>>
>>25536874
>flying mega kangaskhan
Soon nowhere will be safe
>>
>>25536499
Mew glitch motherfucker

Encounter value: 85
>>
Doing a blind nuzlocke of red, am I supposed to bash my head against zubats until I outlevel the trainers?
>highest is 12 beedrill
>mt. Moon trainers are 12-14
>>
>>25536735
You can access Missingno in Yellow with the Mew glitch too.
>>
>>25536599
I'm okay with you however, Yellow has as at least as much of Glitches as R/B, it's extremely buggy and fun to exploit
>>
>>25541022
>blind

what the fuck
>>
>>25536478
I have a better question: Why would anyone pick ANY of these instead of Red++?
>>
>>25539791
not even remotely true
>>
>>25541157
as in they refuse to look up information to help them, not that they're playing the game with their eyes closed, if that's what you were thinking you fucking retard unless that isn't what you meant and you were just marveling at their underage, in which case I take it back, not retard
>>
>>25536478

I picked Yellow because of color, I would have picked Blue otherwise.

Red/Blue have more interesting choices in wild Pokemon for the most part, and you also get the classic starter choice rather than getting all three starters. They're also easier to glitch.

Yellow is missing a lot of Pokemon in the wild due to removing some version exclusives and even moving common ones, so some areas end up being extremely lame and samey. The decisions they made are really odd since a lot of the missing Pokemon you can get anyway, they just moved where they are.

Viridian Forest no longer has the Weedle line or Pikachu in Yellow, so it's only Caterpie and Pidgey lines. This is the worst in my opinion because it is a fairly large area to only have two types of Pokemon to find. They could have made it more interesting by having like 1-5% Pinsir/Scyther encounters or even Venonat.

Route 11 no longer has Spearow, Ekans and Sandshrew and instead has Pidgey and Rattata lines, which can be found pretty much anywhere. Both Sandshrew and Spearow can be found in other places, so it's a weird choice.

Pokemon mansion no longer has Ponyta, Vulpix, or Koffing... so it ends up being mostly annoying Raticate/Rattata with the occasional Grimer and Growlithe. Ditto is a rare addition to the basement floor. It's another weird one since Vulpix and Ponyta are obtainable in the game anyway.

There are some Pokemon added that make a difference in Yellow, like early Mankey/Venonat, but most of the interesting ones are found with the Super Rod/Surf after you've pretty much beaten the game.
>>
File: QgXYzEV.png (242 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
QgXYzEV.png
242 KB, 500x382
Bought Yellow for the sprites and because my physical copy wont boot up anymore.

Also bought Blue for everything else.
I'm playing them at the same time with different teams. It's been interesting to see the variations between the two.

It might just be my imagination but Yellow seems far easier, especially the rival battles, despite having a disadvantage in the first gym. which really isn't difficult at all with a pokemon that learns a fighting move early like Mankey,

One thing that really made me laugh was seeing how many pokemon are just handed to you, especially in Yellow. This was something that people on this board raged against in XY/ORAS because it was too "hand-holdy."
>>
>>25539791
the sprites were made before the sugimori artwork though
>>
first I bought blue (originally had red) and it was a lot of fun.

yellow was a definite upgrade though, playing through it now.
>>
>>25536478
So I can get as many Body Slam as I need.
>>
god i loved chubbychu

why did they make him thinner?
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.